The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Madrose

2/12 Hawks vs Bruins

OK, we didn't expect Hawks win all remaining games, they just need win more games than our rivals for playoff spots.Boston was ideal - top team on the East to lose with.

But if Hawks seriously want play something in the playtoffs, they still need add 1-2 top 4 dmen.

Thanks to Philadelphia and Toronto for their wins over our main WC2 spot contenders, Minnesota and Colorado.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

galaxytrash said on 1 hour ago:

really?

the guy is starting to come around on the second line. 9 points in his last 5 games. 11g and 18a in 57 games in his first season in north america.

one could assume fairly safely that you could expect him to improve next year with a year of north american hockey under his belt.

what is it about his game that you don't like?

He's terrified contact of any kind and constantly bails out. He seems to treat the puck like a hot potato and passes it (even if someone is covered) just to get rid of it asap.

Speed is his main asset, and tonight there was a perfect example of what I mean. He chipped a puck in deep near the Boston blue line and zipped in fast after it, but just bailed out when he heard footsteps. Just completely stopped skating and Boston just walked out of their end with puck. No effort at all to buy time by eating the puck in the corner or making a play.

Taterman said on 1 hour ago:

He's terrified contact of any kind and constantly bails out. He seems to treat the puck like a hot potato and passes it (even if someone is covered) just to get rid of it asap.

Speed is his main asset, and tonight there was a perfect example of what I mean. He chipped a puck in deep near the Boston blue line and zipped in fast after it, but just bailed out when he heard footsteps. Just completely stopped skating and Boston just walked out of their end with puck. No effort at all to buy time by eating the puck in the corner or making a play.

I do agree with this assessment. Points are nice obviously, but his soft play won’t last in the playoffs. He’s very easy to play against. Not sure that’s what we need moving forward. But it is welcomed that he’s at least scoring a bit now, when he wasn’t, I didn’t see any reason for him to be in the NHL, I hope he’s still figuring out how to “contact” and how to avoid it while winning a board battle!!!

cudaman said on 11 hours ago:

I’d like to know the reason?  He would  be a better option than Perrlini or Sykura who both should be in Rockford

galaxytrash said on 4 hours ago:

really?

the guy is starting to come around on the second line. 9 points in his last 5 games. 11g and 18a in 57 games in his first season in north america.

one could assume fairly safely that you could expect him to improve next year with a year of north american hockey under his belt.

what is it about his game that you don't like?

Don't shoot the messenger. Now if they bring him up again and send him back down he has to go on waivers again. With a bunch of forwards injured now chances are he will be taken this time. I didn't send him down I don't know why they sent him down but they had their reason.

Sorry GT for some reason it put this post here instead of the Martinsen one but you know what I mean.

Edited by Creature1958

tincup61 said on 11 hours ago:

Strange, I'm looking forward to seeing Kunitz back in the lineup.

Perlini needs to eff off. It's pick your poison between he and Kunitz, but I guess you might as well pick Kunitz, even though the "improvement" is minimal.

Strome was very disappointing on that 5-on-3 in the first. He tried to force at least 3 passes to Debrincat that were easily broken up; if the play isn't there, don't force it.

It's nice that the PP has improved dramatically, but the PK is still an utter zit show. You can only rely on a hot PP for so long. It's also clear that when Kane is neutralized (one assist), this team has zero secondary scoring behind he, Toews, and Debrincat (and maybe Strome). Honestly, if the Hawks are indeed sellers, I hope AA and perhaps Saad are at least dealt. I still feel like they can be useful players, but they don't work on here.

Nice seeing Kane sticking up for himself. Wish Hayden had an actual fight there, but it was nice he responded all the same.

I thought Delia had an okay first, great 2nd, and was hung out to dry in the 3rd.

Also, I love Foley, but that was one of the worst games I've heard him call. I hope he was hammered. Nevertheless, he's still the man.

Granada said on 10 minutes ago:

Perlini needs to eff off. It's pick your poison between he and Kunitz, but I guess you might as well pick Kunitz, even though the "improvement" is minimal.

Strome was very disappointing on that 5-on-3 in the first. He tried to force at least 3 passes to Debrincat that were easily broken up; if the play isn't there, don't force it.

It's nice that the PP has improved dramatically, but the PK is still an utter zit show. You can only rely on a hot PP for so long. It's also clear that when Kane is neutralized (one assist), this team has zero secondary scoring behind he, Toews, and Debrincat (and maybe Strome). Honestly, if the Hawks are indeed sellers, I hope AA and perhaps Saad are at least dealt. I still feel like they can be useful players, but they don't work on here.

Nice seeing Kane sticking up for himself. Wish Hayden had an actual fight there, but it was nice he responded all the same.

I thought Delia had an okay first, great 2nd, and was hung out to dry in the 3rd.

Also, I love Foley, but that was one of the worst games I've heard him call. I hope he was hammered. Nevertheless, he's still the man.

What was so aggravating about that 5 on 3 was that not one player even moved from where they were at not one. It was just pass,pass,pass trying to open up the back door but Boston wasn't falling for it and they had it covered with no reason to move from the triangle. As you said they kept knocking the passes away.

Now look what they did on that 4 on 4. They were moving and circling the zone because of the extra space. Duh. Seems you would have even more space on a 5 on 3 so try using it next time and quit standing around pissing I mean passing it away.

• Like 2

Creature1958 said on 20 minutes ago:

What was so aggravating about that 5 on 3 was that not one player even moved from where they were at not one. It was just pass,pass,pass trying to open up the back door but Boston wasn't falling for it and they had it covered with no reason to move from the triangle. As you said they kept knocking the passes away.

Now look what they did on that 4 on 4. They were moving and circling the zone because of the extra space. Duh. Seems you would have even more space on a 5 on 3 so try using it next time and quit standing around pissing I mean passing it away.

Agreed. They reverted back to exactly what they used to do before they improved on the PP: trying to force the back door play when it simply wasn't there and being too stationary.

Granada said on Just now:

Agreed. They reverted back to exactly what they used to do before they improved on the PP: trying to force the back door play when it simply wasn't there and being too stationary.

Hope they learned cuz I do not want to go down that rabbit hole again.

Creature1958 said on 4 minutes ago:

Hope they learned cuz I do not want to go down that rabbit hole again.

The main problem is that the low hanging fruit was there for a bit, so now they go to the well too many times, as in the back door play. Kane was making insanely accurate passes during the last bit and the team goes when he goes. The same problems are still there, just not as glaring when 88 has the team on his back. What if he slows the rest of the way? I think you’ll see a lot more of what happened last night. The team is still very easy to play against, and I feel the bottom 6 is really not that good at all. Defense needs a ton of work still, so anyone thinking that adding a couple rookies is gonna correct that. Well!!!

Hawks need to step it up in a real hurry and start playing a physical game. It would seem like a real waste battling to make a WC spot only to be eliminated in the 1st round. They'll be eaten alive if there's  no emotion or tenacity to their game. Being soft only cuts it in preseason.

SeaCreature said on 55 minutes ago:

Hawks need to step it up in a real hurry and start playing a physical game. It would seem like a real waste battling to make a WC spot only to be eliminated in the 1st round. They'll be eaten alive if there's  no emotion or tenacity to their game. Being soft only cuts it in preseason.

It's a good point in that the playoffs always get more physical.

Northernhawk1 said on 11 hours ago:

Koekkoek should have dressed not Forsling

Ward or Delia wouldn't have mattered which started, keeping Delia in for the 3rd seemed okay at 4-3 but maybe just maybe after the 5th Boston goal you switch to Ward?

Forsling is another, who has disappointed, gives the puck away constantly and soft on D he doesn't convince anyone that he owns his blue line. There was hype about his skills.. now I'm seeing he's never really had the top skills you need to be in this league, I remember there was talk [not here] with others as his comparison to Lidstrom.. no doubt that was wishful thinking.. 

And by the way as far as turnovers go.. D-cat is still caughing the puck up.. unforced turnovers, I know some won't agree with this.. it's blatant at times,  I appreciate what he's doing offensively.. don't get me wrong.. just would like to see him tighten that up, I know he's young.

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

The main problem is that the low hanging fruit was there for a bit, so now they go to the well too many times, as in the back door play. Kane was making insanely accurate passes during the last bit and the team goes when he goes. The same problems are still there, just not as glaring when 88 has the team on his back. What if he slows the rest of the way? I think you’ll see a lot more of what happened last night. The team is still very easy to play against, and I feel the bottom 6 is really not that good at all. Defense needs a ton of work still, so anyone thinking that adding a couple rookies is gonna correct that. Well!!!

That 5 on 3 not one player moved not even Kane. Boston didn't have to do a damn thing other then stay where they were in their triangle keep them passing around the perimeter and deflecting any shot going east and west. They had 1 shot on that 5 on 3 just 1 so for 48 seconds they passed the puck around. How they played that 4 on 4 and scoring a goal is how they should have played the 5 on 3 and we are looking at a 2 or 3 to zero score.

Now the Joker is better defensively than Gus and Forsling and is pretty damn good offensively where he could take Gus's spot on the PP. You know I'm high on my boy Carlsson because he plays defense and plays it well. If Rockford pairs them and let's them play together you have a right and left hand pair so no having to play on the off side. You now have an offensive and defensive pair that in my eyes would be comparable to Doug Wilson and Bob Murray. Dahlstrom looks good with Murphy but horrible with anyone else. They need to balance the defensive pairings cuz having 2 offensive defensemen as a pair doesn't work.

SeaCreature said on 1 hour ago:

Most of the players have only seen the playoffs on tv. I don't care if it's a quick first round exit its experience and I'd rather they get some now if they make it rather than adding pieces to make them better and going in with no experience.

Big-T said on 4 hours ago:

Creature1958 said on 2 hours ago:

Most of the players have only seen the playoffs on tv. I don't care if it's a quick first round exit its experience and I'd rather they get some now if they make it rather than adding pieces to make them better and going in with no experience.

I looked at last night as a test of where this team really is after the winning streak.  I saw nothing that showed me that this is a team that is ready to challenge for the Cup.  As T said, the D needs a ton of work, so that brings up the whole question of how good are they gonna get with a couple of high draft picks that won't mature until Toews and Kane are in walkers.  The Hawks could well be the best of the bad bunch of teams just outside wild card spots, but I don't see them as any threat in the playoffs.

But, Creature's point is well taken, if they can get a wild card spot, the experience of at least one playoff series will be great for all who have not experienced it before.  They can make some helpful additions in the summer and possibly make this team a more serious contender.  I don't think that is going to happen by missing the wild card spot and getting better draft picks.  The Joker is a prime example of why, in my view, that is not the way to get this team into position while Toews and Kane can still play top-notch hockey.  

since or along this game, Minnesota, Colorado, Edmonton and Vancouver all lost their games too.It means Hawks loss against Bruins didnt worse standings stituation only declined one game opportunity to move ahead to PO.

• Like 2