The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
MERPER

Dahlstrom

There may already be a thread for him, not sure, but if not... wanted to start one to get everyone's thoughts.

I know this isn't his first cup of tea with the pro squad but I've liked what I've seen from him this time around. He's got good size, seems to be willing to take a hit or make a hit to make a play, will move guys out from the front of the net and is pretty mobile.

For me, the eternal pessimist, I am actually optimistic about this kid. He is already miles ahead of Rutta or Manning, IMHO.

MERPER said on 3 minutes ago:

There may already be a thread for him, not sure, but if not... wanted to start one to get everyone's thoughts.

I know this isn't his first cup of tea with the pro squad but I've liked what I've seen from him this time around. He's got good size, seems to be willing to take a hit or make a hit to make a play, will move guys out from the front of the net and is pretty mobile.

For me, the eternal pessimist, I am actually optimistic about this kid. He is already miles ahead of Rutta or Manning, IMHO.

He’s an NHL defense man, something we’ve been hard pressed to get. Manning is a fire able offense. Rutta too at 2 years, when we got Dalhstrom in tow, is criminal. We need more NHL caliber Dmen and forwards to make this work!!!

• Like 1

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

He’s an NHL defense man, something we’ve been hard pressed to get. Manning is a fire able offense. Rutta too at 2 years, when we got Dalhstrom in tow, is criminal. We need more NHL caliber Dmen and forwards to make this work!!!

Rutta was only signed to a one year deal, so he will be gone at the end of the season. or, hopefully, sooner for a pick.

• Like 1

vadarx said on 1 hour ago:

Rutta was only signed to a one year deal, so he will be gone at the end of the season. or, hopefully, sooner for a pick.

Don’t be so sure, I could see Stan keeping him on a lower salary deal. We all thought that Roszival and Runblad would be gone, and well!!!

Big-T said on 6 minutes ago:

Don’t be so sure, I could see Stan keeping him on a lower salary deal. We all thought that Roszival and Runblad would be gone, and well!!!

Must be an “R” thing then!!!

• Like 2

Big-T said on 4 hours ago:

I woulda rather have signed Holden or Hickey (if he coulda been persuaded to leave the Island).  TvR was another possibility although he was still RFA, I believe.  All three settled for comparable deals that Manning somehow got.  Not sure Manning can even be moved now except to the press box.

Big-T said on 2 hours ago:

he is an ufa after the season. I highly doubt he wants to stick around after being sent down this year. let's see how he does in Rockford this year. at most I can see them signing him for depth, but not for much. 

I hope he does well in the Rock and they ship him out for a 5th rounder or something. anything would be good.

yooper496 said on 7 hours ago:

I woulda rather have signed Holden or Hickey (if he coulda been persuaded to leave the Island).  TvR was another possibility although he was still RFA, I believe.  All three settled for comparable deals that Manning somehow got.  Not sure Manning can even be moved now except to the press box.

I don’t see how anyone takes him. It would a been better to give him 3.5 for one year, than the extra year. How Manning had any negotiating power is beyond me. What Stan thought he seen in him is just more proof of a front office in peril. How anyone can stick up the moves of Rutta, Manning, Davidson and keeping the Joker around is just plain awful, then there’s the other moves. I mean how many times does a GM get to clean up his own mess? I also don’t see how anyone could defend him and his constantly cleaning up his messes!!!

• Like 1

Big-T said on 2 hours ago:

I don’t see how anyone takes him. It would a been better to give him 3.5 for one year, than the extra year. How Manning had any negotiating power is beyond me. What Stan thought he seen in him is just more proof of a front office in peril. How anyone can stick up the moves of Rutta, Manning, Davidson and keeping the Joker around is just plain awful, then there’s the other moves. I mean how many times does a GM get to clean up his own mess? I also don’t see how anyone could defend him and his constantly cleaning up his messes!!!

definitely not defending him here, just stating the specifics contract-wise and my opinion on such. 

MERPER said on 15 hours ago:

He has all of 17 games over these two seasons so when he hits that rough stretch, and it’s inevitable because every player does, I hope Colliton lets him play through it. I like having Carl up because he and Murphy give the Hawks that different look on defence,  I know the coach trusts them to do the heavy lifting, Dahlstrom is near 73% and Murphy 68% d zone starts.

• Like 2

I was real high on the big Swede after his first two prospect camps but thought he plateaued at the Rock......I was wrong about the later. What he was doing out there was settling into the North American game and two unspectacular AHL seasons was just what the doctor ordered and stay at home guys are rarely spectacular anyway.

He also has that NHL ready frame I go on and on about,how many of our D-men pick themselves up and dust themselves off after that hit in Dallas the other night. This is also a young player that should have been re-signed by now,Hayden was extended @750K for three years last summer and I doubt Dahlstrom woulda needed more than that but as it is,he might want Rutta money if he continues to see close to 20mins a game and he'll deserve it. A million here and a million there!

GO HAWKS!!!!!  

• Like 1

In regards to Manning, Stan himself actually said this about Manning after he signed him, "I think his best years are coming." 

I'm not kidding; Stan actually said this in a video from July 1st (I think), titled something like "Recent Signings". He was talking about the three recent signings of Ward, Kunitz and Manning and when talking about Manning, he made the comment about thinking Manning's best years are coming. I listened twice to be sure I heard right. 

I wonder if this is why he gave Manning $2M a year salary and a $500K bonus.

Big-T said on 5 hours ago:

This sums it all up perfectly.  Great post, T!

• Like 1

AcesandEights said on 40 minutes ago:

In regards to Manning, Stan himself actually said this about Manning after he signed him, "I think his best years are coming." 

I'm not kidding; Stan actually said this in a video from July 1st (I think), titled something like "Recent Signings". He was talking about the three recent signings of Ward, Kunitz and Manning and when talking about Manning, he made the comment about thinking Manning's best years are coming. I listened twice to be sure I heard right. 

I wonder if this is why he gave Manning $2M a year salary and a $500K bonus.

I mean, as an owner, I’d have to really like the guy or realize he has compromising photos of me for me to keep him around. I seriously wonder if Stan Bowman really knows what hockey is? For the longest time it was reported that Q told him what he wanted and Stan would go fine it, then Stan wanted total control and since then, 2016/2017, the team has been in utter freefall. I think it’s clear that he was helped along the way and really is being exposed for what he is now!!!

Big-T said on 9 minutes ago:

I mean, as an owner, I’d have to really like the guy or realize he has compromising photos of me for me to keep him around. I seriously wonder if Stan Bowman really knows what hockey is? For the longest time it was reported that Q told him what he wanted and Stan would go fine it, then Stan wanted total control and since then, 2016/2017, the team has been in utter freefall. I think it’s clear that he was helped along the way and really is being exposed for what he is now!!!

All the more reason to get the Hunters, they certainly know hockey. 

As for Dahlstrom, I was a big Bolland fan since his junior days so I watched closely who they drafted from the pick they got for him, Dahlstrom was very intriguing because of his size and scouting reports. He had some good camps and had some decent gsmes last season, looks like his skating has improved and he's a lot more comfortable out there, great to see.

OldTimeHawky said on 20 minutes ago:

All the more reason to get the Hunters, they certainly know hockey. 

As for Dahlstrom, I was a big Bolland fan since his junior days so I watched closely who they drafted from the pick they got for him, Dahlstrom was very intriguing because of his size and scouting reports. He had some good camps and had some decent gsmes last season, looks like his skating has improved and he's a lot more comfortable out there, great to see.

Ya, Dahlstrom has looked good, but if it doesn’t last again, then we have another hole to fill. Also, you mentioned Bolland, look who coached him in Jrs, 🤪, so I believe the Hunters would be amazing here!!!

Big-T said on 3 hours ago:

Ya, Dahlstrom has looked good, but if it doesn’t last again, then we have another hole to fill. Also, you mentioned Bolland, look who coached him in Jrs, 🤪, so I believe the Hunters would be amazing here!!!

Yeah he started good when called up last season and it didn't last but he did play big minutes in Rockford on their playoff run so hopefully he's consistent this time and sticks around.

Yeah Bolland had a great coach in London, time for Tim to step up to the NHL, preferably with Chicago 😁

OldTimeHawky said on 2 minutes ago:

Yeah he started good when called up last season and it didn't last but he did play big minutes in Rockford on their playoff run so hopefully he's consistent this time and sticks around.

Yeah Bolland had a great coach in London, time for Tim to step up to the NHL, preferably with Chicago 😁

Believe it or not, Tim isn’t related. It’s just Dale and Mark. Dale would be a solid coach and a good channel up to his brother Mark as GM, Mark just built the Leaves, and I think with Dales son Dylan could take over London, and give info on the Jr players coming up, it could be a dynasty in the making. Tim has the worst nose in sports, but he’d be a welcome burden here, nose and all!!!

Dahlstrom has done a very good job thus far, he does what many of us around here have been longing for, clears the front of the net, battles in the corners, doesn’t really poke check, has size and good mobility he certainly has change the dynamics of our defence, it’s also helps JC in minimizing Seabs ice time.

• Like 1

Big-T said on 19 hours ago:

Believe it or not, Tim isn’t related. It’s just Dale and Mark. Dale would be a solid coach and a good channel up to his brother Mark as GM, Mark just built the Leaves, and I think with Dales son Dylan could take over London, and give info on the Jr players coming up, it could be a dynasty in the making. Tim has the worst nose in sports, but he’d be a welcome burden here, nose and all!!!

The worst nose, or the best?  😃

He reminds me of Elaine's dad on Seinfeld.

Seinfeld_205_The_Jacket.jpg&f=1

tim-hunter.jpg&f=1

Edited by Taterman
  • Like 1

MERPER said on On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM:

Like you I think the size is important , however at least to me he appears a bit slow, 

That's ok as long as he clears the front of the net aggressively and works hard in the corners

I don't know if Murph's helping Dahlstrom more or if it's the other way around but the big Swede looks better at just about everything as the year goes on. When we see the contracts offered other young D-men the last year or two,it's hard to believe Dahlstrom's still unsigned!

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

Edited by hsbob

hsbob said on 25 minutes ago:

I don't know if Murph's helping Dahlstrom more or if it's the other way around but the big Swede looks better at just about everything as the year goes on. When we see the contracts offered other young D-men the last year or two,it's hard to believe Dahlstrom's still unsigned!

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

The two of them by size alone make a pretty unique pairing for a Hawks team. The fact is that their physical attributes can accomplish a lot of things the smaller guys can’t and vice versa. It’s a nice mix and gives the coaches the ability to match players with situations. Just watching the two of them pin guys and stop a cycle is a pleasant change from stick waving and chasing. I just hope management isn’t so enamoured with what’s coming down the pipe, and there are no sure bets, that they’re overlooking what they have in Dahlstrom. Hope he doesn’t become a Svedberg and is just a placeholder until the flavour of the day arrives. 

• Like 4