The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Okay guys with your upcoming draft knowledge,what should we realistically expect to get.

The lotto allows teams to move up from 14 all the way to #1, however, the most a team can fall is 3 spots I believe. So the worst the Hawks are allowed to drop is to 10. The best we can do is #1. It would take a lot of luck, but I think moving up into the top 5 is a realistic hope!!!

• Like 1

Blackhawks have the chance to pick either 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 or 10.

Nashvilles' 1st rounder will be either 27, 29, 30 or 31, if they lose in either the 1st or 2nd round it'll be 27th, if they those in the conference finals then 29th...finals appearance will land us the 30th or 31st.

So best case senerio is 1st and 27th

Worst case is 10th and 31st

Is this considered a deep draft,a poor one, or somewhere in between. I know of Dahlin,after that ?

TSN's Craig Button seems to think that the three best forwards behind Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, and Tkachuk, will all play in the NHL next year. He's also a huge fan of Bouchard in London. There are also a couple of other gems sitting there as well, maybe that huge kid Noel in Oshawa.  If the Hawks stay put, or hopefully move up, there is a good player waiting there to be picked.

I've only seen these CHL kids a couple of times on TV during the season or during the prospects game or tourneys. Someone like Big-T has probably seen them multiple times in Windsor. He'll probably have a better in depth analysis of some of them.

Edited by tincup61

tsilver said on 44 minutes ago:

Is this considered a deep draft,a poor one, or somewhere in between. I know of Dahlin,after that ?

It’s good for Dmen, but like all drafts, not every kid makes it. Maybe 1/3 of the 1st rounders actually make it. This is why I’m nervous about this draft. I feel that the Hawks will continue to do what they do, draft smaller kids with not much hope of making it. I also feel that we will slip back a spot or two. Brady Tkachuk would be nice with his size, but his scoring seems to be that of a 3rd rounder. Evan Bouchard is very intriguing. When the Hunter bros say he’s one of the smartest hockey players, we should listen. Bouchard is big 6’2” 195. But he seems like a future stay at home dman. He should be around in the 7-10 spot. A few of the dmen are pint sized and I don’t want any of that. This draft could help kill this franchise for a while. We have pretty bare cupboards and this pick needs to either 1) hit and have a good NHLer, or 2) use the pick for trade to get help now. The real question is what are the Hawks plans? Are they even looking for help now? If not, this rebuild will more than likely take 10 years as the odds and chances of everyone planning out is not as great as we’d like. You really do need a #1-3 overall pick to ensure you get a franchise type player. And if our franchise players we have now are done, I doubt we pick in the top 3 for a while, and we will have to deal with picks 7-15 for a while and that is called mediocrity, I’m 100% against a full on rebuild. By the time all these kids are ready, it could be after forever!!!

Edited by Big-T

tincup61 said on 13 minutes ago:

TSN's Craig Button seems to think that the three best forwards behind Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, and Tkachuk, will all play in the NHL next year. He's also a huge fan of Bouchard in London. There are also a couple of other gems sitting there as well, maybe that huge kid Noel in Oshawa.  If the Hawks stay put, or hopefully move up, there is a good player waiting there to be picked.

I've only seen these CHL kids a couple of times on TV during the season or during the prospects game or tourneys. Someone like Big-T has probably seen them multiple times in Windsor. He'll probably have a better in depth analysis of some of them.

Thanks for the insight . I knew some of you have good knowledge of draft possibilities.

Big-T said on 2 minutes ago:

It’s good for Dmen, but like all drafts, not every kid makes it. Maybe 1/3 of the 1st rounders actually make it. This is why I’m nervous about this draft. I feel that the Hawks will continue to do what they do, draft smaller kids with not much hope of making it. I also feel that we will slip back a spot or two. Brady Tkachuk would be nice with his size, but his scoring seems to be that of a 3rd rounder. Evan Bouchard is very intriguing. When the Hunter bros say he’s not one of the smartest hockey players, we should listen. Bouchard is big 6’2” 195. But he seems like a future stay at home dman. He should be around in the 7-10 spot. A few of the dmen are pint sized and I don’t want any of that. This draft could help kill this franchise for a while. We have pretty bare cupboards and this pick needs to either 1) hit and have a good NHLer, or 2) use the pick for trade to get help now. The real question is what are the Hawks plans? Are they even looking for help now? If not, this rebuild will more than likely take 10 years as the odds and chances of everyone planning out is not as great as we’d like. You really do need a #1-3 overall pick to ensure you get a franchise type player. And if our franchise players we have now are done, I doubt we pick in the top 3 for a while, and we will have to deal with picks 7-15 for a while and that is called mediocrity, I’m 100% against a full on rebuild. By the time all these kids are ready, it could be after forever!!!

Kudos to you as well !

tsilver said on Just now:

Thanks for the insight . I knew some of you have good knowledge of draft possibilities.

I just read a lot of opinions from hockey people and try to catch the odd game on the tube. There’s others here with a more intimate knowledge. 

tincup61 said on 26 minutes ago:

Zadina is sick, maybe the next Laine. Svechnikov I don’t care for. If you were to tell me one out of the top ten won’t amount to much in the nhl, I’d guess him. I’ve seen him and I could swear I couldn’t see him. For a big kid Svechnikov is not what I’m looking for. Reminds me of Radek Bonk(yea remember him?). Realistically Evan Bouchard is our target, when the Hunter bros say he’s one of the smartest hockey players they’ve ever seen, we should listen. But he seems like a Codi Ceci to me. Not sure that’s a good or bad thing at this point. I’ve seen Bouchard probably 20 times, and he noticeably got better this year. With 25 goals 62 assists for 87 points for a forward in their draft year would be good, but for a dman it’s very impressive. He was on a bad London team too, so it’s not like he had a powerhouse in front of him getting him all these points. He seemed to play a more stay at home role with team Canada and the under 18s I believe it was. He had that role until this year. But man, what a year he had on a bad team!!!

Big-T said on 4 minutes ago:

It’s good for Dmen, but like all drafts, not every kid makes it. Maybe 1/3 of the 1st rounders actually make it. This is why I’m nervous about this draft. I feel that the Hawks will continue to do what they do, draft smaller kids with not much hope of making it. I also feel that we will slip back a spot or two. Brady Tkachuk would be nice with his size, but his scoring seems to be that of a 3rd rounder. Evan Bouchard is very intriguing. When the Hunter bros say he’s not one of the smartest hockey players, we should listen. Bouchard is big 6’2” 195. But he seems like a future stay at home dman. He should be around in the 7-10 spot. A few of the dmen are pint sized and I don’t want any of that. This draft could help kill this franchise for a while. We have pretty bare cupboards and this pick needs to either 1) hit and have a good NHLer, or 2) use the pick for trade to get help now. The real question is what are the Hawks plans? Are they even looking for help now? If not, this rebuild will more than likely take 10 years as the odds and chances of everyone planning out is not as great as we’d like. You really do need a #1-3 overall pick to ensure you get a franchise type player. And if our franchise players we have now are done, I doubt we pick in the top 3 for a while, and we will have to deal with picks 7-15 for a while and that is called mediocrity, I’m 100% against a full on rebuild. By the time all these kids are ready, it could be after forever!!!

How this all plays out will be determined by the resurgence of the so called core players. If they play at the same level  as this year, we are in deep trouble for years to come. I believe at least with Toews and Kane there is more there. Maybe during the next expansion draft we lose a Seabrook ,Keith etc. Players see Chicago as a great place to play now,which is a far cry from pre Rocky days. With the cap rising and other cap space maybe will can fill some holes get Crawford back ,hopefully, and draft well,we could be right back in the thick of it. 

Big-T said on 7 minutes ago:

Have you caught the big kid Noel? Button seems to think a lot of teams are laying in the weeds on this one. Numbers aren’t quite there but he’s huge. Bit of a Bambi skater and all his goals are scored from about two feet. Sleeper, or a real project?

Big-T said on 2 minutes ago:

Zadina is sick, maybe the next Laine. Svechnikov I don’t care for. If you were to tell me one out of the top ten won’t amount to much in the nhl, I’d guess him. I’ve seen him and I could swear I couldn’t see him. For a big kid Svechnikov is not what I’m looking for. Reminds me of Radek Bonk(yea remember him?). Realistically Evan Bouchard is our target, when the Hunter bros say he’s one of the smartest hockey players they’ve ever seen, we should listen. But he seems like a Codi Ceci to me. Not sure that’s a good or bad thing at this point. I’ve seen Bouchard probably 20 times, and he noticeably got better this year. With 25 goals 62 assists for 87 points for a forward in their draft year would be good, but for a dman it’s very impressive. He was on a bad London team too, so it’s not like he had a powerhouse in front of him getting him all these points. He seemed to play a more stay at home role with team Canada and the under 18s I believe it was. He had that role until this year. But man, what a year he had on a bad team!!!

Bouchard sounds like a Seabrook type. I’ll go with that. But in one post you say the Hunters don’t think he’s got the smarts and in the other they do. Clarify please.

Edited by tincup61

tincup61 said on 13 minutes ago:

Bouchard sounds like a Seabrook type. I’ll go with that. But in one post you say the Hunters don’t think he’s got the smarts and in the other they do. Clarify please.

Sorry, autocorrect threw in a “not” there. The Hunters have said repeatedly that Evan Bouchard probably the smartest player they’ve ever seen. And they’ve had Perry, Nash, Kane, Gagnier amongst many others. 87 points in 67 games for a dman is sick. He can skate well and has size. He maybe what Barker was supposed to be. I’d be happy with him. Tkachuk would also be nice, as he has size and skill, but his scoring doesn’t seem much to write home about, and if he does go 5/6, that’s a big risk there, not many brother combos amount to that much, look at the latest in the Stromes. Toews and Seabs bro’s never made it. Sometimes they do, but I’d be a little nervous with him. I’d like Zadina, but we need a top 3 pick. So let’s just be happy if we end up with Bouchard!!!

Big-T said on 10 minutes ago:

Sorry, autocorrect threw in a “not” there. The Hunters have said repeatedly that Evan Bouchard probably the smartest player they’ve ever seen. And they’ve had Perry, Nash, Kane, Gagnier amongst many others. 87 points in 67 games for a dman is sick. He can skate well and has size. He maybe what Barker was supposed to be. I’d be happy with him. Tkachuk would also be nice, as he has size and skill, but his scoring doesn’t seem much to write home about, and if he does go 5/6, that’s a big risk there, not many brother combos amount to that much, look at the latest in the Stromes. Toews and Seabs bro’s never made it. Sometimes they do, but I’d be a little nervous with him. I’d like Zadina, but we need a top 3 pick. So let’s just be happy if we end up with Bouchard!!!

Bouchard seems like the logical pick for the projected spot.  I’d hope SB looks to move up to take advantage of this year’s draft.

IMO, a top young d-man is priority but Brady looks good too with where he may go.

Quick question. What would it realistically  take to land Tavares. Maybe trade  Anisimov to free up some money. 

iknowpuck said on 27 minutes ago:

Bouchard seems like the logical pick for the projected spot.  I’d hope SB looks to move up to take advantage of this year’s draft.

IMO, a top young d-man is priority but Brady looks good too with where he may go.

In my opinion, I don’t think I give up our top pick, plus the other 1st rounder to move up 2-3 slots and take Tkachuk. If we could get to 3rd, I’d do it. But not to 5th. I’m also assuming Gary lets the Hawks have it and we move down in this draft. If Bouchard is there around 7 or 8, that’s the target!!!

tsilver said on 17 minutes ago:

Quick question. What would it realistically  take to land Tavares. Maybe trade  Anisimov to free up some money. 

We have the space now, or shortly we will. Hossa’s money and the cap increase should be just about enough. But it would be best to deal AA, as he would no longer be needed. Tavares should be the Hawks target all the way. Having Toews, Tavares, Kane, Schmaltz, Dcat and Saad for our top 6 would be awesome, or even another trade to better the top 6!!!

• Like 1

Big-T said on 8 minutes ago:

In my opinion, I don’t think I give up our top pick, plus the other 1st rounder to move up 2-3 slots and take Tkachuk. If we could get to 3rd, I’d do it. But not to 5th. I’m also assuming Gary lets the Hawks have it and we move down in this draft. If Bouchard is there around 7 or 8, that’s the target!!!

I, too, wouldn’t give up that much for Brady...but I would give up something less for him if it’s all that could be done.

I’d give up a lot for the overall number 1 tho, and I know not likely, but we need a young top number 1-4 d-man more than anything, IMO.

iknowpuck said on 23 minutes ago:

I, too, wouldn’t give up that much for Brady...but I would give up something less for him if it’s all that could be done.

I’d give up a lot for the overall number 1 tho, and I know not likely, but we need a young top number 1-4 d-man more than anything, IMO.

I posted this days ago. I would like to see what the Hawks faithful think about sending Dcat and our top pick for the #1 overall? I personally would, even if it meant throwing in a 2nd rounder too. Dahlin is a dman that can step right in and be a top damn in 2 years. But I don’t think many teams take that offer. We’d probably have to send our two 1st rounders Dcat and a 2nd. No way teams are giving away Dahlin. So we should just hope for a top 3 pick. Take Zadina, then trade up to get Bouchard if we can. Then sign Tavares on July 1, and try and trade for another good dman for instant help!!!

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

I’m not sold on Tkachuk either. Family names can carry far too much weight. Now, if as you mentioned, somehow getting Zadina AND Bouchard? What are we, Edmonton? Can’t see us lucky enough to move up that much for Zadina.

Tankathon.com draft simulator has Chicago getting the following players at 1,2,3,7,8,9,10,31

1...Rasmus Dahlin

2...Andrei Svechnikov

3...Adam Boqvist

7...Evan Bouchard

8...Evan Bouchard

9...Noah Dobson

10...Ty Smith

31...Jake McBain, Vitali Kravtsov, K'Andre Miller, Johnny Tychonick

thats food for thought

Absolute no to Boqvist. 5’11” 168. Zadina is a total sniper. Dobson seems like another decent pick. I still feel Bouchard would be our best bet unless we totally defy Gary logic and move up!!!