The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
PuckProphet

Blackhawks Eulogy

When thinking about what to say , it became apparent that i was not ready.. Been a long time , I meant to make it about this particular year but the entire history overwhelms any thought about what went wrong... next year...100 questions. I am quite sure many here measure the Blackhawks "run"  in terms of career, children cars decades spouses...... 

While i applaud  bright future talk i applaud the loyalty i applaud the wait till next year sentiment ..... Look the decade has had some good marketing ....They have yet to prove to me in nay way from top to bottom they know why , perhaps thats better left unsaid ... the point of bringing up marketing is the fall off , the season ticket holder ... well in this case past marketing has the long term consequence  of slowing exodus....

Last place team leading in attendance means lots of money ..... you guys know better than me ....how many years does it take to run the cycle of worst to first to worst again .....this time it was a decade ....This year it was a Desert league ....like everything else 32 teams does not mean once every 32 years ....

Personally i see this year as a learning experience that didn't happen .....so far ....not sure yet 

Been through worse times than this in my time as a Hawks fan  (1962 - present). 

Can this ship be turned around?

I was giddy when they got Saad back and after the first 2 games of the year I was practicing my Stanley Cup strut.

I really don't understand how it came off the rails and I wonder if we will see the glory days again with 8 fat contracts @ over $50M?

hllywd99 said on 31 minutes ago:

I was giddy when they got Saad back and after the first 2 games of the year I was practicing my Stanley Cup strut.

I really don't understand how it came off the rails and I wonder if we will see the glory days again with 8 fat contracts @ over $50M?

Ask a Nuck's fan when they are planning their parade route before the season starts ...........Jinx :angry:

• Like 1

What I find Interesting is majority of us around here, me included have raised the white flag, then I heard a conversation that Bob McKenzie of TSN had and he all but believes the Hawks will rebound and keeping Stan and Q around together pretty much puts them both in a position of, we either work together or meet each at the unemployment line. Not one will get fired they both will and at that point the major rebuild will happen. He also mentioned the Panarin trade and how Saad was a huge disappointment this year however with the Breadman putting up huge points again it looks like Columbus may not be able to afford him as well and he will get shipped again, so what the Hawks did wasn’t as bad as many believe for a cash strapped team against the cap. The one thing that stood out was how McKenzie a very smart, intelligent, media personality who knows the game of hockey believed this dismall year is a good thing, whereas if they made the playoffs the team doesn’t get any better, they are going to get a good draft pick and will be able to fix the issues, and the belief around the league is Toews and company just had a bad year, and sometimes that happens in pro sports after years of winning.

Edited by hawkinmontreal
  • Like 3

hllywd99 said on 21 hours ago:

Hopefully Saad will rebound. One thing I'd like to see out of him is to be a lot more assertive on the forecheck. One thing he cannot be accused of is delivering many meaningful hits. He uses his body to defend the puck. What he needs to do is become more physical when he's trying to get it. He's fast enough and big enough to play like a power forward but you'd never know it by the way he plays. Maybe he could take some pointers from Martinson, or, watch some film of T. Ruutu during his days in Chicago.

• Like 2

Old_Hawk said on On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM:

Hopefully Saad will rebound. One thing I'd like to see out of him is to be a lot more assertive on the forecheck. One thing he cannot be accused of is delivering many meaningful hits. He uses his body to defend the puck. What he needs to do is become more physical when he's trying to get it. He's fast enough and big enough to play like a power forward but you'd never know it by the way he plays. Maybe he could take some pointers from Martinson, or, watch some film of T. Ruutu during his days in Chicago.

I want to see "baby Hossa" again. 

If u watch these playoffs then u realize just how far gone the Hawks are to being good. My gawd. Teams like Vegas and Winnipeg are just so fast....and good. The Hawks look like old slugs out there compared to them. There's no way this team as constructed can compete with teams like....THAT. Toews is DONE. Has been for a few years. Seabrook is old and slow.....Keith not good anymore,,,Kane has even dropped. Saad is who he is. I think the idea that they just had an "off year" is total foolishness and delusional. The "run" ended the last 7 games before the end of 2016 reg season. That;s when the obituary on the "core: and their cohorts could be written. That team that stumbled into the playoffs on a horrible streak proceeded to get swept by Nashville and the fall continued through the 2017 season. To think that the "core" of those cup winning teams has any chance of coming back to being anywhere near what they were ......is total delusion. That ship has long since sailed, Just look at Winnipeg and Vegas. Can u imagine in any way shape or form the Hawks moving around like that? With that kind of speed and talent? Toews contract hangs like a 30 ton weight around this team...along with those others. The team needs to rebuild and get rid of the remaining leftovers from the cup years. Sign kids on the cheap and hope to get lucky...and at least have some young speed and potential to keep up some fan interest.  But that cup winning core is long gone. Done. Thanks for the memories. It was awesome....but ti's over.

• Like 3

^^^Some might suggest trying kool-aid for a cure.

I’d say you are closer to reality than posting the opposite.

This is why SB, IMO, needs to try to move most of the core...get something in return for the rebuild...if it’s not too late at this point.

Edited by iknowpuck

iknowpuck said on 1 hour ago:

This is why SB, IMO, needs to try to move most of the core...get something in return for the rebuild...if it’s not too late at this point.

Would you be ok with watching Toews and Kane lacing it up for another team. Maybe that’s would the Hawks need to move forward and start a rebuild.

hawkinmontreal said on 7 minutes ago:

Would you be ok with watching Toews and Kane lacing it up for another team. 

no.

as someone who lived through the trading of stars years ago, I'd rather live and die with the stars we have. 

it might not be a popular idea with a lot of folks, but it's how I feel. I'd rather try and build around what we have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

hawkinmontreal said on 32 minutes ago:

Would you be ok with watching Toews and Kane lacing it up for another team. Maybe that’s would the Hawks need to move forward and start a rebuild.

Simple answer is yes...only if it makes the rebuild happen faster and the end result is that the org is winning cups again.  It’s a business.  It’s about the crest more than the name on the back for me.

I’d say no if it doesn’t speed up the process. I would hate to see Kaner (or JT) in another sweater...but he would bring back the biggest haul...so I think SB should listen to everything.

Something has to give.

Edited by iknowpuck

Creature1958 said on On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM:

Ask a Nuck's fan when they are planning their parade route before the season starts ...........Jinx :angry:

Blues too!

• Like 1

vadarx said on 10 hours ago:

no.

as someone who lived through the trading of stars years ago, I'd rather live and die with the stars we have. 

it might not be a popular idea with a lot of folks, but it's how I feel. I'd rather try and build around what we have.

As someone who lived through all 49 years without and more worthless rebuilds than I can remember,I'd agree or at least take one more shot with this group. I'm actually for trading anyone that'll help the team but anyone who thinks the chances the next group is as good as the last one needs to check themselves......see the aforementioned 49 years and how the trading away of stars has worked out in the past.  

This isn't Amazon,you can't just put two Conn Smythe winners,a Selke winner,a Norris winner and an Art Ross winner in the shopping cart! I don't know much about 'Siri' but I doubt she can help either.

GO HAWKS!!!!!    

• Like 1

hsbob said on 4 minutes ago:

As someone who lived through all 49 years without and more worthless rebuilds than I can remember,I'd agree or at least take one more shot with this group. I'm actually for trading anyone that'll help the team but anyone who thinks the chances the next group is as good as the last one needs to check themselves......see the aforementioned 49 years and how the trading away of stars has worked out in the past.  

This isn't Amazon,you can't just put two Conn Smythe winners,a Selke winner,a Norris winner and an Art Ross winner in the shopping cart! I don't know much about 'Siri' but I doubt she can help either.

GO HAWKS!!!!!    

Siri is a ditz and I don't use her to voice text anymore. Used her to text the wife.......Pick up BEER !!!! She typed Pick up BEAR!! If she was so smart she would know most people go to zoo's to look at bears and go to liquor stores to pick up beers. Yet with the way this world is today it wouldn't surprise me that people now go to zoo's to pick up bears and go to liquor stores to look at beers. :wacko:

But she is pretty good with bluetooth when driving and listening to my stored music.... Siri play Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush, Siri play Montrose. Siri play Marvin Gaye. Siri play the Blue Oyster Cult. Guess she just knows by now. 

iknowpuck said on 21 hours ago:

I agree.And when SB needs a little hint, one of them wants to play hockey even in May, some others preferer surfing and fishing after six-seven months on the ice.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

Modry-Jazyk said on 25 minutes ago:

I agree.And when SB needs a little hint, one of them wants to play hockey even in May, some others preferer surfing and fishing after six-seven months on the ice.

yeah, you're right... they all hate winning and being the toast of the town now... whereas Kane is doing the same thing that he has always done, even when they've already won something. 

• Like 1

hawkinmontreal said on On 2018-05-15 at 9:31 PM:

Here’s the problem HiM. Most don’t really know this, Toews and Kane are a brand, go to any away game and you’ll see 5000 Toews and Kane jerseys. They make money. Lots of money. They will never trade them. I feel that even if Stan wanted to trade them, ownership would fire him. And if you listened to what Sharp said about the Hawks at the end of the season, he made it clear how the Hawks were a family from the top of the org right to the bottom. I don’t see them trading any core guys in the meantime. The goal is and has always been to finally have our home grown stars retire as Hawks, and rightfully so. Any one who says Toews is done has never had a conversation with an NHLer. Talk to them about how many injuries they’ve had, and how long they take to actually heal. My buddies cousin is TJ Brodie. At his wedding he sat with Giordano, he told him all the injuries he’s had and his tendons in both ankles are hanging by a thread, his hands look like he’s always holding a beer bottle due to his days in the AHL and how he was the enforcer on that team. But he’d need about 2 years off to get surgeries and heal properly, but instead he just soldiers on cuz 2 years would end his career. And you never ever ever hear these guys complaining about injuries, it’s just part of it. So before we tackle Toews and rough him up, the guy has been through hell and back. Just go watch the 2015 finals, it was the worst hockey I’ve seen, everyone looked like the walking dead. But let’s just pile on a guy who’s given his health and welfare for us fans to see 3 Cups!!!

EDIT: Not at all directed at you HiM!!!

Edited by Big-T
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Big-T said on 15 minutes ago:

Here’s the problem HiM. Most don’t really know this, Toews and Kane are a brand, go to any away game and you’ll see 5000 Toews and Kane jerseys. They make money. Lots of money. They will never trade them. I feel that even if Stan wanted to trade them, ownership would fire him. And if you listened to what Sharp said about the Hawks at the end of the season, he made it clear how the Hawks were a family from the top of the org right to the bottom. I don’t see them trading any core guys in the meantime. The goal is and has always been to finally have our home grown stars retire as Hawks, and rightfully so. Any one who says Toews is done has never had a conversation with an NHLer. Talk to them about how many injuries they’ve had, and how long they take to actually heal. My buddies cousin is TJ Brodie. At his wedding he sat with Giordano, he told him all the injuries he’s had and his tendons in both ankles are hanging by a thread, his hands look like he’s always holding a beer bottle due to his days in the AHL and how he was the enforcer on that team. But he’d need about 2 years off to get surgeries and heal properly, but instead he just soldiers on cuz 2 years would end his career. And you never ever ever hear these guys complaining about injuries, it’s just part of it. So before we tackle Toews and rough him up, the guy has been through hell and back. Just go watch the 2015 finals, it was the worst hockey I’ve seen, everyone looked like the walking dead. But let’s just pile on a guy who’s given his health and welfare for us fans to see 3 Cups!!!

EDIT: Not at all directed at you HiM!!!

nail on the head. and we are wayyyy overdue to have some homegrown winners play their entire career in Chicago. as much as their contracts might hold us back from winning, I wanna see at least 3 of the "core 4" retire as players who spent their entire career in the Windy City. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

and, to piggy back on the branding thing:

I was out in the burbs of Dallas today (stuck in TX again, at least for the summer). I had a 2013 chances t shirt on. I went to my favorite burger joint and got a nod from a young lad in a Kane jersey-shirt. went to the pet store to get some food for the special ladie's cat and got a "go 'hawks" from a lady in a Toews jersey-shirt...

I know when I lived in Chicago and went to games, bars, and about town, I saw lots of different players names on sweaters and tshirts. since I've moved away, in my travels just to away games or around town wherever I was, the variety was limited to almost exclusively 19 or 88 merch...

Edited by vadarx
  • Like 1

vadarx said on 9 hours ago:

and, to piggy back on the branding thing:

I was out in the burbs of Dallas today (stuck in TX again, at least for the summer). I had a 2013 chances t shirt on. I went to my favorite burger joint and got a nod from a young lad in a Kane jersey-shirt. went to the pet store to get some food for the special ladie's cat and got a "go 'hawks" from a lady in a Toews jersey-shirt...

I know when I lived in Chicago and went to games, bars, and about town, I saw lots of different players names on sweaters and tshirts. since I've moved away, in my travels just to away games or around town wherever I was, the variety was limited to almost exclusively 19 or 88 merch...

So you going to a Hogs game? You need to go around Texas and get the Hogs some love and fans. 

vadarx said on 14 hours ago:

yeah, you're right... they all hate winning and being the toast of the town now... whereas Kane is doing the same thing that he has always done, even when they've already won something. 

YEAH.....let's have our 30 something D-men with big miles on the odometer play summer hockey......that's the ticket!

Not playing in some useless tournament obviously shows Toews total lack of heart,desire and character......pay attention v.

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

• Like 2

vadarx said on 11 hours ago:

nail on the head. and we are wayyyy overdue to have some homegrown winners play their entire career in Chicago. as much as their contracts might hold us back from winning, I wanna see at least 3 of the "core 4" retire as players who spent their entire career in the Windy City. 

Agree, I'd be fine with this. I'd want Keith, Toews, and Kane definitely and maybe even Seabrook. I know Toews and Seabrook are the scapegoats now and I get it, but I can't forget what these guys did for this franchise. If there's a deal that comes along for Seabrook, okay; but I wouldn't be upset if he retires a Hawk.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

Agree, I'd be fine with this. I'd want Keith, Toews, and Kane definitely and maybe even Seabrook. I know Toews and Seabrook are the scapegoats now and I get it, but I can't forget what these guys did for this franchise. If there's a deal that comes along for Seabrook, okay; but I wouldn't be upset if he retires a Hawk.

I think Keith and Seabs definitely retire as 'hawks--even if it's a compliance buyout or a Prongering.

Kane I'm like 95% sure he does.  Toews probably about 75-85%.

...and that's not because I think they're "scapegoats" or the like.  I think you can put money on it that these are Seabrook and Keith's final contracts.  I don't think Kane or Toews are on their final contracts.  Both will be about 34-35 when they come due and while I think the 'hawks will try to sign them to a final "thank you for your service" deal(s), I think there is a chance (albeit slight) that something comes into play that could make both look elsewhere.

• Like 1

Creature1958 said on 4 hours ago:

So you going to a Hogs game? You need to go around Texas and get the Hogs some love and fans. 

the thought had crossed my mind until I realized it was in Austin and not Allen.... got my minor leagues mixed up...

I may actually go to a game later in the series, should it make it back down here. I'm gonna be in Houston for the first two games, so it's a no go on those...