The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
insufficientfunds

How the Hawks Get Better

Kind of being a bit facetious here but since this team has been in such need of effective centers that can win draws,  battle to the front of the net , score goals , make players around them better , show leadership etc - would it not be wise to try and fill the cupboard with center men the next couple drafts ?

I know you try to take the best player available but this is a position that has been pretty weak for a while on this team ,and the way Toews is going he will be a #2 pretty soon.

Not sure if you check out Hockeybuzz and read Justin Lowes but he has an article mentioning trading for Klefbom , which would include sending Debrincat and others going to EDM.

Hey it's a rumor site and I'm not taking it for fact but I think the over all D core has improved compared to recent years , and it just going to take some time. Every postion could use improving , nd when it comes to the D  I would like to see the Hawks get some big heavy hitters on the back end and not so much of the over priced hard to find "Stud" defenseman that you have to give the farm away for.

This article says nothing about how the Hawks will get better, other than mentioning Jokiharu. There's zero substance to it, and just rehashes stats and moves. Do yourself a favor and stay away from BSPN when it comes to anything Hockey-related, because they know d*** about the subject.

• Like 2

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

This article says nothing about how the Hawks will get better, other than mentioning Jokiharu. There's zero substance to it, and just rehashes stats and moves. Do yourself a favor and stay away from BSPN when it comes to anything Hockey-related, because they know d*** about the subject.

That pretty much covers it. ESPN is a joke.

• Like 2

Granada said on 3 hours ago:

As I said, don't shoot the messenger.  I only posted it for what it is worth and there is some content to it, but I agree not much.  As I read it, the guy is saying that they have some very fast young players, who will get better; and, as they do with the "core", the team will be getting better.  I don't agree because I think the offensive core sucks.  So, c'est la vie.  

jacksalmon said on 1 hour ago:

As I said, don't shoot the messenger.  I only posted it for what it is worth and there is some content to it, but I agree not much.  As I read it, the guy is saying that they have some very fast young players, who will get better; and, as they do with the "core", the team will be getting better.  I don't agree because I think the offensive core sucks.  So, c'est la vie.  

No offense meant, Jack.  I read that article on the way to work this morning and thought, 'that's a lot of words without saying much' - like Granada said 'no substance'.

jacksalmon said on 6 hours ago:

Here is an article on how the Hawks recover from this season.  Don't shoot the messenger, I am just putting it out there for you all to read, if you want:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22420795/nhl-trying-season-chicago-blackhawks-gotten-younger-faster

So nothing there that Hawks fans didn’t know but since it wasn’t directed just for Chicago fans, it was an OK read. Nice to hear other teams opinions.

Edited by tincup61

blackmore said on 1 hour ago:

No offense meant, Jack.  I read that article on the way to work this morning and thought, 'that's a lot of words without saying much' - like Granada said 'no substance'.

I don't take any offense, but as I said above, it seems he is saying don't worry, these fast young skaters will be getting their experience and getting better and will save they day in a year, or so, along with the core.  As said, I don't agree, but I think that is his opinion.  To me, it is just another opinion about how to "fix" this team.  Essentially, his idea is the team does not have to do much because it has all that it needs.  As said, I don't agree.  

Yep. 

Still, i don't know if it's karmic kickback or what...but right now it's essentially DiDominico <> Leddy.

Now I know how Philly felt with Ellison

jacksalmon said on 8 hours ago:

I don't take any offense, but as I said above, it seems he is saying don't worry, these fast young skaters will be getting their experience and getting better and will save they day in a year, or so, along with the core.  As said, I don't agree, but I think that is his opinion.  To me, it is just another opinion about how to "fix" this team.  Essentially, his idea is the team does not have to do much because it has all that it needs.  As said, I don't agree.  

Yeah...that’s just dreaming! Stan’s young guys are fast alright, unfortunately none are NHL hockey players!

That article felt like it was written by a kid sitting in his moms basement. It said absolutely nothing and wanted a few minutes of my time reading. The author should be driving buses for a living. After I got done reading it I was with a feeling of wtf?

• Like 1

newtrierhockey said on 11 hours ago:

That article felt like it was written by a kid sitting in his moms basement. It said absolutely nothing and wanted a few minutes of my time reading. The author should be driving buses for a living. After I got done reading it I was with a feeling of wtf?

lol....

all the comments in this thread lead to me not wasting my time... 

Just checking back on this post hoping someone might have heard some rumors , have some insight or an opinion on my suggestion for the Hawks to hone in on the center position.

Either by draft , or trade ( more so draft )

In order to truly improve, Bowman needs to make substantial moves for either a top six or a top nine (assuming AA is back, which I think he will be unless another top-six player comes back the other way in a trade for him) center, a serviceable top four D-man, and a top six forward. It's ironic, because I was saying he needed these same positions last year, but I digress. Oh yeah, and a valid backup goalie (assuming he keeps Crawford, which if he doesn't, he'd also need to fill). Yes, tall order, and he probably won't be able to get all of these needs, but he needs to fill at least one to two of them (either via free agency or trade) in order for this team to improve at least somewhat next year.

Brady Tkachuk has been mentioned by a lot of Hawk writers/podcasters/analysts in general, and in my view, he'd be a perfect fit -- but I'm biased, as I've always been a big Keith-Tkachuk-style fan. But evidently, this guy plays with even more snarl than his brother Matthew, he's 6'2", 194 lbs. He's projected to go top three, so it's highly doubtful the Hawks can get him unless they trade up somehow, but he'd be utterly perfect for this team on multiple levels (net front presence in particular).

• Upvote 1

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

In order to truly improve, Bowman needs to make substantial moves for either a top six or a top nine (assuming AA is back, which I think he will be unless another top-six player comes back the other way in a trade for him) center, a serviceable top four D-man, and a top six forward. It's ironic, because I was saying he needed these same positions last year, but I digress. Oh yeah, and a valid backup goalie (assuming he keeps Crawford, which if he doesn't, he'd also need to fill). Yes, tall order, and he probably won't be able to get all of these needs, but he needs to fill at least one to two of them (either via free agency or trade) in order for this team to improve at least somewhat next year.

Brady Tkachuk has been mentioned by a lot of Hawk writers/podcasters/analysts in general, and in my view, he'd be a perfect fit -- but I'm biased, as I've always been a big Keith-Tkachuk-style fan. But evidently, this guy plays with even more snarl than his brother Matthew, he's 6'2", 194 lbs. He's projected to go top three, so it's highly doubtful the Hawks can get him unless they trade up somehow, but he'd be utterly perfect for this team on multiple levels (net front presence in particular).

I'm in!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

The basic idea of a trade is in order to get something good you have to give up something good. It will be interesting to see if Stan can make a trade to strengthen one area without weakening another area. It seems like that would be the result if he traded, as the main pieces, a goal scorer to get a d-man. They have trouble scoring goals and who is there to step in? 

I'm not going to hold my breath on guys like Duclair or Jurco or Highmore. We can always hope for the best but I'm like someone from Missouri on these guys. ;)

Granada said on 3 hours ago:

It's pretty bad that Stan hasn't addressed those needs, he thought Schmaltz was the answer for the 2C spot and guys like Oesterle, Forsling, Ruuta, etc could play top4 minutes instead of getting a proven top4 guy, plus he thought Forsberg was ready for the backup position when he should've started in Rockford and there should've been a guy like Halak backing up Crow. 

I don't mind Anisimov as the 3C, his faceoff percentage was at 52% in that position and since he went back to 2C he's below his career average of 46%, plus he only has 8 assists,

Hawks need a guy like O'Reilly as the 2C and if the Jackets want AA back they can have him, trade him and one of the small dmen like Oesterle, Gus, or Forsling for Jenner.  To get O'Reilly the Hawks would have to give up Schmaltz and some other pieces, maybe one of Oesterle, Gus, or Forsling.

Toews-O'Reilly-Jenner-Kampf would be a huge upgrade down the middle. 

Then the Hawks should get Klefbom, I don't want them to trade Debrincat, maybe Hino and one of the 3 small dmen I've mentioned plus a pick and/or prospect. Oilers have some big Dmen so they need a smaller puck moving guy, plus they'll get more speed up front with Hino.

Out- Schmaltz, Anisimov, Hino, Gus, Forsling, Oesterle.

In- O'Reilly, Jenner, Klefbom.

Then look to upgrade the backup position via free agency.

Edited by OldTimeHawky
  • Like 1

^ +1. I like this post because it addresses the needs but it's also realistic in what we'd have to give up. Losing Schmaltz and one of Oesterle/Forsling would be tough, but I love those 3 players you have coming back the other way.

• Like 1

Plain and simple. With the loss of Hoss, we need someone that’s a star to help out. John Tavares is the answer. Going forward with the exact same group, gets you in a tight race to the bottom!!!

AcesandEights said on 1 hour ago:

The basic idea of a trade is in order to get something good you have to give up something good. It will be interesting to see if Stan can make a trade to strengthen one area without weakening another area. It seems like that would be the result if he traded, as the main pieces, a goal scorer to get a d-man. They have trouble scoring goals and who is there to step in? 

I'm not going to hold my breath on guys like Duclair or Jurco or Highmore. We can always hope for the best but I'm like someone from Missouri on these guys. ;)

I don't blame you; I'm always hesitant when it comes to players/former-top-prospects/etc. like this. This is one area where Bowman hasn't had much success in my view: finding a gem in the rough. I know, it's not easy -- and he tries, but they're never the right bets. Justin Schultz is a good example: fell out of favor in Edmonton, only to tear it up once he was traded to Pitt. Bowman has tried to find these diamonds (Jurco and Duclair being the most recent; and he was going after Yakupov last off-season for the same reason), but he chooses wrong. It's the right approach -- really, the only approach for Bowman and this cap inflexibility-- but the execution isn't there, if his record is any indication.