The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Madrose

12/02 Hawks vs Stars

hsbob said on 9 minutes ago:

Hayden had 5 hits in 71/2 minutes tonight and Bouma and Wingels had 9 between em with a little more TOI because they were out there on the kill,I like that line........they all get a piece of a guy every time. Is it me or were Panik and Hartman more effective players when they were getting a piece of a guy every time too?

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

Panik especially always looked good when he was hitting. I believe most of this team would be better with a little more bumping and a lot less stick waving. An effective bit of physicality can sure break up an attack or stop a breakout.

hsbob said on 5 minutes ago:

Is it me or were Panik and Hartman more effective players when they were getting a piece of a guy every time too?

that's a good point.

it's been a long time since i've seen either one play with any meaningful physicality. could be they're worried about taking penalties? just a guess.

panik leads the team with 12 minors. hartman's not far back at 8. (toews (11), seabs (10) and rutta(9) are in between.)

panik and hartman are 4th and 6th on the team in hits with 44 and 40 respectively though.

• Like 1

hsbob said on 21 minutes ago:

Hayden had 5 hits in 71/2 minutes tonight and Bouma and Wingels had 9 between em with a little more TOI because they were out there on the kill,I like that line........they all get a piece of a guy every time. Is it me or were Panik and Hartman more effective players when they were getting a piece of a guy every time too?

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

it's definitely not just you, imo... 

galaxytrash said on 7 hours ago:

that's a good point.

it's been a long time since i've seen either one play with any meaningful physicality. could be they're worried about taking penalties? just a guess.

panik leads the team with 12 minors. hartman's not far back at 8. (toews (11), seabs (10) and rutta(9) are in between.)

panik and hartman are 4th and 6th on the team in hits with 44 and 40 respectively though.

You have a point when it comes to penalties but neither guy really goes to the box for hitting penalties like charging or boarding if you notice. It looks like poke-checking can lead to as many or more penalties like slashing,hooking,high-sticking or tripping in today's NHL.

The entire 4th line is effective at forcing loose pucks and hemming opponents in because of it and for some reason are the only line doin' it.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

A lot of ugly last night. 

Has anyone else noticed Schmaltz channeling his inner Teuvo by pulling up and avoiding contact? Not good.

The only consecutive good execution of passing the Hawks did last night was in OT when Toews and Keith passed it back and forth a few times because neither one of them wanted to shoot. I guess in one respect maybe that's a good thing because neither one of them has an NHL shot anymore, so at least they ran time off the clock to get it to the shoot out.

Speaking of the shoot out - am I reading into it too much when I think Toews lackluster attempt was because he was afraid of mishandling the puck if he tried his deke-5-hole move? I'm still on the Toews post concussion affect has reduced his hand/eye coordination where he simply can't control the puck on his stick like he used to - thing.

For all you old timers out there - remember the '60's song "War" where the main lyric was "War, huh, what is it good for? Absolutely nuthin. Say it again." That song lyric plays in my head when I watch Panik, only it goes "Panik, huh, what is he good for? Absolutley nuthin". He skates like the wind and he used to hit like a Mack truck ... now he just skates like the wind ... and ... yeah, that's about it.

A bit of good news is that Forsberg played very well, but we can probably all agree we should try and avoid shoot outs. 

• Like 2

EbonyRaptor said on 1 hour ago:

Has anyone else noticed Schmaltz channeling his inner Teuvo by pulling up and avoiding contact? Not good.

The only consecutive good execution of passing the Hawks did last night was in OT when Toews and Keith passed it back and forth a few times because neither one of them wanted to shoot. I guess in one respect maybe that's a good thing because neither one of them has an NHL shot anymore, so at least they ran time off the clock to get it to the shoot out.

Speaking of the shoot out - am I reading into it too much when I think Toews lackluster attempt was because he was afraid of mishandling the puck if he tried his deke-5-hole move? I'm still on the Toews post concussion affect has reduced his hand/eye coordination where he simply can't control the puck on his stick like he used to - thing.

For all you old timers out there - remember the '60's song "War" where the main lyric was "War, huh, what is it good for? Absolutely nuthin. Say it again." That song lyric plays in my head when I watch Panik, only it goes "Panik, huh, what is he good for? Absolutley nuthin". He skates like the wind and he used to hit like a Mack truck ... now he just skates like the wind ... and ... yeah, that's about it.

A bit of good news is that Forsberg played very well, but we can probably all agree we should try and avoid shoot outs. 

I do remember that song.  Panik?  I totally agree that what you say sing is correct regarding him offensively.  He's got a little Ken Yaremchuk going on there.  Let's draft a letter to Richard the Lionhearted.  May it go something as follows:  "You know Richard, Hawk fans really do appreciate that you play hard all over the ice.  Thank you for your service.  Um, there is this thing though that we would hope to see in the future in the offensive zone.  It's called 'an idea.'  Could you please acquire one?   Sincerely, Gig and ER"

Edited by GigECJ
  • Like 1

EbonyRaptor said on 1 hour ago:

I'm with you on your comment about Toews' post-concussion effects.  He is definitely not the same talent that we have grown to know and enjoy.  I do have concerns about him.

I would also like to add some comments about the Hawks and my being a fan of theirs:  When I was in grade school, CBS used to have an NHL game of the week on Saturday afternoons (this was in the 1950's).  I believe a guy named Bud Palmer was either the play by play guy or the color guy.  It was the first time I had ever seen any level of hockey, rather than the games us kids had at the local outdoor skating rink.  If we were playing at the rink on Saturday afternoons, we would try to hurray home after we had "run out of gas," so we could watch guys like Fern Flamin (sp?) and "Terrible Ted" LIndsay, etc.  I remember seeing a young guy wearing #16 for the Black Hawks, and liking what I saw from him.  His unselfish pass to a line mate (Ed Litzenberger) to complete Ed's hat trick is still ingrained in my mind to this day.  Bobby Hull's performances made me a Black Hawks' fan for life.

OK, I know this may be "wordy," but I just wanted to have all you Hawks' fans stop and think about how fortunate we have been in the recently passed years, with 3 Stanley Cups, multiple super star players to watch, and the "rebirth" of the whole franchise from what was, at one time, acclaimed to be the worst pro sports franchise in all of sports (before Rocky took over).  I really feel fortunate to be a Hawks' fan, and will continue to be one until my last day on this earth.  Sure, I get upset when I watch the weak play of our PP and of certain individuals at times.  But I have stopped to think, it wasn't that long ago we'd be happy to just get into the playoffs, not even considering a possible series victory or two. 

When I watch Seabrook, Keith, Toews, and Sharp, I have come to realize that they are probably on the down sides of their careers now.  Goodness knows that they would love to be able to still make the plays to which we had so grown accustomed.  But remember this:  They have given me (and probably any Hawks' fan from as far back as the 1950's) so many great thrills from their play that I cannot quantify their worth to me.  Many of you will comment on how this guy or that guy are not worth the $$ they are now being paid, but I must differ with you on that.  Stretch that $$ out over 60 years, and it doesn't seems so bad, considering that it took that long for them (the Hawks) to put together the 3 Cups in such a short time span as they have.  That's what I'm looking at, and that's how I must value their contributions to the success of the past few years.

If you say, "Forget the past, what are you doing for me know?" then I will say, think about the thousands of fans who have not even experienced ONE Cup victory for their teams?  I think we need to realize how fortunate we have been being Hawks' fans.  I'm not waving the white flag on this season yet, but if we should not fulfill the ultimate goal (the Cup), I'll just have to remember that I've been so blessed to be a Hawks' fan for most of my life, that maybe it's like they say, "All good things come to an end."

Sorry for my ramblings on here, but I especially am a bit reflective today, as it is my 71st birthday, and I'm in pretty good health, and last year I actually was able to take in a Hawks - Montreal game at the United Center.   GO HAWKS!

Edited by hawks27
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

hawks27 said on 47 minutes ago:

I'm with you on your comment about Toews' post-concussion effects.  He is definitely not the same talent that we have grown to know and enjoy.  I do have concerns about him.

I would also like to add some comments about the Hawks and my being a fan of theirs:  When I was in grade school, CBS used to have an NHL game of the week on Saturday afternoons (this was in the 1950's).  I believe a guy named Bud Palmer was either the play by play guy or the color guy.  It was the first time I had ever seen any level of hockey, rather than the games us kids had at the local outdoor skating rink.  If we were playing at the rink on Saturday afternoons, we would try to hurray home after we had "run out of gas," so we could watch guys like Fern Flamin (sp?) and "Terrible Ted" LIndsay, etc.  I remember seeing a young guy wearing #16 for the Black Hawks, and liking what I saw from him.  His unselfish pass to a line mate (Ed Litzenberger) to complete Ed's hat trick is still ingrained in my mind to this day.  Bobby Hull's performances made me a Black Hawks' fan for life.

OK, I know this may be "wordy," but I just wanted to have all you Hawks' fans stop and think about how fortunate we have been in the recently passed years, with 3 Stanley Cups, multiple super star players to watch, and the "rebirth" of the whole franchise from what was, at one time, acclaimed to be the worst pro sports franchise in all of sports (before Rocky took over).  I really feel fortunate to be a Hawks' fan, and will continue to be one until my last day on this earth.  Sure, I get upset when I watch the weak play of our PP and of certain individuals at times.  But I have stopped to think, it wasn't that long ago we'd be happy to just get into the playoffs, not even considering a possible series victory or two. 

When I watch Seabrook, Keith, Toews, and Sharp, I have come to realize that they are probably on the down sides of their careers now.  Goodness knows that they would love to be able to still make the plays to which we had so grown accustomed.  But remember this:  They have given me (and probably any Hawks' fan from as far back as the 1950's) so many great thrills from their play that I cannot quantify their worth to me.  Many of you will comment on how this guy or that guy are not worth the $$ they are now being paid, but I must differ with you on that.  Stretch that $$ out over 60 years, and it doesn't seems so bad, considering that it took that long for them (the Hawks) to put together the 3 Cups in such a short time span as they have.  That's what I'm looking at, and that's how I must value their contributions to the success of the past few years.

If you say, "Forget the past, what are you doing for me know?" then I will say, think about the thousands of fans who have not even experienced ONE Cup victory for their teams?  I think we need to realize how fortunate we have been being Hawks' fans.  I'm not waving the white flag on this season yet, but if we should not fulfill the ultimate goal (the Cup), I'll just have to remember that I've been so blessed to be a Hawks' fan for most of my life, that maybe it's like they say, "All good things come to an end."

Sorry for my ramblings on here, but I especially am a bit reflective today, as it is my 71st birthday, and I'm in pretty good health, and last year I actually was able to take in a Hawks - Montreal game at the United Center.   GO HAWKS!

Great post "hawks27."  I certainly could heed some of your sage advice.  I would also highlight that your avatar (pic) doesn't show a typical 71-year old man.  You seem much younger.  

Myself?  I choose to maintain those Three Cups in a Grand Canyon of memories that shall last a lifetime.  I often replay on Youtube several of my favorite moments, such as Kaner's 2OT winner against the Kings or Seabs' 7th Gamer OT Reliever against the Wings.  There is no question that these memories shall not be eroded.  That said, I choose to balance that with the present.  IMHO, there is a syndrome in being a fan in which we latch on to wonderful memories so much that we are forever forgiving of virtually every current mistake made by players, coaches, GM's, etc.  I believe that this complacency by fans can work its way into how earnestly a team is run being that the "fans just keep comin' so why work so hard? Or, why spend the money on this or that?"  I would also add that, for some of us, letting off steam on these message boards is just about the only place we can let off steam without dire repercussions.  For example, as a teacher, I have 1001 "tick offs" each day that, in today's modern educational system, I can't "fix."  So, I come to these boards and let off steam if my boys are not, IMHO, performing as they should.  My wife actually appreciates it.

Nevertheless, just like going to church each week and being reminded for the one millionth time to love my neighbor as myself, I am grateful for your very wise reminder.

Edited by GigECJ
  • Like 1

EbonyRaptor said on 2 hours ago:

I am not suggesting any particular course of action, but, if true about Toews and diminished playing capacity due to post-concussion effects, then for how much longer does he continue along this course?  Is there hope for those effects to go away while he plays a diminished role?  Or, is he condemned to this as a lifelong sentence and will never revive?  If the latter, what does that mean for the next 6 years of his contract? 

EbonyRaptor said on 3 hours ago:

Regarding Panik:

Babcock is no dummy for a coach.  If Panik was a true 1st line goal scorer he would have blue on his sweater.

With that said, it was a great trade for SB.  I think Q has gotten a lot out of him so far.  Panik has played his role pretty well up until a few weeks ago.

Play to his strengths: he’s built like a brick wall, skates hard, loves to hit and get in your face.  Checking role.

Don’t expose his weaknesses: stone hands and not much of a true scoring touch.  Get him off the top line.  Get him into a third or fourth line role.  Play him in front of the goalie on the second PP unit.  He will take a beating and give a beating in there.

hsbob said on 16 hours ago:

Is it me or were Panik and Hartman more effective players when they were getting a piece of a guy every time too?

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

Both Panik and Quenneville feel the winger is most effective when he’s physically involved, but entering Sunday’s game, Panik had been credited with one measly hit in the previous six games combined. Hits are a notoriously unreliable stat, but this is the guy who led the Hawks in hits last year with 147.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joel-quenneville-shows-patience-with-richard-paniks-prolonged-slump/amp/

GigECJ said on 6 hours ago:

I do remember that song.  Panik?  I totally agree that what you say sing is correct regarding him offensively.  He's got a little Ken Yaremchuk going on there.  Let's draft a letter to Richard the Lionhearted.  May it go something as follows:  "You know Richard, Hawk fans really do appreciate that you play hard all over the ice.  Thank you for your service.  Um, there is this thing though that we would hope to see in the future in the offensive zone.  It's called 'an idea.'  Could you please acquire one?   Sincerely, Gig and ER"

Ha - good one. I like the idea of acquiring an idea. :P

Edited by EbonyRaptor

hawks27 said on 6 hours ago:

thanks for that and happy birthday.

EXCELLENT bit of posting there, mate.

• Upvote 1

hawks27 said on 6 hours ago:

Absolutely 100% agree. My whining and complaining about the current team may seem unappreciative for the past 10 years of great Hawks hockey, but I assure you I am very much appreciative. We've been treated to a level of hockey that many of us old timers thought we'd probably never seen. I was only 7 in 1961 and don't recall them winning the Cup so I will forever be indebted to Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa and the other guys that gave us 3 Cups.