The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Gumby-1

Joel Quenneville

Puckjim said on 6 minutes ago:

Between those three there's a decision to be made?

It would appear so, anyway, considering Schmaltz hasn't solidified himself. You have Hayden playing better than him; you have Debrincat playing better than him. If the objective is to win now, there's a logjam; if the objective is to rebuild and develop all of these players, then we can still cross our fingers for all three.

• Like 1

Granada said on 42 minutes ago:

It would appear so, anyway, considering Schmaltz hasn't solidified himself. You have Hayden playing better than him; you have Debrincat playing better than him. If the objective is to win now, there's a logjam; if the objective is to rebuild and develop all of these players, then we can still cross our fingers for all three.

Schmaltz and Hayden are just guys.

DeBrincat can be a star.

Puckjim said on 5 minutes ago:

Schmaltz and Hayden are just guys.

DeBrincat can be a star.

That's my point. Then get rid of at least one. I'd vote Schmaltz.

Edit: Ok, I get your original question was rhetorical now.

Edited by Granada
  • Like 1

We have fans continually complain about a lack of size but fans keep bringing Hayden up in trade discussions.  He is one of our biggest, intelligent, reliable, checking physical players who plays the right way..  Big John Hayden is not just a player; he is a young man with an offensive upside and will only get better.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

nighbor said on 2 minutes ago:

We have fans continually complain about a lack of size but fans keep bringing Hayden up in trade discussions.  He is one of our biggest, intelligent, reliable, checking physical players who plays the right way..  Big John Hayden is not just a player; he is a young man with an offensive upside and will only get better.  

I like Hayden, a lot.  But he may be a replaceable talent.  D-cat may be a star.

Big difference.

With the way this is going, I would like to see big John get a chance to play center.  Why not?  We stinks...and we need a 3rd line checking center.

nighbor said on 24 minutes ago:

I like Hayden too, and unlike a guy like Schmaltz (and Debrincat), he can actually be afforded more time to develop in that, he can actually be successful in the bottom six/4th line. In other words, he doesn't have to be played in the top six and it isn't a "waste" to play him on the 4th line, unlike Schmaltz or Debrincat. If it were me, I would keep Hayden (and re-sign Bouma and Wingels, assuming they continue to play well the rest of the year and the PK continues to be a bright spot) and package Schmaltz with Hossa's contract (and ideally, Panik's) in the off-season. You need a top-six winger, or a top-six center or 3LC. If we don't have the space to ice 4 legit lines anymore, at least load up on your top two lines and make Debrincat the sole rookie/sophmore in the top six (and keep Hayden in a bottom six/4th line role). That's only if the team isn't planning on immediately rebuilding; if it is, then you keep all three and start dismantling the core. I wouldn't go that far just yet; although if this continues for any length of time in the immediate future, I think that may have to be on the table come this off-season. Still too early to say. 

Edited by Granada
  • Like 1

It’s time to drop the axe on Q, even though he is only partly the problem, something has to give. Stan will be next if the Hawks don’t make the playoffs,  I. Can’t see McDo an Wirtz standing by and watching this titanic sink without making an attempt to change things up. 

hawkinmontreal said on 38 minutes ago:

It’s time to drop the axe on Q, even though he is only partly the problem, something has to give. Stan will be next if the Hawks don’t make the playoffs,  I. Can’t see McDo an Wirtz standing by and watching this titanic sink without making an attempt to change things up. 

I get it’s easier to change the coach.

How about change/expect different from some personnel?

The lift from a coaching change will only last short term with the same personnel.

iknowpuck said on 2 hours ago:

The lift from a coaching change will only last short term with the same personnel.

Generally a coaching change is followed by some sort of acquisition. 

I’m ready for some fresh legs behind the bench 

Puckjim said on 8 minutes ago:

PJ:

You haven’t been a believer in fresh legs in the line-up before.  It’s the line-up that matters the most.

Can’t have tomato cans, right?

Q is no tomato can.

Most of the core is underperforming.  No?

iknowpuck said on 1 hour ago:

I think the team will realign the coaching staff.  Kevin Dineen has been around for sometime now and his power play sucks majorly so maybe he and Don Granato will change places and introduce a new PP system  and get a new lease on life.  The system is faulty not the players. If we were playing football we would be talking of negative yardage.  The team fails to seal off the far wall giving the opposition a free exit.  When Keith retrieves the puck in the corner he returns it near the blue line and passes it back to the face off circle and the next player carries it to the same spot and passes it back to Kane at the same faceoff circle and he carries the puck just inside their blue line and drops it to the point instead of attacking the net or at least drive the defenders deep freeing up the trailer for a hard clear shot on net.

• Upvote 1

iknowpuck said on 10 minutes ago:

PJ:

You haven’t been a believer in fresh legs in the line-up before.  It’s the line-up that matters the most.

Can’t have tomato cans, right?

Q is no tomato can.

Most of the core is underperforming.  No?

Can’t fire players. 

^^^No, but you can sit players.

You can trade players/force trades with NMC’s.

You can hold the players who are on the ice accountable for what they aren’t doing.

Firing Q is the escape goat to the real issue. The core isn’t performing and they should have more in their legs than they are giving. 

iknowpuck said on 1 hour ago:

You can hold the players who are on the ice accountable for what they aren’t doing.

Firing Q is the escape goat to the real issue. The core isn’t performing and they should have more in their legs than they are giving. 

while I agree that the core isn't performing, removing Q and his country club might actually wake them up. 

as was said above, no way does Rocky and McD stand by and watch the shop sink, not after becoming the 4th franchise worth a cool billion. someones head is gonna roll here soon. 

iknowpuck said on 9 hours ago:

Why hasn't this happened yet?

Who is responsible for deciding which players sit and holding players accountable?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

• Like 1

iknowpuck said on 10 hours ago:

The PP stinks.  It may be the system.

Is the PP the fault of a lack of effort/desire 5 on 5?

I'd say both. The only thing that has improved this year is the PK, since we aren't as reliant on kids and we have players who are actually willing and able to block shots -- which is somewhat ironic, considering you could argue that the improvement is also due to Ulf replacing Kitchen. Someone said it best: sometimes players just stop hearing/respecting/heeding/etc. the coach after a while. Maybe a head coach's act simply gets worn thin with players after a certain amount of time, I don't know. You can only do so much as a coach after a while to get your players motivated. That's not an excuse for Quenneville; it's just the reality.

That said, I've always been a Quenneville fan. I don't want to see him fired, and I'd rather Bowman get the boot. Bowman, to me, is a dime a dozen GM. Quenneville on the other hand, is a hall of fame coach with the second winningest record. How do you replace that? Who do you replace him with, that has a good a resume and as much experience? To me, there isn't anybody. The thing is, I do think he will go before Bowman; that's just how it goes, unfortunately.

iknowpuck said on 12 hours ago:

Is it the core isn't performing or that the opponents know how to play against a system that has not changed in a decade? Speed is not the answer but that is what they have been trying to do with undersized players. It's not working. Teams can keep the Hawks to the outside and not even have to chase them just let them shoot and play from the perimeter. It is how it has been for a long time and was successful because there was a mix of speed and players willing to go to the net where the rebounds or redirects from the perimeter would lead to goals. Hits along the boards to gain possession are not there unless it is a Hawk being hit and the other team gaining possession.

iknowpuck said on 19 hours ago:

I like Hayden, a lot.  But he may be a replaceable talent.  D-cat may be a star.

Big difference.

With the way this is going, I would like to see big John get a chance to play center.  Why not?  We stinks...and we need a 3rd line checking center.

MVR always explains Toews' lack of offense on his assignment to check the best lines.  He says the Hawks need to get a 3LC to free up Toews, but talks about trading for one.  I like your idea better.  I always said just find one from within---they got a lot of guys who don't score much, so just make one of them a 3LC.  So, I like your idea of making Hayden that guy.  Worth a try at least.  That way they also get to find out if Toews can score more then. 

Puckjim said on 8 hours ago:

Why hasn't this happened yet?

Who is responsible for deciding which players sit and holding players accountable?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

No need to hang up and listen to my answer...you can read it here...

Q is.  He is loyal to a fault.  

I’m hoping he does start holding players accountable before this season gets away from them.

Somethings gotta give...but I don’t think it should be his job at this point.

Granada said on 8 hours ago:

I'd say both. The only thing that has improved this year is the PK, since we aren't as reliant on kids and we have players who are actually willing and able to block shots -- which is somewhat ironic, considering you could argue that the improvement is also due to Ulf replacing Kitchen. Someone said it best: sometimes players just stop hearing/respecting/heeding/etc. the coach after a while. Maybe a head coach's act simply gets worn thin with players after a certain amount of time, I don't know. You can only do so much as a coach after a while to get your players motivated. That's not an excuse for Quenneville; it's just the reality.

That said, I've always been a Quenneville fan. I don't want to see him fired, and I'd rather Bowman get the boot. Bowman, to me, is a dime a dozen GM. Quenneville on the other hand, is a hall of fame coach with the second winningest record. How do you replace that? Who do you replace him with, that has a good a resume and as much experience? To me, there isn't anybody. The thing is, I do think he will go before Bowman; that's just how it goes, unfortunately.

That’s my point.  A coach can only do so much to motivate players.  These aren’t college players we are talking about.  They are highly paid, cup winning, experienced professionals that seem to be the problem.

They need to motivate themselves and maybe each other.

Q should coach and not need to motivate them.

Now, IF they’ve tuned out his coaching that is different.  Even if they have, they still have a job to do.  Show up, compete, play with desire and work to win.  It’s their job regardless of the coach.

Puckjim said on 20 hours ago:

The real question is who’s available? There’s not many good coaches available, I believe the real problem is in management, this team has been mismanaged for almost a decade. The last 3 years Stan has officially run out of Tallons guys and he’s only had 3-4 guys stick in 10 years, he’s had to resort to dumpster diving and filling the roster with border line NHLers. Q has saved his bacon and he knows it, Q will save his bacon again. Stan is in way over his head with this team, every trade seems to be a backward trade or Lateral at best!!!

• Like 1

It is a tough call coach Q is a great coach. His winning numbers tell the story but we have players making millions a year and doing very little. Debrincat is our best player. Why? He is trying to earn a big contract the others have the contract. It seems they are not motivated. I can’t understand why getting paid what they get should be enough!!! How do you solve this. I am at a loss

Wirtz needs to confront the Core - Toews, Kane, Keith & Seabs and find out what is going on and why they are playing most games with little or no effort at all.