The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Gumby-1

Joel Quenneville

Big-T said on 17 minutes ago:

I think Hino and Hayden can do what Schmaltz and Hartman can do, and better. Maybe package them both for someone like Galchenyuk? Put Galchenyuk on Kane’s Wing, he has a wicked one timer, he’s only 23, 6’1” and 210. He scored 30 2 years ago, Montreal has been a firey school bus crash this year, I think he could help solidify the top 6, also, we could get a 2 rounder from the Habs as they have 3!!!

Not sure I care for Galchenyuk but I am hearing Pacioretty is available. Has another year left on his deal with a $4.5 million cap hit. Can easily afford him with the cap room created by Hossa's LTIR. If they send current roster players back that creates more room. Can discuss extension with him going forward before start of 2019 free agency. 

Big-T said on 5 minutes ago:

I think Galchenyuk can be as effective as Panera, but with a bit more sandpaper. Maybe they take Panik and his 2.8? Cuz I’d like to see this;

Saad Toews Dcat

Galchenyuk AA Kane

Hino Kero Sharp

Bouma Wingels Hayden

We can sub out and slot anyone almost anywhere. This is a much more effective lineup, no need to worry about too many young kids. We’d only have Hayden and Dcat to break in, for the forwards. If we still want to win now, this is what is needed!!!

Think it takes more than Panik and Hartman to get him.

MERPER said on 3 minutes ago:

Not sure I care for Galchenyuk but I am hearing Pacioretty is available. Has another year left on his deal with a $4.5 million cap hit. Can easily afford him with the cap room created by Hossa's LTIR. If they send current roster players back that creates more room. Can discuss extension with him going forward before start of 2019 free agency. 

Just going off of age, 23 vs 29. Plus a few more years on Chuckys deal. Give Chucky time around our guys, and he’ll be a star. I always thought Patches as more of a flake. Just doesn’t seem like a winner to me, maybe I’m wrong!!!

Big-T said on 1 minute ago:

Just going off of age, 23 vs 29. Plus a few more years on Chuckys deal. Give Chucky time around our guys, and he’ll be a star. I always thought Patches as more of a flake. Just doesn’t seem like a winner to me, maybe I’m wrong!!!

Guess it depends if Stan believes this team is 1 top-6 forward away from really making another run or not. If he does then Pacioretty is the guy, if he doesn't and thinks they are further away then it would be Chucky. 

I guess, while I think they are closer to rebuilding than really competing for a Cup again, as long as they have the big, unmovable contracts of 2/7/19/88 they almost need to act like they're going for it to a certain extent.

iknowpuck said on 8 minutes ago:

Think it takes more than Panik and Hartman to get him.

I was offering Schmaltz and Hartman for Galchenyuk, get back a 2nd rounder. See if we can dump another contract on them, either Panik or Murphy. I’d even do a massive blockbuster(which would never happen). Schmaltz, Hartman, Panik, Murphy 1st rounder for Galchenyuk and Paccioretty. Salary is almost a wash. But we’d have to fill another roster spot!!!

MERPER said on 2 minutes ago:

Guess it depends if Stan believes this team is 1 top-6 forward away from really making another run or not. If he does then Pacioretty is the guy, if he doesn't and thinks they are further away then it would be Chucky. 

I guess, while I think they are closer to rebuilding than really competing for a Cup again, as long as they have the big, unmovable contracts of 2/7/19/88 they almost need to act like they're going for it to a certain extent.

Although wrong thread, but I proposed Schmaltz, Hartman, Panik, Murphy 1st rounder for Chucky and Pacioretty. I think he Habs might do this just to start the rebuild. They get two decent young kids and two ok younger guys in Panik and Murphy, plus a very coveted 1st rounder. Hawks get what we need, REAL DEPTH!!!

• Upvote 1

Big-T said on 22 hours ago:

Although wrong thread, but I proposed Schmaltz, Hartman, Panik, Murphy 1st rounder for Chucky and Pacioretty. I think he Habs might do this just to start the rebuild. They get two decent young kids and two ok younger guys in Panik and Murphy, plus a very coveted 1st rounder. Hawks get what we need, REAL DEPTH!!!

To much English for the Habs, would never happen. 

Edited by hawkinmontreal
  • Like 1

hawkinmontreal said on 3 minutes ago:

To much English for the Habs, would never happen. 

you're likely right.

silly isn't it...

galaxytrash said on 1 hour ago:

you're likely right.

silly isn't it...

You better believe it Galaxy, this city loves there francophone players. If you only heard the criticism guys like Shaw take on a nightly basis, it easier to point the finger at that anglophone but the French are impervious to any harsh criticism. One of the main reasons I have been a Hawks fan my entire life and not a Canadians fan, but you can say a player like Steve Larmer also had a lot to do with that as well.

• Like 1

hawkinmontreal said on 26 minutes ago:

You better believe it Galaxy, this city loves there francophone players. If you only heard the criticism guys like Shaw take on a nightly basis, it easier to point the finger at that anglophone but the French are impervious to any harsh criticism. One of the main reasons I have been a Hawks fan my entire life and not a Canadians fan, but you can say a player like Steve Larmer also had a lot to do with that as well.

It’s that culture that will get them in a race to the bottom. It’s borderline racist. And I’m the last person to use that term, as I hate it and it should only be used in proper situations, but the Habs only hire French GMs and Coaches, which is very sketchy!!!

galaxytrash said on 10 hours ago:

i prefer to call it extreme bias.   :)

Whatever term we use to associate with for the Canadians, it has become the main reason for there downfall and the main reason why, if we had a player who had a French background and could speak French to the media I am sure they would entertain a trade offer as did Tampa with Jonathan Drouin. 

• Like 1

hawkinmontreal said on 19 minutes ago:

Whatever term we use to associate with for the Canadians, it has become the main reason for there downfall and the main reason why, if we had a player who had a French background and could speak French to the media I am sure they would entertain a trade offer as did Tampa with Jonathan Drouin. 

i have no idea whatsoever how long it's been this way...and to make myself clear i think their thinking is pretty archaic.

but, they have won a lot of cups.

one day i'll have to check in with my old pal wikipedia and have a glance at some of their older stanley cup championship teams.

hawkinmontreal said on 3 hours ago:

Maybe then they would be willing to take Toews off our hands as he speaks French.

galaxytrash said on 2 hours ago:

i have no idea whatsoever how long it's been this way...and to make myself clear i think their thinking is pretty archaic.

but, they have won a lot of cups.

one day i'll have to check in with my old pal wikipedia and have a glance at some of their older stanley cup championship teams.

Majority of their cup wins were before the draft when junior teams were sponsored by NHL teams.  At one time Montreal had the rights to all the players from the Province of Quebec.

Big-T said on On 11/22/2017 at 5:29 PM:

I think Bouma has played well enough to keep his spot. I’m going off the rails on the crazy train here. This is the time for Stan to package Hartman and someone else for a top 6 player. We can easily replace Hartman with Hino. I think this makes the team instantly better.   We need top 6 help, I’m not sold on Schmaltz yet either, I think he’s gotten all his points by playing with top players, but hasn’t done much on his own, I’d even package him for a top 6 player. Depending on the player!!!

100% agree.

hawkinmontreal said on On 11/24/2017 at 6:34 AM:

Huet speaks French :D

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where to put it. I guess it's a right place since it's a Q's  decision. 

Those are latest lines at the practice. Now we don't have even good 4th line anymore. 

Hartman-Toews-Hayden

Saad-Anisimov-Kane

Bouma-Schmaltz-DeBrincat

Sharp-Wingels-Panik

irmaks said on 4 minutes ago:

Wasn't sure where to put it. I guess it's a right place since it's a Q's  decision. 

Those are latest lines at the practice. Now we don't have even good 4th line anymore. 

Hartman-Toews-Hayden

Saad-Anisimov-Kane

Bouma-Schmaltz-DeBrincat

Sharp-Wingels-Panik

Um...wow.

irmaks said on 2 hours ago:

Hartman-Toews-Hayden

Saad-Anisimov-Kane

Bouma-Schmaltz-DeBrincat

Sharp-Wingels-Panik

Don't understand why DeBrincat wasn't moved to the first line.  Now, Toews is really going to be depressed over what they have given him for linemates.  It's kind of a mess over there. 

jacksalmon said on 14 minutes ago:

Don't understand why DeBrincat wasn't moved to the first line.  Now, Toews is really going to be depressed over what they have given him for linemates.  It's kind of a mess over there. 

Probably didn't want to saddle El Gato with Toews #ShotsFired. :D

In all seriousness, I agree.  If one of Hayden or El Gato can play the left side effectively, have them up on the 1st line with each other with Toews centering.

If the coach is going to use Toews primarily as a defensive checker, he might as well play him with checkers.   Hayden and Hartman could be very good fits there.  This line has some potential and could be effective in both zones - though it won't score much if defending the opponent's best players every night.

I suspect that the new third line will remain intact for about three shifts (and two goals against).  Two young players - one of them still attempting to learn the centre position-  together with a fourth line grinder is a recipe for disaster.

Saad could help Debrincat and Schmaltz.   But then who would play with Kane?   Hinostroza remains in Rockford.   Panik's game has fallen off a cliff.     Sharp might be done.  

The team still needs a third-line checking centre or a top-six scoring winger.  Either would help enormously, though the centre might be easier to find and cheaper.

Quenneville can keep rearranging the furniture, but it won't change anything.   

Bowman needs to get active.   He won't likely, however, until the trade deadline, which will be too late for this season.

mvr said on 49 minutes ago:

If the coach is going to use Toews primarily as a defensive checker, he might as well play him with checkers.   Hayden and Hartman could be very good fits there.  This line has some potential and could be effective in both zones - though it won't score much if defending the opponent's best players every night.

I suspect that the new third line will remain intact for about three shifts (and two goals against).  Two young players - one of them still attempting to learn the centre position-  together with a fourth line grinder is a recipe for disaster.

Saad could help Debrincat and Schmaltz.   But then who would play with Kane?   Hinostroza remains in Rockford.   Panik's game has fallen off a cliff.     Sharp might be done.  

The team still needs a third-line checking centre or a top-six scoring winger.  Either would help enormously, though the centre might be easier to find and cheaper.

Quenneville can keep rearranging the furniture, but it won't change anything.   

Bowman needs to get active.   He won't likely, however, until the trade deadline, which will be too late for this season.

I thought there was recognition that the Hawks needed to augment the first line because Toews had no wingers to help the scoring last year.  So, they went and got him Saad to help that line score and to give the team another scoring line.  So, who the hell is responsible for making Toews a checker?  I think it is not entirely accurate to attribute Toews' lack of scoring to the fact that he is just another checker.  But, what the hell do I know?  I think he has other problems as described many times on this board. 

Who the hell would be responsible for turning one of the supposed stars of the league into part of a checking line?  Isn't he supposed to be a top notch scorer?  They couldn't have envisioned him only as a checker when they gave him his big contract.  This makes no sense and it may be indicative of how much confusion there is among the Hawk brass about how to utilize the players they have. 

Jack -  My feeling is that it really makes little difference who plays on the Toews line.   If the coach is going to use him as a checker, he will check.   But he won't score much. He is not that dominant two-way scoring centre any more and has not been for at least two years.    

Toews did not score much with or without Hossa last year (other than in February when the coach relieved him of the primary checking line duties in favour of Kruger/Hossa).  

Adding Saad but subtracting Hossa means no real upgrade here to that line.   Panik has been an enormous disappointment all year long and will soon find himself out of the league if he does not get his act together on the fourth line.

The way I see it, the answer is fairly strait-forward.  If you want Toews to score, you have to change his role.    You need to get an alternative third line centre who can contain the opponent's best players.  Schmaltz is not that.  

This has been my argument for a couple of years.    

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying your thinking on Toews.  But, what I don't get is how the Hawks could have agreed to pay him so much to be a checker?  He has to have more left in his game than checking. 

Why not let him off the checking role and tell him to go out and score?  Then, put whoever they have on the third line for the checking duties.  They can't be any worse off than what they are now by using a guy like Toews, who is supposed to be a dominant player, merely as a checker.  Let him loose and see what he can do to put a few pucks in the net.  Then, let Schmaltz, or whoever, run around and check Crosby or whoever.  It just seems to me a big waste of Toews' talent to let him be a checker, assuming he has anything left in his scoring tank.  If he is shot as a scorer, then, fine, let him check his butt off.