The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Madrose

11/05 Hawks vs Habs

iknowpuck said on 10 hours ago:

Jack: you make good points...even when bob gets angry with you for saying they are like 4th liners😜

Stay in your lane,I've been stayin' in mine!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

blkhwks918 said on 13 hours ago:

A side observation from the UC last night: perhaps I never paid attention and it's been going on, but the crowd at the UC seemed about as interested in the the game as the team: woman in front of me played Candy Crush Saga for most of the game. Guys next to me talked football for the limited time they were actually in their seats, and I know the entirety of all the problems the two women behind me are having with their kids' teachers and schools ("I had to write a note saying it was OK for him to review his multiplication table flash cards during study time...so what if they're only doing addition and subtraction in class, if he understands multiplication, then why not let him look at it?")

My brother had tickets for the Minnesota game earlier in October, and he said a lot of the crowd was watching the Cubs game, in the concourses. 

I guess it's just the place to be seen. How long will that last?

This is telling. I remember going to a game in the 08-09 season against Colorado, and the place was insane -- all game, but especially during the anthem. It might have been the best anthem I've ever seen, and it was weird, because it was a regular season game against Colorado, relatively early in the season; and I don't even think it was a sell-out at the time (close, but I don't think they were selling out every game at that point). But the buzz was huge. It's not as electric anymore.

I mean, look at the message board itself....overall activity has declined dramatically, it seems.

The silver lining is, the real fans will stick around. I've been through the dark years (as you probably have also), and this is nothing.

• Like 1

Big-T said on On 11/5/2017 at 7:18 PM:

I’ll say A. The desire is gone, and the longer we wait for it to come back, the older they are. They showed a nice piece on Seabs tonight. They showed his place in BC and how much he loved being there, I seriously feel that playing hockey gets in the way of their lifestyles now, instead of hockey being their lifestyle. If they lose now, it probably doesn’t bother them. Toews used to get ever so pissed after a loss, now he’s like “Meh”, if this keeps up, this summer, Stan will need to stop chasing the dream, or find a new gig( no pun intended there buddy). I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think it’s time for some fresh eyes on this situation!!!

If that is the case, it presents some interesting lessons for a GM.  First, rewarding "stars" for great accomplishments seems like the right thing to do.  That is done in all sports and has been the norm for a long time.  No one can blame Bowman for tying up Toews and Kane.  He might have been too generous, but keeping them around was the right thing to do.

Second, there is always the possibility that he who was once a star will lose his light and become a pile of cold matter.  But, no GM can possibly predict that.  Compare the productivity of Tom Brady versus Toews and Kane this year, so far.  They may yet show some signs of their former excellence.  Who knows?

Third, if stars become complacent and lose the desire to win, in hockey, the GM is really stuck.  He is not getting what he expected and the former stars are impossible to trade because of the size of their contracts.  So, the GM becomes dependent on the stars' willingness to walk away from the game and leave money on the table.  Good luck with that.  So, the GM has to either eat some of the contracts; or let them play themselves out.  It is easy to get booed while collecting huge paychecks.  However, despite the concerns of many posters that the Hawk stars have lost their desire to play the game, it is still somewhat unexpected that would be the case.  Most star athletes just fade away as they age and do not just stop competing and trying to win. 

So, in the end, I guess a GM has to follow the norm and reward stars with big contracts to keep them around and keep his fingers crossed that they continue to produce.  If they don't, the GM and the team are screwed for many, many years.  There is no way out except benching and tanking for high draft picks.  I am not saying the Hawks are in the situation, but many are suggesting that. 

Another thing a GM has to ask himself in hockey, at least, is whether he is going to get more bang for the buck from the "star" or "stars" or spreading it around to more individuals, who also have some serious quality.  To use Toews and Kane as an example without suggesting that this is what Bowman should have done.  He could have taken the $21 million he gave to those guys and got 4 guys for $5.25 mill apiece; or 5 for $4.2 apiece.  That is a lot of talent for the same price.  Again, not saying this is what Bowman should have done.  It was an option for him, though, as an alternative to paying two guys so much, or in the case of Edmonton or Buffalo with McDavid and Eichel, paying one guy so much.  If these stars are worth so much, then why isn't Edmonton better than they are this year?  Hockey may be a different sport where in the individual super stars don't matter as much.  It sure ain't the NBA. 

Edited by jacksalmon

hsbob said on 10 hours ago:

Stay in your lane,I've been stayin' in mine!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

That's because your a better driver than I am.

Try loosening up a little bit...it was a joke.  

iknowpuck said on 16 hours ago:

That's because your a better driver than I am.

Try loosening up a little bit...it was a joke.  

I'm a very good driver.....very good driver!LOL!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Coach Burish brought it up the other night so i will mention it .....What happened to the shoot the puck from right to left purposely wide so the guy on the post can just tap it in with some hard vigorous raking..normally the goalie gets a leg out or impedes in some way but the offensive guy on the post has the advantage ... we all remember that play ...perhaps we should reverse it go left to right .....

Furthermore what happened to the drop pass shot using the passer as the screener .....i know its circa 13 but still .....

so yea as a personal favor i ask for that 7 to 8 yr old play.... Have a guy playing possum in the corner who's true intent is to receiver a pass viewed as a shot 12 to 24 inches from the post .....If you want to modernize it have the puck carrier drop to the d man track along the boards button hook behind the net to receive ...The d man lets it go when the skater just passes the goalie so the whole thing is bang bang 

If they would just do what they say they need to, after every game ,in the post game interviews, we might be a little better off