The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Madrose

11/01 Hawks vs Flyers

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

It doesn't have to be black and white like some would lead you to believe; and in all honesty, the win the Hawks got against the Flyers had little to do with "how bad" the Flyers were; but rather, how many defensive breakdowns, odd-man rushes, and goalie bail-outs occurred on the Hawks' end. The fact one team is considered better or worse than the other is all but irrelevant in this league, particularly in the regular season. Any team can win on any given night.

I read your comment to mean that often outcomes are determined by a few plays in a game and not on the general quality of the players.  While there is a lot of truth to that, I think that overall team quality, as made up of individual player quality, is the main determinant of outcome.  Otherwise, there is no reason to pay two guys $10.5 million each.  Generally speaking, while a "bad team" can beat a "good team" on any given night, the good teams will prevail over the bad teams in a high percentage of their meetings. 

jacksalmon said on 13 minutes ago:

I read your comment to mean that often outcomes are determined by a few plays in a game and not on the general quality of the players.  While there is a lot of truth to that, I think that overall team quality, as made up of individual player quality, is the main determinant of outcome.  Otherwise, there is no reason to pay two guys $10.5 million each.  Generally speaking, while a "bad team" can beat a "good team" on any given night, the good teams will prevail over the bad teams in a high percentage of their meetings. 

I didn't mean that. I'm just stating, any team can win on any given night; so to say "well, Chicago is better than Philly, but Philly beat St. Louis, so Philly isn't that bad after all, etc." is pointless. It's pointless to base it off of that either way.

Edited by Granada

If the Blues win convincingly last night,it would absolutely have been used to diminish Wednesday's win even further.

GO HAWKS!!!!!   

• Like 1

^ Okay (in your opinion), but it shouldn't be in that hypothetical, and it shouldn't be used to trump the Hawks up either. It's one game either way. That's my point.

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

^ Okay (in your opinion), but it shouldn't be in that hypothetical, and it shouldn't be used to trump the Hawks up either. It's one game either way. That's my point.

It's probably pointless as you say but in my opinion(it's all any of us have...right?) the win was already being diminished. I understand that match ups enter into any win and some teams are actually better on the 2nd leg of a back to back but handing the Blues their 1st home loss was impressive.....just my opinion.

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

Edited by hsbob

That's fine -- I didn't mean to diminish the win as much as I meant to give an honest assessment of the game, which is what I always try to do. I didn't read the whole thread though, so maybe there were people who were diminishing it. To me, there were a couple things that were undeniable (that even the NBC Sports guys touched on): there were a ton of defensive breakdowns, a lot of odd-man rushes, and a ton of huge saves by Crawford. But like I also said, it was nice to see them not sit back in the 3rd. I think it's fair to say that this team still have a ways to go overall to get back to being the team they used to be; some of it is young guys like Schmaltz and Debrincat still being green; some of it is older-but-newer players developing chemistry and learning their assignments better.

Granada said on 3 minutes ago:

That's fine -- I didn't mean to diminish the win as much as I meant to give an honest assessment of the game, which is what I always try to do. I didn't read the whole thread though, so maybe there were people who were diminishing it. To me, there were a couple things that were undeniable (that even the NBC Sports guys touched on): there were a ton of defensive breakdowns, a lot of odd-man rushes, and a ton of huge saves by Crawford. But like I also said, it was nice to see them not sit back in the 3rd. I think it's fair to say that this team still have a ways to go overall to get back to being the team they used to be; some of it is young guys like Schmaltz and Debrincat still being green; some of it is older-but-newer players developing chemistry and learning their assignments better.

Yup,still a ways to go but I thought the overall effort was a lot better and at least we finally scored on a breakaway!LOL!

GO HAWKS!!!!!  

• Like 1

Granada said on 4 hours ago:

I didn't mean that. I'm just stating, any team can win on any given night; so to say "well, Chicago is better than Philly, but Philly beat St. Louis, so Philly isn't that bad after all, etc." is pointless. It's pointless to base it off of that either way.

To support your point, the Flyers have been the only team in the league to lose to the Yotes.  Then, a few days later, they go out and beat the red hot Blues in St. Louis.  Does that make any sense?  Yes, if one correctly believes that any team can beat another team on any given night.  But, do I think the Flyers would win a 7 game series with the Blues?  I don't.  Hell, I don't even think they would win a 7 game series with the Hawks. 

jacksalmon said on 3 minutes ago:

To support your point, the Flyers have been the only team in the league to lose to the Yotes.  Then, a few days later, they go out and beat the red hot Blues in St. Louis.  Does that make any sense?  Yes, if one correctly believes that any team can beat another team on any given night.  But, do I think the Flyers would win a 7 game series with the Blues?  I don't.  Hell, I don't even think they would win a 7 game series with the Hawks. 

They'd probably beat the Yotes in a seven game series too........don't you think? Do you really consider the Hawks to be as hapless as your last sentence suggests?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

hsbob said on 16 minutes ago:

They'd probably beat the Yotes in a seven game series too........don't you think? Do you really consider the Hawks to be as hapless as your last sentence suggests?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I personally think the level of "haplessness" of the 'hawks is in the hands of the players.  We've seen a large swing in the play of the hawks this year, from outright dominating to, "this is an NHL team, right?"

Personally, I don't think the 'hawks issue is skill or talent, but bringing it to bear night-in/night-out.  Even with Toews, Ani,  and Keith looking much better against the Flyers, Kane and Seabs were still MIA. 

I look at the 'hawks now like I saw them last year:  We see the 1st 2 games 'hawks out there in a 7 game series, we either win it or kick the snot out of them in an outright war of attrition that we barely lose in the bitter end.  We see the 'hawks since, and they lose in embarrassing fashion like they did against Nashville.

The real question is which team decides to show up for the playoffs.  Just like last season:  The question was whether or not the Feb. 'hawks show up or the March 'hawks for the playoffs.  Unfortunately for the fans it was a trick question last year:  the 2006 'hawks showed up...but I digress.

Right now I think the task for coaching has to be keeping the core engaged enough for a playoff berth and keeping them psyched up rather than coasting in the playoffs.  If that means bag skating them then so be it--it certainly worked better than whatever Q was doing in practice prior.

LordKOTL said on 20 minutes ago:

I personally think the level of "haplessness" of the 'hawks is in the hands of the players.  We've seen a large swing in the play of the hawks this year, from outright dominating to, "this is an NHL team, right?"

Personally, I don't think the 'hawks issue is skill or talent, but bringing it to bear night-in/night-out.  Even with Toews, Ani,  and Keith looking much better against the Flyers, Kane and Seabs were still MIA. 

I look at the 'hawks now like I saw them last year:  We see the 1st 2 games 'hawks out there in a 7 game series, we either win it or kick the snot out of them in an outright war of attrition that we barely lose in the bitter end.  We see the 'hawks since, and they lose in embarrassing fashion like they did against Nashville.

The real question is which team decides to show up for the playoffs.  Just like last season:  The question was whether or not the Feb. 'hawks show up or the March 'hawks for the playoffs.  Unfortunately for the fans it was a trick question last year:  the 2006 'hawks showed up...but I digress.

Right now I think the task for coaching has to be keeping the core engaged enough for a playoff berth and keeping them psyched up rather than coasting in the playoffs.  If that means bag skating them then so be it--it certainly worked better than whatever Q was doing in practice prior.

Devils and Oilers meet at Rogers Place tonight,one team's 9-2-0 and the other hapless bunch is 3-7-1 and it's the opposite of what anyone predicted. Todd McLellan might want to explore the bag skate technique himself.  

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

hsbob said on 1 hour ago:

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I don't consider the Hawks to be as hapless as my last sentence suggested.  It was more of a tease statement.  Despite numerous negative comments i have made about them, with a few positive ones thrown in to keep me honest, I am sitting on the fence about them.  As you have suggested, we need more of a sample size to see what we really have.  With some of the new players, that sample size might be 30 to 40 games before we can draw any real conclusions.  Even then, a team can go one way or another, just after you think you have them figured out. 

Last year, after the Hawks won the Central, I never saw the Pred blowout coming.  I might have even wished that they got the Preds when looking to see which team was going to be the 8th seed.  Not seeing it coming is as much a comment about my wisdom as it is about how any team that makes the playoffs can turn it on and go far, if they put it together in a timely manner as the Preds did. 

hsbob said on 1 hour ago:

Devils and Oilers meet at Rogers Place tonight,one team's 9-2-0 and the other hapless bunch is 3-7-1 and it's the opposite of what anyone predicted. Todd McLellan might want to explore the bag skate technique himself.  

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I'll have to check that one out.  Have been curious about the Devils.  Saw enuf of the Oilers against the Hawks to know there isn't much there.  I don't know why such a big difference in a year with the Oilers. 

LordKOTL said on On 11/2/2017 at 7:36 AM:

"Fight" afterward sucked though.

https://theathletic.com/146224/2017/11/04/why-fight-when-you-did-nothing-wrong-blackhawks-connor-murphy-explains-the-reasoning/

i like "the athletic"

it's a shame i'm too cheap to subscribe.

anyone?

Edited by galaxytrash

well....if we lose in minny....the good thing is these boards will pick up.

it hasn't been this dead since the doldrums of summer.

• Upvote 2

hsbob said on 17 hours ago:

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Saw enuf of that game to know that the Devils didn't have it going-----at least last night.   I'll make the bold prediction that despite their early success they aren't going to win the Cup.  Actually, I didn't see much that was very exciting from them.  Granted, it was only one game, but there just was not much there. 

jacksalmon said on 8 hours ago:

Saw enuf of that game to know that the Devils didn't have it going-----at least last night.   I'll make the bold prediction that despite their early success they aren't going to win the Cup.  Actually, I didn't see much that was very exciting from them.  Granted, it was only one game, but there just was not much there. 

that wasn't the same group i saw earlier in the season. like T mentioned...they're a different looking team this year but they did look pretty blah yesterday.

they were 5-0 in road games this season before the oilers took them down, though.