The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Madrose

11/01 Hawks vs Flyers

While the rest of the team played a decent game and it was good to get the win, Crawford outshone them all by a longshot.  This was his win and the rest of the team did enough against a Flyer team that was the first team in the league to lose to the Yotes.  It was nice to see Anisimov go to the net and get the rebound goal on the power play.  But, otherwise, it was a pretty good effort by whole team and they sure needed the win.  Hope this will inspire them to win a few more, but this one was Crawford's in my book. 

only got to see parts this evening, but it looked like the effort was there tonight, at least. still a ton of breakdowns in coverage, but those are things that can be worked on with time. 

that all being said, I'd say this team could use another piece on offense. the d is gonna be what it is, I would say. really would like to see Stan add someone sooner rather than later that could help out the top six. I thought the Toews line looked solid. 

galaxytrash said on 4 hours ago:

just google "what is the worst lead in hockey". it's 2 goals almost every hit.

i don't agree and not looking to argue the point but it's one of those tired cliches that everyone seems to repeat.

I too am not looking, to argue the point but I feel it necessary to add my take on the dreaded 2-0 lead.  The leading team tends to go into  a protect mode.  A good shot and a bad bounce and the game is tied.  Blackhawk history is rife with blown 2-0 leads.  The two freshest and biggest examples: 2014, game 7 western conference final with LA.  We ended up losing 5-4 on a fluke goal (deflected off own player),in overtime.  2017 game 3 Nashville series, a complete shift brain fart and contact with Crawford but outside of crease therefore no goaltender interference and we are tied. Overtime loss.

GigECJ said on 8 hours ago:

I totally agree.  Yes, CC was huge, but I think the team played well enough to win.

CC was the best individual player but not mistake free and defense saved him few times too.Flyers were pretty impotent team yesterday,Hawks still have to be better..

I think the gaps were smaller, faster on the puck, better position wise, D helped Craw out a few times, Need a little better passing, and receiving of pass's, a little more front of net presence.  I'll take the win, but another few games to make any kind of judgement of improvement, ( how much)

Good ole Number 55 came up big last night. Glad to get 2 points. This scoring drought can't last forever - boys gotta have a shoot first mentality and get everything to the net. So many times last night I thought they should have shot. Crow came up huge last night and there were times when Elliott did for them as well - I thought the boys could have potted a few more. Still things to improve on - good thing there's still a LOT of season left to do so. You can't have this much turnover on a roster - lose a huge piece like Hossa and not think there aren't going to be growing pains. It was funny to see the non fight fight of Murphy. Probably don't want to beat up the assistant coaches son. lol. 

Good to see Crow getting some praises. I 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ATNBlackhawksFan said on 8 minutes ago:

Good ole Number 55 came up big last night. Glad to get 2 points. This scoring drought can't last forever - boys gotta have a shoot first mentality and get everything to the net. So many times last night I thought they should have shot. Crow came up huge last night and there were times when Elliott did for them as well - I thought the boys could have potted a few more. Still things to improve on - good thing there's still a LOT of season left to do so. You can't have this much turnover on a roster - lose a huge piece like Hossa and not think there aren't going to be growing pains. It was funny to see the non fight fight of Murphy. Probably don't want to beat up the assistant coaches son. lol. 

Good to see Crow getting some praises. I 

Who's your daddy? CRAWDADDY! Nice to hear what actual experts think about the team!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 2

vadarx said on 8 hours ago:

only got to see parts this evening, but it looked like the effort was there tonight, at least. still a ton of breakdowns in coverage, but those are things that can be worked on with time. 

that all being said, I'd say this team could use another piece on offense. the d is gonna be what it is, I would say. really would like to see Stan add someone sooner rather than later that could help out the top six. I thought the Toews line looked solid. 

Yeah, to me, this was a bit of an ugly win. So many breakdowns and odd-man rushes; if the Hawks are playing a good team, I think we get buried early. The effort was better on the Hawks' part and it was encouraging they didn't sit back in the 3rd, but if Crawford wasn't spectacular, I think we lose that game early. This team is still far from the team it once was, but a win's a win.

• Like 1

Coulda been worse, but I'll take the 2.  Crawford was monster when he needed to be.  I think this game should be a lesson for Q...when things go bad don't coddle the core--start bustin' some heads.

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

Yeah, to me, this was a bit of an ugly win. So many breakdowns and odd-man rushes; if the Hawks are playing a good team, I think we get buried early. The effort was better on the Hawks' part and it was encouraging they didn't sit back in the 3rd, but if Crawford wasn't spectacular, I think we lose that game early. This team is still far from the team it once was, but a win's a win.

I think you are right in your assessment that part of the win was due to the fact that they were not playing a very good team.  A better test of whether they are getting better will come Saturday in Minnesota. If they can win that one, they have the potential to go on a little winning streak with the Habs and those Flyers and Canes coming up right after.  Eventually, though, they have to play the Devils at home in what will be a big test. 

There is a lot to improve; and, hopefully, having some games against weaker teams coming up could help them do that.  To have two guys making $10.5 million apiece and another making $6 million on a team that is 28th in the league on the PP is a big piece that needs improvement immediately and in a major way. 

Edited by jacksalmon

galaxytrash said on 1 hour ago:

boards sure are quiet today.

we must've won yesterday.  :)

Busy sharpening up the long knives?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Edited by hsbob

boards sure are quiet today.

we must've won yesterday.  :)

Even the severest critics get tired saying the same thing over and over again. 

As we console ourselves over last night's win,we can take solace in the pathetic team from Phily going into St Louis on the second leg of a back to back and getting a shut out for their back up goaltender...........pathetic!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

The Flyers (yes, those Flyers) beat the Blues tonight in St. Louis, 2-0.  So, either,

1.  The Hawks' win last night was a better win than it was thought to be; or,

2.  Even the better teams in the league have off nights, or

3. It might be a combo of 1 and 2. 

jacksalmon said on 16 minutes ago:

The Flyers (yes, those Flyers) beat the Blues tonight in St. Louis, 2-0.  So, either,

Just no rhyme or reason to it sometimes,especially early in the year, The Rags went into TB and held their offensive machine to a single goal and the Pens 1st time starter is pitchin' a shut out goin into the 3rd in Calgary. Hellebuyck and the Jets are looking real solid so far too this year but once again,it's early.

The Pens are 8-5-1 with a -13 goal diff,hard to figure this game!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Edited by hsbob

hsbob said on 1 hour ago:

Just no rhyme or reason to it sometimes,especially early in the year, The Rags went into TB and held their offensive machine to a single goal and the Pens 1st time starter is pitchin' a shut out goin into the 3rd in Calgary. Hellebuyck and the Jets are looking real solid so far too this year but once again,it's early.

The Pens are 8-5-1 with a -13 goal diff,hard to figure this game!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

there are no "bad" teams in the nhl anymore, in my humblest of opinions.

only teams you "should" beat.

Yeah, that Rag win was even more surprising than the Flyer win, IMO.  Good to see that the Pens got beat tonight.  I saw that goal differential figure yesterday.  That is quite amazing.  The Hawks sure made a major contribution to that difference.  As a lot of the posters have been saying here, it is still early  in the season and there is a lot of time to turn things around for the Hawks.  The Yotes might be a "bad" team, though, as well as team that should be beat. 

As you said, Bob, hard to figure this game sometimes and that Flyer win tonight is a very, very prime example of that.  How the hell did they play a back to back and go up against the red hot Bues and whip them on their own ice?  Strange stuff, eh? 

jacksalmon said on 11 hours ago:

It doesn't have to be black and white like some would lead you to believe; and in all honesty, the win the Hawks got against the Flyers had little to do with "how bad" the Flyers were; but rather, how many defensive breakdowns, odd-man rushes, and goalie bail-outs occurred on the Hawks' end. The fact one team is considered better or worse than the other is all but irrelevant in this league, particularly in the regular season. Any team can win on any given night.

Edited by Granada