The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Old_Hawk

Are You Worried Yet?

Big-T said on 17 hours ago:

It’s not unusual for GMs to speak with their team. However, if there is a problem with the coach(s), I’d like to think the leadership group on the Hawks would head into the office first and express their displeasure, that’s how the Pens did it. They did that with Therien and then with Bylsma. I’m not sure at the moment that the Hawks need a new coach, it’s not even 10 games in yet, but we’ll see!!!

First 2 games they used the whole ice surface. Since then it's been back to the perimeter play. First 2 games showed why bigger more physical players were brought in. Since then it shows they are not the finesse team of old. First 2 games they had success getting out of their zone cleanly. Since then they showed us to stop with trying to do those silly stretch passes out of the zone. First 2 games they had crisp passes. Since then they couldn't pass an IQ test against a box of rocks. There are problems but they can be fixed. Go back to playing like the first 2 games.

• Like 1

jacksalmon said on 1 hour ago:

Let me straighten you out, Bob.  A team can be pathetic in one game and an embarrassment at the same time without remaining that way for an entire season.  The effort against the Knights was pathetic and embarrassing.  You seem to fail to realize that.  You also seem to unable to realize that it is ok to criticize a team for pathetic efforts. 

I am just raising questions because, unlike you, I don't know what will happen this season.  You know that they are the greatest and will win the Stanley Cup.  I have my doubts and am not afraid to express them.  You can't let yourself express any doubts about this team even when pathetic efforts like those against the Knights, Coyotes and Oilers are put forth. 

In the Knight game thread, near the end, a poster asks if anyone saw/heard Kane's interview at the end of the Knight game in which he said that after the first two games of the year, they realized it was an 82 game season and that they could not play at that pace the whole season.  Besides being one of the most bizarre statements I have heard, just when does the team expect to pick up the pace of play again?  Mid-season?  At the 65 game mark?  When they are pushed to make the playoffs?  Not until the playoffs?  So, they are being paid big money not to put out their max effort to win games?  Sorry about all the questions.  I know you like firm answers and only one of them.  This is the greatest hockey team ever assembled and last year did not happen. 

Thanks for putin' me back on the straight and narrow jack,when I need a little misery and woe in my life,I can always count on you.

Where in the world did I ever say that they're the greatest and will win the cup,I've made no predictions other than saying I expect the team to make the playoffs and you know that as well as I do. I have referred to last year's 1st round as a massive disappointment,a failure and a choke so yes,I do know it happened and you'd never let me forget if I tried!

You are certainly NOT afraid to express doubts and I don't remember you ever doing otherwise.

You're far from alone in stating your disgust with the team's motivation level and ability level but when you preface a post with "I think you are right and they deserve a bigger sample size before making any concrete judgements" and follow that up with a "however" and follow that up with three paragraphs of the most scathing judgements you could possibly make leads me to believe you like both sides of the fence. You said they deserve a bigger sample size.........do they or don't they?

Sure you can ask questions but expect answers when you do. There are open ended questions that elicit a detailed response,ie;... what'll it take to get back on track? 

There are closed end questions that elicit a yes or no answer ie;............are the glory days over?

There are also provocative questions like "why do they suck?" and  "why don't they care?",these questions elicit provocative responses but I believe you know that.......it's like askin a guy when he quit wearin' his wife's underwear?LOL!

I do have questions of my own........

At what point does the scoring return?

Why is there air?

What'll it take to get the most out of the team?

What's the meaning of life?

Are they tuning Q out?

Where do baby's come from?

Feel free to answer any or all!LOL!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Edited by hsbob
  • Like 3

hsbob said on 3 minutes ago:

Thanks for putin' me back on the straight and narrow jack,when I need a little misery and woe in my life,I can always count on you.

Where in the world did I ever say that they're the greatest and will win the cup,I've made no predictions other than saying I expect the team to make the playoffs and you know that as well as I do. I have referred to last year's 1st round as a massive disappointment,a failure and a choke so yes,I do know it happened and you'd never let me forget if I tried!

You are certainly NOT afraid to express doubts and I don't remember you ever doing otherwise.

You're far from alone in stating your disgust with the team's motivation level and ability level but when you preface a post with "I think you are right and they deserve a bigger sample size before making any concrete judgements" and follow that up with a "however" and follow that up with three paragraphs of the most scathing judgements you could possibly make leads me to believe you like both sides of the fence. You said they deserve a bigger sample size.........do they or don't they?

Sure you can ask questions but expect answers when you do. There are open ended questions that elicit a detailed response,ie... what'll it take to get back on track? 

There are closed end questions that elicit a yes or no answer ie............are the glory days over?

There are also provocative questions like "why do they suck?" and  "why don't they care?",these questions elicit provocative responses but I believe you know that.......it's ;like askin a guy when he quit wearin' his wife's underwear?LOL!

Why is there air?

Are they tuning Q out?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I got some answers :D

At what point does the scoring return?        If they are old like us they will never score like we use to when we were young.

Why is their air?      So we can pollute it then clean it up and pollute it again

What will it take to get the most out of this team?          Well money doesn't seem to be the answer so i dunno.

What is the meaning of life?           Has your life been void of Monty Python?

Are they tuning out Q?       Does he have knobs? Maybe I should just leave that one alone.

Where do baby's come from ?        Storks everybody knows that you see them littered all over a persons yard when a baby arrives.

• Like 2

hsbob said on 3 hours ago:

Sure you can ask questions but expect answers when you do. There are open ended questions that elicit a detailed response,ie;... what'll it take to get back on track? 

There are closed end questions that elicit a yes or no answer ie;............are the glory days over?

There are also provocative questions like "why do they suck?" and  "why don't they care?",these questions elicit provocative responses but I believe you know that.......it's like askin a guy when he quit wearin' his wife's underwear?LOL!

Why is there air?

Are they tuning Q out?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Look, Bob, I know that in any web site like this one some people rub others the wrong way. I know that I do that to you.  However, it is better for all concerned, not just us, that personal criticisms are not made part of the dialogue.  I have never personally criticized anyone here until they unload on me.  Then, I do not back away and go after them with all I got as limited by the rules of a website.  I don't intend to continue to have some kind of feud with you, despite the fact that I have nothing but concrete between my ears.  So, I'll back off in making things personal with you, but I won't back off in criticizing any of the Hawks, and all, when I think it is justified.  If you disagree, you can respond however you wish. 

• Like 1

jacksalmon said on 2 hours ago:

Look, Bob, I know that in any web site like this one some people rub others the wrong way. I know that I do that to you.  However, it is better for all concerned, not just us, that personal criticisms are not made part of the dialogue.  I have never personally criticized anyone here until they unload on me.  Then, I do not back away and go after them with all I got as limited by the rules of a website.  I don't intend to continue to have some kind of feud with you, despite the fact that I have nothing but concrete between my ears.  So, I'll back off in making things personal with you, but I won't back off in criticizing any of the Hawks, and all, when I think it is justified.  If you disagree, you can respond however you wish. 

Nothin' personal what so ever jack and I'll move on as well.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

hsbob said on 10 minutes ago:

Nothin' personal what so ever jack and I'll move on as well.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Good enough for me.  Thanks.  Go Hawks and Jason Heyward. 

• Upvote 1

jacksalmon said on Just now:

Good enough for me.  Thanks.  Go Hawks and Jason Heyward. 

You're drivin' me to drink again tonight jack and I thank you for that!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

hsbob said on Just now:

You're drivin' me to drink again tonight jack and I thank you for that!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Well, hopefully, a little buzz will help you enjoy the victory even more. 

jacksalmon said on Just now:

Well, hopefully, a little buzz will help you enjoy the victory even more. 

What'll help is a few 1st period goals,I'm sure we agree they need to pull their heads outta their asses.

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

• Like 1

Bob, It’s gonna take stiff competition for them to play better as a team, Weak competition enables bad habits. The meaning of life is to reproduce. There is air due to a chemical reaction of Oxygen @21%, Nitrogen @ 78%, and carbon dioxide @ I believe to an extent that they are tuning Q out. Babies come from the baby canon!!!

• Like 1

Big-T said on 22 minutes ago:

Bob, It’s gonna take stiff competition for them to play better as a team, Weak competition enables bad habits. The meaning of life is to reproduce. There is air due to a chemical reaction of Oxygen @21%, Nitrogen @ 78%, and carbon dioxide @ I believe to an extent that they are tuning Q out. Babies come from the baby canon!!!

Why is there air? There's air to blow up basketballs and volleyballs and the tires on my new Demon!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 1

iknowpuck said on 4 hours ago:

^^^ This was fun reading...can you guys keep it going?

Part of me wants them to keep going and part of me wants them to stop.

• Like 1

Puckjim said on 15 hours ago:

He was the team's best defensive defenseman, and the Blackhawks are worse because of the trade.

well we disagree on that......we got connor and jan basically by moving nik...we'll check the stats at the

end of the year.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Big-T said on On 10/25/2017 at 5:17 PM:

If this trend continues, it may be time to accept that the run is over, and they’ll end up being a playoff team until they fade even further. If they really are this bad, then Stan needs to stop chasing the dream, and start finding new homes for these guys and rebuild. I’m not fully convinced yet, but it’ll take a solid 5-7 years to rebuild it properly, but we can get a ton of picks back, and start off on the right foot. Let’s see how this plays out first. Maybe it’s just a bad stretch? I just can’t believe the team is that bad already, I know it’ll happen, but not this fast. I think eventually we will have to change out GM and Coach, they’re clearly not on the same page, and enough is enough, time to put egos to the curb and start fresh!!!

What he said. 

I am not worried, but it is time to realize that certain teams (STL and NSH) found the recipe to beat the Hawks, and now others have picked up on it too. Forecheck them hard, take away time and space, stick on stick D and let them work it around the perimeter all evening. Clog the front of the net with legs, skates and sticks and blow the zone fast and hard on turnovers. At this point in time there doesnt seem to be anyone willing to take a hit, punch or slash for the team as Buff used to, nor is there anyone willing to dish out said punishment for the team as Burish, Versteeg and Shaw would. Everyone seems to think they are Kane, trying to dance and dangle all over the sheet. Toews has been invisible lately, and I have to wonder if missing Hossa is having a bigger effect than forecast.

Not worried yet..lots of hockey left to play. Team just needs to find their identity. (The sooner the better please...)

• Like 1

Something interesting to ponder:    The 'Hawks were very near or at the bottom of the league in hits from 2008-2017.   As I type this they are sitting 14th and only 5 hits out of being top ten in the league.     That's a huge shift in team scheme. 

Biscuit_In_The_Basket said on 2 hours ago:

Something interesting to ponder:    The 'Hawks were very near or at the bottom of the league in hits from 2008-2017.   As I type this they are sitting 14th and only 5 hits out of being top ten in the league.     That's a huge shift in team scheme. 

As far as hitting goes, almost all of that is the result of getting Wingels, Bouma and having Hayden from the start. A more traditional 4th line. That new scheme has worked for them, lots of dirty and gritty play has gotten them some results. What is still missing I believe is actual tactical hitting from the rest of the team, taking the man out and negating a rush, making that play along the boards to separate the puck from man, clearing the slot. Making the other defenseman rush the puck because he knows it's coming. Pinning the man who just moved the puck before he can get around you and back into the play. Not the huge hits that get ooohs from the crowd and media. Witness whoever took out Rutta last night and caused the 1st Avs goal. That sort of thing.  

But I'd like to see more attention to their coverage, no better exemplified then by Vegas the other night. When someone has the puck there are usually only so many options, the Knights were quick to seal those options off by reading the situation and getting there first or a real close second. Not much room to move but it takes work to do it. You get lots of turnovers that way and that means goals. I don't know if the Hawks have the commitment from all their players to do that. I believe any of your highest paid players can't be allowed to be one dimensional anymore. You shouldn't be afraid to have most anyone out there in just about any situation. 

JohnE said on 8 hours ago:

What he said. 

I am not worried, but it is time to realize that certain teams (STL and NSH) found the recipe to beat the Hawks, and now others have picked up on it too. Forecheck them hard, take away time and space, stick on stick D and let them work it around the perimeter all evening. Clog the front of the net with legs, skates and sticks and blow the zone fast and hard on turnovers. At this point in time there doesnt seem to be anyone willing to take a hit, punch or slash for the team as Buff used to, nor is there anyone willing to dish out said punishment for the team as Burish, Versteeg and Shaw would. Everyone seems to think they are Kane, trying to dance and dangle all over the sheet. Toews has been invisible lately, and I have to wonder if missing Hossa is having a bigger effect than forecast.

Not worried yet..lots of hockey left to play. Team just needs to find their identity. (The sooner the better please...)

Good summary of what the other teams are doing to beat the Hawks.  Well put. 

Pitt seems to be having some of the Hawks worries. They’ve allowed 48 goals in 12 games. That’s allowing 4 goals a game, not gonna win a lot like that. However, they pulled out of their funk 2 years ago and rattled off 2 Cups in a row, let’s hioe the Hawks do the same!!!

EDIT: Pens have now allowed 50 goals in 12 games!!!

Edited by Big-T

PuckProphet said on 17 minutes ago:

as much as we worry ......This guy cant sleep nights losing all the time 

DNRcJqEVQAA3hKy.jpg-large.jpeg

And you know that how? 

irmaks said on 2 hours ago:

And you know that how? 

schadenfreude ......

ok ok that was a smart remark  Obviously that is a picture from the playoffs ....

the real answer .....the core loves being the core 

I don't think I'm as worried as Quenneville should be. There is no accountability on this team and that starts from behind the bench.

I keep going back to that Keith turnover against Nashville that put us in the hole and if it was anyone other than Keith or another member of the core, they probably wouldn't have seen the ice for the rest of the period if not game.

Now I know what you're thinking. Well it's Keith, he wears a letter and we have a better chance to win with him on the ice than without. And to me, that's exactly why he should have lost ice time for it. Same thing every time Seabrook decides to stop skating and consequently gets smoked. Send him a message to always keep his feet moving, and set the tone for everyone else. 

• Like 2

Tomc8481 said on 6 hours ago:

I don't think I'm as worried as Quenneville should be. There is no accountability on this team and that starts from behind the bench.

I keep going back to that Keith turnover against Nashville that put us in the hole and if it was anyone other than Keith or another member of the core, they probably wouldn't have seen the ice for the rest of the period if not game.

Now I know what you're thinking. Well it's Keith, he wears a letter and we have a better chance to win with him on the ice than without. And to me, that's exactly why he should have lost ice time for it. Same thing every time Seabrook decides to stop skating and consequently gets smoked. Send him a message to always keep his feet moving, and set the tone for everyone else. 

You are correct. And that’s what a new coach will do, they’ll play whoever gets them a win. So the vets have to step up and keep up or lose ice time. I’m not saying to change the coach, but if accountability isn’t installed, you will get more of what you’re seeing!!!

• Like 2