The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Old_Hawk

Are You Worried Yet?

yooper496 said on Just now:

Like I said right after last night's mighty effort.  Oscar Forking Dansk!

Exactly and they lose to the Wild without Parise and Granlund and the Blues without Fabbri, Bouwmeester and Bergland.  Does this team have a second gear?  Does it care?  They barely beat the pathetic AHL Coyotes and then got embarrassed by the Knights.  How pathetic!!!

jacksalmon said on 2 minutes ago:

Exactly and they lose to the Wild without Parise and Granlund and the Blues without Fabbri, Bouwmeester and Bergland.  Does this team have a second gear?  Does it care?  They barely beat the pathetic AHL Coyotes and then got embarrassed by the Knights.  How pathetic!!!

For whatever reason, VGK are for real right now as evidenced by their gaudy record.  They may fall back to earth eventually, or they may actually grow in their belief of themselves.  To win rather handily with, basically, a nobody in net speaks volumes...for both teams!!

yooper496 said on 1 minute ago:

For whatever reason, VGK are for real right now as evidenced by their gaudy record.  They may fall back to earth eventually, or they may actually grow in their belief of themselves.  To win rather handily with, basically, a nobody in net speaks volumes...for both teams!!

Yep.  It all starts with the effort.  They play a tenacious game and never give up.  As the old saying goes, "you reap what you sow".

Gumby-1 said on 11 minutes ago:

Yep.  It all starts with the effort.  They play a tenacious game and never give up.  As the old saying goes, "you reap what you sow".

Or the other saying, "You reek what you sow (different pronunciation!)".

yooper496 said on 11 hours ago:

What are the even higher ups waiting for then?!  The NM players are not going anywhere because they have a CBA allowing for that security.  Trading Anisimov on 7/1 can't come soon enough for cap purposes, although he is way down on my underperforming list.  Bowman, for as many poor deals that he's responsible for, at least is finally attempting to manage the team with the long term in mind.  (It is too late, tho, to correct everything now.).  That leaves Quenneville if you asked me.  Waiting for season's end is fine unless the ship is righted and a 4th Cup is won.  I don't think this team has been a viable contender for some time, tho, so I honestly do not expect another parade.

Remember though, we all are having knee jerk reactions, I think Stan and co are content just having a good regular season again, and worry about the playoffs when we get there. This team looks eerily similar to last years team, good enough to make it by, but just not good enough to beat teams that try harder. So I think we need to see a bigger sample size. And moves like the ones mentioned above, usually will take place at seasons end, I’m hoping they pull through, but we’ll see!!!

• Like 1

I am worried because before this season only the salary cap was a limitation to this team. The roster was what it was but they were trying hard, except the few floppy games per season.

Now, they seem lost and willingless and the we are doomed crew mojo ie "fire Q, fire(trade) everyone" is taken seriously.

Even by me...

Edited by The_Jhawker

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

Remember though, we all are having knee jerk reactions, I think Stan and co are content just having a good regular season again, and worry about the playoffs when we get there. This team looks eerily similar to last years team, good enough to make it by, but just not good enough to beat teams that try harder. So I think we need to see a bigger sample size. And moves like the ones mentioned above, usually will take place at seasons end, I’m hoping they pull through, but we’ll see!!!

You may be right, T, and such a move would certainly be a more dignified and respectful way to part with JQ.  And yet if the team needs a change for whatever reason soon now, why waste the year?  The Hawks won as recently as 2015 and still should be able to reignite the competitive fire.  All I'm saying is that Pittsburgh was in a similar situation and correctly chose a different path that has led to b2b Cups.  Were they that much better in '15-16 than the Hawks are this season?  I don't necessarily think so.

The_Jhawker said on 47 minutes ago:

I am worried because before this season only the salary cap was a limitation to this team. The roster was what it was but they were trying hard, except the few floppy games per season.

Now, they seem lost and willingless and the we are doomed crew mojo ie "fire Q, fire(trade) everyone" is taken seriously.

Even by me...

I hear you, Jh.  However, when the expectation bar is set so high that only a Stanley Cup will suffice, the two recent failed playoffs and present lackluster compete efforts these past 8 games should cause a great concern for those within and us fans from without.

• Like 1

yooper496 said on 1 hour ago:

You may be right, T, and such a move would certainly be a more dignified and respectful way to part with JQ.  And yet if the team needs a change for whatever reason soon now, why waste the year?  The Hawks won as recently as 2015 and still should be able to reignite the competitive fire.  All I'm saying is that Pittsburgh was in a similar situation and correctly chose a different path that has led to b2b Cups.  Were they that much better in '15-16 than the Hawks are this season?  I don't necessarily think so.

I think management gets changed in the summer, coaches go anytime. I think unless this trends south even worse, Q is safe for the season!!!

• Like 1

many fans think this team is good enough but players look disinterested and w/o motivation.Could be true ... I think in theory responsibility is on coach, GM and team leaders (ie in Seabrook's case "leadership" is more an issue than bonus, because he's not the right guy who could lead by example atm) but I am not sure if it can be fixed easy.In the past core players were young and hungry to win games and SC.But now after couple of years they all are near or after 30, all have 2-3 SC rings and are paid already, have multimillion contracts with NMC.These are the same guys like 5 years ago but circumstances and scene has changed....... So what can save them ... Hawks need Toews/Kane/Seabrook  version 2010/15 - young(er) leader(s)  w/o three rings, career contract and hungry for wins, such leader(s) could wake up and actually lead all others with him.Unfortunately there is no room for such players and fresh wind as SB gave away all those NMC contracts to Hawks Country club members...

• Like 1

I understand and expected the angst over a few poor efforts after last spring's failure but let's see what happens before we back up the truck. Gettin' too high after a few wins or too low after a few stinkers wears this old hockey fan out!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 2

The big problem is not losing of games but the big lack of effort.  The Hawks for the last number of games have not played with any motivation or desire to win.  There is some deeper problem than just the players which ultimately points to the coaching staff.  Are the players unhappy with the coaching staff?  Either Bowman or Wirtz needs to step and talk to the players to find out why they are playing with no motivation and playing way below what they are capable of.

• Like 1

puterwiz52 said on 1 hour ago:

The big problem is not losing of games but the big lack of effort.  The Hawks for the last number of games have not played with any motivation or desire to win.  There is some deeper problem than just the players which ultimately points to the coaching staff.  Are the players unhappy with the coaching staff?  Either Bowman or Wirtz needs to step and talk to the players to find out why they are playing with no motivation and playing way below what they are capable of.

If that were to happen you might as well fire the coach because his credibility with the players will be gone. 

jacksalmon said on 22 hours ago:

I agree, Jack.  The talent seems to be there but what is bolded above is the biggest question for me.

Looks like Nashville series 2.0.

Puckjim said on 5 hours ago:

If that were to happen you might as well fire the coach because his credibility with the players will be gone. 

So true, I like Q...but is it already gone?  For whatever reason(s)?

Puckjim said on 5 hours ago:

It’s not unusual for GMs to speak with their team. However, if there is a problem with the coach(s), I’d like to think the leadership group on the Hawks would head into the office first and express their displeasure, that’s how the Pens did it. They did that with Therien and then with Bylsma. I’m not sure at the moment that the Hawks need a new coach, it’s not even 10 games in yet, but we’ll see!!!

• Like 1

hsbob said on 7 hours ago:

I understand and expected the angst over a few poor efforts after last spring's failure but let's see what happens before we back up the truck. Gettin' too high after a few wins or too low after a few stinkers wears this old hockey fan out!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I think you are right that they deserve a bigger sample size before making concrete judgments.  However, a lot of us are just raising some questions here because of how badly they have often been outplayed and outshot.  That is concerning.  If these games were being evenly played and a lucky or unlucky bounce were determining the outcomes, so be it.  But, that Knight game was an embarrassment, at least to me.  On the other hand, they have a decent record and are not getting beat every game.  Again, it is just the style of their play that seems to be the problem for most posters.  Maybe, though, there is some experimentation going on that mandates that style of play and we don't know about it.  But, getting outhustled does not seem to be a likely experiment. 

Edited by jacksalmon

jacksalmon said on 3 hours ago:

I think you are right that they deserve a bigger sample size before making concrete judgments.  However, a lot of us are just raising some questions here because of how badly they have often been outplayed and outshot.  That is concerning.  If these games were being evenly played and a lucky or unlucky bounce were determining the outcomes, so be it.  But, that Knight game was an embarrassment, at least to me.  On the other hand, they have a decent record and are not getting beat every game.  Again, it is just the style of their play that seems to be the problem for most posters.  Maybe, though, there is some experimentation going on that mandates that style of play and we don't know about it.  But, getting outhustled does not seem to be a likely experiment. 

"They deserve a bigger sample size before making concrete judgements" "however" LOL! Do they deserve a bigger sample size(as you just said yourself) or not? The sample size so far has been big enough for you to refer to the team as pathetic and an embarrassment........concrete? The concrete seems to be between your ears.

Maybe they suck,maybe they don't,I really don't know,what do you think..........I'm just raising questions.....stop it already.

GO HAWKS!!!!!     

• Like 3

Puckjim said on On 10/25/2017 at 11:33 AM:

The defense is worse than it was last year because they don't have their best defensive defenseman anymore.

I'd say that is worth worrying about.

while i loved nik....his play at the blue line and clearing pucks was just not there......

not even 10 games in?

I'm bringing my chicken umbrella to game tommorrow nite just in case...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yooper496 said on On 2017-10-25 at 9:09 PM:

I think the reasoning behind their record is simply this, they don’t know the city yet, and most guys don’t even have a permanent home. So no ones really comfortable, and all they really got is hockey at this point, so they’re really focused. But in Chicago, we have guys very comfortable, and not totally focused anymore, that’s why young teams usually do well, unless they party too many. But a team usually dips once they get too comfy!!!

• Like 1

mtl09 said on 9 hours ago:

while i loved nik....his play at the blue line and clearing pucks was just not there......

He was the team's best defensive defenseman, and the Blackhawks are worse because of the trade.

iknowpuck said on 14 hours ago:

So true, I like Q...but is it already gone?  For whatever reason(s)?

True story: I actually dreamt the Hawks fired Quenneville last night (at the beginning of this year). De ja vu? :o

hsbob said on 13 hours ago:

"They deserve a bigger sample size before making concrete judgements" "however" LOL! Do they deserve a bigger sample size(as you just said yourself) or not? The sample size so far has been big enough for you to refer to the team as pathetic and an embarrassment........concrete? The concrete seems to be between your ears.

Maybe they suck,maybe they don't,I really don't know,what do you think..........I'm just raising questions.....stop it already.

GO HAWKS!!!!!     

Let me straighten you out, Bob.  A team can be pathetic in one game and an embarrassment at the same time without remaining that way for an entire season.  The effort against the Knights was pathetic and embarrassing.  You seem to fail to realize that.  You also seem to unable to realize that it is ok to criticize a team for pathetic efforts. I can also make concrete judgments about a particular game, or a recent style of play without making them about how an entire season will turn out.  For example, I have never said they will not make the playoffs this year, but I have said that their recent play sucks as they are outhustled and outshot game after game.  Teams can turn things around; and contrary to your view, I believe this team needs some turning around. 

I am just raising questions because, unlike you, I don't know what will happen this season.  You know that they are the greatest and will win the Stanley Cup.  I have my doubts and am not afraid to express them.  You can't let yourself express any doubts about this team even when pathetic efforts like those against the Knights, Coyotes and Oilers are put forth. 

In the Knight game thread, near the end, a poster asks if anyone saw/heard Kane's interview at the end of the Knight game in which he said that after the first two games of the year, they realized it was an 82 game season and that they could not play at that pace the whole season.  Besides being one of the most bizarre statements I have heard, just when does the team expect to pick up the pace of play again?  Mid-season?  At the 65 game mark?  When they are pushed to make the playoffs?  Not until the playoffs?  So, they are being paid big money not to put out their max effort to win games? Are the Knights and the Lightning doomed to failure because they are playing hard early in the season? 

Sorry about all the questions.  I know you like firm answers and only one of them.  This is the greatest hockey team ever assembled and last year did not happen. 

Edited by jacksalmon