The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Old_Hawk

Are You Worried Yet?

If you take out the Hawks two first games, in which they looked very good, they have performed very mediocre, at best. In almost every game they are outshot, outhustled and generally outplayed. If not for the goalies (despite Crow's gaff against Edmonton, the goalies have played very well, as Crow's save percentage would indicate), the record would likely be worse.. I can't point to anything specific yet, other than the useless power play, but if they keep playing like they are, they'll soon be chasing a playoff spot instead of solidifying one.

• Like 5

Interesting topic as the season is so young.  It has been said tho, teams can put themselves out early in the year with poor play.  I am not at that point quite yet with this year's version but do have concerns that this group as a whole has trouble performing on a nightly basis.  I am wondering if we may see big changes by mid December, ala Pittsburgh 2015.  

The defense is worse than it was last year because they don't have their best defensive defenseman anymore.

I'd say that is worth worrying about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I see arrogance creeping back in after the first 2 games like they have that light switch thing again. The first 2 games we seen what those bigger more physical additions were all about but it's gone now and they went to finesse play. Getting too fancy with the passing which has been abysmal at best. Going back to perimeter play and not using the middle. D looking slow and sloppy. What started as promising is starting to slowly fade away. I get it was a pretty brutal schedule to start but that is no excuse for getting away from the play of the first 2 games.

• Like 2

Worried may be a stretch. I'm more disappointed than anything in the lack of effort the last few games, although, in this very limited sample size, the Hawks look like the Hawks of last year: a bi-polar team you're hoping to see "turn it on" on a consistent basis. The PK has improved, which is great, but there are still way too many projects in the lineup (much like last year). Hayden, Debrincat, Schmaltz -- they've all shown flashes, but nothing consistent yet. Same with the D. There are too many "variable" players and we can only hope that the majority of them become "consistently solid" players -- too early to say that still for all of them. The holes have yet to be filled. The silver lining is that it's "still early," but the creeping worry is that, you can't say that forever.

Edited by Granada

I'm definitely disappointed and worried. Since their first two games, they've been dominated by every team.  It's Nashville over and over again.

The majority of the players seem to be just holding on and waiting for good things to happen, instead of making it happen as they have in the past.

If there's no change in strategy and motivation soon, this team will struggle to even make the playoffs.

• Like 1

Until this team's top six can figure out how to score consistently and on the PP, the Hawks will struggle.  Like zhamnov just said, it is the first round against Nashville all over again.  If you can't score, you won't win most nights!

• Like 1

They are not playing well, either offensively or defensively. It's hard to say whether they are capable of righting their play or the problems are more endemic. I would say the bigger worry is that they can't get out of their zone; they get hemmed in and top offensive players spend their time in the defensive end. Really, other than the both goalies, they are not playing well. 

Puckjim said on 2 hours ago:

The defense is worse than it was last year because they don't have their best defensive defenseman anymore.

I'd say that is worth worrying about.

Having their best defensive defenseman did not help the Hawks early last season when they had the worst PK in league's history for the first 10-15 games.  It did not help them in getting swept by the Preds and losing in the first round for the second year in a row.  And having Nik Hjalmarsson has not helped Arizona at all so far this season.  We all get that you hate the trade, and cannot see any good from it.  I imagine a lot of us here feel the same way in his departure.  But Hjalmarsson is gone, get over it!  While Murphy hasn't lived up to expectations thus far, Jan Rutta has started to prove his worth in the top 3 opening quite nicely.  Trouble is, anchor Seabrook is counted on for more than he is capable of delivering defensively.  In a perfect world (you know, one without full NMC!), a different move may have been better.

This team's downfall is lack of consistent offense of which Hjalmarsson contributed very little in as far as production went.  He did his job well and is missed in numerous ways.  And yet, if the team can't score as a whole, they simply will not win most nights.  The Hawks have not won in two years, were lucky to win in '15 and were dominated down the middle in '14 against the Kings.  In other words, time/cap has caught up with them and other teams have passed right by.  Having Nik Hjalmarsson is a mute point as far as what I've seen lately.

Am I worried right now?  Believe it or not, no.  It may amount to sleeping on the bed they made collectively and that is okay.  Or, again like Pittsburgh in mid '15-16, a brand new direction is in order and the Hawks can truly be revitalized for a long run.  

• Like 1

Since first two games:

Positives:

Goaltending (over-all)

PK

Faceoffs (o.k.)

It's still early and very veteran core teams in a league of speed may feel the need to "rest" too much until it's really necessary (a la 2012,2014 LA Kings).

4th Line

Negatives:

PP (perhaps the worst I've seen in the NHL)

5-on-5 Offense

Getting outshot like it's a religious wanton desire

5-on-5 Defense (especially clearing the puck and bringing the puck up ice)

4th Line is "best" too often.  It should regularly be, well, 4th.

Coaching

Speed is non-existent

Passing has been awful (which can effect speed as in not leading the "passee")

Again, no net front presence.

Apart from the above, I tend to be a very intuitive observer.  I'm more "big picture."  I know what I'm seeing is not what I've seen.  There are legitimate issues that could be attached to coaching, stubbornness, "resting" 'until it matters,' the rest of the league has gotten faster, the rest of the league knows how to stop us (but we no longer have the speed/skill dominance to overcome this?), and so on.

I would say I am worried, but remain hopeful.  The worried part is steeped in the "closing window" angle.   I do however think that it might be Q's time as in "someone has to take the hit," but in his case it should be done very respectfully and professionally if and when that time should come (which could be soon).

Edited by GigECJ

What worries me most is how obvious it is that they get out worked almost every single shift and do nothing to change that fact.  This is how last season ended and the reason Stan made the changes to get faster and harder to play against.  Honestly, they all look like their dog just died and they can't seem to get motivated.

I get it if 2 or 3 guys are in a funk and need a boot in the butt or a seat in the press box.  But when you have 20 guys in a funk every game, me thinks the problem runs deeper than we care to believe.

• Like 1

yooper496 said on 1 hour ago:

Having their best defensive defenseman did not help the Hawks early last season when they had the worst PK in league's history for the first 10-15 games.  It did not help them in getting swept by the Preds and losing in the first round for the second year in a row.  And having Nik Hjalmarsson has not helped Arizona at all so far this season.  We all get that you hate the trade, and cannot see any good from it.  I imagine a lot of us here feel the same way in his departure.  But Hjalmarsson is gone, get over it!  While Murphy hasn't lived up to expectations thus far, Jan Rutta has started to prove his worth in the top 3 opening quite nicely.  Trouble is, anchor Seabrook is counted on for more than he is capable of delivering defensively.  In a perfect world (you know, one without full NMC!), a different move may have been better.

This team's downfall is lack of consistent offense of which Hjalmarsson contributed very little in as far as production went.  He did his job well and is missed in numerous ways.  And yet, if the team can't score as a whole, they simply will not win most nights.  The Hawks have not won in two years, were lucky to win in '15 and were dominated down the middle in '14 against the Kings.  In other words, time/cap has caught up with them and other teams have passed right by.  Having Nik Hjalmarsson is a mute point as far as what I've seen lately.

Am I worried right now?  Believe it or not, no.  It may amount to sleeping on the bed they made collectively and that is okay.  Or, again like Pittsburgh in mid '15-16, a brand new direction is in order and the Hawks can truly be revitalized for a long run.  

Their defense is a horrid mess that shows zero signs of improvement.

Corey Crawford has been the MVP and it's not even close.

The worry is not the lack of Niklas Hjalmarsson. It's that the person responsible for fixing this defensive mess is the person that helped create it.

Edited by Puckjim
  • Like 2

no. 

worried seems like too strong of a word. this team has a fair amount of talent. some changes need to be made, but all is far from lost. 

• Like 1

Puckjim said on 1 hour ago:

Their defense is a horrid mess that shows zero signs of improvement.

Corey Crawford has been the MVP and it's not even close.

The worry is not the lack of Niklas Hjalmarsson. It's that the person responsible for fixing this defensive mess is the person that helped create it.

And person presumably is Stan Bowman, correct?

yooper496 said on 4 minutes ago:

And person presumably is Stan Bowman, correct?

Scotty, because he brought him into the world.  JK

• Like 2

When you say worried, what is there to worry about?  You don't believe they're cup contenders?  Right?.  Nor are they built to go deep in the playoffs.  1st or 2nd round exit like last year or slightly better if they get the right match up.  Same weaknesses.  No powerplay, which is mind blowing In this day and age.  And no 'Real' physicality.

GigECJ said on 2 hours ago:

Since first two games:

Positives:

Goaltending (over-all)

PK

Faceoffs (o.k.)

It's still early and very veteran core teams in a league of speed may feel the need to "rest" too much until it's really necessary (a la 2012,2014 LA Kings).

4th Line

Negatives:

5-on-5 Offense

Coaching

Speed is non-existent

Apart from the above, I tend to be a very intuitive observer.  I'm more "big picture."  I know what I'm seeing is not what I've seen.  There are legitimate issues that could be attached to coaching, stubbornness, "resting" 'until it matters,' the rest of the league has gotten faster, the rest of the league knows how to stop us (but we no longer have the speed/skill dominance to overcome this?), and so on.

I would say I am worried, but remain hopeful.  The worried part is steeped in the "closing window" angle.   I do however think that it might be Q's time as in "someone has to take the hit," but in his case it should be done very respectfully and professionally if and when that time should come (which could be soon).

Hey, Gig.  Coaches are hired to to be fired or let go unless one is Bob Johnson.  Craig Buttons has a podcast on TSN now that has to do with making changes saying it isn't a good idea to change things when times are tough.  I think he is referencing Montreal in his piece.  (I have not watched the video, only saw the title).  It got me to think of when Mike Sullivan was promoted on 12/12/15 to the Pen's HC position.  He took over a 15-10-3 team that had not won the Cup since 2009.  I do not recall all of their circumstances but that team was compelled to make the change because, despite a winning record, they were still underperforming to their capabilities.  Sounds familiar.  

Who knows what the future holds for Quenneville or who a possible successor may be.  His seat is warming up, tho, with each lackluster performance his players put forth.  Cup or cut if not in season is my gut feeling for Q.

If this trend continues, it may be time to accept that the run is over, and they’ll end up being a playoff team until they fade even further. If they really are this bad, then Stan needs to stop chasing the dream, and start finding new homes for these guys and rebuild. I’m not fully convinced yet, but it’ll take a solid 5-7 years to rebuild it properly, but we can get a ton of picks back, and start off on the right foot. Let’s see how this plays out first. Maybe it’s just a bad stretch? I just can’t believe the team is that bad already, I know it’ll happen, but not this fast. I think eventually we will have to change out GM and Coach, they’re clearly not on the same page, and enough is enough, time to put egos to the curb and start fresh!!!

Edited by Big-T
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm not worried. Three Cups since '10 has taken care of worried.

Disappointed is the word. Disappointed that for whatever the reason/s, the run may be over. It seems like it was only this past spring that I went into work for the first time in my life wearing my Hawks jersey because they were the champs. 

Disappointed as well at quickly it seemed to fall apart. The loss to St. Louis in the first round in '16 at least went 7 games. Then last year it looked like they bounced back...until the 7-0 Fiasco In Florida. Other than the two games to start this season, the team just has looked...."not Hawks-like" since that game. We talk about flipping the switch; I guess that can switch off, too, because it sure seems like the team that I felt pretty much always had a chance to win every game since the 0-5 comeback vs. Calgary disappeared as quickly as turning off the lights. 

It's early in the year, of course, but if games like last night keep piling up, it will be clear that it's not 2013 anymore.

• Like 1

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

If this trend continues, it may be time to accept that the run is over, and they’ll end up being a playoff team until they fade even further. If they really are this bad, then Stan needs to stop chasing the dream, and start finding new homes for these guys and rebuild. I’m not fully convinced yet, but it’ll take a solid 5-7 years to rebuild it properly, but we can get a ton of picks back, and start off on the right foot. Let’s see how this plays out first. Maybe it’s just a bad stretch? I just can’t believe the team is that bad already, I know it’ll happen, but not this fast. I think eventually we will have to change out GM and Coach, they’re clearly not on the same page, and enough is enough, time to put egos to the curb and start fresh!!!

What are the even higher ups waiting for then?!  The NM players are not going anywhere because they have a CBA allowing for that security.  Trading Anisimov on 7/1 can't come soon enough for cap purposes, although he is way down on my underperforming list.  Bowman, for as many poor deals that he's responsible for, at least is finally attempting to manage the team with the long term in mind.  (It is too late, tho, to correct everything now.).  That leaves Quenneville if you asked me.  Waiting for season's end is fine unless the ship is righted and a 4th Cup is won.  I don't think this team has been a viable contender for some time, tho, so I honestly do not expect another parade.

GigECJ said on 4 hours ago:

Since first two games:

Positives:

Goaltending (over-all)

PK

Faceoffs (o.k.)

4th Line

Negatives:

5-on-5 Offense

Coaching

Speed is non-existent

Not even one month into the season and they are resting for the playoffs?  If true, who the hell do they think they are?  The league is passing them by as they rest, or whatever it is that they are doing.  

• Like 1

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

As I have said before, they may be the new Detroit Red Wings.  Probably too early to be sure of that, but they sure look like a once great team that is fading into oblivion.  Do they not have any pride to teach the expansion team a lesson; or were they too hungover to even care what happened? 

Edited by jacksalmon

jacksalmon said on 3 minutes ago:

As I have said before, they may be the new Detroit Red Wings.  Probably too early to be sure of that, but they sure look like a once great team that is fading into oblivion.  Do they not have any pride to teach the expansion team a lesson; or were they too hungover to even care what happened? 

Like I said right after last night's mighty effort.  Oscar Forking Dansk!