The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Madrose

10/24 Hawks vs Knights

hsbob said on 27 minutes ago:

That's a shame G and I'm a 2nd amendment supporter. There is however legislation on the hill attempting to deregulate silencers,if the LV shooter was so equipped,he may not have been located for hours.......imagine THAT!

GO HAWKS!!!!!  

Of course. Pathetic how the NRA owns congress.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

hsbob said on 1 minute ago:

No problem yoop. I know you like to inject a little levity every chance you get but comedic license has it's limits my friend.

Now how's that thumb doin'?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

You bet, bud, my bad!  

So so (not the ball player!). However, I may have opportunity to go back to work next week, be it light duty or on a different grader where I won't have to use my thumb as much.  Thanks for asking anyways, bob.

yooper496 said on Just now:

You bet, bud, my bad!  

So so (not the ball player!). However, I may have opportunity to go back to work next week, be it light duty or on a different grader where I won't have to use my thumb as much.  Thanks for asking anyways, bob.

Best of luck with the recovery and let's hope it doesn't affect your riggin' and jiggin'!LOL!

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

• Like 1

Granada said on 4 minutes ago:

Of course. Pathetic how the NRA owns congress.

Three million people should never dictate policy for the other three hundred and twenty million,no matter the issue. I'm all for the protection of life,limb and even property but it boils my blood when first responders become little more than sitting ducks!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 2

hawks27 said on 35 minutes ago:

Here's the thing:  Some of the core players on the Hawks no longer possess their ability to perform at the levels to which we have become accustomed.  As we all age, we don't like to admit that all good things must come to an end sometime.  In the case of professional sports teams, as a successful team "ages" (as the Hawks have), they may not be able to do like they have so many years.  I remember when Keith would always seem to beat forecheckers to pucks that were dumped in.  Toews used to be something to watch when he was attacking an opponent's d-man.  I hate to say it, but maybe the Hawks' "glory years" have eroded and are done. 

Whatever the case for the team's present situation, I feel it is the coaches' responsibility to utilize the talent they do still have in a way that gives them the best opportunity to be successful. That is, and always has been, the job of the coaches.  When you no longer have the luxury of just opening the door and letting the boys go do their thing on the ice, you have to make adjustments.

We probably all need to remember that in the past decade, the Hawks have provided us with many games of enjoyment and success beyond many teams' fans wildest dreams.  It's just a fact of life......."time waits for no one."

It is a possibility that the glory years may be over, not only for the team, but also for the individual "stars".  We don't really know.  They could well have some gas in their tanks yet.  But, regardless of that, there is something wrong with the team as a whole right now.  While it is true that they have a decent record, we all have come to expect more of them than just having a decent record.  The way they have been playing does not match our expectations of what we believe they are capable of achieving.  I don't give a damn what anyone says-----losing to an expansion team, regardless of how well they have been playing, is a real indication of the fact that something is wrong with the Hawks.  All these stars who do virtually nothing against the Castoff Knights is an indictment of the system or the current talent level of the team, including any depreciation in skills of the core. 

I guess they could turn it around and start playing better hockey.  Many posters here have made suggestions.  I guess we'll  see what the coaching staff and the players themselves come up with.  If either of them are currently worth much, I would expect a completely different effort against the Preds tomorrow.  If we don't see that, then the problems are deeper than I think. 

hsbob said on 29 minutes ago:

Could just be a couple of stinkers too but I'll tell ya this................John Hayden wants to play and I'd have him in the top six AND on the PP startin' today at practice! If guys like Wingels and Bouma continue to bust their asses,I might move them up for a while too.

Hartman used to be the hammer but he's been the nail lately and I don't get that. Richard Panik is far from one of the team's problems but I recall him being a more aggressive fore-checker also.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Agree on all points.  Panik, In game 2 against Columbus, flew down the wing and knocked Jones off the puck behind the net, leaving the puck for Saad, nice feed to Toews and bingo!  That's the effort I'd like to see more of across the board.

• Like 4

jacksalmon said on 19 hours ago:

I remember a couple of years ago when the most frequent comment by Foley during a PP was:

"Keith shoots and he misses the net".

That has not changed one bit, so why does Q continue to use him there with his frequent misses.  It is beyond me. 

I hate to say it but I think we still see Keith on the PP because Q wants to help Keith get points on the PP so he can stay in contention for the Norris. Now, Keith is good at just about everything you would want on the PP except he shot is sub-par. He can't generate NHL quality velocity without the big windup and then when he does that he loses accuracy and the slowness of the windup gives opponents time to react and block the shot, or if he goes with the quicker wrist shot it has below average velocity and couldn't break a pane of glass let alone overpower a goalie. The problem then becomes the opponent doesn't fear his shot so they take away his pass options and dare him to attempt a shot, which he usually does which results with a block and a clear. If Keith is going to be kept on the PP - they need a different approach where it doesn't end up with Keith taking a long range shot.

EbonyRaptor said on 19 minutes ago:

I hate to say it but I think we still see Keith on the PP because Q wants to help Keith get points on the PP so he can stay in contention for the Norris. Now, Keith is good at just about everything you would want on the PP except he shot is sub-par. He can't generate NHL quality velocity without the big windup and then when he does that he loses accuracy and the slowness of the windup gives opponents time to react and block the shot, or if he goes with the quicker wrist shot it has below average velocity and couldn't break a pane of glass let alone overpower a goalie. The problem then becomes the opponent doesn't fear his shot so they take away his pass options and dare him to attempt a shot, which he usually does which results with a block and a clear. If Keith is going to be kept on the PP - they need a different approach where it doesn't end up with Keith taking a long range shot.

Strongly doubt it. It's simply because he's the best option back there and our number 1 defenseman who has decent speed (in case he needs cover).

Also, Burish said on one of the pre-games I saw that Quenneville tells the D-men to slap-shot it from the point no matter what; it's one of his main beliefs. He tells them this because a slap shot creates confusion on the PP for the opposition (particularly the skaters), as opposed to a controlled wrist shot on goal. I get frustrated when our D-men (and it isn't just DK that has this problem, but all of them) misses the net from the point too, but many times, they are deliberately trying to miss the net for the puck to reflect off the back boards and cause chaos on the PP, as evidenced by Quennevilles penchant for slap shots and how ridiculously off-target the D-men always seem to be. Keith also loves the slap pass and loves deflections, because the shooting lanes are never there. In other words, yes, he misses the net and I'm not justifying him for that, but there's more to it than him simply missing the net.

• Like 1

Granada said on 4 hours ago:

Strongly doubt it. It's simply because he's the best option back there and our number 1 defenseman who has decent speed (in case he needs cover).

Also, Burish said on one of the pre-games I saw that Quenneville tells the D-men to slap-shot it from the point no matter what; it's one of his main beliefs. He tells them this because a slap shot creates confusion on the PP for the opposition (particularly the skaters), as opposed to a controlled wrist shot on goal. I get frustrated when our D-men (and it isn't just DK that has this problem, but all of them) misses the net from the point too, but many times, they are deliberately trying to miss the net for the puck to reflect off the back boards and cause chaos on the PP, as evidenced by Quennevilles penchant for slap shots and how ridiculously off-target the D-men always seem to be. Keith also loves the slap pass and loves deflections, because the shooting lanes are never there. In other words, yes, he misses the net and I'm not justifying him for that, but there's more to it than him simply missing the net.

Maybe, but as I think about missing the net from the point to get a reflection off the back boards, it seems to me that the reflection would rarely come out front of the goalie, but is more likely to hit the back of the net; or if, more or less straight from the point into the boards, it will come out so that a dman will get first crack at it before it gets out front.  I can't believe that rather than put the puck on net, it would be Q's strategy to put the reflection into his plans for scoring on the PP.  I think he would be better to study some film of other team's successful PP and just copy it as he and his staff are obviously incapable of designing their own effective PP. 

i'm all for going for deflections, but the hawks been pretty average at according to the stats.

since the 2009/10 season, we've managed 46 deflected goals whereas the top team (canucks) have 116 over the same time period.

granted, not all of these are point shots, but it gives you an idea just the same.

i'm not against trying, just throwing this out there.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate=1&gameType=2&report=shottype&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20092010&seasonTo=20172018&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=goalsDeflected

• Upvote 1

jacksalmon said on 12 hours ago:

Maybe, but as I think about missing the net from the point to get a reflection off the back boards, it seems to me that the reflection would rarely come out front of the goalie, but is more likely to hit the back of the net; or if, more or less straight from the point into the boards, it will come out so that a dman will get first crack at it before it gets out front.  I can't believe that rather than put the puck on net, it would be Q's strategy to put the reflection into his plans for scoring on the PP.  I think he would be better to study some film of other team's successful PP and just copy it as he and his staff are obviously incapable of designing their own effective PP. 

That's what Burish said. It's the pinball effect, and it gets the PK'ers scrambling, which opens up shooting lanes -- assuming a Hawk can get control of the puck after the reflection.

hsbob said on 20 hours ago:

Three million people should never dictate policy for the other three hundred and twenty million,no matter the issue. I'm all for the protection of life,limb and even property but it boils my blood when first responders become little more than sitting ducks!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

The bump stock ban couldn't even pass the Illinois House. Sad -- something that should be a no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

Anyone listen to Kane's vid, after the knights game, to the effect how they came out flying, first few games, excited about playing First game of hockey, and after, they realized they have 82 games, and couldn't keep up that pace,  ? what do we read into that last statement ?

Granada said on 18 hours ago:

Maybe you're right - I hope so. I did say Keith does everything else on the PP well - just that pop gun shot is frustrating. The point I was also trying to make is that the Hawks PP must try something else (true statement regardless of the Keith shot problem) because too often it ends up with Keith taking the shot, and too often because of the perimeter pass game there isn't someone in front of the net in the odd chance Keith's shot actually gets there. Their PP is anemic and having Keith shooting from the point isn't going to help.

B-A-Hawk said on 1 hour ago:

Anyone listen to Kane's vid, after the knights game, to the effect how they came out flying, first few games, excited about playing First game of hockey, and after, they realized they have 82 games, and couldn't keep up that pace,  ? what do we read into that last statement ?

So, after realizing it is an 82 game season, they just decided to squelch the energy?  Did they instead opt for a style of game in which the opponent outshoots and outhustles them almost every game?  Maybe someone in the braintrust spent the very long offseason watching Ali's Rope-a-Dope strategy against George Foreman.  They have decided to copy that and plan on coming out with full force energy in the playoffs.  How did that work out for them last time they were in the playoffs?  If they can't answer the question, then go ask the Preds.  They will have an answer.  Kane's comment is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard from an athlete. By the way, did he tell the interviewer when they expect to resume playing hockey like they did in the first two games? 

Edited by jacksalmon
  • Like 1

jacksalmon said on 3 hours ago:

So, after realizing it is an 82 game season, they just decided to squelch the energy?  Did they instead opt for a style of game in which the opponent outshoots and outhustles them almost every game?  Maybe someone in the braintrust spent the very long offseason watching Ali's Rope-a-Dope strategy against George Foreman.  They have decided to copy that and plan on coming out with full force energy in the playoffs.  How did that work out for them last time they were in the playoffs?  If they can't answer the question, then go ask the Preds.  They will have an answer.  Kane's comment is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard from an athlete. By the way, did he tell the interviewer when they expect to resume playing hockey like they did in the first two games? 

The vid is Kane on line changes, near the end he states that, about sustaining, I think hopefully tonight