Madrose

10/19 Hawks vs Oilers

galaxytrash said on 50 minutes ago:

i totally agree.   :P

I totally agree.

• Like 2

irmaks said on 4 minutes ago:

Well, never know if you don't try, but I have a feeling that could work 

Its October, Q should try it.Also he should try Kampf instead of Anisimov in 3L, Hino is there ready too, why not.

GigECJ said on 15 hours ago:

I totally agree apart from CC for 6 million which, at the time, was likely too much, but seems reasonable today.  I do think that the ways and means of the current NHL requires the top notch goalie a little less than at one time so long as that difference is replaced with adept skaters. For instance, Carey Price may be "worth" the money paid to Toews and Kane, but in my opinion that extra money for a goalie should be placed on skaters not on one goalie.  Montreal basically gave up a legit chance at a Cup when they made that decision.

In a world of escalating salaries, that seems like a good formula for a long term contract.

Edited by EbonyRaptor

GigECJ said on 16 hours ago:

I totally agree apart from CC for 6 million which, at the time, was likely too much, but seems reasonable today.  I do think that the ways and means of the current NHL requires the top notch goalie a little less than at one time so long as that difference is replaced with adept skaters. For instance, Carey Price may be "worth" the money paid to Toews and Kane, but in my opinion that extra money for a goalie should be placed on skaters not on one goalie.  Montreal basically gave up a legit chance at a Cup when they made that decision.

It is beginning to look like paying the really big money to a few players is not paying off so well.  The Pens don't have that problem since they kept Crosby and Malkin at top level salaries when they were "reasonable".  The Hawks did not fare so well by paying off Toews and Kane.  Edmonton and Buffalo will learn their lessons.  Edmonton looks like crap already and the McDavid contract has not yet kicked in, although he looks very good.  That move he put on Keith and Seabrook the other night to set up their first goal should have even pleased Hawk fans, if they can value beautiful moves.  Haven't seen Keith undressed like that for awhile.  Seabrook had no idea the move was coming or he would have been preventing Maroon from scoring. 

I'm still arguing with Edmonton fans about the Kassian hit, most of them say Hartman looked at Kass and turned his back on him and it was a clean hit. They're some of the most oblivious bias fans. They also say that's the Hawks style, turn their backs and try to draw penalties. 

One thing I noticed about the Oilers is that they're a lot like their former GM and head coaches teams, dirty. They hit with their arms up and don't hold up when they see the other teams numbers. 

jacksalmon said on On 10/21/2017 at 11:44 AM:

It is beginning to look like paying the really big money to a few players is not paying off so well.  The Pens don't have that problem since they kept Crosby and Malkin at top level salaries when they were "reasonable".  The Hawks did not fare so well by paying off Toews and Kane.  Edmonton and Buffalo will learn their lessons.  Edmonton looks like crap already and the McDavid contract has not yet kicked in, although he looks very good.  That move he put on Keith and Seabrook the other night to set up their first goal should have even pleased Hawk fans, if they can value beautiful moves.  Haven't seen Keith undressed like that for awhile.  Seabrook had no idea the move was coming or he would have been preventing Maroon from scoring. 

To add to the previous discussion you all were having, Montreal may have buyer's remorse already even tho Price's monster deal hasn't kicked in yet.  They are terrible right now and have a few really bad contracts for several more years in addition to Fort Knox for Carey.  I highly doubt they will be relavent for the next decade or more!

yooper496 said on 7 minutes ago:

To add to the previous discussion you all were having, Montreal may have buyer's remorse already even tho Price's monster deal hasn't kicked in yet.  They are terrible right now and have a few really bad contracts for several more years in addition to Fort Knox for Carey.  I highly doubt they will be relavent for the next decade or more!

Yes, that is just another example of how paying out big money to one or two players and having nothing left to build the support staff can backfire quickly.  Given the nature of the game, it is a tough call for the GMs though to dump their stars so they can build up a team that is evenly talented from top to bottom.  On the other hand, it is tough when they keep their stars at inflated salaries to build up the support. 

I doubt that the Pens would have won back to back Cups without Crosby and Malkin.  The Pens were a special case,  They got Crosby and Malkin at salaries that gave them some extra money for support.   In addition, they were either lucky,; or very skillful in getting players to provide good support and a coach to build a system for winning, or both.  Crosby and Malkin could not do it alone.  Just ask Toews and Kane.

I also think the Hawks were a special case that was able to draft great players for several years and build up that core.   It is not too often where guys like Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Toews and Crawford come along for a team that has sucked for many years.  The problem is that they get old and their production fades. When they burden the team with their salaries, it is hard to replace their waning production with new skilled players.  But, such is the fate of the modern NHL teams with the salary cap. 

Yeah, as the cap rises salaries like Toews and Kane's will be more manageable.  As has been discussed on these boards for a long time, giving a mega contract to the goalie, no matter how good the guy might be, just doesn't seem to be the best way to spend cap $$.

yooper496 said on 3 hours ago:

Yeah, as the cap rises salaries like Toews and Kane's will be more manageable.  As has been discussed on these boards for a long time, giving a mega contract to the goalie, no matter how good the guy might be, just doesn't seem to be the best way to spend cap $$.

Agreed, but as the cap rises, the output of Toews and Kane will fall off.  Hopefully, they will be able to buy some players with the extra cap money to make up for the loss of production from those two.