The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Madrose

10/19 Hawks vs Oilers

Thanks for your diligence, madrose!  Go Hawks, from the opening puck drop to the final whistle!

• Like 2

The Oilers are the last team I want to face right now after a couple bad outings; they always play us incredibly tough. Hawks better get their heads out of their aces from the word "go" or this could get ugly. No excuses (too many days off; back-to-back, etc.).

• Like 2

Kero and Franson should be back in the lineup, Seabrook and Wingels in the pressbox.It's only October so I would also like to see play Kampf instead of Handzus Anisimov and Hino instead of Bouma.

• Like 2

I see a fast, hungry Oiler team and an apathetic Hawk team right now.  Unless that changes, all I can see is another Hawks loss.

Not to mention names, but Kane's name hasn't been mentioned enough in the last couple broadcasts. That needs to change.

What Hawks team will show up tonight? The team that wacked the Pens, or the team that floats through the first 2 periods?

• Like 1

blackmore said on 25 minutes ago:

I see a fast, hungry Oiler team and an apathetic Hawk team right now.  Unless that changes, all I can see is another Hawks loss.

Not to mention names, but Kane's name hasn't been mentioned enough in the last couple broadcasts. That needs to change.

What Hawks team will show up tonight? The team that wacked the Pens, or the team that floats through the first 2 periods?

I agree with your assessment of the Hawks in your first sentence.  But, why after being demolished by the Preds in the playoffs last year and with the success of the "new team" in the first two games, would this bunch turn apathetic?  Is the fire really all gone?  Kane hasn't shown up since the first two games.  He had the Schmaltz excuse, which many were using here to explain how one guy is responsible for the Hawks being outplayed and outshot during his absence.  Well, last night proved that that excuse doesn't hold water.  I don't know what is wrong with Kane, but he could bounce back someday.  Why not tonight? 

From what I saw last night with my limited knowledge of how the game is supposed to played, the Hawks cannot pass well enough to get out of their own end and to stay in the other team's end.  So, the other team gets the puck constantly and hammers Crawford to a pulp.  That is no way to win games.  That is a formula for getting smacked. 

Not sure why but the difference between the first 2 games to the last few games can be summed up in one word :  PACE - they had it in the first two games but haven't had much of it since.  Today's game is fast and you have to keep moving.  The Hawks spend too much time standing still or moving slowly which makes them very vulnerable to the speed of the opposition.

We know they are capable of playing a quicker game but for some reason they do not.  I say It's time for Q to channel his inner Joe Riggins and throw some sticks around the room and give them hockey's version of the "Lollygag" speech.

Edited by Gumby-1

jacksalmon said on 4 minutes ago:

I agree with your assessment of the Hawks in your first sentence.  But, why after being demolished by the Preds in the playoffs last year and with the success of the "new team" in the first two games, would this bunch turn apathetic?  Is the fire really all gone?  Kane hasn't shown up since the first two games.  He had the Schmaltz excuse, which many were using here to explain how one guy is responsible for the Hawks being outplayed and outshot during his absence.  Well, last night proved that that excuse doesn't hold water.  I don't know what is wrong with Kane, but he could bounce back someday.  Why not tonight? 

From what I saw last night with my limited knowledge of how the game is supposed to played, the Hawks cannot pass well enough to get out of their own end and to stay in the other team's end.  So, the other team gets the puck constantly and hammers Crawford to a pulp.  That is no way to win games.  That is a formula for getting smacked. 

To me they've just seemed kinda lethargic the last couple games. I have no idea why. The first 2 or 3 games they just looked focused and excited, the last couple games they seemed to lack any energy or drive. It was noticeable in their body language on the bench and on the ice. Last night I could tell from the start that they just didn't have "it", and less than 5 minutes in I said, "the Hawks will lose this game".  They need some Fire and Desire right now, some intensity, or they'll be looking at the back of McDavid all night as he blows by them.

The last couple years the Hawks have struggled against fast teams, this will be a good test to see if this season will be any different.

blackmore said on 9 minutes ago:

To me they've just seemed kinda lethargic the last couple games. I have no idea why. The first 2 or 3 games they just looked focused and excited, the last couple games they seemed to lack any energy or drive. It was noticeable in their body language on the bench and on the ice. Last night I could tell from the start that they just didn't have "it", and less than 5 minutes in I said, "the Hawks will lose this game".  They need some Fire and Desire right now, some intensity, or they'll be looking at the back of McDavid all night as he blows by them.

The last couple years the Hawks have struggled against fast teams, this will be a good test to see if this season will be any different.

Here is a quote from Jaden Schwartz on how the Blues beat the Hawks:

"I think we did a good job of taking away their time and space," Schwartz said. "They have a lot of skilled players and you don't want to give them a whole lot of time and at the same time I thought we did a good job of hemming them in their zone and creating chances that way."

So, maybe what these teams are doing is moving their players up to keep the weak passing Hawks from being able to get out of their own end.  Since the Hawks are apparently unable to clear their own zone except by icing or the rare pass out, the play ends up in the Hawk d zone and that spells disaster, unless Crawford keeps bailing them out. 

• Like 1

It is possible that the first two games were anomalies, and the Hawks are just not that good, save for a handful of players. It is also possible that they have just hit a rough patch the last 3 games; their passes don't click; they get hemmed in in their zone, etc. I hope that it's the latter. And I hope that Kane will shake off whatever that fog is, in which he's lost.

With the way the Hawks have been playing I have a bad feeling about this game, 5-1 Oilers and 40+ shots against, hope I'm wrong. 

OldTimeHawky said on 1 hour ago:

With the way the Hawks have been playing I have a bad feeling about this game, 5-1 Oilers and 40+ shots against, hope I'm wrong. 

Well, OTH, at least Sam Gagner won't be out there anyway...

yooper496 said on 20 minutes ago:

Well, OTH, at least Sam Gagner won't be out there anyway...

That didn't stop the Blues from doing pretty well without Fabbri, Bergland and Bowmeester.  Still can't understand how they dominated so much without those 3 guys.  Maybe the Hawks are the team that takes pity on other teams when they are down.  They let the Wild whack 'em without Parise and Granlund and all the other guys who got hurt during the course of the game. 

Edited by jacksalmon

Hawks bounce back tonight.  

They win 5-3.  D-cat and Kane each have goal and assist. Saad game winner

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless the Hawks actually play hockey tonight, I think they get killed. Like 6-2 or so. The Oilers have sucked too, and you can bet that they will be looking to correct that. We’ll see, but any performance like last night gets a much worse result!!!

Dunno what's going to happen tonite, First 2 games, in my view, they were faster, seemed to be in the right place ,position wise, passes were clicking, all the players seemed to have a fire in their heart to go go go. Last few games, seem to be going thru the motions, need that fire from game start to end. Hoping Q put a fire under their a...... Here's to a fresh start,  " GO HAWKS "

• Like 1

thanks MR

gonna be busy with the Cubbies again, watched some of the 1st of yesterdays game, saw the Blues just shoving Hawks players over from the get go..

hopefully they dont get pushed around tonight

Lets Go Hawks!! (and Cubs!!)

B-A-Hawk said on 16 minutes ago:

Dunno what's going to happen tonite, First 2 games, in my view, they were faster, seemed to be in the right place ,position wise, passes were clicking, all the players seemed to have a fire in their heart to go go go. Last few games, seem to be going thru the motions, need that fire from game start to end. Hoping Q put a fire under their a...... Here's to a fresh start,  " GO HAWKS "

Your description of how they have shown up through this season is accurate.  The important question is why the fire went out after the first two games.  I don't understand that at all.  But, I can understand Schwartz saying the key to their win was to pin the Hawks in their own end as that is what most opponents have been doing ever since those first two games.  I am very puzzled by this team.

Thanks as always Ms Madrose!

i wanted 10pts from the first 8 difficult games and a win tonight makes it 11.....let's go boys!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!

• Like 1

Granada said on 7 hours ago:

The Oilers are the last team I want to face right now after a couple bad outings; they always play us incredibly tough. Hawks better get their heads out of their aces from the word "go" or this could get ugly. No excuses (too many days off; back-to-back, etc.).

My friend...this is exactly who I want to face right now...I want to see what this team is really made of...at this point...down to its “core.”  Question marks are flying faster and more often then the rubber we are putting on our opponents goal.

• Like 1

jacksalmon said on 39 minutes ago:

Your description of how they have shown up through this season is accurate.  The important question is why the fire went out after the first two games.  I don't understand that at all.  But, I can understand Schwartz saying the key to their win was to pin the Hawks in their own end as that is what most opponents have been doing ever since those first two games.  I am very puzzled by this team.

Jack, i wish i had the answer, or could understand what happened, but i don't, I really hope Q does tho

cheers ms. madrose.

looks like forsberg against talbot. kero and oesterle on the ice, wingels and kempny aren't.

time to get back on track.

!!!!!!!    GO HAWKS    !!!!!!!

anisimov appears to have been demoted. with Q though, you never know.

Edited by galaxytrash
  • Like 1

'hawks win 6-5, overcoming McDavid and his 4 goal outing. 

at least that is what I am hoping for for fantasy purposes!