The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Madrose

10/18 Hawks vs Blues

EbonyRaptor said on 23 minutes ago:

I had a death in the family and missed the game. Checking the box score leads me to believe the Blues dominated. Is that correct?

it seems only Toews line outplayed their respective opps and the other two lines was not so bad.But it doesnt explain why Keith and Seabrook are -8... was top pairing defense the issue ? And why didn't play "new Kruger" Kero ??

bbb.jpg

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

Third game in a row against Central foes the Hawks have been shutout in the first two periods.  I understand all three of these opponents play tight, defensive minded games.  And yet at what point will the Hawks be again be ready from the opening puck drop?  

4-2-1, 9 points.  Both regulation losses by 5-2 scores.

galaxytrash said on 29 minutes ago:

i guess if you were looking for bright spots...not that many are at this point...you could say our special teams were good along with the faceoffs.

as a team, we won 57%.

toews won 14 of 21

schmaltz 5 of 12

AA 4 of 8

wingels 5 of 8

remainder 2 of 4

on the down side, seabs/keith both -4, sharp, hayden and wingels all -3.

our top +/- players were 8, 12, 14, 88, 5 and 6 at even.

EbonyRaptor said on 24 minutes ago:

I had a death in the family and missed the game. Checking the box score leads me to believe the Blues dominated. Is that correct?

Yes, GT, there were some bright spots; and yes, ER, the Blues dominated in the understatement of the year.  Despite the bright spots, it was the same old game that the Hawks have been playing ever since the first two games of the year.  They get out shot and most of the game is spent in their own defensive end.  They can't pass the puck out of that end to their teammates and can't keep it in the other team's end.  End of story.  As long as that scenario gets played out game after game, this team will have its troubles. 

galaxytrash said on 3 hours ago:

i think we've been pretty good on the second legs of a back to back over the same period.

just for the hell of it, and because i'm trying to stall cutting my grass...from the start of the 13/14 season and counting this season.we 37W and 23L in the second game of a back to back and are 12W 15L after a rest of 3 days or more.

based on won/loss records (counting o/t's as a loss or a win) we're a .617 team on zero days rest and a .444 team with at least 3 days rest in the same time period.

maybe it's just human nature, but Q should whip the mules harder in practice after a long rest the day before a game.   :)

again...numbers not dbl. checked but will be close.

Edited by galaxytrash
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This loss might have been on me. First game all season I didn't get to do my pre game rituals or follow the game at all. But I will be rearing and ready to go tonight. lol. 

Didn't get to watch any of the highlights yet - just saw we got badly out shot in the first 40, PK was perfect and we won the face off battle. 

I'm assuming it wasn't pretty - but this team has always seemed to struggle the game after a break. Hopefully tonight goes much better. 

Go Hawks!

• Like 1

yooper496 said on 9 hours ago:

So.......Murphy is the real problem?  Or Wingels?  Or not having Hossa?  Just trying to understand your post, friend.

The real problem?  Tonight was the 1st night all season Crawford & Saad didn't bail the team out.

• Like 3

LordKOTL said on 1 minute ago:

The real problem?  Tonight was the 1st night all season Crawford & Saad didn't bail the team out.

Ah, the Lee Majors effects...

I'm starting to believe the real, real problem stands behind the bench and occasionally clutches his crotch.  His team has simply not been prepared the past three games.  If he thinks that's acceptable, he can go grab his groin elsewhere.  Thanks for the memories, tho!!!

yooper496 said on 1 hour ago:

Ah, the Lee Majors effects...

I'm starting to believe the real, real problem stands behind the bench and occasionally clutches his crotch.  His team has simply not been prepared the past three games.  If he thinks that's acceptable, he can go grab his groin elsewhere.  Thanks for the memories, tho!!!

Perhaps.  I've heard some rumblings about how Q might have lost the room--and after last season I'd have to assume Q, like after 2012, has just enough rope to hang himself.

I will be really surprised though if we come up on a few more bad losses and the leadership core doesn't have a closed-door meeting a la the Kings when there were rumblings that "Bitter Beer Face" lost the room.  To me that would be an indication that the leadership core has checked out--and that should precipitate a coaching change--one who could manage the egos in the locker room.

• Like 2

LordKOTL said on 2 hours ago:

As I said the other day in our little conversation about SV%s, there will come a day when Crow would not make save after save and bail out the pathetic lack of a puck possession game.  As you said, in more technical terms, eventually, Crawford would regress to the mean. 

Edited by jacksalmon
  • Like 2

LordKOTL said on 6 minutes ago:

Perhaps.  I've heard some rumblings about how Q might have lost the room--and after last season I'd have to assume Q, like after 2012, has just enough rope to hang himself.

I will be really surprised though if we come up on a few more bad losses and the leadership core doesn't have a closed-door meeting a la the Kings when there were rumblings that "Bitter Beer Face" lost the room.  To me that would be an indication that the leadership core has checked out--and that should precipitate a coaching change--one who could manage the egos in the locker room.

I personally don't think it would be the end of the world to part ways with Quenneville.  Other teams in recent years have had continued success with a coaching change.  

Taking 7 points in 4 games against Eastern Conference teams is great, but the Hawks playoff chances hinge on beating divisional opponents and while they took 2 points out of the game against the Preds, they were dominated in all 3 division games. That has to change or we can forget about playoffs.

jacksalmon said on 2 hours ago:

As I said the other day in our little conversation about SV%s, there will come a day when Crow would not make save after save and bail out the pathetic lack of a puck possession game.  As you said, in more technical terms, eventually, Crawford would regress to the mean. 

Yep.  he went down from .960 to .947.  Darn.  Maybe not his best night, but it was 1 bad showing out of 7 good-or-better showings.  Out of or long-term core, only Toews can possibly be considered as-good overall or better.  Kane, Keith, Seabrook, they've been far, far worse AINEC.

yooper496 said on 2 hours ago:

I personally don't think it would be the end of the world to part ways with Quenneville.  Other teams in recent years have had continued success with a coaching change.  

Perhaps not, but I think it would take a major blunder, moreso than the 1 game where Saad and Crawford didn't carry the team, to do so. 

yooper496 said on 14 hours ago:

So.......Murphy is the real problem?  Or Wingels?  Or not having Hossa?  Just trying to understand your post, friend.

Yoop crawl back into that underground city and mine some data ( where would this board be without the wonderful mirth of Yoop and Gig) While i dislike speaking negative about any personality I been hanging on to that Murphy opinion in the hopes he produces and the Wingels comment is just what it is ...a bad game   there is plenty of "bad game" from last night Lot of game plan mistakes. Curiously, i also thought Sharp had a bad game , but since that 1st period penalty he just made 12 minutes hardly a fair sample(what i am getting at is he is misused) 

Beyond that tonights game is almost at the crucial stage for both teams .....

• Like 1

PuckProphet said on 6 minutes ago:

Yoop crawl back into that underground city and mine some data ( where would this board be without the wonderful mirth of Yoop and Gig) While i dislike speaking negative about any personality I been hanging on to that Murphy opinion in the hopes he produces and the Wingels comment is just what it is ...a bad game   there is plenty of "bad game" from last night Lot of game plan mistakes. Curiously, i also thought Sharp had a bad game , but since that 1st period penalty he just made 12 minutes hardly a fair sample(what i am getting at is he is misused) 

Beyond that tonights game is almost at the crucial stage for both teams .....

OK.  

I wonder what exactly we should have expected from Murphy.  I never followed him when he was a desert dog.  He hit and blocked some shots but never was much offensively.  Obviously, he has not been a minute muncher like the guy he was traded for.  But for the 12-13 minutes he does get, has he really been that bad?  I believe he still is a positive +/- guy, albeit against other teams lesser players perhaps.

"Lot of game plan mistakes".  You are spot on with that point, PuckProphet.

Modry-Jazyk said on 14 hours ago:

it seems only Toews line outplayed their respective opps and the other two lines was not so bad.But it doesnt explain why Keith and Seabrook are -8... was top pairing defense the issue ? And why didn't play "new Kruger" Kero ??

bbb.jpg

Yea i been vigorously defending him all summer .... But the truth is the truth ....All these Seabrook posters think CHI is in for a rough ride. May be right ....The criticism  he cannot contain the puck carrier .....well its valid ...Lets hope we can touch his sense of pride or appeal to him that he is hurting his teammates ( Seabrook is level headed you have to go after him with facts then emotion) 

DFJHIkmXkAAr9gq.jpg

Edited by PuckProphet