The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Madrose

10/14 Hawks vs Preds

irmaks said on 10 minutes ago:

Schmaltz is out but 'close' according to Q

Crap. This is starting to turn into one of those things where he's day-to-day for 10 games. :mellow:

• Like 2

My guess is that the Preds will bring it to continue their psychological dominance over the Hawks.  Therefore, unless the Hawks play as though the game means something, they will get beat.  I think it is essential for them to put out some serious effort to win this one.  The glories of the first two games are gone.  Now is the time to start working on bringing effort to every game.  They are not good enough to win without it.  The Wild game is plenty of evidence for that. 

blkhwks918 said on 1 minute ago:

Crap. This is starting to turn into one of those things where he's day-to-day for 10 games. :mellow:

Yes, it is disappointing, as I thought he was exciting to watch in the first two games.  But as others said in the Wild thread, if Schmaltz' presence is the difference between winning and losing, this team is in trouble. 

Edited by jacksalmon

jacksalmon said on 1 hour ago:

Yes, it is disappointing, as I thought he was exciting to watch in the first two games.  But as others said in the Wild thread, if Schmaltz' presence is the difference between winning and losing, this team is in trouble. 

I'm going to say this one more time and then leave it at that:

I get the concern that one very young player's absence spells trouble if said player seems to be the reason for ineptitude.  However, he's played and is projected to play a very important position in 2LC, especially with this team.  We really don't have anyone who can play 2LC anymore (AA too slow for today's game and playing with Kaner).  It is arguably the second most important forward position on the team.  It can leave your team seriously depleted.  Moreover, if there is a key reason why the Blackhawsk looked noticeably faster in Game 1 (and the only minute he played in Game 2), it was that Nick Schmaltz was everywhere due largely to his speed.  Kaner rode that coattail.  Kaner hasn't looked the same since (not an absolution, but it is something of an albatross to overcome).   So, if we agree that Patrick Kane is our best player and #88 is a Top 5 player in this league, then everything should be done to make sure that he has those coattails.  

I might be wrong, but I saw way too much in Game 1 against the defending champs to avoid a sense of giddiness about what Nick Schmaltz brings to the table even if it's largely due to the position he plays as 2LC.

Edited by GigECJ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GigECJ said on 28 minutes ago:

I'm going to say this one more time and then leave it at that:

I get the concern that one very young player's absence spells trouble if said player seems to be the reason for ineptitude.  However, he's played and is projected to play a very important position in 2LC, especially with this team.  We really don't have anyone who can play 2LC anymore (AA too slow for today's game and playing with Kaner).  It is arguably the second most important forward position on the team.  It can leave your team seriously depleted.  Moreover, if there is a key reason why the Blackhawsk looked noticeably faster in Game 1 (and the only minute he played in Game 2), it was that Nick Schmaltz was everywhere due largely to his speed.  Kaner rode that coattail.  Kaner hasn't looked the same since (not an absolution, but it is something of an albatross to overcome).   So, if we agree that Patrick Kane is our best player and #88 is a Top 5 player in this league, then everything should be done to make sure that has those coattails.  

I might be wrong, but I saw way too much in Game 1 against the defending champs to avoid a sense of giddiness about what Nick Schmaltz brings to the table even if it's largely due to the position he plays as 2LC.

I agree with everything you say.  However, the Wild won without Parise and Granlund.  So, Schmaltz is out.  Can't the other players step it up for a few games to make up the loss?  Yeah, 2C is important, but there are other aspects of the game that should be capable of being stepped up to produce a win.  To me, there was a serious lack of effort in the Wild game.  No killer instinct when an opponent was down with two good players out.  Will they bring a serious effort in this Pred game?  I don't know about the Hawks, but I know the Preds will.  They will be trying to undermine the Hawks confidence and convince them that they cannot beat the Preds.  Are the Hawks capable of overcoming that Pred effort and skill and win the game?  Yes, Will they?  I don't know.  It depends on whether they want it bad enough. 

I might be in the minority here but, imo, the game on Thursday was decided by puck bounces, not by substandard play.  Overall the game was pretty even, but there is always room for improvement.  I do recall a couple of open nets in the second period and, in one instance, a shot was going in only to be deflected by a Minnesota player's stick at the last instant.  At the beginning of the third, a Hawk player (don't remember who), had a double poster.    Then the ill fated bouncing pass up the boards that hopped over Seab's stick (he should have played that more cautiously) that led to the 2 on 1.  I don't fault Seab's speed on that play, rather his decision on how to play the pass. Had those bounces gone the Hawks' way, the score would have been 3 or 4 to 1 before the controversial non call on the Wild's goal.

Tonight will be a good test to see how they bounce back.  I too would like to see Kero in at 2C if Schmaltz isn't in the lineup, but Q doesn't solicit my input.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

jacksalmon said on 35 minutes ago:

I agree with everything you say.  However, the Wild won without Parise and Granlund.  So, Schmaltz is out.  Can't the other players step it up for a few games to make up the loss?  Yeah, 2C is important, but there are other aspects of the game that should be capable of being stepped up to produce a win.  To me, there was a serious lack of effort in the Wild game.  No killer instinct when an opponent was down with two good players out.  Will they bring a serious effort in this Pred game?  I don't know about the Hawks, but I know the Preds will.  They will be trying to undermine the Hawks confidence and convince them that they cannot beat the Preds.  Are the Hawks capable of overcoming that Pred effort and skill and win the game?  Yes, Will they?  I don't know.  It depends on whether they want it bad enough. 

Jack, I do believe that tonight's game should be won by the beloved.  Here's why:

1. Hawks are at home having just lost at home.  Rarely do they lose twice in a row at home.

2. How could they be any more motivated than they should be against the Preds?

3. They need to prove to themselves that Nick Schmaltz is not the "be all, and all" for the team.  Although I argued something to the effect, the team still needs to learn to win without him.  After all, he still cannot be considered a Top Tier player in this league.

If they lose tonight, we will have to declare one or more of the following:

a. Nick is necessary.

b. It's a long season that's really only just begun.

c. The Preds have our number.

d. There's always "next year."

I'm going to stray away from "d" for awhile.

irmaks said on 1 hour ago:

Hopefully after 3 games with AA on second line, Q will finally understand that it does not work 

He finally realized it after the 2nd period vs the Wild, and once Kero centred that line they scored. AA is back to the 3rd line where he hopefully stays. 

Edited by OldTimeHawky
  • Like 1

OldTimeHawky said on 1 hour ago:

He finally realized it after the 2nd period vs the Wild, and once Kero centred that line they scored. AA is back to the 3rd line where he hopefully stays. 

I wonder if there's this thing in Q's mind that AA had success with Kaner last year, so therefore...

Well, Kaner also had a relatively fast guy and playmaker/shooter on LW in the Breadman.   Can't quite say that about Hartmann.  So, I would say if AA needs to spot the second line for a short spell, perhaps Sharpie should be on LW.

• Like 1

Thanks as always Ms Madrose!

We all knew the first eight games were gonna be a tough stretch,7pts in the bank and 6 more on the table........let's go boys!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Like 4

Although it is game 6 of 82, this game has significant importance. The Hawks have to make a statement out of this game. Whatever happened versus the Wild is done and gone but the Preds, the same Preds who embarrassed this team like no other in the last 10 years, the Hawks must be mentally prepared for this tilt and save themselves from more embarrassment from this Nashville team. 

GigECJ said on 3 hours ago:

Jack, I do believe that tonight's game should be won by the beloved.  Here's why:

1. Hawks are at home having just lost at home.  Rarely do they lose twice in a row at home.

2. How could they be any more motivated than they should be against the Preds?

3. They need to prove to themselves that Nick Schmaltz is not the "be all, and all" for the team.  Although I argued something to the effect, the team still needs to learn to win without him.  After all, he still cannot be considered a Top Tier player in this league.

If they lose tonight, we will have to declare one or more of the following:

a. Nick is necessary.

b. It's a long season that's really only just begun.

c. The Preds have our number.

d. There's always "next year."

I'm going to stray away from "d" for awhile.

hawkinmontreal said on 10 minutes ago:

Although it is game 6 of 82, this game has significant importance. The Hawks have to make a statement out of this game. Whatever happened versus the Wild is done and gone but the Preds, the same Preds who embarrassed this team like no other in the last 10 years, the Hawks must be mentally prepared for this tilt and save themselves from more embarrassment from this Nashville team. 

As you both have suggested and I did in my first post in this thread, this is the game when we should see the Hawks come out and bust it.  Frankly, I expected that in the Wild game  and did not see it.  But, today is a different day, so we'll see what they bring.  Hopefully, it is more than what they brought against the Wild. 

jacksalmon said on 4 minutes ago:

As you both have suggested and I did in my first post in this thread, this is the game when we should see the Hawks come out and bust it.  Frankly, I expected that in the Wild game  and did not see it.  But, today is a different day, so we'll see what they bring.  Hopefully, it is more than what they brought against the Wild. 

I am hoping for the same effort as you Jack, will this team be ready to go when the puck drops because we know Nashville will and I am sure they aren’t blaming there slow start on the absence of Ellis. 

Well, i dunno what happened after the first 2 games, seems they lost a step, or at least some of the team did, can't just be Smaltz, can it ?

I'm hoping they come out rejuvenated, since they're playing the pred's, I think this team has more potential, if they just come out giving it their all, should be a good game,  Tnx Madrose, 

It'll be nice if they win this game, and a bit upsetting if they lose it.....

Either way.....

Where the idea is coming from that this is some kind of bellcow/season-breaker/statement/proof of anything game ?..... seems way way over the top to me.

After 5 games last year the Hawks were 2-3 and the playoffs were a pipe dream, To get so far over your skis before the first frost of the year seems pretty dramatic.

Go Hawks, play hard....it's a league based on parity. The team might actually lose some games.

Edited by Icaddiedforstosh
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

GO HAWKS GO! Lets get the two points tonight with a statement game against the team that embarassed us in the playoffs last year.

• Like 1

thanks MR,

another Cubs game to watch, will try to watch this as well, playoffs over reg season unfortunately

thought they played well last game, just needed better puck luck..  and that was AA who had the double poster..:)

Lets Go Hawks!!!

• Like 2

This game isn’t any bigger than any other 2017-18 regular season game so far...except we don’t want to lose back-to-back games.  It’s no statement game to last year’s playoffs. A regular season win tonight changes nothing except this year’s regular season record.

So.......Go Hawks!

iknowpuck said on 1 minute ago:

This game isn’t any bigger than any other 2017-18 regular season game so far...except we don’t want to lose back-to-back games.  It’s no statement game to last year’s playoffs. A regular season win tonight changes nothing except this year’s regular season record.

So.......Go Hawks!

Your last sentence is absolutely true.  But, if really think that the game is as meaningless as you say, given the results in last year's playoff series, then I don't think you understand the mentality of any athlete who respects himself. 

• Like 2

jacksalmon said on 4 minutes ago:

Your last sentence is absolutely true.  But, if really think that the game is as meaningless as you say, given the results in last year's playoff series, then I don't think you understand the mentality of any athlete who respects himself. 

Yeah, while I've stated in so many words that this is not a make-or-break game, I did mention that the Hawks should be fully motivated for the affair regardless of its relatively meaningless outcome.  I'll be disappointed if they lose, but will quickly see the light.