The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
txyak

Krugers replacement

mvr said on 9 minutes ago:

I fully agree the team is somewhat desperate for a third-line centre, though I'm hoping the replacement will be more effective than Kruger.  

The coach never trusted Kruger, which is why he burned out Toews in checking roles the last few years.  

What is needed is Dave Bolland, Volume Two - someone who the coach trusts to annoy, distract (and shutdown) this year's version of the Sedin twins.   Kero does not seem mean or intense enough for the job.    The player for this role should have an edge and play a bit dirty.   It would be a real bonus if he could win a faceoff (and preferably shoot right).

My first thought here remains John Hayden, and I do not get why Quenneville has not tried him in the role.   Unlike Hartman, Hayden does have recent experience playing centre in college.  He's not a great skater, but he gets there and has some real reach, which is always helpful.

If Hayden is not the answer, there should be some trade options out there.   I wonder if Murphy plus a draft pick might interest a potential trade partner.  Apparently, Bowman's replacement for Hjalmarsson is already being shopped around.   What a waste. 

There are some potential in-house solutions long term   I am excited about Dauphin, Kampf and especially Knott in this role long term.

I thought you mentioned Hayden in this role a while back.  I would like to see it happen if a trade doesn’t happen.

I thought it would be tried during training camp and actually am a bit shocked it was not.

I did really like what I saw from Graham Knott at camp.   Perhaps he might be a long term answer here.

mvr said on 7 minutes ago:

Panik is terrific one night, and then he disappears for two or three games.   It has been his history for his entire pro career.

If he could find a way to maintain his intensity consistently, he would be a star in this league.

Byfuglien - a favourite of mine - was like that.   So was Bickell.

Yes, and I still think he makes a great third line checking wing that can also score some goals...like Sharp.

Hayden must be a smart kid to get to Yale.   This kind of role requires smarts.  He also has some good faceoff numbers so far.

mvr said on 1 minute ago:

I thought it would be tried during training camp and actually am a bit shocked it was not.

I did really like what I saw from Graham Knott at camp.   Perhaps he might be a long term answer here.

I agree.  But as of now I’d like to see short term answers...unless the brass decides the window has closed.

I think Hayden with Hartman and Panik would make a strong third line.   

• Like 1

mvr said on 1 minute ago:

Hayden must be a smart kid to get to Yale.   This kind of role requires smarts.  He also has some good faceoff numbers so far.

And a mean streak to him...interesting combo.

iknowpuck said on 1 minute ago:

And a mean streak to him...interesting combo.

Joel Otto.   Big, mean, smart, defensively sound.   Agitator.   Shut down expert.

This is what John Hayden could become.

• Like 2

I would like to see the experiment.  It seems like Hayden is performing well without a consistent slot/position.  Seems lost in that aspect.  Having his size and toughness as a third line center would be an upgrade. 

• Like 1

Hayden is at 56% in faceoffs so far.   He shoots right.   Toews and Anisimov shoot left.

Edited by mvr

I would like to see Sharp on the fourth line with Bouma and Wingels. 

If Toews can be separated from the star opponents and be used more for scoring situations - Debrincat could provide a useful role there with Saad,

mvr said on 3 minutes ago:

I would like to see Sharp on the fourth line with Bouma and Wingels. 

If Toews can be separated from the star opponents and be used more for scoring situations - Debrincat could provide a useful role there with Saad,

I suggested D-cat on the first line in another thread for the same reason.

But, Sharp on the 4th line?  A waste no?  Send him to a contender and play a kid that can do the same on the 4th line.

He would be a great substitute for injuries.   Sharp can play on any line.  

mvr said on Just now:

He would be a great substitute for injuries.   Sharp can play on any line.  

On a contender I could agree with this...but is that a necessary asset right now on this team?

As a teacher and mentor at $800 K, sure.   He is happy to be here.   What is the problem?

• Like 1

Problem?  That’s a different thread.

I’d rather see Dauphin, Kampf, Hino, etc. in that role for a team that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere right now.

They can be brought up in March.   For now, the idea is to tread water and get the young rookies and defence stablized.  

I would demote the eighth defenceman and bring up Hinostroza tomorrow, but the others can wait.  

You don't cut Sharp for another rookie right now.

mvr said on 6 minutes ago:

They can be brought up in March.   For now, the idea is to tread water and get the young rookies and defence stablized.  

I would demote the eighth defenceman and bring up Hinostroza tomorrow, but the others can wait.  

You don't cut Sharp for another rookie right now.

So, this year’s hope is lost?

iknowpuck said on 18 hours ago:

So, this year’s hope is lost?

I suspect the Hawks will remain in the mix for a playoff position until the last game of the season.   The division is not very good this year.  The Hawks do still have some of the better players in the game, though most of them are past their peaks.

The main problem is on the back end.   Without Hjalmarsson and with Keith and Seabrook both notably in decline, this team lacks elite game-breaking talent on the back end.   Toews and Keith remain very talented players, but they are not what they once were.   Crawford can still win some games when called upon, but he does not score goals.  The team likely will get worse before it gets better.

I remember a similar transition in the mid to late 1970s in the post Bobby Hull era.   At the time, Stan Mikita, Keith Magnuson and Tony Esposito carried some very weak teams through a period of rapid turnover before gradually handing the baton to Doug Wilson, Bob Murray, Tom Lysiak and then Denis Savard, Larmer and Secord.  

It is best for now to retain as many of the core players as possible to smooth over the rough patches ahead and keep the team competitive as in breaks in the young players.  

I am hopeful the Hawks will be back in contention in a few years.   They are certainly not that right now.