The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
galaxytrash

'17/18 hawks outlook

jacksalmon said on 1 hour ago:

So, they are going to go from being swept by the Preds in a "not even close" series, to winning it all?  I guess you think the Preds got worse over the offseason.  With Subban, Josi, Ellis and Ekholm on the back end, it does not look that way to me. 

Taking this series game by game it had the makings of a long series.  Game 1 was a toss up and we gave them game 3 by trying to protect an early lead instead of building on it like the Preds did in game 2.  We did not learn.  This game went to overtime and according to the Toews interview they sat back and waited for the breaks.  Playoffs tend to be very long or very short.  Games have been won on the first shot.  Waiting for breaks is for losers and we lost.  We also lost because of a powder buff defensive system and a failure of our goal scorers to produce.  We have a new Minister of Defense who is going to reintroduce body contact.  We have gotten bigger with Murphy, Wingels and Bouma.  We now have the ability to roll four lines Q willing.  

• Like 2

nighbor said on 36 minutes ago:

Taking this series game by game it had the makings of a long series.  Game 1 was a toss up and we gave them game 3 by trying to protect an early lead instead of building on it like the Preds did in game 2.  We did not learn.  This game went to overtime and according to the Toews interview they sat back and waited for the breaks.  Playoffs tend to be very long or very short.  Games have been won on the first shot.  Waiting for breaks is for losers and we lost.  We also lost because of a powder buff defensive system and a failure of our goal scorers to produce.  We have a new Minister of Defense who is going to reintroduce body contact.  We have gotten bigger with Murphy, Wingels and Bouma.  We now have the ability to roll four lines Q willing.  

I hope you are right about the resurgence.  I am still unwilling to get on board after the trashing I got by doing so at the end of last year's regular season.  Plenty of time to get back on board, if they prove the trip would be a worthwhile one.  I can always eat my crow later.  In the meantime, they will have to show me they are a different team.  Who knows, you could be right. 

jacksalmon said on On 8/28/2017 at 6:40 PM:

I hope you are right about the resurgence.  I am still unwilling to get on board after the trashing I got by doing so at the end of last year's regular season.  Plenty of time to get back on board, if they prove the trip would be a worthwhile one.  I can always eat my crow later.  In the meantime, they will have to show me they are a different team.  Who knows, you could be right. 

Crow is best served wrapped in bacon with an internal temperature of 165 degrees with a side of rice :D

CSN Chicago ran a season preview last night followed by a neat 30min Saad segment/interview,we're gettin' close!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

There has not been a season since 2007 with so many ifs.

Not knowing what the outcome for this team may and can be its hard to believe they will roll over and go away. The Hawks will certainly have to work there butts off this season and take nothing for granted but at the bare minimum this is a playoff team.

I hate to say this, but If I'm making a prediction that is logical and thought out with my head and not my heart and taking into account all the washed up has been's and never will be's that we are talking about bringing in, I think this 2017/2018 Blackhawks are a 70-75 point team second to last in the division.

hawkinmontreal said on On 9/9/2017 at 11:44 AM:

There has not been a season since 2007 with so many ifs.

Not knowing what the outcome for this team may and can be its hard to believe they will roll over and go away. The Hawks will certainly have to work there butts off this season and take nothing for granted but at the bare minimum this is a playoff team.

I don't think they will roll over and go away.  But, neither did some of those Red Wing teams on their season by season tumble to oblivion.  I think this team could be another Red Wing fade away; or they might really have something left to regain excellence.  After the trashing by the Preds, it is hard for me to see them regaining excellence.  But, it could happen.  Stranger things have occurred in sports.  They certainly aren't going to be a bad team, though.  They will win some games. 

• Like 1

Not sure if there are that many "ifs" this season as there are strong pieces in place to be and upper echelon team.  And pieces with the right slotting for maximizing value (e.g. Sharp with the third line).  It is more the players that will put the team "over" being a 2nd tier team that I am more interested in and will. E the difference with success this season.

To do well the 'hawks need both the rookies/journeymen and the seasoned vets/core to be better than last year, which is "ifs".  But I don't think we're as bad as 2nd to last in the division.  I think the key here is expectations--and those expectations with respect to some players are going to be higher than last season's output.

I still think 3rd in the division is the bar.  More is awesome.  1st wildcard is acceptable.  2nd wildcard is bad.  Missing the playoffs will be an epic fail and I can see heads rolling if the 'hawks miss out, up to and including Stan and Q.

I.E. between Sharp hitting 15-20, Saad hitting 30G, and Toews hitting 30G, and Panik in the low-to-mid 20's that pretty much makes up for the O loss of both Panarin and Hossa.  Saad and Toews are both fully capable of hitting 30G and thus should be their expectation (especially at their pricepoint).  Panik should be able to hit 20 with Saad and Toews, and Sharp shouldn't be worse than his last stint here.

I am much more enthusiastic about this team today as opposed to a week ago.  

Adding Franson and Stuart to the back end is huge.   If Mitchell makes the team as well, he fills an important hole down the middle on the fourth line.    This team still has plenty of talent, and it is not likely to be pushed around any longer.

One or two smart moves between now and the deadline sets this team up for a long run.

galaxytrash said on On 8/20/2017 at 9:56 PM:

here's one guys picks for the central this year.

it's going to be a tough division to call, but i'm not sure at all if dallas has improved enough to finish 2nd.

http://bluehqmedia.com/picking-the-central/

27 days until camp opens.

may it pass quickly....

Full disclosure- I wrote all of the Hawks articles on that site. I've written a lot over the years, but never about hockey.  I certainly am not the expert I hope to be someday, but I'm a capable writer, a lifelong fan, and a good student of the game. Sadly, I have a full time job as an athletic director which takes about 60 hours a week, but I am loving writing these!  And, I agree, a tough division to pick!

Edited by Foggyspal
  • Like 1

Foggyspal said on 3 hours ago:

Full disclosure- I wrote all of the Hawks articles on that site. I've written a lot over the years, but never about hockey.  I certainly am not the expert I hope to be someday, but I'm a capable writer, a lifelong fan, and a good student of the game. Sadly, I have a full time job as an athletic director which takes about 60 hours a week, but I am loving writing these!  And, I agree, a tough division to pick!

Hey, I like your pick!

I gotta disagree with it, though. I think Dallas and St Loo will battle for the division title with the 'hawks and perds finishing 3rd and 4th respectively.  Just my 0.02....

• Like 1

vadarx said on 4 hours ago:

Hey, I like your pick!

I gotta disagree with it, though. I think Dallas and St Loo will battle for the division title with the 'hawks and perds finishing 3rd and 4th respectively.  Just my 0.02....

I messed with the order a few times, and had the Hawks as low as WildCard.  The division is tough. 

• Like 1

Foggyspal said on 34 minutes ago:

I messed with the order a few times, and had the Hawks as low as WildCard.  The division is tough. 

You ain't lyin... I'd say as many as five teams have a shot at winning it. Gonna be a tough road, but I have faith that our boys will get into the post season. I think all 5 will make the playoffs, actually....

• Like 1

Foggyspal said on 8 hours ago:

The division was the weakest in all of hockey last year--which means that 2 wildcards in the central may not be possible:

Edmonton is finally on the rise.
Calgary is on the rise.
The Ducks and Sharks should be up there in the Pacific.
I expect the Coyotes, Canucks, and Kniggets to be weak.

LA can be the upset--especially with a healthy Quick and Kopitar returning to form.

That being said, I don't see the Central wresting both wildcard slots.

I expect Nashville, St. Louis, and Minny to be up the Central.  Colorado should be on the bottom again. That leaves Chicago, Dallas, and Winnipeg fighting it out for either upsetting Nash, St.Louis, and Minny--and of those three all could be upset, although I don't think all 3 will.

No matter how you slice it though, a team with Saad, Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, and Crawford should *not* miss the playoffs--especially with guys like Ani, Panik, and Sharp in support.

All these forecasts for the Hawks as a wild card team is a pretty good indicator that they will follow the path of the Red Wing teams as they went from excellence to oblivion.  They hung around for a few years before completely fading into the sunset.  There does not seem to be a lot of optimism about these Hawks and I guess I don't really disagree.  Hope we are all wrong, though. 

jacksalmon said on 10 minutes ago:

All these forecasts for the Hawks as a wild card team is a pretty good indicator that they will follow the path of the Red Wing teams as they went from excellence to oblivion.  They hung around for a few years before completely fading into the sunset.  There does not seem to be a lot of optimism about these Hawks and I guess I don't really disagree.  Hope we are all wrong, though. 

believe it or not, but not everyone here is predicting doom and gloom.

• Like 2

jacksalmon said on 13 minutes ago:

You're pretty negative, this team is better than last year, bigger, younger, and faster, that'll really help the core. And not sure why you said "hope we're all wrong", not all of us are negative nellies.

Edited by OldTimeHawky
  • Like 2

jacksalmon said on 1 hour ago:

I would like to state, for the record, that my prediction of a 3rd place finish does not mean I am not optimistic about our chances this coming season.  That's just how I see it working out in the regular season. The post season is a different ball game and success in that is all I give d@mn about.

• Like 2