The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
galaxytrash

'17/18 hawks outlook

blackmore said on On 10/24/2017 at 8:33 AM:

I think the lack of on-ice chemistry, to a degree, is simply the fact that many of these guys haven't played with each other for very long. With the exception of Seabs and Dunc, how many of these forwards have played with the other rotating D-corps? This would explain miscues in the D to forward up ice passes, and of course, the unfamiliarity of the natural tendencies that players have which others are not familiar with yet.  There's a lot of new guys on this team, so I think most of this will work itself out in time while playing together.

Vegas had no passing problems last night so that chemistry thing of not playing together enough is moot the Hawks have played together longer than Vegas ever has. It's more of just trying to be fancy.

Edited by Creature1958
  • Like 3

Creature1958 said on On 10/25/2017 at 12:15 PM:

Vegas had no passing problems last night so that chemistry thing of not playing together enough is moot the Hawks have played together longer than Vegas ever has. It's more of just trying to be fancy.

Yes, "line chemistry" can be a bit overrated.  System, keeping things simple yet unpredictable is more important.

The Hawks look to rigid, too tight and too predictable.  System flaws?  Maybe.  I'd like to see more creativity from this talent.

Vegas did it.

Pops.

iknowpuck said on 17 hours ago:

Yes, "line chemistry" can be a bit overrated.  System, keeping things simple yet unpredictable is more important.

The Hawks look to rigid, too tight and too predictable.  System flaws?  Maybe.  I'd like to see more creativity from this talent.

Vegas did it.

Pops.

That would involve not playing perimeter hockey. You just go right for the jugular don't ya :lol:

I was able to see entire Blackhawks and Lightning game last night and the Blackhawks should've won the game against the NHL's best team. I wasn't as impressed with the skilled Lightning as the Blackhawks, but the Blackhawks still lack an impact player that can make them a Cup winning team. Do you remember how big it was to get Richards and Vermette back in 2015? That's exactly what the Blackhawks need now. I sure wish Blackhawks never got rid of Teravainen.  Does anybody know why we go rid of him. Teravainen is tearing up the league and it's exciting to watch even though I'm not a Carolina fan. I don't think Saad and Sharp are at the level they need to be. They are trying, but I know they can get to a higher level. I'm very impressed with DeBrincat. He has a lot of skill and very fun to watch.  I actually feel the Blackhawks are better than last year's team, especially on the defensive side. Stan needs to find that impact player that the Blackhawks don't have to give up a lot for. The Blackhawks are so close to being a Cup winning team. Last night was a true test and Lightning were lucky to win game. If Blackhawks had that impact player last night the game's result could have been different.  Yes, it was a hard loss last night, but the Blackhawks stuck with the league's best team. 

• Upvote 1

IMO, no...not as currently assembled.

I also think it’s going to take more than a legit 2LW...difference maker.

Ex: Does a JVR, Neal, Chucky, etc. make the difference in winning a 7 game series against the bolts?  I think it takes a little more.

iknowpuck said on 11 minutes ago:

IMO, no...not as currently assembled.

I also think it’s going to take more than a legit 2LW...difference maker.

Ex: Does a JVR, Neal, Chucky, etc. make the difference in winning a 7 game series against the bolts?  I think it takes a little more.

You may be right, but we don’t get to game 1 of the Cup finals without that said guy. I think we need a blockbuster trade, get the core the help they need!!!

Big-T said on 9 minutes ago:

You may be right, but we don’t get to game 1 of the Cup finals without that said guy. I think we need a blockbuster trade, get the core the help they need!!!

My point is that without that said guy we might not even get into the playoffs.  It’s going to take more to win the cup...which is the question of the thread.

Ahhhh...the good ole blockbuster trade idea.  I’m in full agreement T...I have posted that for two years or so.

I know they are difficult to make...but I sure hope SB is trying/considering.  It’s needed.  Chipping away one little piece at a time isn’t going to do it, IMO.  It’s just wasting whatever cup window time our core may have left.

Happy Thanksgiving, T.

Edited by iknowpuck
  • Like 1

iknowpuck said on 1 minute ago:

My point is that without that said guy we might not even get into the playoffs.  It’s going to take more to win the cup...which is the question of the thread.

Ahhhh...the good ole blockbuster trade idea.  I’m in full agreement T...I have posted that for two years or so.

I know they are difficult to make...but I sure hope SB is trying/considering.  It’s needed.  Chipping away one little piece at a time isn’t going to do it, IMO.  It’s just wasting whatever cup window time our core may have left.

Happy Thanksgiving, T.

I fully agree, I’m in America jr, right across from Detroit, although a Canuck, I take this holiday off every year. It’s like the kickoff to the holiday season for us. Happy Yanksgiving!!!

IMHO, in order for the 2017-18 Chicago Blackhawks to win the Cup in today's NHL with extreme parity that includes high speed and skill on almost every team, they will need another integral piece or two such as:

1. Another Dave Bolland-type shutdown center (primarily to alleviate the work that Tazer often has to do defensively so that he may concentrate on his offense which includes making Panik and Saad better than they've been.

2. Another veteran above average offensive player 

I would also hope for continued progress with our young players.  As T stated, the Hawks don't have the luxury--if they desire a Cup this season--to wait for these kids to grow.  They pretty much have to "get it" very soon as the Pittsburgh youth did the past couple of seasons for that team.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Edited by GigECJ

bwrightzky said on 4 hours ago:

I was able to see entire Blackhawks and Lightning game last night and the Blackhawks should've won the game against the NHL's best team. I wasn't as impressed with the skilled Lightning as the Blackhawks, but the Blackhawks still lack an impact player that can make them a Cup winning team. Do you remember how big it was to get Richards and Vermette back in 2015? That's exactly what the Blackhawks need now. I sure wish Blackhawks never got rid of Teravainen.  Does anybody know why we go rid of him. Teravainen is tearing up the league and it's exciting to watch even though I'm not a Carolina fan. I don't think Saad and Sharp are at the level they need to be. They are trying, but I know they can get to a higher level. I'm very impressed with DeBrincat. He has a lot of skill and very fun to watch.  I actually feel the Blackhawks are better than last year's team, especially on the defensive side. Stan needs to find that impact player that the Blackhawks don't have to give up a lot for. The Blackhawks are so close to being a Cup winning team. Last night was a true test and Lightning were lucky to win game. If Blackhawks had that impact player last night the game's result could have been different.  Yes, it was a hard loss last night, but the Blackhawks stuck with the league's best team. 

Teravainen was necessary to complete the Bickell trade.

Edited by MidwestMike
  • Like 1