The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
galaxytrash

Patrick Sharp is coming to town.

Sigh.

I was hoping this would only be a "last option," only for it to be the the first. Guess this is the best Bowman can do this off-season.

Edited by Granada

hawkinmontreal said on Just now:

Hawks need to move away from these paper weights, the defence needs some physicality and guys who are willing to get dirty and quit frankly Campbell and Oduya are past that stage.

Well then Q would have to go. The defense has never been physical only as a last resort. Poke check first. When was the last time you seen the opponent stood up at the blue line?

Creature1958 said on Just now:

Well then Q would have to go. The defense has never been physical only as a last resort. Poke check first. When was the last time you seen the opponent stood up at the blue line?

I think it's when Roszival tried in the 2015 playoffs vs Minnesota? :P

Phill9 said on 1 minute ago:

I think it's when Roszival tried in the 2015 playoffs vs Minnesota? :P

I may have to go on You tube and check for failed blue line checks to verify that :D

Jay Zawaski saying Sharp contract would be for under $1 million for 1 year.

Creature1958 said on 1 minute ago:

I may have to go on You tube and check for failed blue line checks to verify that :D

I think you may find it under "Roszival puts in crutch performance" :lol:

• Upvote 1

Phill9 said on 3 minutes ago:

Jay Zawaski saying Sharp contract would be for under $1 million for 1 year.

Outstanding 

At first glance, I was not happy with this deal, but reading a few thoughts posted here, and then seeing that he may well sign for under $1M has me OK with this...the risk is pretty low, and the potential return is quite high. 

Creature1958 said on 38 minutes ago:

Creach thats rhe point I am getting at, with Ulf on board that old strategy is bound to change. I think Ulf will get a fair share of input this coming season.

Edited by hawkinmontreal
  • Upvote 1

Jurco is making $800 K this year.   Jurco has not managed to find full time employment in this league yet several years being drafted.   The likelihood that he become the next Panik is very low.

If Sharp indeed signs for under $1 M, which player provides better value?

If nothing else, Sharp provides a veteran presence who can help Toews in grooming the young kids on how to be a professional.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind having Sharp back, particularly at <$1m per but they really need help up the middle and on the blue line....this addresses neither of these issues.

Granada said on 40 minutes ago:

Sigh.

I was hoping this would only be a "last option," only for it to be the the first. Guess this is the best Bowman can do this off-season.

Granada have some faith buddy. You and I know the focus right now is straightening out the cap, until then this is what we should come to expect. Its hard to make any significant moves with zero room. Once Hossa's money is free and Kruger is moved there will be some room to breath and make proper additions to this team, for now Sharp is ok for a team that is weak in its bottom 6.

Hawkey1 said on 4 minutes ago:

I don't mind having Sharp back, particularly at <$1m per but they really need help up the middle and on the blue line....this addresses neither of these issues.

Cant address those isues without cap space, you are asking foe something that isn't there. Until Kruger is moved and Hossa money comes available dont expect miracles. What do you want, Nick Bonino, and tell me where is the team getting money for that?

hawkinmontreal said on 2 minutes ago:

Granada have some faith buddy. You and I know the focus right now is straightening out the cap, until then this is what we should come to expect. Its hard to make any significant moves with zero room. Once Hossa's money is free and Kruger is moved there will be some room to breath and make proper additions to this team, for now Sharp is ok for a team that is weak in its bottom 6.

Fair enough, HIM. I was actually for every other Hawk retread (Campbell, Oduya, Ladd, Versteeg, etc.) and none of them worked out, so now that I'm against this particular retread, that can only mean that it should work out.

I guess I just hope this isn't a "last stop" year for Sharp. Honestly, I don't see why the guy would want to come back, after the hip surgery and the multiple concussions he had last year. It feels like a last kick at the can, and most times, those are never good. 

• Upvote 1

hawkinmontreal said on 1 minute ago:

Cant address those isues without cap space, you are asking foe something that isn't there. Until Kruger is moved and Hossa money comes available dont expect miracles. What do you want, Nick Bonino, and tell me where is the team getting money for that?

Whoa relax....where did I ever say I'm expecting miracles.  Clearly the team has cap issues & first order of business is to clear space. Explain how adding a 35 yr old winger coming off a concussion & hip surgery plus trading a center helps address the cap issues. 

Sure there are more trade possibilities (besides Kruger) but in my mind Sharpe isnt a candidate to bring back much of a return,

all im saying is this doesn't directly address most pressing needs...only adds to an already tight cap issue.

Granada said on 4 minutes ago:

Fair enough, HIM. I was actually for every other Hawk retread (Campbell, Oduya, Ladd, Versteeg, etc.) and none of them worked out, so now that I'm against this particular retread, that can only mean that it should work out.

I guess I just hope this isn't a "last stop" year for Sharp. Honestly, I don't see why the guy would want to come back, after the hip surgery and the multiple concussions he had last year. It feels like a last kick at the can, and most times, those are never good. 

I agree, the only thing I see from this is Sharps love and passion for the Hawks, He never wanted to leave and maybe his heart was never involved in Dallas, and from what I have heard, Stan promised to bring Sharp back when he waa shipped out and I think this is Stan sticking to his word.

• Upvote 1

Hawkey1 said on 1 minute ago:

Whoa relax....where did I ever say I'm expecting miracles.  Clearly the team has cap issues & first order of business is to clear space. Explain how adding a 35 yr old winger coming off a concussion & hip surgery plus trading a center helps address the cap issues. 

Sure there are more trade possibilities (besides Kruger) but in my mind Sharpe isnt a candidate to bring back much of a return,

all im saying is this doesn't directly address most pressing needs...only adds to an already tight cap issue.

From what I heard, and read when Sharp was sent out to Dallas a few years back Stan assured him he can come back and finish his career in Chicago with his friends and family. At 1million dollars its not bad, Hawks know what they are getting and maybe he can inject some passion back into this team that has been lacking the last 2 seasons.

hawkinmontreal said on 2 minutes ago:

From what I heard, and read when Sharp was sent out to Dallas a few years back Stan assured him he can come back and finish his career in Chicago with his friends and family. At 1million dollars its not bad, Hawks know what they are getting and maybe he can inject some passion back into this team that has been lacking the last 2 seasons.

Fair enough HiM...and I really do hope you're right. Interesting point about passion, it did seem to be lacking during the last 2 PO series.

Hawkey1 said on Just now:

Fair enough HiM...and I really do hope you're right. Interesting point about passion, it did seem to be lacking during the last 2 PO series.

If you watched the playoffs this year and had the chance to watch the Penguins, as much as I dislike that team even with Letang out, Bonino injured, Murray out for some time , you saw the drive and passion, they wanted it at all costs even though it meant for there captain to play out of his mind, failure was not in the cards. That was the passion and drive the Hawks had before Stan opened up the vault and handed out contracts and money like it was candy on Halloween.

mvr said on 1 hour ago:

By the time Kempny and Rutta are no longer liabilities, they won't be here.   Should they develop this year, they will command far too much money moving forward for the Hawks.

so they will either suck or we can*t afford them.

sorry mvr but you should try on the rose colored glasses at least once in a while.

• Upvote 1

galaxytrash said on 13 minutes ago:

so they will either suck or we can*t afford them.

sorry mvr but you should try on the rose colored glasses at least once in a while.

You both bring valid points, but I'm gonna go middle of the road, best case scenario is that they play decent and show strides of being an everyday NHL player. Then we can re-sign them both for reasonable contracts and move forward with them. But I don't believe that Campbell and or Oduya are bad assets to have. One year deals, and get Roszival outta here. Keith, Seabs, Murphy, Oduya, Kempny, Rutta and Campbell are a very serviceable bunch and should provide the coaches with many options and be able to eat up minutes when needed!!!

• Upvote 1

mvr said on 2 hours ago:

Oduya was hurt when he arrived here and never got back up to speed.  Before the injury, he was playing in Dallas' top four.   Campbell played in the Hawks top four most of the year (in front of Kempny).  

Both are much better players right now than what Stan has made available.    I have little confidence in guys coming from Europe in their mid to late twenties who have never played in the AHL much less the NHL

Oduya was hurt in 2015 as well, notice a trend? The guy is small, old, and done.