The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
galaxytrash

Patrick Sharp is coming to town.

Image result for patrick sharp is coming to town gif

anyone know if he*ll be good to go for training camp?

i*ve had a wee look out there and can*t find anything yet.

edit: i did read where ales hemsky had similar surgery and was expected to miss 5 to 6 months.

so sharp had his surgery at the end of march so maybe we can expect him ready august or september? hemsky nearly 2 years younger but hopefully similar timelines.

fingers crossed he*s good to go and the concussion problems are well in the past.

Edited by galaxytrash
  • Upvote 1

Rozsival, Ladd, Oduya, Campbell, Sharp ... Hawks decides to move in the circle instead of moving forward.It's not about low cap hit but also about limited roster/lineup spots and ice time.How can young players get better if they sit in the pressbox or don't play NHL at all ? At least Saad could be the same good player as he used to be two years ago...

65040dd0e5550fb77eb34ee33d961737.jpg

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 4

Modry-Jazyk said on 13 minutes ago:

Rozsival, Ladd, Oduya, Campbell, Sharp ... recycling old friends ... so Hawks decides to move in the circle instead of moving forward.It's not about low cap hit but also about limited roster/lineup spots and ice time.How can young players get better if they sit in the pressbox or don't play NHL at all ? At least Saad could be the same good player as he used to be two years ago...

Rozsival isn't recycled, he never left, Stan for some stupid reason keeps signing him.

And Saad is just entering his prime so he'll probably be better than 2yrs ago.

I don't mind Sharp coming back with Hoss gone, he's a solid 2way player and he's ahead of schedule with his recovery, plus his salary really helps the team.

• Upvote 4

OldTimeHawky said on 24 minutes ago:

Rozsival isn't recycled, he never left, Stan for some stupid reason keeps signing him.

And Saad is just entering his prime so he'll probably be better than 2yrs ago.

I don't mind Sharp coming back with Hoss gone, he's a solid 2way player and he's ahead of schedule with his recovery, plus his salary really helps the team.

I know, but Hawks are recycling his contract every year.This could be another roster spot lost,if Hawks will have only 22-man roster instead of 23-man, that would promote Rozsival from dman #8 to to #7.

Saad is fine, I said it.

Salary isn't the point here, but roster spot and ice time lost to a player w/o perspective.Sharp can't replace DJ or Tootoo but only guys like Schmaltz, Hartman, Hayden or Jurco.Now with Saad as fixed top LW, 1/2 of these young wingers will have to sit.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

i see why people might be against this but he is one season removed from a 2O goal 55 point campaign.

if he indeed is asking for a million or less you have to take a chance.

people out there are saying he could sign for 2 or 3 million elsewhere so that tells me that he wants to finish up here and that he thinks he can help the team succeed.

Modry-Jazyk said on 1 hour ago:

I know, but Hawks are recycling his contract every year.This could be another roster spot lost,if Hawks will have only 22-man roster instead of 23-man, that would promote Rozsival from dman #8 to to #7.

Saad is fine, I said it.

Salary isn't the point here, but roster spot and ice time lost to a player w/o perspective.Sharp can't replace DJ or Tootoo but only guys like Schmaltz, Hartman, Hayden or Jurco.Now with Saad as fixed top LW, 1/2 of these young wingers will have to sit.

True, that's one contract I'm tired of seeing recycled. 

And I know you didn't say anything bad regarding Saad but you said he could be the same good player from 2yrs ago, I think he could be better, especially going to another team and being more relied upon and having a 30g season. 

But I totally agree about older guys taking roster spots from young guys, I'd rather see Desi and Tootoo gone so the young guys can play full time but Sharp is basically taking Hossas spot, I don't have a problem with that. 

• Upvote 2

OldTimeHawky said on 12 minutes ago:

True, that's one contract I'm tired of seeing recycled. 

And I know you didn't say anything bad regarding Saad but you said he could be the same good player from 2yrs ago, I think he could be better, especially going to another team and being more relied upon and having a 30g season. 

But I totally agree about older guys taking roster spots from young guys, I'd rather see Desi and Tootoo gone so the young guys can play full time but Sharp is basically taking Hossas spot, I don't have a problem with that. 

thats a good point.

like i said....there are people that won*t be on board with this and that*s cool but in this particular case i think the upside heavily outweighs the downside.

if he gets concussed in game 1 or blows his hip out in game 3...i would still argue it was worth a shot.

worst case scenario the team is out a million or whatever and no bonuses get paid out. and then the young guys can have a go.

• Upvote 3

Seems like he's done and I'm not crazy about the signing but if he's healthy and can help the Hawks for a million a year then its worth it any more than that its not worth the risk

yep i see both pros and cons..  i myself like this if he can still play

where i think he may help the most is off the ice..  something was definitely missing in the playoffs last year, and i think it was off ice issues

and i am sure the female Hawks fans will have no problem with this!  ;)

1Shot1Goal said on 1 minute ago:

Talk is 1 year at 1 mill

Well if he really wants to give a hometown discount he should go with his #10 not #11

So how about 1 year 0 mil :D

I like this move. It gives flexibility with Q loving his line combinations. He can move Sharp from 3rd line to 1st. He replaces Hossa in terms of leadership on and off the ice, and also another of Toews and Kanes favorite teammates. Sharp could play LW next to Toews and Saad, moving Panik down to LW with Kane and Anisimov. Or he could move into the spot vacated by Panarin and play LW with Kane and Anisimov. It also gives Q the flexibility to give a kid a shot on the top 2 lines, knowing he has Sharp to fall back on if they don't work out.

Now another move I'd love to see is the Hawks let TooToo go and go after Hartnell. I think he's be a much better option for 3rd/4th line. He's more physical then TooToo and can still put the puck in the net. He's 6'2 and 35 years old compared to TooToo at 5'9" and 34 years old. He just got bought out from Columbus so he could come cheap.

Good move by Stan if the dollars work.   I still want Hartnell as well as Oduya and perhaps Campbell.  

Let's get some legitimate talent at the bottom of the lineup for cheap and get rid of the deadwood.

Edited by mvr

Modry-Jazyk said on 6 hours ago:

Rozsival, Ladd, Oduya, Campbell, Sharp ... Hawks decides to move in the circle instead of moving forward.It's not about low cap hit but also about limited roster/lineup spots and ice time.How can young players get better if they sit in the pressbox or don't play NHL at all ? At least Saad could be the same good player as he used to be two years ago...

65040dd0e5550fb77eb34ee33d961737.jpg

But you are ok with guys like Tootoo and Desjardins for basically the same salary.    I don't get it.

• Upvote 2

mvr said on Just now:

Good move by Stan if the dollars work.   I still want Hartnell as well as Oduya and perhaps Campbell.  

Let's get some talent at the legitimate bottom of the lineup for cheap and get rid of the deadwood.

MVR can we stop with the Campbell and Oduya talk, at one time they were very decent players but its time to move on from these guys, we cant expect to contend with a bunch of senior citizens on the backend. There are other options and better players to fill the role without recycling old players again

• Upvote 2

mvr said on 2 minutes ago:

Let's get some talent at the legitimate bottom of the lineup for cheap and get rid of the deadwood.

Only if Q limits their ice time and games. Let the kids get some NHL experience in the regular season and keep those 2 fresh for the PO's they looked tired and slow last year.

Oduya was hurt when he arrived here and never got back up to speed.  Before the injury, he was playing in Dallas' top four.   Campbell played in the Hawks top four most of the year (in front of Kempny).  

Both are much better players right now than what Stan has made available.    I have little confidence in guys coming from Europe in their mid to late twenties who have never played in the AHL much less the NHL

• Upvote 2

Creature1958 said on 5 minutes ago:

Only if Q limits their ice time and games. Let the kids get some NHL experience in the regular season and keep those 2 fresh for the PO's they looked tired and slow last year.

If we are talking about Forsling, sure.   Kempny and Rutta will be UFAs next year.

mvr said on 6 minutes ago:

But you are ok with guys like Tootoo and Desjardins for basically the same salary.    I don't get it.

Those 2 certainly are head scratchers as far as players but I can see why Stan likes to keep them around and that is them as humans. They may not be the best players but as people they can show younger players the right attitude in the locker room.

So can veteran players with talent such as Sharp and Oduya.

mvr said on 2 minutes ago:

If we are talking about Forsling, sure.   Kempny and Rutta will be UFAs next year.

If Campbel and Oduya are fresh for the PO's I'm fine where they finish in the regular season as long as they make the PO's. You don't win cups in Oct. Nov. Dec. so see what the youth can do in that time and make your PO push in Jan. At some point those 2 will need to be replaced.

mvr said on 3 minutes ago:

Oduya was hurt when he arrived here and never got back up to speed.  Before the injury, he was playing in Dallas' top four.   Campbell played in the Hawks top four most of the year (in front of Kempny).  

Both are much better players right now than what Stan has made available.    I have little confidence in guys coming from Europe in their mid to late twenties who have never played in the AHL much less the NHL

Your selling Kempny and Rutta short MVR, yes they are a work in progress but the are bigger, stronger play with grit and arent afraid to get nasty when its time to play the likes of Nashville, St Louis, Anaheim, San Jose. Just remember this, everyone was selling Ellis short in Nashville a few years ago and with the right coaching and direction he has become an elite defender in the league. This team has to stop moving backwards and start moving forward, what was then is not now anymore.

Creature1958 said on 1 minute ago:

If Campbel and Oduya are fresh for the PO's I'm fine where they finish in the regular season as long as they make the PO's. You don't win cups in Oct. Nov. Dec. so see what the youth can do in that time and make your PO push in Jan. At some point those 2 will need to be replaced.

Hawks need to move away from these paper weights, the defence needs some physicality and guys who are willing to get dirty and quit frankly Campbell and Oduya are past that stage.

mvr said on 4 minutes ago:

So can veteran players with talent such as Sharp and Oduya.

Which now gives Stan a green light to let them go now that they are here. I'm sure the organization can find some type of work for them off the ice to help develop the youth.

By the time Kempny and Rutta are no longer liabilities, they won't be here.   Should they develop this year, they will command far too much money moving forward for the Hawks.

Forsling is the one to develop,  The Hawks can hold on to him for several years.

• Upvote 3