The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
galaxytrash

Hossa done?

I'm guessing that today is opening day and the 'hawks don't play, so they could put him on LTIR straight away...

Good lord, I'm starting to sound like yoop!

• Like 1

Really, the way this works with Hossa, his contract is not much if any of a hindrance. Yes I know the off-season part, but you're allowed to go over the cap by 10% until the end of camp. Right now 10% is a solid 7.5 million, Hossa's money is 5.275. There really isn't much of a problem!!!

OldTimeHawky said on 16 hours ago:

Same here, I'm confused. 

Granada said on 22 hours ago:

WTF is going on? Does anyone actually know? I thought he couldn't go on until after the 1st game of the season. They make this zit way too complicated.

The NHL's first game of the season, not the Blackhawks.

• Like 1

Puckjim said on 40 minutes ago:

The NHL's first game of the season, not the Blackhawks.

Originally they said after the Hawks first regular season game. 

OldTimeHawky said on 56 minutes ago:

Originally they said after the Hawks first regular season game. 

I could be wrong, but the players are paid twice a month, the salary cap is calculated daily. So the day the NHL season starts, is the day that the Hawks can put guys on LTIR, or any team for that matter. So it appears the Hawks did just that!!!

Modry-Jazyk said on 6 hours ago:

still the Hawk.

26731177_1476291282470019_52650129606794

Nice!!!

For the top-right photo...if that teacher was in Chicago, they need to be fired...:P

And I hope to all that which does no suck was that not Gig who marked that!!!!

LordKOTL said on 13 minutes ago:

Nice!!!

For the top-right photo...if that teacher was in Chicago, they need to be fired...:P

Definitely Gig

LordKOTL said on 5 hours ago:

Nice!!!

Wrong they got Tenure. 

Maggie's counting result made my day :D

FYI - Hossa recently stated in an interview that there is no way to return for the playoffs this year. Playoff games are too intense for a player without a regular training. Especially considering his age. However, he said he'd still would like to return. But imho it's just a theater for the media. I don't believe he'll return. Would be more than glad to be wrong...

• Like 1

I don't agree. I think that he is being honest and he really does want to come back and give it one more go before officially hanging 'em up. I kinda doubt it happens, but don't think his statement is disingenuous. 

• Upvote 1

vadarx said on 3 minutes ago:

I don't agree. I think that he is being honest and he really does want to come back and give it one more go before officially hanging 'em up. I kinda doubt it happens, but don't think his statement is disingenuous. 

Marian is a class act and I believe is true what he says. He loves this sport and I'm sure he'd like to play forever. But he's not 20 anymore, has a wife, kids maybe some other interests. Therefore I don't believe he would return to a life of a PRO player.

• Like 1

I don't think it's "disingenous," but I agree with Jaty...disingenuous is too harsh a term. I just think he's saying "the door's always open" as opposed to flat-out saying "no, I'm done." It's the nicer way to do it, so to speak. A lot of people tend to do this; maybe they don't want to let the fans down, etc.

jaty84 said on 11 minutes ago:

Marian is a class act and I believe is true what he says. He loves this sport and I'm sure he'd like to play forever. But he's not 20 anymore, has a wife, kids maybe some other interests. Therefore I don't believe he would return to a life of a PRO player.

I hear ya and perhaps I am wrong,  perhaps he knew last year that it was his last hurrah and is fine with that. I just feel like he is being honest that would like to come back. whether he believes that he will actually do that could be a different story. could very well just be window dressing. not a bad gig, a million bucks a year for just saying he wants to come back on occasion.

Edited by vadarx

LordKOTL said on On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM:

Nice!!!

I would have given the kid an A and put it on his sweater just below his left shoulder.

• Like 2

Granada said on On 2018-01-12 at 4:56 PM:

I don't think it's "disingenous," but I agree with Jaty...disingenuous is too harsh a term. I just think he's saying "the door's always open" as opposed to flat-out saying "no, I'm done." It's the nicer way to do it, so to speak. A lot of people tend to do this; maybe they don't want to let the fans down, etc.

I don’t know why anyone would call the guy out, those contracts were totally legal when he signed it. He more than likely wanted to be done when the money went to 1 million. They probably agreed on that, and the league made it very difficult on them. If the NHL is going to allow LTIR, why not erase the rule they put in, and let them retire with dignity? They’re punishing players and fans for a loophole they left open!!!

• Like 1

GigECJ said on 17 hours ago:

I would have given the kid an A and put it on his sweater just below his left shoulder.

You deserve tenure for that comment :)

Big-T said on 13 hours ago:

I don’t know why anyone would call the guy out, those contracts were totally legal when he signed it. He more than likely wanted to be done when the money went to 1 million. They probably agreed on that, and the league made it very difficult on them. If the NHL is going to allow LTIR, why not erase the rule they put in, and let them retire with dignity? They’re punishing players and fans for a loophole they left open!!!

I think they intentionally left the loophole in.  Spitballing, of course.  But I think the league didn't want to throw the book at teams that had a recapture deal outright.

Hell, Crosby's on one and you know Count Von Buttman would never do anything to tip the balance against the Pens and Crosby, right?  So let's hypothetically say that Crosby gets one more concussion and wants to call it quits before 2023.  The cap advantage for the next 3 seasons would be 5.7M, which could potentially ruin any rebuild the Pens would be on.  Thus, they took the Pronger out where he's on LTIR and allowed the fake retirement "burying" just to let those contracts go quietly into the night.  At the same time, they disallowed any more recapture contracts.

My $0.02.  I think though any fan can see that their posturing was worth nothing, though.

It would be nice to get rid of that penalty as there’s very few of those contracts left. Hossa will be in the Hall of Fame and won’t be able to retire for four more years and won’t be able to enter the Hall probably for 4-8 years after that. It’s just wasting time, and the  Hall of Fame is definitely for the player, but without the fans, who the hell would even care? This is where the nhl is wrong, give the fans what they want!!!

Big-T said on 28 minutes ago:

It would be nice to get rid of that penalty as there’s very few of those contracts left. Hossa will be in the Hall of Fame and won’t be able to retire for four more years and won’t be able to enter the Hall probably for 4-8 years after that. It’s just wasting time, and the  Hall of Fame is definitely for the player, but without the fans, who the hell would even care? This is where the nhl is wrong, give the fans what they want!!!

I'm betting they take care of this with the next collective bargaining agreement

If he doesnt return to the NHL, and he still wants to skate, I may just have  spot on our bar league team for him. Would have to move some guys around, but I think we can fit him in...

Big-T said on 1 hour ago:

Somehow I think forcing Bettman to run the gauntlet and then run over by a zamboni would be viewed negatively by the authorities...but I know that's what the fans want. :)  That and the senseless slaughter of the gutterslime that litters this nation for cash and prizes.

I don't necessarily disagree, I just think that's what the league was thinking.

Puckjim said on 1 hour ago:

I'm betting they take care of this with the next collective bargaining agreement

I think by the time that happens, most if not all of the recapture risk contracts are gone or near gone. Plus, there are no more of those coming out...so even though, say, Seabs has a cap-advantage contract, if he would retire there's be no recapture.  Ditto with Toews and Kane.

I do like the “Slaughter Rama” reference. Especially if Gary is on that show!!!

• Like 1

M. Lazerus article

498967372_57817209.jpg

"The impact of Hossa’s de facto retirement (he’s sitting out this season with a skin condition, but nobody expects him to return next season at age 39) is immeasurable. Even at his age, he was one of the top two-way forwards in the league.

He scored 26 goals last season; only Patrick Kane and Alex DeBrincat are on such a pace this season. He was virtually impossible to knock off the puck in the offensive zone. He could chase down players half his age on the back-check, a safety net for forwards, defensemen and goalies alike. He killed penalties and played on the power play. And the ripple effect of removing him from the lineup is felt on every line."

the rest :

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/marian-hossas-absence-looms-large-over-blackhawks-trying-season/amp/

well, at least he won't finish his NHL career as unwanted player on waivers and will get the opportunity to say good bye to fans.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

Modry-Jazyk said on 41 minutes ago:

M. Lazerus article

498967372_57817209.jpg

"The impact of Hossa’s de facto retirement (he’s sitting out this season with a skin condition, but nobody expects him to return next season at age 39) is immeasurable. Even at his age, he was one of the top two-way forwards in the league.

He scored 26 goals last season; only Patrick Kane and Alex DeBrincat are on such a pace this season. He was virtually impossible to knock off the puck in the offensive zone. He could chase down players half his age on the back-check, a safety net for forwards, defensemen and goalies alike. He killed penalties and played on the power play. And the ripple effect of removing him from the lineup is felt on every line."

the rest :

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/marian-hossas-absence-looms-large-over-blackhawks-trying-season/amp/

well, at least he won't finish his NHL career as unwanted player on waivers and will get the opportunity to say good bye to fans.

great article although it merely echoed what I've been thinking all season