The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Modry-Jazyk said on 1 hour ago:

If Rutta would good enough for D6 spot, then Hawks would not need sign another RD Franson but focus on left side of defense .... after Keith and Kempny there is only Forsling and Gus in the AHL.

A team can never have enough experienced depth, especially with defensemen.  Rutta is waivers exempt so he can be platooned.  If Franson indeed is signed, he could either play or be scratched.  I still marvel at what Pittsburgh was able to accomplish with all this f their injuries late last season.

yooper496 said on 19 minutes ago:

A team can never have enough experienced depth, especially with defensemen.  Rutta is waivers exempt so he can be platooned.  If Franson indeed is signed, he could either play or be scratched.  I still marvel at what Pittsburgh was able to accomplish with all this f their injuries late last season.

true, but free cap is limited (up to 4M,  22-man roster w/o Franson), it's ie enough to sign one new 4M player OR one new 2M player plus one 2M upgrade.So you have to choose where and what to fix.Also moving Rutta down to RF would not create any additional space, as roster would be cut minus 1 player to 21.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

Modry-Jazyk said on 1 minute ago:

true, but free cap is limited (up to 4M,  22-man roster w/o Franson), it's ie enough to sign one new 2M player plus one 2M upgrade.So you have to choose where and what to fix.

Absolutely!  

Modry-Jazyk said on 3 hours ago:

If Rutta would good enough for D6 spot, then Hawks would not need sign another RD Franson but focus on left side of defense .... after Keith and Kempny there is only Forsling and Gus in the AHL.

Better to have to many then not enough and there is more then Forsling and Gus, Snuggerud looks better than Kemp, Fors, and Gus plus there's Oesterle who impressed Q last night and Dahlstrom looks to be close as well as Norell. It's not as bad as you think.

And I'm still unsure about Svedberg but Ulf seems to like the big Swede. Plenty of options.

• Like 1

OldTimeHawky said on 3 minutes ago:

Better to have to many then not enough and there is more then Forsling and Gus, Snuggerud looks better than Kemp, Fors, and Gus plus there's Oesterle who impressed Q last night and Dahlstrom looks to be close as well as Norell. It's not as bad as you think.

And I'm still unsure about Svedberg but Ulf seems to like the big Swede. Plenty of options.

maybe i got the rose colored contacts in or took too big of a pull off of the koolaid jug...but are we all of the sudden kind've deep on defense?

if so...how/when the hell did that happen?  

it's too early i know.... 

• Upvote 1

galaxytrash said on 4 hours ago:

maybe i got the rose colored contacts in or took too big of a pull off of the koolaid jug...but are we all of the sudden kind've deep on defense?

if so...how/when the hell did that happen?  

it's too early i know.... 

I've been saying all summer we aren't as bad on D as some seem to think, some guys may need more seasoning in Rockford or time to adjust to the Hawks system but we now how depth on D thanks to Stan signing free agents and drafting. He also did a good job adding depth in net. 

Or maybe I had to much Koolaid as well 😁

• Like 2

Oesterle is a right shot but supposedly can play either side. Snuggerud is LD but he's injured and I haven't heard the prognosis, plus he's still probably too raw. And isn't Forsling a LD? So we have some options for LD behind Keith and Kempny.

At this point, I'm leaning toward using Hossa LTIR cap space to try to acquire a top-4 d-man to go with 2/5/7, rather than acquire a forward. Course, the good news is that Stan need not rush into doing anything until after a bunch of games are played and a team assessment can be made.

I think Murphy will be OK with Keith on the top pairing and Kempny-Rutta would be a good third pairing so it would be ideal to pick up a solid partner for Seabrook on the 2nd pairing. 

EbonyRaptor said on 5 hours ago:

At this point, I'm leaning toward using Hossa LTIR cap space to try to acquire a top-4 d-man to go with 2/5/7, rather than acquire a forward. Course, the good news is that Stan need not rush into doing anything until after a bunch of games are played and a team assessment can be made.

I think Murphy will be OK with Keith on the top pairing and Kempny-Rutta would be a good third pairing so it would be ideal to pick up a solid partner for Seabrook on the 2nd pairing. 

Top 4 would be a great idea, but who is available.

EbonyRaptor said on 5 hours ago:

Oesterle is a right shot but supposedly can play either side. Snuggerud is LD but he's injured and I haven't heard the prognosis, plus he's still probably too raw. And isn't Forsling a LD? So we have some options for LD behind Keith and Kempny.

Oesterle is a lefty and played LD last game. I agree Snuggy is still raw but so was Forsling last season and he still got a look. 

In Q's press conference he said he really liked Jordans game plus he said Svedberg was good as well, so like you said, there's options. Plus Gus was solid 2yrs ago so he's still an option. 

But if Stan does use Hossas cap space I'd rather see him get a proven top 4 lefty to play with Seabs.

And if Pokka plays strong in the preseason Stan just might let Franson go or else he'll have to put VP on waivers and someone will take him. Or package Pokka with a forward and send him back to NY for Leddy.

OldTimeHawky said on 37 minutes ago:

Oesterle is a lefty and played LD last game. I agree Snuggy is still raw but so was Forsling last season and he still got a look. 

In Q's press conference he said he really liked Jordans game plus he said Svedberg was good as well, so like you said, there's options. Plus Gus was solid 2yrs ago so he's still an option. 

But if Stan does use Hossas cap space I'd rather see him get a proven top 4 lefty to play with Seabs.

And if Pokka plays strong in the preseason Stan just might let Franson go or else he'll have to put VP on waivers and someone will take him. Or package Pokka with a forward and send him back to NY for Leddy.

Cant afford leddy

hawkinmontreal said on 7 minutes ago:

Cant afford leddy

Yes they can once Hoss is on LTIR, and whoever Stan trades it'll be around 2-3 million if it's a package of guys like Hino, Pokka, and maybe a 3rd guy like Svedberg or Gus. He only makes 5.5 for 5 more years.

I agree with the sentiment that Chicago may be lacking a 2LD at this point.  If that slot is shored up, this could be another special season.  If it isn't, Crow&Co will need to be razor sharp all year.  

hawkinmontreal said on 5 hours ago:

Top 4 would be a great idea, but who is available.

Right - that's the difficult part. To get someone good enough to play 2nd pairing you need more than "just" cap space. Who/what would have to be used from the Hawk's cache of players and draft picks to acquire such a player?

EbonyRaptor said on 4 hours ago:

Right - that's the difficult part. To get someone good enough to play 2nd pairing you need more than "just" cap space. Who/what would have to be used from the Hawk's cache of players and draft picks to acquire such a player?

Jason garrison, but that's more of a TDL acquisition and a short term PO help

Leddy would be nice, but with Q as coach who prefers quality defensive players, highly unlikely.

trade Pokka out, he is a bust. get something before the entire league figure it out

I read the article about winners and losers of the preseason, so far, and it had Kempny as one of the losers. Is this pretty accurate? It also had Rutta as one of the winners

If it's accurate about Kempny, what effect will it have on the competition for spots right behind the top 3?

Since Stan just traded away a top 4 dman 3 months ago, and got a dman in return that's making nearly as much as NH, my guess is Stan won't be looking for a top 4 guy. I think it's up to the guys already here.

Suppose Stan did try to get a top 4 dman; what if the other team insisted Stan include Roszival in the deal. :o

Granada said on 35 minutes ago:

I may be the only one, but I would not want Leddy back. I do not miss him getting manhandled down low.

I agree.  So far it looks like Forsling can do that.

• Like 1

yooper496 said on On 9/23/2017 at 8:46 AM:

I agree with the sentiment that Chicago may be lacking a 2LD at this point.  If that slot is shored up, this could be another special season.  If it isn't, Crow&Co will need to be razor sharp all year.  

...So no different than the past 3 seasons.

Yea we were all a little bit impressed with this guys game ..... What did people really like?  He plays a very methodical step by step game ....He uses a lot of protocols to finish each play or any given on ice moment.... Best Wishes and Luck  the only reason i post this is  yea we like the fancy in between the lines seatbelt and rear view mirror checks  ...Might still need to produce in spots... Different Young guy same spots may turn into a Seabrook or Kieth 

just hyperbole    I like the guy how he moves and his technique   Lets see his shot and how he passes ...moves 

PuckProphet said on 2 hours ago:

Yea we were all a little bit impressed with this guys game ..... What did people really like?  He plays a very methodical step by step game ....He uses a lot of protocols to finish each play or any given on ice moment.... Best Wishes and Luck  the only reason i post this is  yea we like the fancy in between the lines seatbelt and rear view mirror checks  ...Might still need to produce in spots... Different Young guy same spots may turn into a Seabrook or Kieth 

just hyperbole    I like the guy how he moves and his technique   Lets see his shot and how he passes ...moves 

Huh?  

He looks to be consistent so far against preseason competition on a bigger sheet of ice.  #4 is completely stretching it...most likely a good #5 or #6.  May turn into a Seabrook or Keith?

• Upvote 1

iknowpuck said on 3 hours ago:

Huh?  

He looks to be consistent so far against preseason competition on a bigger sheet of ice.  #4 is completely stretching it...most likely a good #5 or #6.  May turn into a Seabrook or Keith?

i was trying to be delicate in saying..  Rutta is a very polished player that has yet to show any real brilliance  rather a very clever defensive play .....To me Seabrook or Kieth are still someone to strive to be like ....... Still Forsling will get recalled thought he was staying in Rockford .... what i was really getting at mostly in private conversations and emails  The sink or swim time  the last of the Ice Hog prospects old prospects is Viktor Svedberg 6.9  240  Personally speaking i would get the kid some NHL games under his belt  let him get burned or whatever to get experience to become a Kieth Chara or Seabrook Goes for all these log jams ....l