The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

NextDynasty said on 5 minutes ago:

The pressbox roster is shaping up nicely! #freshlegs

• Upvote 1

I'm cautiously optimistic about this guy because to me, he's simply the new Kempny this year (a D-man who was expected to have an immediate impact, which didn't pan out as advertised in Kempny's case), but if anything, it's a good thing the Hawks didn't lose out on him to any other contenders vying for him. Hopefully, the contract is cheap and well-structured.

Edited by Granada

One year deal might mean pressure from the front office to give him ice time  to see if he'd be worth extending.

Edited by NextDynasty
  • Upvote 1

I guess the question now is, do the Hawks feel like this is all they need as far as the D goes. Assuming he isn't brought back (which at this point, I don't believe he should be), Campbell will probably retire; Oduya will probably be left to walk. Are we comfortable with the D-Lines something like the following:

Keith/Hammer

Seabrook/Forsling

Rutta/Kempny

Gustaffson, Roszi.

I don't know -- to me, that's not necessarily an improvement. I feel better if TVR was in this mix and not traded, but if the rumors are true with Vegas, he's gone.

Edited by Granada
  • Upvote 1

Granada said on 47 minutes ago:

I guess the question now is, do the Hawks feel like this is all they need as far as the D goes. Assuming he isn't brought back (which at this point, I don't believe he should be), Campbell will probably retire; Oduya will probably be left to walk. Are we comfortable with the D-Lines something like the following:

Keith/Hammer

Seabrook/Forsling

Rutta/Kempny

Gustaffson, Roszi.

I don't know -- to me, that's not necessarily an improvement. I feel better if TVR was in this mix and not traded, but if the rumors are true with Vegas, he's gone.

I don't think a massive improvement via moves of any type is in the cards for the D.  Unless Stan somehow managed to wing a virtually impossible EA Sports move (like Kruger for Alzner straight up), The D is going to be what it is going to be because of 2, 4 & 7.  The D will go as they go.

That being said, if anything Rutta may mitigate the loss of TVR.  With the cap as-is, the players and their movability what they are, IMHO it's unlikely the 'hawks can bring in a RH Hjammer clone--even a 2011/2012 RH Hjammer clone.  So I don't think the question is "do the 'hawks feel this is all they need", but "Is there anything more the 'hawks can realistically do".

I think improvement on D is going to hinge less on incoming talent and more on the talent we have not being completely FUBAR in the backend like we've been for the last 2 seasons.

As for Ruuta?  Decent enough pickup.  Should mitigate the loss of TVR, Soupy, or Oduya.

As the English translation of Rutta is not Keith Q is not going to play him.  Ever think StanBo loses his mind when Q just wrecks the plan and the players?   By season's end Q had all the new and young players messed up.  

LordKOTL said on 2 hours ago:

I don't think a massive improvement via moves of any type is in the cards for the D.  Unless Stan somehow managed to wing a virtually impossible EA Sports move (like Kruger for Alzner straight up), The D is going to be what it is going to be because of 2, 4 & 7.  The D will go as they go.

That being said, if anything Rutta may mitigate the loss of TVR.  With the cap as-is, the players and their movability what they are, IMHO it's unlikely the 'hawks can bring in a RH Hjammer clone--even a 2011/2012 RH Hjammer clone.  So I don't think the question is "do the 'hawks feel this is all they need", but "Is there anything more the 'hawks can realistically do".

I think improvement on D is going to hinge less on incoming talent and more on the talent we have not being completely FUBAR in the backend like we've been for the last 2 seasons.

As for Ruuta?  Decent enough pickup.  Should mitigate the loss of TVR, Soupy, or Oduya.

I don't either but I wouldn't say it's out of the question for him to go the UFA market for a cheap vet d-man. That would be realistic.

We don't really know yet if Rutta will mitigate that loss or if he'll be another Kempny; I suppose that's why I am hoping we can somehow keep TVR -- he'd be more of an insurance policy if Rutta doesn't assimilate well in the NHL.

One year deal, at $925 K.  Then the player becomes a UFA.

I will ask the same question I did in the Kempny thread.   Is this the best UFA available willing to sign a one year deal at this price?   

I believe he is not.  

I would much rather Bowman divide the $1.825 M differently.   Instead of splitting the dollars in half on two unproven assets, why not concentrate it more on one player and get someone with more of a track record (or a player willing to commit to more than one year)? 

• Upvote 1

^ Agreed. This is why I was against the Panik deal also -- he should have taken that money and used it to obtain a bonafide top 6 winger with the money that he will get by trading Kruger/TVR.

Keith - Seabs

Forsling - Hammer

Kemp - Rutta

Could switch Seabs and Rutta for balance.

Not sure that's what it will end up looking like.

I don't blame the Hawks for trying out the guy, I really don't, maybe he's the next best thing? However, I do agree with MVR, mainly due to the fact that we need to strike now, rather than waste time on these unknowns, and take an attempt at developing them. I'm sure there's some NHL UFAs that could and would play for the 925 or even 1 million!!!

Big-T said on 48 minutes ago:

I don't blame the Hawks for trying out the guy, I really don't, maybe he's the next best thing? However, I do agree with MVR, mainly due to the fact that we need to strike now, rather than waste time on these unknowns, and take an attempt at developing them. I'm sure there's some NHL UFAs that could and would play for the 925 or even 1 million!!!

Let's see what Campbell and Oduya sign for.    

If either takes a one-year deal elsewhere at $1.25-1.5 M, I will be more than a bit frustrated.   Neither of these European league free agents is going to be better next year than the two proven NHL veterans (which is the only timeline that matters).    

The year after, all these players would be UFAs regardless.

Cap Friendly gave us the $925 K number.

Chris Kuc tells us differently.

Per Chris Kuc:
Signing Bonus: $92,500
NHL: $832,000
AHL: $70,000

"A" Bonuses: $425,000

How likely is the player to hit the bonuses?

• Upvote 2

iknowpuck said on 3 hours ago:

Keith - Seabs

Forsling - Hammer

Kemp - Rutta

Could switch Seabs and Rutta for balance.

Not sure that's what it will end up looking like.

If we go into the season like this, I think it will be a slight improvement, but not what we need to be playoff successful.  I think a trade for the Breadman could bring in a top defenseman to join the first or second line.  Then we let Forsling, Kempny, and Rutta battle it out for the spots on the last line. 

Foggyspal said on 8 minutes ago:

If we go into the season like this, I think it will be a slight improvement, but not what we need to be playoff successful.  I think a trade for the Breadman could bring in a top defenseman to join the first or second line.  Then we let Forsling, Kempny, and Rutta battle it out for the spots on the last line. 

I'm not a fan of trading in the same division but I'd trade Pan for Trouba.

I like this signing, another dman over 200lbs and he's mobile. Plus he's not past his prime like Campbell, Oduya, Rozsival, etc.

• Upvote 4

OldTimeHawky said on Just now:

I'm not a fan of trading in the same division but I'd trade Pan for Trouba.

I like this signing, another dman over 200lbs and he's mobile. Plus he's not past his prime like Campbell, Oduya, Rozsival, etc.

Agreed, and by the same token, a trade for Pietrangelo would work as well.  Not sure I want to put more talent on the Blues, but Pet would be a great addition. 

The problem here is that the team still does not have a number-four defenceman or a third-line centre.   Yet they are committing large cap space to an unproven Euro Free agent who might not be able to play in the league (and just about as much to a part-timer in Kempny).   

Where is the money going to come from for an experienced guy to play with Seabrook or Hjalmarsson?

One of my biggest beefs with Bowman stretching back to his earliest days here is that he overpays for bottom-tier talent.     This player, like Rundblad and Kempny before him, is not even assured a roster spot, and yet he paid as an everyday player.   Why pay Tootoo $700 K?  Who else would pay this player more than the minimum?   

I understand you have to pay for quality.   Nevertheless, I believe bottom-tier talent is not hard to find.  

This team spends big money every year on marginal talent.   What's worse is that they won't admit their mistakes after the roster is set and will stick with what they have all year even when the players under-perform.   There is very little experimentation or waiver wire moves.

The smart approach is to fill the bottom of the roster with minimum-wage players on one-year contracts (and move guys in and out throughout the year until you find a good fit).   Save all the extra cap space for the middle-third contracts (second pairing defencemen, third line checkers) - players who will play every day.    

• Upvote 1

mvr said on 1 hour ago:

The problem here is that the team still does not have a number-four defenceman or a third-line centre.   Yet they are committing large cap space to an unproven Euro Free agent who might not be able to play in the league (and just about as much to a part-timer in Kempny).   

Where is the money going to come from for an experienced guy to play with Seabrook or Hjalmarsson?

One of my biggest beefs with Bowman stretching back to his earliest days here is that he overpays for bottom-tier talent.     This player, like Rundblad and Kempny before him, is not even assured a roster spot, and yet he paid as an everyday player.   Why pay Tootoo $700 K?  Who else would pay this player more than the minimum?   

I understand you have to pay for quality.   Nevertheless, I believe bottom-tier talent is not hard to find.  

This team spends big money every year on marginal talent.   What's worse is that they won't admit their mistakes after the roster is set and will stick with what they have all year even when the players under-perform.   There is very little experimentation or waiver wire moves.

The smart approach is to fill the bottom of the roster with minimum-wage players on one-year contracts (and move guys in and out throughout the year until you find a good fit).   Save all the extra cap space for the middle-third contracts (second pairing defencemen, third line checkers) - players who will play every day.    

mvr:

I agree...there isn't a #4...yet.

Who is out there as a UFA to get for the 1,850,000 that is better than having these two players?

Both players are in "contract years" and should be playing for their future.

I also wonder if SB may be using Forsling as a sweetener.  Signing these two seems to send a message that the younger d-men aren't ready yet or may get moved.

If they play 3rd pairing minutes does it make us worse?  Kemp has some experience and we needed a right side d-man.

Not to excited...a bit of a gamble...but not a lot of other options without cap space...yet.

JMO.

Granada said on 20 hours ago:

I don't either but I wouldn't say it's out of the question for him to go the UFA market for a cheap vet d-man. That would be realistic.

We don't really know yet if Rutta will mitigate that loss or if he'll be another Kempny; I suppose that's why I am hoping we can somehow keep TVR -- he'd be more of an insurance policy if Rutta doesn't assimilate well in the NHL.

Considering how Oduya and Campbell played...Rutta has to try to be worse than those 2.

• Upvote 1

galaxytrash said on 11 hours ago:

Walsh is famous for promoting his clients over twitter, koodos to him for using social media to increase his clients' profile.

However, this is the type of response I would expect from the team.  For the upcoming season I am thinking Keith, Seabrook, Murphy and Kempny will make up the top 4, but after that it's wide open.  Barring a trade of UFA signing I would guess that Forsling and Rutta have the inside track on the 3rd pairing. 

DarthKane said on 8 hours ago:

Walsh is famous for promoting his clients over twitter, koodos to him for using social media to increase his clients' profile.

However, this is the type of response I would expect from the team.  For the upcoming season I am thinking Keith, Seabrook, Murphy and Kempny will make up the top 4, but after that it's wide open.  Barring a trade of UFA signing I would guess that Forsling and Rutta have the inside track on the 3rd pairing. 

yeah....it was a pretty generic response alright.

hopefully the guy pans out and there's one less question mark to start the season.

So far so good for Ruuta, good size, speed, and he's good with and without the puck. We'll see how he does vs bigger faster NHL forwards.

OldTimeHawky said on On 21. 9. 2017 at 2:21 PM:

So far so good for Ruuta, good size, speed, and he's good with and without the puck. We'll see how he does vs bigger faster NHL forwards.

If Rutta would good enough for D6 spot, then Hawks would not need sign another RD Franson but focus on left side of defense .... after Keith and Kempny there is only Forsling and Gus in the AHL.

• Upvote 1