Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EbonyRaptor

CHL Playoffs - Hawks Prospects

115 posts in this topic

Reporting on other games ... all of the Hawks prospects still alive in the CHL playoffs got a point tonight.

Debrincat with 1 assist in Erie's 5-1 win

Fortin with 1 assist in Rouyn Noranda's 6-2 win

Highmore and Noel each with 1 assist in St. John's 2-1 win

Dahlstrom with 1 goal, Medicine Hat leading 3-0 after 2 periods.

Edited by EbonyRaptor

ER, thanks for the info. I've been curious about Dahlstrom and how his development has been going. I was reading about him in Hockeys Future and they talked very highly of his scoring abilities, calling him a natural scorer, but he also has the same negatives as a lot of young prospects; not physical, needs to get stronger and isn't consistent on defense. I know he was a 7th rd. pick and odds are against him but I'm curious if he's made strides in his weak areas.

I posted that in the 4/6 GDT so a mod must have moved it here - so that was after the CHL games on Friday.

Erie didn't play yesterday but St. John, Rouyn Noranda and Medicine Hat did and all 4 of the Hawks prospects got another point. Here's how they're doing in playoff scoring:

OHL:

Erie and London tied 1-1. DeBrincat tied for 1st with 14 points (2 goals).

QMJHL:

St.John leads Val-d'Or Foreurs 2-0. Highmore tied for 12th with 9 points (2 goals) and Noel tied for 48th with 5 points (0 goals).

Rouyn Noranda and Chicoutimi tied 1-1. Fortin tied for 9th with 10 points (3 goals). 

WHL:

Medicine Hat and Lethbridge tied 1-1. Dahlstrom tied for 28th with 7 points (4 goals).

Thanks a lot fellas, much appreciated!!!

DCat with 2 goals in a 3-1 win to give the Otters a 2-1 series lead. 

He now has 4g-12a=16pts in 7gms. 

Dahlstrom with a wicked one timer in OT to tie the series at 2. The Tigers were down 2-0 in the game but chipped away and John helped complete the comeback. 

DeBrincat's Otters with a 3-2 series lead. D-cat leading OHL playoff scoring with 19 points in 9 games (5g/14a).

Fortin (4g/8a) and Highmore (2g/10a) are tied for 10th in QMJHL playoff scoring. Fortin's Huskies are down 2-3 in their series and Highmore's Sea Dogs have won both their first two series 4-0.

Dahlstrom is tied for 25th in WHL playoff scoring with 10 points (5g/5a). His Tigers are down 2-3 in their series.

Dahlstrom with a goal and 2 assists in game 6 to help the Tigers force a game 7. He leads all WHL rookies with 13pts.

OldTimeHawky said on 59 minutes ago:

Dahlstrom with a goal and 2 assists in game 6 to help the Tigers force a game 7. He leads all WHL rookies with 13pts.

Granted, he's 20. But for the last pick of the '15 draft, he's not the worst they've ever picked.

tincup61 said on 10 hours ago:

Granted, he's 20. But for the last pick of the '15 draft, he's not the worst they've ever picked.

Zetterberg was drafted in the 7th round, hopefully he's our HZ. Even half the player Henrik was would be a steal in the 7th round. 

I wonder if the Hawks might sign Dahlstrom at some point in the future, I'm guessing maybe next season at the earliest, and see if he can translate his offensive skills to the pros.    

side question: Is the Quebec League still considered pretty much an offensive league? I know I've read comments like that years ago and wondered if it's still like that. 

OldTimeHawky said on 4 hours ago:

Zetterberg was drafted in the 7th round, hopefully he's our HZ. Even half the player Henrik was would be a steal in the 7th round. 

I'd take that if he turns out anything like Hank. He's also a decent size and is scoring big goals. I like to see that kind of fight in a player. 

Edited by tincup61

On to the 3rd round and Fortin (Rouyn Noranda) is out and Dahlstrom (Medicine Hat) is out. DeBrincat (Erie) and Highmore (St. Johns) are moving on the the next round.

Individual scoring after the second round:

DeBrincat 1st in OHL with 22 points (6g/16a - in 11 games)

Fortin 3rd in QMJHL with 17 points (6g/11a - in 13 games)

Highmore 16th in QMJHL with 12 point (2g/10a - in 8 games)

Dahlstrom 15th in WHL with 13 points (6g/7a - in 11 games)

Well our Hawks are done playing until next season and so are a couple of the prospects we've been following in CHL playoffs - Fortin and Dahlstrom are done. That leaves 2 prospects who are still playing - DeBrincat with Erie in the OHL and Highmore with St. John in the QMJHL.

Erie won their first game against Owen Sound 6-1 with Debrincat getting 3 points (1g/2a). He now has 25 points (7g/18a) which leads OHL playoff scoring.

St. John won their first game against Chicoutimi 4-1 with Highmore picking up an assist. He now has 13 points (2g/11a) which is tied for 13th in QMJHL playoff scoring.

EbonyRaptor said on 9 hours ago:

Well our Hawks are done playing until next season and so are a couple of the prospects we've been following in CHL playoffs - Fortin and Dahlstrom are done. That leaves 2 prospects who are still playing - DeBrincat with Erie in the OHL and Highmore with St. John in the QMJHL.

Erie won their first game against Owen Sound 6-1 with Debrincat getting 3 points (1g/2a). He now has 25 points (7g/18a) which leads OHL playoff scoring.

St. John won their first game against Chicoutimi 4-1 with Highmore picking up an assist. He now has 13 points (2g/11a) which is tied for 13th in QMJHL playoff scoring.

3 actually, Noel. I have high hopes for this kid, he's like Bolland with the energy of Shaw. 

I think Noel being Highmores teammate helped the Hawks in getting him.

Edited by OldTimeHawky

galaxytrash said on 52 minutes ago:

Thanks Galaxy; apparently my instincts were right. From reading about him, he's worth taking a chance on. You can't hit a home run if you don't swing the bat. With the abilities he has shown, even though he's not real big I would have thought he would have been worth some team using a 6th or 7th rd. pick on him.  By that late in the draft, it's pretty slim pickins anyway; the Hawks got Ivan Nalimov in the 7th rd.

Hawky, I would bet you're right.  

Noel ended a long goalless drought a day after signing with the Hawks and added an assist to help St John win game 5 and take a 3-2 series lead.

Congratulations to the Erie Otters for wining the OHL West,led by D-cat with 31 points in 17 postseason games.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

hsbob said on 52 minutes ago:

Congratulations to the Erie Otters for wining the OHL West,led by D-cat with 31 points in 17 postseason games.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

St John also won their series in 6.

ER don't forget about good ol Graham Knott. He'll be playing again on May 19th in the Memorial Cup with my beloved Spitfires. Although I believe my Spits will be cast aside early, it'll be cool to see at least Dcat and Knott go head to head. Sucks when you host the gawd damn thing and your team isn't a top 20 team in the country. We never should a got it. We'll never get it again!!!