The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
GigECJ

Is this the beginning of the end?

BlackhawkPaul said on 2 hours ago:

Congrats Hawks.
This is your playoff video.

I dunno Paul that hippo seemed to have a bit more spark to him than this team had.

• Upvote 1

Creature1958 said on 1 hour ago:

I dunno Paul that hippo seemed to have a bit more spark to him than this team had.

There were several "shots" that nobody wanted to block.

• Upvote 1

Creature1958 said on 3 hours ago:

If you lit a match then it woulda had more spark than 2013 :)

• Upvote 1

BlackhawkPaul said on On 4/21/2017 at 8:28 AM:

Congrats Hawks.
This is your playoff video.

Sounds like a weedwacker 

The reality and answer to the question on this thread dating back to January 15th is yes...yes, it's the beginning to the end unless SB makes major changes.

• Upvote 1

I thought we had 1 more Cup in this core and that was this year. Now I'm not so certain. I don't really have the answers because I don't know the team that I saw in the playoffs. It certainly wasn't the same team I watched most of the year with the odd exception. We are the oldest team in the league even with those rookies in the line up. I hope we age better than this. 3 first round losses in 7 years as well. Feast or famine it would seem.

I sure as hell miss this place. Great conversations by Hawk fans. Always refreshing to read and see the passion we share for the Hawks. We got 3 cups together as well eh. :) 

• Upvote 3

McMurrayHawkFan said on 19 minutes ago:

I thought we had 1 more Cup in this core and that was this year. Now I'm not so certain. I don't really have the answers because I don't know the team that I saw in the playoffs. It certainly wasn't the same team I watched most of the year with the odd exception. We are the oldest team in the league even with those rookies in the line up. I hope we age better than this. 3 first round losses in 7 years as well. Feast or famine it would seem.

I sure as hell miss this place. Great conversations by Hawk fans. Always refreshing to read and see the passion we share for the Hawks. We got 3 cups together as well eh. :) 

if i had a buck for every time i said this to myself the last few days........ 

• Upvote 1

McMurrayHawkFan said on 1 hour ago:

Yeah, who was that team that got beat by Nashville?  Was that the Portland Winter Hawks? 

McMurrayHawkFan said on 11 hours ago:

Same -- I always pegged this core to win at least 4 and at most 5. That's why 2014 still stings so fricking badly for me; that should have been our year too.

Taking this core/age into account, I am still hoping that this core can win just one more within the next 3 (4 at the most) years; I still think it's possible, assuming the right moves are made and space is opened up (easier said than done, I realize, but nonetheless).

• Upvote 2

Granada said on 3 hours ago:

Same -- I always pegged this core to win at least 4 and at most 5. That's why 2014 still stings so fricking badly for me; that should have been our year too.

Taking this core/age into account, I am still hoping that this core can win just one more within the next 3 (4 at the most) years; I still think it's possible, assuming the right moves are made and space is opened up (easier said than done, I realize, but nonetheless).

2014 does still sting for me as well, but whenever I ponder that frustrating moment in time (oh the agony of losing THAT way!), I contemplate 2015.  I honestly don't think they win in 2015 if they win in 2014.  Of course, one could get into the argument that maybe this past season we might have won after having "two off," but that argument gets complicated. 

However, in the overall sense, I do agree that this core should have at least 4 Cups and any less is at least a slight disappointment even in the Cap era.

Edited by GigECJ
  • Upvote 2

GigECJ said on 3 hours ago:

2014 does still sting for me as well, but whenever I ponder that frustrating moment in time (oh the agony of losing THAT way!), I contemplate 2015.  I honestly don't think they win in 2015 if they win in 2014.  Of course, one could get into the argument that maybe this past season we might have won after having "two off," but that argument gets complicated. 

However, in the overall sense, I do agree that this core should have at least 4 Cups and any less is at least a slight disappointment even in the Cap era.

On paper I agree...but keep in mind Pilote, Hall, Mikita, and Hull only got 1.

I strongly believe the window remains wide open.

The key position which must be filled is the Dave Bolland role.   The team needs a legitimate third line centre to free Toews from a checking role and win faceoffs in the defensive zone.   Then the Toews line can start focusing again on scoring, providing the team with that one - two punch which has been missing the past two years.

I still don't get why Bowman didn't cough up what was necessary at deadline to beat the Maple Leafs' offer for Brian Boyle.   Quenneville never completely trusted Marcus Kruger.    

• Upvote 3

mvr said on 2 hours ago:

I strongly believe the window remains wide open.

The key position which must be filled is the Dave Bolland role.   The team needs a legitimate third line centre to free Toews from a checking role and win faceoffs in the defensive zone.   Then the Toews line can start focusing again on scoring, providing the team with that one - two punch which has been missing the past two years.

I still don't get why Bowman didn't cough up what was necessary at deadline to beat the Maple Leafs' offer for Brian Boyle.   Quenneville never completely trusted Marcus Kruger.    

Agree. He would've been a perfect addition. 

• Upvote 2

vadarx said on 18 minutes ago:

Agree. He would've been a perfect addition. 

I agree he would a been a solid addition. I clamoured for him. Good, big ol Irish boy. But I feel there were more glaring needs than that. They went halfasssed with the youth movement. Never played them when it counted. And we paid the price for that. That's why I'd like to see a solid 1/3 of the roster jettisoned, and new hungrier lot brought in!!!

• Upvote 3

Big-T said on 4 hours ago:

I agree he would a been a solid addition. I clamoured for him. Good, big ol Irish boy. But I feel there were more glaring needs than that. They went halfasssed with the youth movement. Never played them when it counted. And we paid the price for that. That's why I'd like to see a solid 1/3 of the roster jettisoned, and new hungrier lot brought in!!!

This is certainly true. They should have gone all in with the young guys like they said they were going to. The only good thing about it now is they gave some of them a bunch of time this past year so now when more young guys come in next season at least it won't be all of them at once. This year was perhaps the beginning of said youth movement. 

• Upvote 2

vadarx said on 16 minutes ago:

This is certainly true. They should have gone all in with the young guys like they said they were going to. The only good thing about it now is they gave some of them a bunch of time this past year so now when more young guys come in next season at least it won't be all of them at once. This year was perhaps the beginning of said youth movement. 

trying to find a silver lining for this season.

you just gave me a small one.

better times ahead i hope.

• Upvote 4

I'm honestly confused how people can say the youth didn't get their fair share in the sun this year. To me, that was the problem this year: they got too much, and there were too many of them.

It just seems like, no matter what, there are always people who will say the youth didn't get their fair shake -- it honestly happens every year that people say that. Schmaltz definitely got more than his fair shake. Motte even saw a lot of time, including in the top 6. Hayden was called up late. Hinostroza, Kero, Forsling -- they all saw time, and solid time with the former two. Hartman looked as if he had solidified the Andrew Shaw role he was being groomed for until the playoffs. I don't know, I just don't know what more people want in this aspect.

galaxytrash said on 9 hours ago:

trying to find a silver lining for this season.

you just gave me a small one.

better times ahead i hope.

Hey, I try. :)

• Upvote 1

Granada said on 2 hours ago:

I'm honestly confused how people can say the youth didn't get their fair share in the sun this year. To me, that was the problem this year: they got too much, and there were too many of them.

It just seems like, no matter what, there are always people who will say the youth didn't get their fair shake -- it honestly happens every year that people say that. Schmaltz definitely got more than his fair shake. Motte even saw a lot of time, including in the top 6. Hayden was called up late. Hinostroza, Kero, Forsling -- they all saw time, and solid time with the former two. Hartman looked as if he had solidified the Andrew Shaw role he was being groomed for until the playoffs. I don't know, I just don't know what more people want in this aspect.

I agree, a fair amount of the forwards got time this past year. I guess my main complaint would be that the dmen did not. Kempny and Forsling should have gotten more time, although I know Kempny got a pretty good amount. 

My other complaint would 22 and Desi being played at all. They should've been joining Rosi every night in the press box. Or, better yet, shouldn't have even been on the team to begin with. If they needed vets they could have added them at the deadline. And now we have both 22 and Rozsival coming back next year as well when they should be long gone (although I am still hoping that Rozsival retires after the exp draft). 

^ I can understand the approach with going slow on Forsling. I mean, it there was one area were the Hawks supposedly had depth, it was on the back end; so I can see why they didn't want to rush him much. Kempny did see quality time, but personally, I didn't like what I saw from him and I don't really blame Q for not playing him all the more, but that's just me.

Ironically, I was one of the most vocal critics about Tootoo when it was announced the Hawks had signed him -- but at least in the regular season, I thought he served his role well. I also think that he was played in the playoffs because of two reasons: the 4th line was never solidified (hell, I'd say the bottom six was never solidified) and there were already too many rookies in the lineup come playoff time. I guess you could make the argument that Q could have played Jurco over him, but I don't think that would have made much difference in the end. Sometimes guys like Tootoo can provide an unexpected spark come playoff time, and I think this was the reasoning why he was inserted -- it's just that, the spark never came and he never really provided the physicality one would expect (for whatever reason) when the playoffs rolled around.

I agree though, I didn't want him or Rozy re-signed necessarily. Many have supposed they were signed to fulfill the expansion draft rules of offering at least 2 forwards and one defenseman, so if that's the case, it does make sense.

Edited by Granada
  • Upvote 1

I also can understand on Forsling, but I personally liked what I saw right off the bat. Imo, they should've stuck him with Hammer right form the get go and left them togetherthe entire season. And I think that is what they should do next year as well. Kempny can either play with Seabs or on the third pairing. IF we keep all of the big 3, I'm guessing 2 and 7 are reunited or Keith is paired with TVR and Seabs and Kempny become the third pairing.

• Upvote 1

vadarx said on 40 minutes ago:

I agree, a fair amount of the forwards got time this past year. I guess my main complaint would be that the dmen did not. Kempny and Forsling should have gotten more time, although I know Kempny got a pretty good amount. 

My other complaint would 22 and Desi being played at all. They should've been joining Rosi every night in the press box. Or, better yet, shouldn't have even been on the team to begin with. If they needed vets they could have added them at the deadline. And now we have both 22 and Rozsival coming back next year as well when they should be long gone (although I am still hoping that Rozsival retires after the exp draft). 

But, frankly, the only reason the Tootoos and Mashinters of the world play as much as they do is that our core and even "next level" players simply don't play a "heavy game." 

Edited by GigECJ
  • Upvote 2