The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Old_Hawk

Seabrook

Is it just me, or, does anyone else see a big drop off in his defensive play. Last night's gaff on the first goal is inexcusable. How many times has he simply iced the puck when under pressure? He probably has a no-trade deal but if the Hawks are looking to move some money, this is where I'd start.

• Upvote 2

I recall in the '14 LA series, one of the Kings had an easy tap-in PP goal in which Seabrook was never aware the guy was positioned above the crease for that score although Brent was only a couple of feet next to the Kings player.  I was dumbfounded at Seabrook's lack of recognition in this, perhaps, isolated play.  Since that time there have been other causes for concern in declined play.  He has lost a step or two and doesn't appear to be very physical for being the Hawks biggest dman.  I realize every player has his moments of "shame", and his better moments do outshine not so good ones.  I have said this on occasion, he does have a fantastic "snow angel" while defending a pass or shot in the slot area.  He also is an effective offensive defenseman most of the time as well as a great leader.  

He is a Blackhawks legend and under contract for seven more seasons.  Hopefully, we will see more positives than otherwise in the coming years.

• Upvote 2

Old_Hawk said on 1 hour ago:

Is it just me, or, does anyone else see a big drop off in his defensive play. Last night's gaff on the first goal is inexcusable. How many times has he simply iced the puck when under pressure? He probably has a no-trade deal but if the Hawks are looking to move some money, this is where I'd start.

Totally agree, he also looks really slow. 

His contract will look really bad in a couple years. 

• Upvote 1

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. He and Keith have been great again. Maybe not to the level everyone is used to or a few years ago. They make things a wee bit more interesting, but for the most part still get the job done. The problem is this, Seabs is now higher paid and people were expecting more, he's the same ok guy he's always been, but most seem to want more out of him. It always comes with a big contract. While I agree he's probably overpaid by a million, another one of Stans calling cards is "a million here, a million there". As the Hawks team changes, so does their play, not many teams have had as much change as they have, and I think they've adapted quite well!!!

• Upvote 3

Kempny has helped Seabrook in the games they've played together.

• Upvote 3

Puckjim said on 1 hour ago:

Kempny has helped Seabrook in the games they've played together.

Is that according to stats or eyes? :P

First up was Toews, we beat Keith and Hammer down around here, the last few weeks we kicked Kane to the curb it was only a matter of time Seabs would be called to the forefront. How about talking about something positive like the outstanding play of AA, but them again its easier to beat a player down when he has a few off games and makes a few gaffs here and there.

• Upvote 6

irmaks said on 8 hours ago:

Totally agree, he also looks really slow. 

His contract will look really bad in a couple years. 

The whole team looks like a sack of poop lately, poor play from the core players has been an issue but does that mean everytime something is wishy washy we get them ready for trade deadline.

• Upvote 5

hawkinmontreal said on 32 minutes ago:

The whole team looks like a sack of poop lately, poor play from the core players has been an issue but does that mean everytime something is wishy washy we get them ready for trade deadline.

I hear ya hm,the only bigger problem than Seabrook is no Seabrook!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 5

hsbob said on Just now:

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I understand his contract may be a tad long and slightly high, but currently this team does not have a replacement for him, I totally agree with you Bob. I think many of these core players deserve the benefit of doubt, they have certainly proved over the last 9 years that they have the ability to bounce back when things might not be going there way.

Seabs has earned his contract but by the end of it Bickells contract might look good compared to 7's haha 

• Upvote 1

hawkinmontreal said on 2 hours ago:

I think there is nothing bad trading players while they still have some value instead of paying them for past achievements. 

irmaks said on 12 minutes ago:

I think there is nothing bad trading players while they still have some value instead of paying them for past achievements. 

If your toying with the idea of trading him, give me an example of what you would trade him for considering he only has some value and please do tell me who in the Hawks current system can replace him at this time and please tell as well how much a number 2 d-man would currently cost in this league and who is available? And dont forget he has a no trade claus.

Edited by hawkinmontreal
  • Upvote 5

How many times have the Hawks been tied after regulation, down 2 games to one, or tied 2 games to 2...etc....

And that big goal comes from big #7, either from a big slapper or a great pinch?

We've all seen that many times.

Big time players earn big time contracts,

• Upvote 6

hawkinmontreal said on 3 hours ago:

First up was Toews, we beat Keith and Hammer down around here, the last few weeks we kicked Kane to the curb it was only a matter of time Seabs would be called to the forefront. How about talking about something positive like the outstanding play of AA, but them again its easier to beat a player down when he has a few off games and makes a few gaffs here and there.

Amen

For the record, your account has not been hacked by hsbob, ATN,GT, or myself.....:lol:

• Upvote 5

hsbob said on 2 hours ago:

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I agree. I will promise people this, if he gets dealt without someone to fill his shoes, the team will miss the playoffs, the goaltending will look middle of the pack, the team will be hard pressed to get a balance on defense. The team is what it is because of him, his leadership, his skill, his poise etc. Plus he has a full NMC and he ain't going anywhere!!!

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with seabs offensive zone play.....but on the D side its been not the same.....its really  evident watching in person.......hopefully it will improve....

• Upvote 2

mtl09 said on 3 minutes ago:

Nothing wrong with seabs offensive zone play.....but on the D side its been not the same.....its really  evident watching in person.......hopefully it will improve....

To be honest with you, he has had some off games as of late, but like I have mentioned besides AA and CC the entire core has been battling consistency problems all season. 

• Upvote 2

hawkinmontreal said on 4 hours ago:

Thumbs up man. There is a general lack of umph in the whole team.

hawkinmontreal said on 11 hours ago:

If your toying with the idea of trading him, give me an example of what you would trade him for considering he only has some value and please do tell me who in the Hawks current system can replace him at this time and please tell as well how much a number 2 d-man would currently cost in this league and who is available? And dont forget he has a no trade claus.

I'm not toying with any ideas, I'm just saying that in a couple years we all wish that contract never happened. 

Big-T said on 11 hours ago:

I agree. I will promise people this, if he gets dealt without someone to fill his shoes, the team will miss the playoffs, the goaltending will look middle of the pack, the team will be hard pressed to get a balance on defense. The team is what it is because of him, his leadership, his skill, his poise etc. Plus he has a full NMC and he ain't going anywhere!!!

Wow, if goal is to make playoffs this year then I guess I will agree with you, though that leadership thing is getting old. 

But if we want to have a good team for years we shouldn't pay most of money to players that will be non factor in a couple years but I could be mistaken. And please again no that locker room thing. Too many leaders can hurt the team too. I thought we are paying 10 mils already for that. 

irmaks said on 10 minutes ago:

Wow, if goal is to make playoffs this year then I guess I will agree with you, though that leadership thing is getting old. 

But if we want to have a good team for years we shouldn't pay most of money to players that will be non factor in a couple years but I could be mistaken. And please again no that locker room thing. Too many leaders can hurt the team too. I thought we are paying 10 mils already for that. 

The amount and length of Seabs deal is a whole different discussion. That's why I've never cared for stans way of doing things. However, Seabs is probably the real captain. Toews was anointed captain and it's been a great selling point and I'm sure he's learned well from Seabs and Hossa etc. We have nothing in place to take over, nothing.  Right now the cupboards are bare, and we gotta stick with what we have for a few years, tearing it down now is not an option!!!

Big-T said on 12 minutes ago:

The amount and length of Seabs deal is a whole different discussion. That's why I've never cared for stans way of doing things. However, Seabs is probably the real captain. Toews was anointed captain and it's been a great selling point and I'm sure he's learned well from Seabs and Hossa etc. We have nothing in place to take over, nothing.  Right now the cupboards are bare, and we gotta stick with what we have for a few years, tearing it down now is not an option!!!

I agree, it's not an option now. 

irmaks said on 2 hours ago:

You have no better idea what the future holds than the rest of us so I agree with the bolded  part. Seabs could easily be a very good D-man for several more years and then a floor team might very well have interest. 

GO HAWKS!!!!!