The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
shidler007

Patrick Kane

Granada said on 5 hours ago:

"There's a leak inside, it's real man! Smoke him out!"

-Billy Costigan, The Departed

Is it that Jimmy Hoffa guy?  You know he's a Red Wings' fan, don't you?

Edited by hawks27

Biscuit_In_The_Basket said on 3 minutes ago:

Yes, at JimC's place.

Is that the same JimC that was on these boards years  back?

Edited by hawkinmontreal

I've been avoiding making this statement on these boards for a couple of weeks now, but to me Kaner looks like a player who went "balls out" last season, made his point, and is "kinda sorta" taking the season off.  I know it's controversial to say that, but I'm saying it anyway.  If this is the case, then our only hope is that he can't help himself from being "last year's player" once the playoffs start or, better, the advent of the playoffs.

• Upvote 4

GigECJ said on 2 hours ago:

I've been avoiding making this statement on these boards for a couple of weeks now, but to me Kaner looks like a player who went "balls out" last season, made his point, and is "kinda sorta" taking the season off.  I know it's controversial to say that, but I'm saying it anyway.  If this is the case, then our only hope is that he can't help himself from being "last year's player" once the playoffs start or, better, the advent of the playoffs.

Hey, Gig.  Any player who is saving himself, conserving his energy for anything beyond the next game, quite frankly is not worthy of a spot on the team.  Kane is one point behind Panarin for the team lead in points.  Yes, his scoring is down from his career year last season and perhaps it appears as if he is coasting at times.  But his role is to provide offense and he has done this for the most part, IMO.  Would we like to see more productivity from Kaner?  Sure.  Has he been the team's biggest problem when the offense is offensive?  Hardly!  I am not giving him a pass or pointing blame at any other player because together they win and together they don't.

This could be placed in the Toews thread too but putting it here...

is it possible Toews and Kane are TOO comfortable/complacent at this point? Are they lacking a fire/desire they once had?

They've accomplished pretty much everything you can in hockey (with the exception of a Hart Trophy for Toews, which he'll never win, and Olympic gold for Kane).

3 stanley cups erases the hunger and drive to win another...

set for life financially with their current contracts...

maybe there's a lack of drive at this point... and if so, how do you fix that?

• Upvote 1

MERPER said on 53 minutes ago:

is it possible Toews and Kane are TOO comfortable/complacent at this point? Are they lacking a fire/desire they once had?

They've accomplished pretty much everything you can in hockey (with the exception of a Hart Trophy for Toews, which he'll never win, and Olympic gold for Kane).

I remember Bob Pulford talking about how the team he was coaching was trying although coming up short.  He really let them know that he knew that each one of them was trying.  However, he told them that they weren't trying hard enough, that there was a next level.  I mean, Pullie had his faults as a coach and a GM, but he did win a Cup himself (Toronto's last in '67) and should know a thing or two about what it takes.  I'm not necessarily subjecting either player to this issue, most especially Tazer, but I do think that he's onto something as Herb Brooks was onto with his 1980 hockey team driving them to "another level."  I do concur that it takes a very special human being, driven from the core at all times, in order to have as many achievements, accolades, and dollars as our Dynamic Duo have had over these past eight years and then keep going at that level!   Again, it's just food for thought, but worthy of consideration.  They may be trying, but perhaps they're not reaching that "next level" of trying.  It takes a lot of drive and energy to get to that "next level."  Some would also use the word "hunger" as the typical carrot necessary for that level.  If you're not hungry anymore, it's really difficult to demand the "extra mile." 

Edited by GigECJ
  • Upvote 2

yooper496 said on 1 hour ago:

Hey, Gig.  Any player who is saving himself, conserving his energy for anything beyond the next game, quite frankly is not worthy of a spot on the team.  Kane is one point behind Panarin for the team lead in points.  Yes, his scoring is down from his career year last season and perhaps it appears as if he is coasting at times.  But his role is to provide offense and he has done this for the most part, IMO.  Would we like to see more productivity from Kaner?  Sure.  Has he been the team's biggest problem when the offense is offensive?  Hardly!  I am not giving him a pass or pointing blame at any other player because together they win and together they don't.

Coasting at times? Let me ask you or anybody else on these boards when you can recall me ever bashing a player? I have stuck up for everybody including Huet. I see effort and to me that counts for a lot. You may not be gifted in talent but showing effort cannot and should not be taken for granted. With that said I have been whipping Kane this whole season he is useless and you can take stats and shove them he is playing with superstars in AA and Panarin. I see that this team has changed and maybe due to shoring up the D but it's like the 3 stooges out there and not just that line. To watch TooToo with his razzle dazzle on a sure goal but going fancy as if he has that type of talent and then to say"well it was fun it's what we do in practice" That is because they take fancy and fun over effort and grit.

I've read about trading Panarin to Buffalo .....really? Panarin is better both offensively and defensively than Kane. I would trade Kane to Buffalo and stop the silly nonsense of trading Toews to Winnipeg or Toronto. It's a no brainer and Kane would surely accept that trade.

• Upvote 1

GigECJ said on 2 minutes ago:

I remember Bob Pulford talking about how the team he was coaching was trying.  He really let them know that he knew that each one of them was trying.  However, he told them that they weren't trying hard enough, that there was a next level.  I mean, Pullie had his faults as a coach and a GM, but he did win a Cup himself (Toronto's last in '67) and should know a thing or two about what it takes.  I'm not necessarily subjecting either player to this issue, most especially Tazer, but I do think that he's onto something as Herb Brooks was onto with his 1980 hockey team driving them to "another level."  I do concur that it takes a very special human being, driven from the core at all times, in order to have as many achievements, accolades, and dollars as our Dynamic Duo have had over these past eight years and then keep going!   Again, it's just food for thought, but worthy of consideration.  They may be trying, but they're not reaching that "next level" of trying.  It takes a lot of drive and energy to get to that level.  Some would also use the word "hunger" as the typical carrot necessary for that level.  If you're not hungry anymore, it's really difficult to demand the "extra mile."

Good points.

And to be clear, I am not saying they aren't trying. I am not saying they don't have the drive/desire and aren't giving 100%, I am just floating a devil's advocate type of thought process.

I would hope/think that Crosby getting a 2nd Cup last year and on pace for 63 goals leading one of best teams in league this year could be motivation. Wanting to keep another team from having as many Cups as you do in recent memory. But I'm not a professional athlete to know if that kind of small thing can be used as motivation.

Trade the reining MVP to Buffalo?  SMDH  

I figured we were done with that silliness but here we are. 

Edited by Puckjim
  • Upvote 1

MERPER said on On 12/28/2016 at 4:03 PM:

I think there is a lack of drive to go above and beyond every night during the regular season for both, tbh, and quite a few others on the team. they have all win enough to know when the real season begins. I worry about neither of the them come april. 

• Upvote 2

vadarx said on 1 hour ago:

I think there is a lack of drive to go above and beyond every night during the regular season for both, tbh, and quite a few others on the team. they have all win enough to know when the real season begins. I worry about neither of the them come april. 

I don't disagree that every player will have lack-of-motivational nights.  The flipside though is to make sure they show up (which neither did last offseason, although Kane was monster in the season), and to hope those that are putting in the effort have something in the tank for the playoffs. :)  We still have to get there 1st.

• Upvote 2

Icaddiedforstosh said on On 2016-12-07 at 6:46 PM:

Laff the F right out loud, seriously

I think RK still has more posts than anyone currently on these boards. And JimC was a gawd damn treat wasn't he???

LordKOTL said on 2 hours ago:

I don't disagree that every player will have lack-of-motivational nights.  The flipside though is to make sure they show up (which neither did last offseason, although Kane was monster in the season), and to hope those that are putting in the effort have something in the tank for the playoffs. :)  We still have to get there 1st.

Sure we do, and I think they know that. I think that all of them are hit or miss throughout the season. they know to do enough to get in, I don't think they are particularly worried about seeding anymore. 

• Upvote 2

Big-T said on 4 hours ago:

I think RK still has more posts than anyone currently on these boards. And JimC was a gawd damn treat wasn't he???

Jim C still exists on Twitter 

• Upvote 1

Puckjim said on Just now:

Jim C still exists on Twitter 

I will follow him to the end of the earth!!!

galaxytrash said on 4 minutes ago:

i dont recall either of RK or Jim C.

my memory is getting bad i guess.

that...plus my memory is getting bad.

My granny used to always say her forgetery was better than her memory.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, folks.

I'm pretty sure Kane is leading the league in "Forwards, TOI"

If you want him to skate like every game is All-Star Weekend, fastest skater competition....don't be too upset when he's toast when the grass starts growing again.

Meanwhile it's what?....9 points in the last 8 games?  Somethin like that....not sure

• Upvote 3

We must have a lot of people in fantasy hockey on here. Cuz there's really no reason to be mad at Toews or Kane. The team is a top 3-5 team in the NHL, and it's filled with rookies. I think we should be happy about that. And I have Kane and Panera in my hockey pool. Kane could be a wee bit better, but Panera could be worse. It all averages out. We're still watching good hockey!!!

• Upvote 1

galaxytrash said on 19 hours ago:

i dont recall either of RK or Jim C.

my memory is getting bad i guess.

that...plus my memory is getting bad.

RK had him and his gang start new boards. They were alright, just he posted on EVERYTHING. He had well over 20k posts in about 3-4 years on here. I hope senility is kind to you my friend!!!

• Upvote 1