The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
OldTimeHawky

The Panik Thread

Count me in as somebody who has also been super impressed with Panik so far this season. I obviously don't think his current pace is sustainable and feel he is definitely overachieving...but, it takes a combination of skill and hard work to do what he is doing, and as such I think 20-25-45 is a realistic stat line for him this year. 

• Upvote 2

I see him like replacement for Shaw right now, he does that job in front of the net and he was rewarded by couple of goals in the dirty but high scoring % area.Same success had Shaw last season.Also he's #2 in total hits in Central division and #4 in Western Cf. No way he could keep 70% but he still could end up with 20+%  and total number of goals/points will depend of how much time will Hawks, Panik, Toews, Motte now  play in O-zone.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

As a fellow slovak, I want Pans to be successful of course. But my sensation is that so far he looks as one of the best on the team due to the effort he gives. When you see his willingness on the ice, he surely looks more motivated than the core.  He is good, but not a top tier nhl talent. If the core will succeed to find its mojo then it'll be one hell of a team again. 

• Upvote 2

jaty84 said on 2 hours ago:

As a fellow slovak, I want Pans to be successful of course. But my sensation is that so far he looks as one of the best on the team due to the effort he gives. When you see his willingness on the ice, he surely looks more motivated than the core.  He is good, but not a top tier nhl talent. If the core will succeed to find its mojo then it'll be one hell of a team again. 

I wasn't sold on Panik's ability to finish coming into this year but I was sold on his consistent effort and I thought the puck would start finding him if he kept playing the way he was and it did. His ability to finish,especially in close has been great to see and it's very promising.....he's still a young player and it seems he's figuring out the offensive side of things.

I also appreciate his hard,physical fore-check,he keeps D-men honest and the team needs some of that IMO!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 3

If Panik can continue to play a physical game and produce somewhere around 40-45 points by the end of the year, we all should be very happy.   

He reminds me of Thomas Kopecky, perhaps with a bit more scoring ability.   Kopecky was no all-star, but he was a valuable player for a couple of years here. Sadly, Panik might price himself out of a job here by the end of the year.   Kopecky signed with the Panthers for $3 plus million/year as a UFA.  

If I am Bowman, I might be inclined to set Panik against Panarin when discussing next year's contract.   The first to sign gets to stay.  Panik at $2-2.5 M on a short term deal might prove to be a more valuable asset to this roster given the salary cap concerns than Panarin at $6 M long term (plus whatever Bowman can get for him in a trade package).

I suspect this is the strategy Bowman used last spring with Kruger and Shaw.   Kruger bit first (on a very generous offer), which meant Shaw was the one to go.

Panera will have to be dealt this season in order to get anything really good for him. If he's an RFA, teams know Stan is screwed and can't afford him, and the best he'll get is a pick and a prospect. Teams just aren't giving up top picks or prospects anymore. Teams are more inclined to keep their picks/prospects. Maybe a team does throw a lot at Panera? It is possible. If I were Stan, and I'm pretty sure he's fielding offers right now on Panera just in case things go south. Even the Weber or Subban trade was ignited months before. 

Ideally, I'd like to see Stan work on a Panera and AA deal to Edmonton for Draisaitl and Pulijarrvi. Or something like that. Why does Edmonton do this? They're in win now mode, no more picks or prospects needed. They get solid vets with tons of scoring available. And they'd only be taking on 10-11 million in cap space. Hawks get 2 guys on ELC with a ton of upside, and a real chance to rebuild on the fly!!!

I think this thread deserves to be on page 1 again.

I haven't been able to follow the start of the season, been watching closely for the last month and a half but Panik has really impressed me lately. Tall guy, big frame, quick hands, scoring touch, I said it in another thread, he could be like Bickell only with talent.

He had a strong start and then kind of disappeared (?) but from what I've seen he could be a major factor in the playoffs if he's willing to play physical and keeps his confidence. He has shown that he's capable of playing great hockey now it's Q's job make him do it every game.

• Upvote 1

buf52 said on 19 minutes ago:

I think this thread deserves to be on page 1 again.

I haven't been able to follow the start of the season, been watching closely for the last month and a half but Panik has really impressed me lately. Tall guy, big frame, quick hands, scoring touch, I said it in another thread, he could be like Bickell only with talent.

He had a strong start and then kind of disappeared (?) but from what I've seen he could be a major factor in the playoffs if he's willing to play physical and keeps his confidence. He has shown that he's capable of playing great hockey now it's Q's job make him do it every game.

He's been much better when playing with 19 this season, imo. He still was working when he was on the 3rd and 4th lines, but the scoring has been more prevalent when playing with Toews. 

I have a hard time believing they will be able to keep him unless he takes another 1 year deal... 

• Upvote 1

vadarx said on 30 minutes ago:

He's been much better when playing with 19 this season, imo. He still was working when he was on the 3rd and 4th lines, but the scoring has been more prevalent when playing with Toews. 

I have a hard time believing they will be able to keep him unless he takes another 1 year deal... 

I guess we can't blame him if he gets a 5 year 20 million deal. That'll set him up for the rest of his life. He's been a border line NHLer, and I don't think he's got enough for the rest of his life. If he does stay, it'll have to be under 2 million. We'll see, maybe that's why Stan got Jurco? That could be Panik(at the disco) replacement? But if he stays cool, ya never know!!!

the way how Hartman, Schmaltz and Kero play already in their 1st season could help Hawks save a lot of cap space so I hope they will find some agreement with Panik.A year ago he played AHL in Ontario and he is still not in position to ask some huge money.

• Upvote 1

Big-T said on 59 minutes ago:

I guess we can't blame him if he gets a 5 year 20 million deal. That'll set him up for the rest of his life. He's been a border line NHLer, and I don't think he's got enough for the rest of his life. If he does stay, it'll have to be under 2 million. We'll see, maybe that's why Stan got Jurco? That could be Panik(at the disco) replacement? But if he stays cool, ya never know!!!

Well, he is a rfa. So I suppose that gives us some hope. I'm thinking a one year deal and then he will be an Ufa next season. 

vadarx said on 4 minutes ago:

Well, he is a rfa. So I suppose that gives us some hope. I'm thinking a one year deal and then he will be an Ufa next season. 

Well, that'd be cool 😎, but he may want the money 💰, if he does, good luck 😉 to him. We'll still have love ❤️ for him..... maybe!!!

I've heard many times how he had a great start then his production dropped off, well yeah, he was put on the 4th line for no reason at all. His last game before being sent to the 4th he actually scored but halfway through the game Q took him off of Toews line.

• Upvote 2

OldTimeHawky said on 15 hours ago:

I've heard many times how he had a great start then his production dropped off, well yeah, he was put on the 4th line for no reason at all. His last game before being sent to the 4th he actually scored but halfway through the game Q took him off of Toews line.

My guess would be a few blown defensive assignments,this player floundered under Cooper and Babcock but has absolutely flourished under Q for some reason. He'll be another in a long line of young players to make one hell of a living due to being taught the game the right way!

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

He'd have to be an utter idiot to take a one-year deal, especially is he is as consistent in the playoffs this year. Just saying: this is his year to finally cash in (assuming he does well in the playoffs).

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

He'd have to be an utter idiot to take a one-year deal, especially is he is as consistent in the playoffs this year. Just saying: this is his year to finally cash in (assuming he does well in the playoffs).

yeah....maybe.

but....to state the obvious...where has he ever had a shot like this?

where will he ever get another shot like this?

its all up to him for sure....it will really be interesting to see how it all plays out.

^ You don't know what teams will be interested. They very well could be contenders themselves.

Not to mention, it's just common sense: a 1 year deal on a team after just having the best year of my career, risking the possibility of having a down year, on a team that might not be able to keep me beyond the 1 year anyway; compared to a multi-year guaranteed big-money contract that will set me up for life on even a middling team? It's a no-brainer, but I suppose there is the very minimal chance he signs a one-year. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, personally.

Of course, it may be moot if he doesn't have a good playoff season. In that case, he may sign a one-year. This playoff season for him will be like Bickell's was in 2013 (i.e. as important).

Edited by Granada

Granada said on 9 minutes ago:

^ You don't know what teams will be interested. They very well could be contenders themselves.

Not to mention, it's just common sense: a 1 year deal on a team after just having the best year of my career, risking the possibility of having a down year, on a team that might not be able to keep me beyond the 1 year anyway; compared to a multi-year guaranteed big-money contract that will set me up for life on even a middling team? It's a no-brainer, but I suppose there is the very minimal chance he signs a one-year. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, personally.

Of course, it may be moot if he doesn't have a good playoff season. In that case, he may sign a one-year. This playoff season for him will be like Bickell's was in 2013 (i.e. as important).

like i said....yeah maybe....and it will be a really interesting signing to keep an eye on where ever it ends up.

im going to go out on a short limb and say he offers us a friendly deal.

• Upvote 1

Granada said on 29 minutes ago:

yeah....interesting.

good post.

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

Not necessarily.  This summer he's an RFA on the last year of his RFA eligibility.  Next summer, if unsigned, he hits the UFA market.

You'll have to figure that his RFA is going to be cost-controlled, even with arbitration.  If he gives up UFA years that might increase the cost, but even still that would work to keep his ultimate salary down.  If he can replicate his success on anther team or with us, he stands to make even more as a UFA. 

Assuming Shaw as a comparable:  if he signs a 1-year Bridger at 2M, does well, then goes for a 4-year, 4M deal--that's 18M total (regardless of whether or not he tanks like Samsonov).  He'd have to do 3M for 6 to match that.  I don't see him getting more than 3 after just this season of success, and I doubt any team signs him for 6 years.  I also doubt he gives up 5 years of UFA eligibility.  Anything less and he makes less overall unless he can replicate his success and cash in at the tail-end of his deal.

I think it will boil down to if he can replicate his success and if he feels like he can--here or elsewhere.  He could very well take his money and run.  But I don't think he'd have to be an idiot for going on a cheaper bridger if he can stand to make more in the long run if he feels he can replicate his success.

^ Let's not make this complicated.

(Assuming the arbitration ruling is low for him) Why would he want to risk a one-year deal? What if he gets hurt? What if he sucks again? He'll be 27 next February. Given his age, given this is his best year ever (assuming he has a successful playoff season also); I still think he'd have to be an utter idiot. This is the best time for him to test free agency. Even a multi-year contract for the arbitration price is better than a one-year contract.

And again, chances are, the Hawks won't keep him long-term anyway after the one year.

Today in the slovak newspapers was an interview with Panik about his this season's success. When I saw the article, I was thrilled that I can finally share some info with you to which you have no access. But the interview was horrible. Couple of stupid questions, looked like a chat conversation.

Regarding the question about his future, he just diplomatically replied that he'll see after the season. There is still this one to be finished.

Maybe next time :)

• Upvote 1