The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
OldTimeHawky

The Panik Thread

It's very early in the season but 4g-1a=5pts in 3gms is a great start. 

The knock on him has been his consistency and he even admitted it, considering where he was traded from how can you blame him. Some powerforwards take a little longer to find their game and he's only 25 so he's just entering his prime.

The one thing he always did was finish his hits and drive hard to the net, now that he's more committed to being consistent I think he can be a 30 goal scorer. If he does and Morin doesn't amount to anything this could be another Sharp-Ellison type trade, Sharp was also in his mid 20's before getting a full time spot in the NHL. 

Edited by OldTimeHawky

Is this where I need to go to eat crow about this kid and will someone be ever so kind to cook it up for me?

• Upvote 2

Icaddiedforstosh said on 21 minutes ago:

He goes RFA same time as Panaran......now what?

he is RFA on very low base salary now, it should be not problem.Also I think Panarin will be already extended, when question what to do with Panik will be actual, so there is no relation between these two contracts..

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

The important point about Panik for this year is that he solves one of the two wing problems on the Toews line.  Given the fact that the GM's hands are tied with respect to acquiring additional talent on offense, Panik will be good enough, although I hope he can have a very productive year.  But, the guy is good enough to play on the Toews line and help make it more productive than it was last year, particularly if it helps Toews score a few goals also by forcing defenses to pay attention to him.   

I don't wanna tell you I told you so but I told you that you can't tell that Panik is not a scorer : ) 

2 weeks ago : G/60, goals per 60 minutes of TOI

Stats_Hockey_Analysis_com_NHL_Individual

Now seriously, it's three games, I am not so dumb to think its'all clear.He needs one season, or maybe two seasons to prove he is not Bickell 2013.

By those bottom six forwards is hard to predict what will happen if they would play 17 minutes per game in top line instead of 7 minutes in 3/4th line.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

Modry-Jazyk said on 3 minutes ago:

I don't wanna tell you I told you so but I told you that you can't tell that Panik is not a scorer : ) 

2 weeks ago :

Stats_Hockey_Analysis_com_NHL_Individual

Now seriously, it's three games, I am not so dumb to think its'all clear.He needs one season, or maybe two seasons to prove he is not Bickell 2013.

By those bottom six forwards is hard to predict what will happen if they would play 17 minutes per game in top line instead of 7 minutes in 3/4th line.

If I were him and I was going into negotiate........I'd take you with me!LOL!  I've been quick to notice his hard work and toughness and I love to see players rewarded for that!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

Icaddiedforstosh said on 41 minutes ago:

He goes RFA same time as Panaran......now what?

IMO,having to many good players is the best problem to have,even when we lose one or two it results in a decent return and a spot for a youngster.

I can put a positive spin on anything,can't I!LOL!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Puckjim said on 55 minutes ago:

Is this where I need to go to eat crow about this kid and will someone be ever so kind to cook it up for me?

You know I'd love to be that chef pj but I'm not pre-heatin' the oven just yet.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

jacksalmon said on 23 minutes ago:

The important point about Panik for this year is that he solves one of the two wing problems on the Toews line.   

jack...im a rose colored dreamer...likely the worst or best here....but even i would have to pull the reins back after viewing paniks hat trick. 

i want it to be true too though. it would sure solve some questions wouldnt it.  :)

!!!!!!    GO HAWKS    !!!!!!

galaxytrash said on 10 minutes ago:

jack...im a rose colored dreamer...likely the worst or best here....but even i would have to pull the reins back after viewing paniks hat trick. 

i want it to be true too though. it would sure solve some questions wouldnt it.  :)

!!!!!!    GO HAWKS    !!!!!!

I don't expect Panik to keep scoring on a 4 goal/3 games pace, but he has shown enough so far this year and during the one round of playoffs last year to be one of the wings on the Toews' line, even if he has some unproductive games.  Who else are you gonna put there?  They don't have enough talent to deprive him of one of those spots. 

Given the good game Hossa had last night, maybe it is time to give him his first line spot back for awhile and see what happens.  Then, we can rename it the Slovak line.  Notice that I want to keep Panarin with Kane.  That is one of the reasons I am glad to see Panik playing well. 

Edited by jacksalmon
  • Upvote 1

jacksalmon said on 12 minutes ago:

I don't expect Panik to keep scoring on a 4 goal/3 games pace,

naahhh...me neither.

its a psychological thing with me.....if we all brag him up....he will fail.

im scared to armour all his tires too much right now.:lol:

Even if Panik can't keep pace he's been scoring where the 10.5M Wunderkinds can't.  That deserves some credit...or at least control of the cattle prod to jumpstart Toews and Kane. ;)

• Upvote 1

LordKOTL said on 4 hours ago:

Even if Panik can't keep pace he's been scoring where the 10.5M Wunderkinds can't.  That deserves some credit...or at least control of the cattle prod to jumpstart Toews and Kane. ;)

I hope something gets those guys going.  Would be real helpful in moving that scoreboard along. 

jacksalmon said on 11 hours ago:

I hope something gets those guys going.  Would be real helpful in moving that scoreboard along. 

I fully agree.

Whether we agree with the team make-up or not, how the team is made-up right now means the superstars need to be superstars, and as yet, only Seabrook and Hjammer have been doing so.  That's a problem because the highest-paid guys need to play like it--Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Anisimov need to stop being carried by the depth.

Puckjim said on 23 hours ago:

I'll be splitting it with you (if he can keep it up). Anyways, great game by Panik.

Its early, but there are plenty of things to admire about his game.  I for one like the physicality he brings to a less than physical top 6 group of forwards.

His scoring and ability to connect with his line mates is also looking like a positive.

• Upvote 1

Stop with the skewering,cooking and eating the Crow crap we need him in net. Or to keep Big T and others happy as a trading chip for the future :D

• Upvote 2

LordKOTL said on On 10/17/2016 at 7:22 AM:

I fully agree.

Whether we agree with the team make-up or not, how the team is made-up right now means the superstars need to be superstars, and as yet, only Seabrook and Hjammer have been doing so.  That's a problem because the highest-paid guys need to play like it--Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Anisimov need to stop being carried by the depth.

Once Toews/Kane got the money they got, the Hawks became an NHL experiment.  Can a team succeed on offense with two superstars and a bunch of rookies and subpar vets?  Fortunately, they were able to pick up Panarin for next to nothing.  I guess we'll see the results of the experiment as the season winds on, but it is not going to work unless Toews and Kane do a lot of scoring, regardless of how Panarin, Hossa and Anisimov do because one cannot 35-40 goal seasons out of those three guys. 

jacksalmon said on 2 minutes ago:

Once Toews/Kane got the money they got, the Hawks became an NHL experiment.  Can a team succeed on offense with two superstars and a bunch of rookies and subpar vets?  Fortunately, they were able to pick up Panarin for next to nothing.  I guess we'll see the results of the experiment as the season winds on, but it is not going to work unless Toews and Kane do a lot of scoring, regardless of how Panarin, Hossa and Anisimov do because one cannot 35-40 goal seasons out of those three guys. 

All cup-winning teams have relied on players playing above/beyond their paygrade.  The only thing that's really different is who is playing at that high level because there's only so much time you can ride cheap talent before they get paid.

T/K is not that big of an experiment; last year they were only paid about 1.5M more each in converted cap dollars than Crosby/Malkin--a difference that's about the same as either Kruger or Daley.  So looking at this year so far (I know, it's *really* early) could you say that guys like Forsling or Panik can make up for that level of salary?  So far, yes, but it also means that the high paid guys have to earn their keep--like you said.  The superstars need to be superstars regardless of the team makeup. 

Personally I think the game of "Can we afford to keep player X if we're paying player Y so much money?" has to hinge primarily on player Y playing to their paygrade.  If player X is playing to their paygrade but player Y isn't, then player Y is the problem, not player X.

LordKOTL said on On 10/18/2016 at 8:22 AM:

All cup-winning teams have relied on players playing above/beyond their paygrade.  The only thing that's really different is who is playing at that high level because there's only so much time you can ride cheap talent before they get paid.

T/K is not that big of an experiment; last year they were only paid about 1.5M more each in converted cap dollars than Crosby/Malkin--a difference that's about the same as either Kruger or Daley.  So looking at this year so far (I know, it's *really* early) could you say that guys like Forsling or Panik can make up for that level of salary?  So far, yes, but it also means that the high paid guys have to earn their keep--like you said.  The superstars need to be superstars regardless of the team makeup. 

Personally I think the game of "Can we afford to keep player X if we're paying player Y so much money?" has to hinge primarily on player Y playing to their paygrade.  If player X is playing to their paygrade but player Y isn't, then player Y is the problem, not player X.

The Pens are running the same experiment but they have more money to spend on support, which can only help.  As you saw last year, Crosby and Malkin did well, but they had tremendous support, not only from their other vets, but their newcomers.  In addition, Sullivan might have created a style of play that really helped the success.  Hard to believe that the Pens were that much better personnel wise than the Sharks after they got thru the very tough WC.  But, the Pens dominated them mercilessly.  I think it was more the system than the personnel. 

I really liked the way this kid played in the playoffs last year. He kinda reminds me of Ladd. I didn't want to get my hopes up as his play could of been a fluke. I am really like watching this kid he looks hungry out there, I hope he keeps playing hard. 

He certainly is exceeding my expectations thus far. Loved how babs was upset in the post game last night about trading him! 

• Upvote 2