The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
hawks27

Schmaltz Thread

Maybe just freak accidents but Schmaltz is going to need to keep his head up and on a swivel playing center in this league.  If you can’t catch him...they are going to try to hit him.

^ It sucks because, albeit in this limited sample size, he looked like he gained a ton of confidence since last year and was playing like it. I just hope these injuries don't curtail that area of his game moving forward -- two injuries in the first two games might do that to any young player.

Schmaltz has to adapt to the NHL game, he has the talent, but he's not protecting himself, players have an obligation to protect themselves, he got clipped last year by Landeskog, ya it was a bit late, but I think he's leaving himself in harms way too long. He needs to adapt to not worrying where his passes or shots are heading, and worry about surviving another shift. Maybe Q should start that line as the 1st line where they would matchup against less physical players and against more talented players. A lot of teams 2nd D pairings and 2nd lines are no where near as talented as the Hawks are, so they play physical against us!!!

So he should play more like TT who was afraid of any contact and would gladly give up the puck to avoid a hit? Being a center its going to be harder to stay out of harms way but he will have to adapt to stay in the lineup

• Like 1

txyak said on 3 hours ago:

So he should play more like TT who was afraid of any contact and would gladly give up the puck to avoid a hit? Being a center its going to be harder to stay out of harms way but he will have to adapt to stay in the lineup

If he can continue to play his game and get through this learning curve without serious injury? look out !

Granada said on 3 minutes ago:

Damn, I hope this isn't one of those injuries that's "day and day" and ends up being 1 to 2 months.

"hopefully saturday" in Q-speak is a bit ominous.

• Like 1

galaxytrash said on 16 minutes ago:

"hopefully saturday" in Q-speak is a bit ominous.

'hopefully saturday' means 'maybe in wednesday'.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

Schmaltzy centered the second line Monday in practice, so signs are pointing toward a Wednesday night rivalry return. 

• Like 3

vadarx said on 2 hours ago:

Schmaltzy centered the second line Monday in practice, so signs are pointing toward a Wednesday night rivalry return. 

Is his brother playing for Blues?

yooper496 said on 7 hours ago:

Is his brother playing for Blues?

I believe he is playing in the AHL currently.

iknowpuck said on 4 hours ago:

Schmaltz on 2LW > being on 2C or 3C.

Is he a potential top 6 all-star caliber player?

I dunno about all star, but he surely looks better on the wing. me thinks he should remain there from now on.

Haven’t been a fan of him at center, but he played well last night.  You can see flashes as to why he should get more of a look there.

I’d like to see this new second line of Hartman - Schmaltz - Kane get more time together.

Heck, go and run with the kids...and 88.

• Like 1

Schmaltz seems special to me and I hope we keep him around for a long time. I think he's pretty clearly our best pure playmaker aside from Kaner.

• Upvote 1

iknowpuck said on 1 hour ago:

Haven’t been a fan of him at center, but he played well last night.  You can see flashes as to why he should get more of a look there.

I’d like to see this new second line of Hartman - Schmaltz - Kane get more time together.

Heck, go and run with the kids...and 88.

Every time we play a weaker team, people buy into this. Then we’ll play a good team and they get knocked off the puck and it’s back to square one. Schmaltz is obviously good offensively, he has wheels, but he’s getting caught out of position and kind of a defensive liability most of the time. If he isn’t skating up ice, he’s not as useful at this point. I think he should be used only in offensive situations as of now, I hope he can work on the defensive side, and also not head to the perimeter when the goin gets tough, one good game every 4 isn’t what we need, what we need is consistency!!!

Big-T said on 29 minutes ago:

Every time we play a weaker team, people buy into this. Then we’ll play a good team and they get knocked off the puck and it’s back to square one. Schmaltz is obviously good offensively, he has wheels, but he’s getting caught out of position and kind of a defensive liability most of the time. If he isn’t skating up ice, he’s not as useful at this point. I think he should be used only in offensive situations as of now, I hope he can work on the defensive side, and also not head to the perimeter when the goin gets tough, one good game every 4 isn’t what we need, what we need is consistency!!!

But, we are a weak team too.

I’m on the kid train until something else with this current roster changes.

Let him play and learn.  8 and 88 have nice chemistry going and Hartman looks interested in doing some of the dirty work.

Not a lot of good so far this year but this may be something going forward.

Weak team or not, Edmonton plays a heavy game with big defensemen. The fact that Schmaltz was going to the net last night was a good sign for me. He still hasn't played 100 games in the league yet and has a least the second best eyes on the team. Without him or Kane there is no offense on this team it seems. Play them with a big center, or like Hartman last night, a linemate who played a foot over his head and I can live with that. I believe there is something there and if the intention is to trade assets for immediate needs, he's not the one to go.

• Like 2

He is 3rd in points on a team. Not too bad for 21 years old. 4th in a league in takeaways. Sounds like it is a good contribution to defense. And he is constantly improving, just compare him to last year. Not sure what not to like. 

• Like 3