Jump to content
The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
hawks27

Schmaltz Thread

Recommended Posts

Late in tonight's game vs the Wings, either Foley or Eddie O. stated that Schmaltz looked fairly at home playing in the center position, especially after having played on the wing in college.  I watched most every game that the University of North Dakota played last year, and I can tell you that Schmaltz was the CENTER between two, fine wingers (Caguilla and Boeser).  Someone please update the announcers' notes to be more accurate, especially if Schmaltz makes the Blackhawks line up.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hawks27 said:

Late in tonight's game vs the Wings, either Foley or Eddie O. stated that Schmaltz looked fairly at home playing in the center position, especially after having played on the wing in college.  I watched most every game that the University of North Dakota played last year, and I can tell you that Schmaltz was the CENTER between two, fine wingers (Caguilla and Boeser).  Someone please update the announcers' notes to be more accurate, especially if Schmaltz makes the Blackhawks line up.

Too dam busy gigglin' all night to pay attention 27. Nick Schmaltz has been a center his entire young career and he had 35 assists and a +44 last year to prove it........and the +44 is NOT a typo!

 

GO HAWKS!!!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering how Schmaltz had been looking so far; this is assuming he's played enough to get a bit of a read on him. Since he's about the same size as TT, I also wondered if he's had any problems with the physical part.  

I sure hope he can be an NHL caliber center (centre for fans outside the US). Since we don't know what might happen in the future due to any future contracts and salary cap problems, it would be good to have a good, skilled young C on a cheaper contract around.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AcesandEights said:

I was wondering how Schmaltz had been looking so far; this is assuming he's played enough to get a bit of a read on him. Since he's about the same size as TT, I also wondered if he's had any problems with the physical part.  

I sure hope he can be an NHL caliber center (centre for fans outside the US). Since we don't know what might happen in the future due to any future contracts and salary cap problems, it would be good to have a good, skilled young C on a cheaper contract around.  

 

After the kid had an outstanding season with an outstanding, NCAA championship wining program,he had 8pts in 7 world championship games in June. He's 6' 177lbs at 20 and might fill out nicely and contact seems to agree with him. Q mentioned him after the game last night as well.

 

GO HAWKS!!!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AcesandEights said:

I was wondering how Schmaltz had been looking so far; this is assuming he's played enough to get a bit of a read on him. Since he's about the same size as TT, I also wondered if he's had any problems with the physical part.  

I sure hope he can be an NHL caliber center (centre for fans outside the US). Since we don't know what might happen in the future due to any future contracts and salary cap problems, it would be good to have a good, skilled young C on a cheaper contract around.  

 

One play lastnight he came flying down the RW and gained the zone and a Wings player tried to hit him but Schmaltz sent him flying, he's like a gritty TT. Plays smart at both ends. TT might have better hands but at least Schmaltz doesn't panic and turn it over if someone's going to hit him. 

I think he should be in Rockford though, Hinostroza, Motte, and Fortin look more ready.  Let Schmaltz be the go to guy for the Hogs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OldTimeHawky said:

One play lastnight he came flying down the RW and gained the zone and a Wings player tried to hit him but Schmaltz sent him flying, he's like a gritty TT. Plays smart at both ends. TT might have better hands but at least Schmaltz doesn't panic and turn it over if someone's going to hit him. 

I think he should be in Rockford though, Hinostroza, Motte, and Fortin look more ready.  Let Schmaltz be the go to guy for the Hogs. 

I've thought that too. Unless he's showing he's really ready and can take the grind of the NHL regular season, it does seem he would benefit more in the long term to get a lot of ice time at Rockford as one of the main guys and learn the pro game. I think it's great that he's looked good and not overmatched and not doing much of anything on the ice.

The Hawks were patient with TT in his development so I would expect the same with Schmaltz. No need to rush him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AcesandEights said:

I was wondering how Schmaltz had been looking so far; this is assuming he's played enough to get a bit of a read on him. Since he's about the same size as TT, I also wondered if he's had any problems with the physical part.  

I sure hope he can be an NHL caliber center (centre for fans outside the US). Since we don't know what might happen in the future due to any future contracts and salary cap problems, it would be good to have a good, skilled young C on a cheaper contract around.  

 

Not only does he appear to be bigger (physically) than TT he has made one other difference very clear...he is not afraid of contact.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BucksNBlackhawks said:

Not only does he appear to be bigger (physically) than TT he has made one other difference very clear...he is not afraid of contact.  

That's good to hear; hopefully it will help him develop at a steady pace.

(a little sidenote; I'm in Oklahoma and I think half the state is still in mourning after the steamrolling the Sooners took on Sept. 17th.  There was an obvious difference in the talent level between the two teams; and this with the Buckeyes having to replace 16 starters. That's what consistent top 5 classes will do for you. The diehards here won't admit that and just blame it all on the coaches. ;))

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OldTimeHawky said:

..... he's like a gritty TT..... 

 

if anyone is unsure what *oxymoron* or *inherent contradiction* means...please read this.

:)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AcesandEights said:

That's good to hear; hopefully it will help him develop at a steady pace.

(a little sidenote; I'm in Oklahoma and I think half the state is still in mourning after the steamrolling the Sooners took on Sept. 17th.  There was an obvious difference in the talent level between the two teams; and this with the Buckeyes having to replace 16 starters. That's what consistent top 5 classes will do for you. The diehards here won't admit that and just blame it all on the coaches. ;))

 

They don't call him Big Game Bob for nothin :lol:...I kid, I kid.  This team has, in all honesty, exceeded my expectations so far this season.  You hear all the hype about how talented these guys are, without the experience, but they have gone out and just killed it.  Experience or not at the rate they are going it would now be a disappointment not to win the whole thing, and with Urban at the helm anything is possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 5, 2016 at 7:23 PM, galaxytrash said:

if anyone is unsure what *oxymoron* or *inherent contradiction* means...please read this.

:)

Like jumbo shrimp or government intelligence...

:)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid has been really good and getting better every game. The plays he made last night to set up Kane were awesome, its great to have some youth stepping up their games and it seems to energize the whole team. They have looked a lot faster as a team lately 

Edited by txyak
...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
txyak said on 50 minutes ago:

The kid has been really good and getting better every game. The plays he made last night to set up Kane were awesome, its great to have some youth stepping up their games and it seems to energize the whole team. They have looked a lot faster as a team lately 

If smaltz can handle playing center, AA could be the odd man out this summer. There needs to be salary cap casualties and CC and Kruger are not enough. Darling, Kempny, Panik, and others need to be resigned. Cap is going nowhere this year. Inserting Motte and Debricant next year, giving Hino more time with the big club may be the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for better three lines balance, Schmaltzy has to return to Toews line (when AA is back) but it's promising option for the future.

Here is the entire shift with Schmaltzy prior to first Kaner goal :

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modry-Jazyk said on 2 hours ago:

for better three lines balance, Schmaltzy has to return to Toews line (when AA is back) but it's promising option for the future.

Here is the entire shift with Schmaltzy prior to first Kaner goal :

 

Very impressive both with the puck and without the puck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modry-Jazyk said on 17 hours ago:

Now this is Schmaltz on Worlds.

 

Pretty nice. This kid does have talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schmaltz was hurt by a late hit after he had shot the puck on goal.  Landeskog should have had a penalty for the late hit.  I don't believe that Schmaltz came back to play after this late hit, early in the game.  Hope he'll be ok.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hawks27 said on 2 hours ago:

Schmaltz was hurt by a late hit after he had shot the puck on goal.  Landeskog should have had a penalty for the late hit.  I don't believe that Schmaltz came back to play after this late hit, early in the game.  Hope he'll be ok.

Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully he can come back and play some more in the tourney,  but it didn't look real good... and, yeah, how that wasn't a penalty, I dunno...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldTimeHawky said on 29 minutes ago:

Looked clean to me.

borderline late but definitely debatable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
galaxytrash said on 2 minutes ago:

borderline late but definitely debatable.

Tad late and shoulder pad to the chin. Take down that number for next year when they play the Avs.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks a lot worse in slow motion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×