The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Northernhawk

Okay Our Defence?

Ggreat top 3 , but beyond that I'm not sure.

Runblad is terrible , Svedberg is big but doesn't use his size and is slow ,

I like TVR and Gus , but do they really move guys out from the net or hammer guys in to the boards ?

Rosy does a bit of that for as much criticism as he gets at least he is physical

The Campbell signing is ok if he can still motor, but overall the D lack grit and size.

Whether we as fans like it or not, this is not what the profile of a Hawk defensemen looks like.

I've continuously stated the d-men group wasn't good enough last year.  Well, I now really like this group as it stands...and maybe it's still tweaked.

I'm back to believing we have one of the best, if not the best, top 4 in the league.  #2, #7, #4 and #51 are a tough top 4 to match.

If Kempny is a legit NHL defensemen and if TVR isn't moved, I believe he is slotted where he should be and that has the potential to be a good third paring.  Pokka?

Then there's Gus and Rosi after them.  Move Sved for a pick.  Buyout Rundblad.  Let the other youngsters develop in Rockford.

Then there's the forwards... :unsure: ...SB isn't done yet!

Definitely a better group than last year with the addition of Campbell. Looking forward to seeing Kempny on the ice and how he fits in

more stats from Blackhawks Breakdown site.

CHI D-men goal differential vs shot differential.Top right is best, bottom left is worst.Gus, Keith, Hammer look good, TVR, Rozsi average, Seabrook bad, Svedberg terrible.Not surprise about Gus, more advanced stats already shown he was good support for O.The same about Svedberg, who didn't look like NHL dman at all.Also as many fans noticed, for Seabrook it was not good season.

CpGDEOnVMAAiVwp.jpg

and here's Brian Campell.

CpGGiySVUAMSy14.jpg

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 2

I'm  having trouble understanding what the X and Y axis mean.  (I get what the Corsi score is and how it's calculated)

Ggreat top 3 , but beyond that I'm not sure.

Runblad is terrible , Svedberg is big but doesn't use his size and is slow ,

I like TVR and Gus , but do they really move guys out from the net or hammer guys in to the boards ?

Rosy does a bit of that for as much criticism as he gets at least he is physical

The Campbell signing is ok if he can still motor, but overall the D lack grit and size.

Defense is the least of Chicago's worries. There's only 120 minutes between the six guys. Dunc, Seabs, Hammer and Soupy should easily eat up 100 of those minutes. In addition, a forward could be used on the point for powerplays making available minutes even less.

Until camp is over, I don't think they have any idea who the 12 forwards will be. That's the larger problem. In my estimation,there are at least six spots wide open. Many seem to think that Panik is a gimme to skate along Toews and Hoss, but over his career, when has he demonstrated the ability to be a top six guy. If he's the best they have to fit with Toews and Hoss, they're in trouble. 

• Upvote 2

I'm  having trouble understanding what the X and Y axis mean.  (I get what the Corsi score is and how it's calculated)

X- Corsi differential when player <name> was on the ice, scaled to 60 min:  Corsi Hawks - minus Corsi opponent teams

ie Cambell 6  ... Florida produced 6 more shots than opponents did per 60 minutes when Campbell was on the ice, it's used for puck possesion rating.

Y - same with goals, ie Campbell GF/60 3.01  GA/60 1.59  so  GD60 =  1.42. Florida scored 1.42 goal more than opponents per 60 minutes when Campbell was on the ice.

(all stats are 5v5)

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

^ Exactly Old_Hawk, especially if Kempny is in fact the real deal. We have a plethora of options as far as tandems, even if you'd want to slot TVR with Campell, etc.

And yes, Panik isn't a realistic solution for 1LW. He may be the best option -- barring any additional FA signings (Hudler?) -- but that doesn't make him a solution. It'll be a revolving door there if Panik starts there, unfortunately.

If the puck gets out quicker and more efficiently this year,it could lead to better offensive seasons for a number of Hawk forwards,JT spent a lotta time behind his own net last year....too much time! Other top teams are lookin at question marks startin the season just like the Hawks,LA has to replace Lucic,StLou has to replace Backes and Brouwer,the Pens have 3.3M to shed before the season starts and the Caps are comin off another in a long line of PO failures.

I think outta the four forwards in Rockford who've seen a little NHL action,who've all been pretty effective at the AHL level and who know the system,1 or 2 could contribute this year,probably bottom six but who knows.

Can Schmaltz or Motte(or any of the other four) seize a top six spot is a good question but the numbers should lead to an intense competition. Panik should fit the line-up somewhere too but he'd have to show a lot more 'finish' to play top six IMO.

All that said,I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Hudler,he's one year removed from a 30+gl,70+pt season and even if one of the youngsters are ready and if Big Hoss has a bounce back season,he'll still come in real handy. Anybody got an idea why he's still available? Is he not as cheap as many think?

GO HAWKS!!!!!      

Edited by hsbob

When you read about the expectations of Motte, etc. around here, it almost sounds like one of these Rockford guys is just going to come in and completely solidify the hole at 1LW. Yeah, that'd be phenomenal, but I just can't see it happening. These guys are talented (like every single one of our prospects throughout history  :lol:. Don't think we've ever had a "bad" prospect around here), but to expect any one of them to come in and be Brandon Saad, I think, is unrealistic. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd be pleased if Hudler was brought in, not only for a back-up (or Plan A, depending on how you're looking at it) plan, but also just for depth in general. Right now, we have no viable options on the third line other than Kruger. 

• Upvote 1

When you read about the expectations of Motte, etc. around here, it almost sounds like one of these Rockford guys is just going to come in and completely solidify the hole at 1LW. Yeah, that'd be phenomenal, but I just can't see it happening. These guys are talented (like every single one of our prospects throughout history  :lol:. Don't think we've ever had a "bad" prospect around here), but to expect any one of them to come in and be Brandon Saad, I think, is unrealistic. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd be pleased if Hudler was brought in, not only for a back-up (or Plan A, depending on how you're looking at it) plan, but also just for depth in general. Right now, we have no viable options on the third line other than Kruger. 

Have we ever had a "good" prospect in your opinion? Do you see ANY Hawk prospect as NHL ready? Did you or anyone predict Brandon Saad would be such a good player upon arrival? Did anyone predict Shaw and Kruger being very effective multi cup winning role players? To be honest,many told me not to get so high on this new Russian kid last summer before he started lightin' up the league!

I've come to understand the critical scrutiny many approach the team with but if it's applied objectively,that scrutiny shows a fairly high number of young forwards that are ready or very close. (MY) prediction is,two of em stick and are effective and another 2-3 see 20+ game opportunities........(yours)?

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 2

^ What people need to understand here, is that Saad/Kane/etc. are incredibly, incredibly rare.

I'll answer all those questions with a question: did you drink the kool-aid on TT? Pirri? On Skille? How about Makarov? Or Salak? Kyle Beach? Akim Aliu? Dylan Olsen? Lalonde? Cam Barker? Jeremy Morin? Clendening? Were you surprised when all of these guys puttered out? Because all of them were as hyped as guys like Motte, Schmaltz, Hinostroza, McNeil (who is already far, far behind where he was supposed to be at this point), and anyone else you'd want to throw in there.

Let's also put this in perspective: why is Motte suddenly NHL ready? The guy has played 0 NHL games. Zero. And he's 5'9, 188 pounds (which I'm sure is nowhere close to his real weight). Same with Schmaltz: 0 NHL games. People love using Pittsburgh as a rebuttal that a team can win with a plethora of rookies in the lineup, but those guys had multiple NHL games under their belt and they were all in their mid-twenties. These kids are early twenties and have no NHL games under their belt, and now we're expecting them to come in and immediately contribute?

You use Shaw and Kruger in your post above -- you're right, nobody saw them coming, but that proves my point even more about tempering expectations for these higher draft picks. What I'm expecting is that the Hawks aren't done making moves; that at least one veteran winger will be brought in; that prospects like Motte, Schmaltz will get some time but nowhere near a full season; and that the majority of the season, this team will not ice 4 prospects/rookies at once (Mashinter, Hartman, and Rassmussen will see more time before any of these prospects -- maybe even Carrick).

The two I expect the most out of, before guys who have zero NHL experience, are from Hartman and Rassmussen. And I expect them to be solid/dependable bottom six guys.

Edited by Granada

^ What people need to understand here, is that Saad/Kane/etc. are incredibly, incredibly rare.

I'll answer all those questions with a question: did you drink the kool-aid on TT? Pirri? On Skille? How about Makarov? Or Salak? Kyle Beach? Akim Aliu? Dylan Olsen? Lalonde? Cam Barker? Jeremy Morin? Clendening? Were you surprised when all of these guys puttered out? Because all of them were as hyped as guys like Motte, Schmaltz, Hinostroza, McNeil (who is already far, far behind where he was supposed to be at this point), and anyone else you'd want to throw in there.

Let's also put this in perspective: why is Motte suddenly NHL ready? The guy has played 0 NHL games. Zero. And he's 5'9, 188 pounds (which I'm sure is nowhere close to his real weight). Same with Schmaltz: 0 NHL games. People love using Pittsburgh as a rebuttal that a team can win with a plethora of rookies in the lineup, but those guys had multiple NHL games under their belt and they were all in their mid-twenties. These kids are early twenties and have no NHL games under their belt, and now we're expecting them to come in and immediately contribute?

You use Shaw and Kruger in your post above -- you're right, nobody saw them coming, but that proves my point even more about tempering expectations for these higher draft picks. What I'm expecting is that the Hawks aren't done making moves; that at least one veteran winger will be brought in; that prospects like Motte, Schmaltz will get some time but nowhere near a full season; and that the majority of the season, this team will not ice 4 prospects/rookies at once (Mashinter, Hartman, and Rassmussen will see more time before any of these prospects -- maybe even Carrick).

The two I expect the most out of, before guys who have zero NHL experience, are from Hartman and Rassmussen. And I expect them to be solid/dependable bottom six guys.

There's no doubt that the Hawks missed on a number of high picks, a lotta teams do. There's also no doubt that the Hawks had several young players help win cups,a lotta teams don't! I guess we'll both have to wait and see how the current crop works out.

Players like Kane,Toews,Saad and Panarin are indeed rare but they were all drafted or acquired by the same FO that drafted or acquired the current crop. Is it kool-aid drinking to notice Motte led his team to the frozen four at a young age,went to Rockford and was their best player for the short period he was there and then went to the tourney earlier this summer and was one of USA's better players against a Canadian team full of NHL'ers..............it's all I have to go on.

GO HAWKS!!!!!  

• Upvote 1

You don't win Cups without the core. That's what wins Cups.

I wouldn't say it's kool-aid drinking to notice Motte led his team to the frozen four at a young age, etc. -- but I would call it kool-aid drinking to anoint him the next Panarin or Kane.

You don't win Cups without the core. That's what wins Cups.

I wouldn't say it's kool-aid drinking to notice Motte led his team to the frozen four at a young age, etc. -- but I would call it kool-aid drinking to anoint him the next Panarin or Kane.

Who are you referring to with the last part?

I've never anointed him anything and I've never compared him to Kane or Panarin. All I've done is mention his achievements so far in his career without any embellishment what so ever and I've said he has a good shot to make the team. 

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 2

^ The way I see it, in order for a guy like Motte to stick with the team the entire regular season (and into the playoffs), he'd have to be Patrick-Kane-type-good. You may probably disagree. Like I said, I don't think he will be able to stick the entire regular season; but especially on an NHL first line, the entire regular season. 

^ The way I see it, in order for a guy like Motte to stick with the team the entire regular season (and into the playoffs), he'd have to be Patrick-Kane-type-good. You may probably disagree. Like I said, I don't think he will be able to stick the entire regular season; but especially on an NHL first line, the entire regular season. 

Why would Motte or Schmaltz have to be "Patrick Kane type good" to make the team? All either would have to do is score 15-20 goals,win puck battles and be responsible defensively IMO. Maybe neither makes the team and maybe top six expectations are a bit lofty but both have absolutely excelled at every level so far and I don't see it as unreasonable. Other than inexperience,what weaknesses do you see in these two players? For what it's worth,both were invited to the NHLPA/Upper deck rookie showcase.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 2

^ Because they're not just making the team; they're making the first line and are being expected to stick on the first line the entire regular season. It just seems like people underestimate what a monumental request that is, in addition to scoring 15-20 goals your first year, etc. Kane had 21 goals his first year.

Lack of experience is and will be their biggest weakness. If they were auditioning for the third and the expectations of them were to gradually assimilate to both Q's system (that even vets seem to have trouble with) and the NHL game in general, I'd agree with you -- but the expectation is that one of them will stick on the top line the entire regular season.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone but fans expect either of the two to make the first line. I think they'll be 3/4 liners to start and get some PP time to get their point totals and confidence up. Then fill in on a line above theirs when there's injury or fatigue. Hawks don't got many options, and I think this year finally, this will make or break half the kids in the farm!!!

• Upvote 1

I think worst case we don't have to expect the incoming talent to be Kane/Panarin good, but just Shaw-tenacious.

• Upvote 2

FWIW, Brandon Saad had a pretty terrible start to his NHL career offensively as he was pointless in his first 8 games and then only had 2 points through the first 15 games before finally coming around.  What kept him on the roster and getting an opportunity was his willingness to battle, being very good defensively, and playing smart.  

If any of these young guys can at least do those things consistently and at a high level I don't see why they won't be given every opportunity to develop and round out their game over the season as they get more comfortable.  

Edited by BucksNBlackhawks
  • Upvote 3

I think worst case we don't have to expect the incoming talent to be Kane/Panarin good, but just Shaw-tenacious.

man im really going to miss that boy...  :/

i think the team will as well....

• Upvote 1

man im really going to miss that boy...  :/

i think the team will as well....

I don't disagree, but flipside a guy like McNeill or Hartman shouldn't find it too difficult or too demanding to have an acceptable percentage of Shaw's tenacity.  There's a difference between expecting Hartman, McNeill, Tootoo, etc. going to the front of the net and taking abuse, and expecting Motte and Schmaltz to be top-10 in scoring.

I don't disagree, but flipside a guy like McNeill or Hartman shouldn't find it too difficult or too demanding to have an acceptable percentage of Shaw's tenacity.  There's a difference between expecting Hartman, McNeill, Tootoo, etc. going to the front of the net and taking abuse, and expecting Motte and Schmaltz to be top-10 in scoring.

You are not allowed to even MENTION that goon (you-can-guess-who) as a Hawk. I hope he never dresses. Almost as bad as if we had Sean Avery on the team. Unbelievable he's even a Hawk. What was the FO thinking?

You are not allowed to even MENTION that goon (you-can-guess-who) as a Hawk. I hope he never dresses. Almost as bad as if we had Sean Avery on the team. Unbelievable he's even a Hawk. What was the FO thinking?

age 33...only $75Ok...4O games playoff experience...grit.

okay...not the most dazzling acquisition but not all that bad either in my humblest of opinions.

• Upvote 2

age 33...only $75Ok...4O games playoff experience...grit.

okay...not the most dazzling acquisition but not all that bad either in my humblest of opinions.

I agree, every playoffs team needs such player.For that price, i'ts better sign him now for free than trade for him during the season.

• Upvote 2