The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Sign in to follow this  
Toews1

Gustav Forsling

Forsling said at the begging of year if he didn't make the big club he did not want to go to Rockford. Is there talk now of him going back to Sweden?

BIGBARN27 said on 37 minutes ago:

Forsling said at the begging of year if he didn't make the big club he did not want to go to Rockford. Is there talk now of him going back to Sweden?

Has he actually been demoted? Or is this stans cap saving measures? It seems a lot of kids sent down, but is it only for off days? Cuz if it's cap savings, Stan has a trade a brewing. It may not happen till the deadline, but he probably has been watching a couple of targets!!!

• Upvote 2

Big-T said on 12 hours ago:

Has he actually been demoted? Or is this stans cap saving measures? It seems a lot of kids sent down, but is it only for off days? Cuz if it's cap savings, Stan has a trade a brewing. It may not happen till the deadline, but he probably has been watching a couple of targets!!!

The fact that there are only 21 players on the roster with Kruger out probably is for cap savings and maybe a move does happen. As far as Forsling himself,I know what he said before he got here but I'm sure the org. has assured him he's part of their plans and I doubt he walks away from the league now,even if it is longer term.

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

• Upvote 3

BIGBARN27 said on 17 hours ago:

The way the wording went, from my understanding, is that he couldn't be demoted prior to Dec 1, otherwise he could go back to Sweden. Now that that deadline is long since past, the 'hawks cam go ahead and send him down as they please. I'm sure he is on board with it, better to get first pairing minutes in Rockford than to sit in the pressbox... plus he will surely be called back up...

• Upvote 1

vadarx said on 19 hours ago:

The way the wording went, from my understanding, is that he couldn't be demoted prior to Dec 1, otherwise he could go back to Sweden. Now that that deadline is long since past, the 'hawks cam go ahead and send him down as they please. I'm sure he is on board with it, better to get first pairing minutes in Rockford than to sit in the pressbox... plus he will surely be called back up...

Whatever the reason, Kempney has to play. Even Erik Karlson spent some time in the minors and the Sens where not a very good team when he turned pro. If Gus has his head screwed on properly, he will realize this is best for his development.

• Upvote 1

Old_Hawk said on 3 hours ago:

Whatever the reason, Kempney has to play. Even Erik Karlson spent some time in the minors and the Sens where not a very good team when he turned pro. If Gus has his head screwed on properly, he will realize this is best for his development.

I agree. Kempny is gonna be the guy for this season, it appears. Gus is definitely gonna be a part of the future, though. Hopefully he uses the opportunity to inprove.

poor old gustav was stuck 3/4 of the way down page 4 here in hawk talk. 

he deserves a bump.

i've been quietly rooting for this guy since i first saw him. i gotta' say, i always thought he was too small for me to bother. but now (surprisingly to me at least) he's a respectable 6 foot, 186 pounder.

but what a nice surprise this year,,,,him and rutta. they will both be a big part of any success we have this year, of that i'm sure.

anyways....here's an article about GF.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/gustav-forsling-emerges-as-shutdown-defender-in-sophomore-season/amp/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

galaxytrash said on 6 hours ago:

poor old gustav was stuck 3/4 of the way down page 4 here in hawk talk. 

he deserves a bump.

i've been quietly rooting for this guy since i first saw him. i gotta' say, i always thought he was too small for me to bother. but now (surprisingly to me at least) he's a respectable 6 foot, 186 pounder.

but what a nice surprise this year,,,,him and rutta. they will both be a big part of any success we have this year, of that i'm sure.

anyways....here's an article about GF.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/gustav-forsling-emerges-as-shutdown-defender-in-sophomore-season/amp/

He didn't look good in the preseason but that quickly changed once the season started, he's showing why he made the team as a teenager last season. Plus like you said, he's bigger now, Ulf mentioned that as well, Forsling added some weight over the summer and looks stronger out there.

I wasn't happy when they traded Clendening for him but he's been a nice surprise.

OldTimeHawky said on 3 minutes ago:

He didn't look good in the preseason but that quickly changed once the season started, he's showing why he made the team as a teenager last season. Plus like you said, he's bigger now, Ulf mentioned that as well, Forsling added some weight over the summer and looks stronger out there.

I wasn't happy when they traded Clendening for him but he's been a nice surprise.

Showing to have the potential to be a solid 3-4...top pairing potential?

iknowpuck said on 3 minutes ago:

Showing to have the potential to be a solid 3-4...top pairing potential?

Possibly, but sometimes it's just finding that compatible partner and he and Ruuta look to be a real good pair at this time.

• Like 1

Forsling with Rutta may be able to develop into a top pairing...I know SB still needs to sign Rutta...but I don't remember SB getting to much recognition for getting him here this year.

Edited by iknowpuck

Forsling has played real well.

I am impressed with his body position on guys along the boards - he knows how to separate guys from the puck with out really having to hit or get hit ( kind of like Keith does ).

Also his skating is good and looks even improved from last season.

He is also one of the few Hawks D that jumps up in the play to be the 4th man on a rush, as well as being smart at the point.

• Like 1

He’s our top d-man right now.  Think about his play early on.

Question: did he improve that much or have 2 & 7 degressed that much more?

Franson getting a regular shift after being a PTO...same question.

Probably our best d-man.  Who brought him?

SB takes a lot of heat, some rightfully so, but  not on this one.

Give credit where it’s due too.

• Like 1

iknowpuck said on On 12/3/2017 at 10:40 AM:

He’s our top d-man right now.  Think about his play early on.

Question: did he improve that much or have 2 & 7 degressed that much more?

Franson getting a regular shift after being a PTO...same question.

A bit of both.  I don't see Forsling making any allstar lists or the Selke.  I also don't see Keith or Seabs making the allstar list unless they're the bellhops at the ASG players' hotel.

LordKOTL said on On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM:

A bit of both.  I don't see Forsling making any allstar lists or the Selke.  I also don't see Keith or Seabs making the allstar list unless they're the bellhops at the ASG players' hotel.

Not ready for prime time yet, the coronation is on hold. He was all over the highlight package tonight and not in a good way. Maybe losing Rutta had something to do with it but it was a bit of a stinker.

tincup61 said on 9 hours ago:

Not ready for prime time yet, the coronation is on hold. He was all over the highlight package tonight and not in a good way. Maybe losing Rutta had something to do with it but it was a bit of a stinker.

To be fair, though, how much of a liability was Keith in 2006?

Yeah, he had a stinker and Keith looked like an NHL defenseman for the 1st time all year, here's hoping Forsling rights the ship and Keith keeps it up.

LordKOTL said on 7 minutes ago:

To be fair, though, how much of a liability was Keith in 2006?

Yeah, he had a stinker and Keith looked like an NHL defenseman for the 1st time all year, here's hoping Forsling rights the ship and Keith keeps it up.

I remember Keith being so bad defensively when he first came up several were ready to convert him into a forward.  But Forsling’s improvement overall this year has been a godsend, just last night was noticeably quite a bit off. I also think Murphy is quietly starting to put together an effective season now that all the defense men are being slotted correctly. 

But for a team that had a lot of offence driven from the blue line our defense is sadly lacking in that now. Keith, goalless this year, is our top scoring guy being tied for 41st in dman scoring. That ain’t going to cut it. A more effective PP would help and this is where I think the transition from Keith to Forsling should be starting to happen. 

• Like 3

^ + 1 on all points. I would love it if Forsling/Oesterle could become the new Keith/Seabrook, so to speak -- I'm impressed by both, especially Forsling. You're going to have bad games; the kid is still developing. I'll certainly give him a pass before Seabrook, who looked like a train-wreck out there.

• Upvote 1

Granada said on 1 hour ago:

^ + 1 on all points. I would love it if Forsling/Oesterle could become the new Keith/Seabrook, so to speak -- I'm impressed by both, especially Forsling. You're going to have bad games; the kid is still developing. I'll certainly give him a pass before Seabrook, who looked like a train-wreck out there.

I’m still hoping the big kid Dahlstrom makes it up, it really is starting to look like he’s developing well. Colliton had some good, albeit tempered, words to say about him last game. This year of development and  under the tutelage of Ulf and Q he might just turn into a good asset. 

Both Forsling and Oesterle play too similar a game for me to think they’d be a good pairing outside of the PP maybe, although they both have great wheels. Maybe it’s just me but I still like having one big and responsible dman paired with one that’s got some giddy up. 

• Like 1

^ Agreed, I didn't mean to pair them necessarily; just that, they could be the next 2 great D-men to come up in the system. It looks like Pokka is going to get a shot, since Franson went on IR.

Granada said on 3 minutes ago:

^ Agreed, I didn't mean to pair them necessarily; just that, they could be the next 2 great D-men to come up in the system. It looks like Pokka is going to get a shot, since Franson went on IR.

If Pokka plays over Kempny then Q doesn’t want to move Murphy back to his natural side. But what’s the story on Rutta? 

^ Yeah, that makes sense and I wouldn't want to move Murphy back; oddly enough, he's been playing better since being moved to his off-side.

No details yet on Ruuta. He left the game after a big hit to the head (shoulder to head) last night and never returned.

tincup61 said on 6 hours ago:

I remember Keith being so bad defensively when he first came up several were ready to convert him into a forward.  But Forsling’s improvement overall this year has been a godsend, just last night was noticeably quite a bit off. I also think Murphy is quietly starting to put together an effective season now that all the defense men are being slotted correctly. 

But for a team that had a lot of offence driven from the blue line our defense is sadly lacking in that now. Keith, goalless this year, is our top scoring guy being tied for 41st in dman scoring. That ain’t going to cut it. A more effective PP would help and this is where I think the transition from Keith to Forsling should be starting to happen. 

The transitioning from Keith on the PP should have started no later than mid-to-end of 2016.  Now, it needs to happen post-haste.  Keith's still money on the PK, and maybe the lessening of minutes will help him like it did Seabs.  The more we can put our core guys in positions that play to their actual strengths, the better.  And if that means a few rookie hiccups from guys like Forsling, El Gato, Rutta, etc.  Fine.

Forsling could be the next #1.  Osterle, Rutta, etc. could fit in there as well.  Add Dahlstrom, Snuggie, and in a couple of years The Joker.  I think we'll be okay moving forward.

But I do think what needs to start happening now is putting the youth in game situations to see if they can take the heat.  For instance...for overtime, why not run with Anisimov/El Gato/Forsling...or even Toews/El Gato/Forsling if you want to win the draw without trying to get Yannik Perrault to suit up again. 

• Like 1