The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Modry-Jazyk

Michal Kempny D

^ Disagree. Toews' line was not necessarily relegated to 3rd line duty as much as they were demoted by the emergence of the 2nd line with Kane, AA, and Panarin. It's similar to how Bolland was demoted to third line. A line with Jonathan Toews shouldn't be tasked with being a shutdown line on a consistent basis, and if they are, all that proves is your lack of depth overall as a team.

You're playing semantics with "more balanced" and "significantly deeper."

I'm not opposed to moving Hossa down necessarily, but not if it means starting two rookies on the top line with Toews. I know Toews is a great player, but having two rookies on his line is simply an unrealistic option.

Edited by Granada
  • Upvote 1

The difference between an excuse and an explanation is perspective and this team needs no excuses.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Excuse you - they haven't won a Cup since 2015!  :rolleyes:

Can I get this quoted for a bumper sticker? 

The last team to go Cup win, CF, Cup win didn't make the playoffs at all the following season. A team that had 2 Finals appearances and a Presidents trophy in 4 seasons hasn't seen the post season in 2 straight.  

Hawks ended last season with more points than they did the season before, 5th in the league and were a few bounces, a double post, a rookie d man mistake away from advancing. So my friend - you are absolutely correct. They need no excuses at all. They are still unmatched. 

• Upvote 2

Excuse you - they haven't won a Cup since 2015!  :rolleyes:

Can I get this quoted for a bumper sticker? 

The last team to go Cup win, CF, Cup win didn't make the playoffs at all the following season. A team that had 2 Finals appearances and a Presidents trophy in 4 seasons hasn't seen the post season in 2 straight.  

Hawks ended last season with more points than they did the season before, 5th in the league and were a few bounces, a double post, a rookie d man mistake away from advancing. So my friend - you are absolutely correct. They need no excuses at all. They are still unmatched.

another great post, could be pinned to all Hawks need rebuild, Hawks need big trade and What's wrong w/ Toews threads.

heh, it seems, that the Cup every second year is not enough for some fans  : D  really, I was not over-disappointed after 1st roud loss this year (only a bit queruling about bad luck), I would have gave Hawks one free pass if they asked me, after such many long and successfull seasons.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 2

Just got back from Vegas where I put $100 on the hawks to win the SC at 5 to 1 odds. If I'm not mistaken WE made excuses for them last year saying they were tired and have played a lot of hockey the past few seasons which they have.

The fact of the matter is the 1st line was not very good and 19 didn't play up to his standards I'm sure he would be the first to admit that. Hoss struggled most of the season and they had no left winger after Saad was traded even though they eventually replaced him with Ladd. 

The point I was making is they got the rest they haven't had and now we can't say they are tired. They bottom line is they just weren't as quick as past years and the D was not as good as we've been accustomed to.

Crow was great combined with Kane's line was enough to get them in the playoffs but you can't win it all with only one line producing.

Hoping for a much more balanced team with a stronger D and some young guys stepping up

• Upvote 2

another great post, could be pinned to all Hawks need rebuild, Hawks need big trade and What's wrong w/ Toews threads.

heh, it seems, that the Cup every second year is not enough for some fans  : D  really, I was not over-disappointed after 1st roud loss this year (only a bit queruling about bad luck), I would have gave Hawks one free pass if they asked me, after such many long and successfull seasons.

No one was overly aggravated that the Hawks went out in the first round this year -- I kinda think you're building a straw man here. At least, I really didn't see anyone freaking out about it for the whole off-season or anything; and the people who were overly upset were in the minority.

I wouldn't say "the Hawks need a rebuild" or "a big trade." I wouldn't even say they need to get rid (early retirement, etc.) of Hossa necessarily (which is in fact the soup-du-jour argument around here).

I will say this though: the window is now, so there is some pressure to win at least one more in the next 2-3 seasons. Is that greedy? Perhaps, but not as much as it is a matter of fully utilizing this opportunity of a Stanley Cup window, because if you've been here long enough, you realize how rare these windows are.

And yet I work with rabid Blues fans who - with zero cups in their franchise history - some how muster up the enthusiasm for their team. 

This core has done way more than was asked of them. If they don't win another one (and I honestly believe they have 1 or 2 more in them for sure) then they've gone above and beyond what anyone else's core has been able to accomplish in such a short time. In my short time on these boards I've seen that its so much easier for people to just complain about something than to look back and say wow - this has been an amazing ride - hope it continues but this team has accomplished so much. Instead its, Bowman sucks, Toews is overpaid, stop making excuses why they suck, etc. I know 14 other teams and fanbases that would have loved to have the season the Hawks had in 2016 - 1st round exit and all.  :P

But it takes all kind as my gma says. 

I'm really looking forward to this new season and seeing these youngsters come in. No matter what the outcome. I think Kempny will be a good addition. I was also talking to a Canucks fan and he was really upset that we got both Kempny and Forsling who we got from them for Clendening and who also had a good showing at Worlds and is only 19. 

Edited by ATNBlackhawksFan
  • Upvote 3

No one was overly aggravated that the Hawks went out in the first round this year -- I kinda think you're building a straw man here. At least, I really didn't see anyone freaking out about it for the whole off-season or anything; and the people who were overly upset were in the minority.

I wouldn't say "the Hawks need a rebuild" or "a big trade." I wouldn't even say they need to get rid (early retirement, etc.) of Hossa necessarily (which is in fact the soup-du-jour argument around here).

I will say this though: the window is now, so there is some pressure to win at least one more in the next 2-3 seasons. Is that greedy? Perhaps, but not as much as it is a matter of fully utilizing this opportunity of a Stanley Cup window, because if you've been here long enough, you realize how rare these windows are.

I didn't mean these boards, but ie. HFB.Generally, here on Hawks boards fans stay pretty cool and usually don't overreact.But even offering trade Seabrook or Crawford "to try make team somehow better" were imo far away from Hawks offseason strategy.I am pretty sure, 2016 team was one goal or one doublepost away from SCF against Pens imo.They needed adjust D-depth and that's exactly what they did.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

Didn't the Kings win the cup with rookies on either side of Carter?

Pretty much. The Pens did it too. Vets are nice, and Vermette may be a Hawk again too. He'd be a nice 3/4 liner again. And bring in 2 rookies this year, and when Roszival and Vermette are done next year, bring up two more. Hawks are in good shape. If Hossa decides he had enough, then I'm pretty positive that he'll accept the LTIR. He won't eff the Hawks like Datsyuk did to the wings!!!

And yet I work with rabid Blues fans who - with zero cups in their franchise history - some how muster up the enthusiasm for their team. 

This core has done way more than was asked of them. If they don't win another one (and I honestly believe they have 1 or 2 more in them for sure) then they've gone above and beyond what anyone else's core has been able to accomplish in such a short time. In my short time on these boards I've seen that its so much easier for people to just complain about something than to look back and say wow - this has been an amazing ride - hope it continues but this team has accomplished so much. Instead its, Bowman sucks, Toews is overpaid, stop making excuses why they suck, etc. I know 14 other teams and fanbases that would have loved to have the season the Hawks had in 2016 - 1st round exit and all.  :P

But it takes all kind as my gma says. 

I'm really looking forward to this new season and seeing these youngsters come in. No matter what the outcome. I think Kempny will be a good addition. I was also talking to a Canucks fan and he was really upset that we got both Kempny and Forsling who we got from them for Clendening and who also had a good showing at Worlds and is only 19. 

This comes down to one's personal perspective and my personal perspective includes so much appreciation for what the team has done the last seven years that I can handle the disappointment of an unsuccessful season. I was a toddler in 61 which means I lived through all 49 cup-less years and I was 29 when I celebrated my first recollect able Chicago sports title,which means I grew up during the 23 year championship drought that included last place finish after last place finish interrupted only by the occasional gut-wrenching choke.........that's MY perspective!

My perspective could indeed change if I ever thought the players or the organization no longer had the commitment to the team and the fanbase but I see NO trace of that what so ever......does anyone?

GO HAWKS!!!!!   

Edited by hsbob
  • Upvote 2

A Vesey-Toews-Schmaltz line in October are 2 rookies being hauled around by Toews, whereas by April Vesey and Schmaltz should have grown past the "rookie" stage. Trust is such an important thing with Q that if the rookies are going to contribute in the post season, they have to be given the opportunity to earn that trust earlier in the season.

This comes down to one's personal perspective and my personal perspective includes so much appreciation for what the team has done the last seven years that I can handle the disappointment of an unsuccessful season. I was a toddler in 61 which means I lived through all 49 cup-less years and I was 29 when I celebrated my first recollect able Chicago sports title,which means I grew up during the 23 year championship drought that included last place finish after last place finish interrupted only by the occasional gut-wrenching choke.........that's MY perspective!

My perspective could indeed change if I ever thought the players or the organization no longer had the commitment to the team and the fanbase but I see NO trace of that what so ever......does anyone?

GO HAWKS!!!!!   

Ditto. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty much. The Pens did it too. Vets are nice, and Vermette may be a Hawk again too. He'd be a nice 3/4 liner again. And bring in 2 rookies this year, and when Roszival and Vermette are done next year, bring up two more. Hawks are in good shape. If Hossa decides he had enough, then I'm pretty positive that he'll accept the LTIR. He won't eff the Hawks like Datsyuk did to the wings!!!

Agreed...unless the 'hawks eff him first.

I think the World Cup games will benefit Kempny quite a bit,his baptism on the smaller NA rink came against the best players in the world and he looked pretty good all things considered. Pat and Edzo mentioned the language barrier Wed night and we'll probably see Rosy out there with him in practice and a few pre-season games,hopefully not much in the regular season.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

This "kid" is a great signing, he's not the biggest guy but he's aggressive and solid on his feet. 

The two tournaments he played this summer showed how poised he is and his mobility but he's showing some grit and it's much needed on the back end.

• Upvote 1

I think Kempny looks like a great find, but he's also signed for just one year at a bargain price. What happens next year I wonder. At the moment he looks like he'll be a decently priced keeper.

tincup61 said on On 10/15/2016 at 10:41 PM:

I think Kempny looks like a great find, but he's also signed for just one year at a bargain price. What happens next year I wonder. At the moment he looks like he'll be a decently priced keeper.

he's stepped right in without much of problem......

hopefully sign him soon.........

mike

Kempny and Seabrook have been possession monsters. 62% Corsi over the past 8 games. The Blackhawks defensive depth chart is now: 

2-4-7-6-51-Everyone else. 

Got to see if there's a market for TVR cause he ain't gonna be playing much on this team. 

• Upvote 2

Puckjim said on 56 minutes ago:

Kempny and Seabrook have been possession monsters. 62% Corsi over the past 8 games. The Blackhawks defensive depth chart is now: 

Got to see if there's a market for TVR cause he ain't gonna be playing much on this team. 

would be fine to sign him before he scores more and until he's true rookie.

Puckjim said on 8 hours ago:

TvR got benched for playing the way Forsling has the last two but then again,his first name isn't Gustav and his last doesn't end in a 'son'

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

Modry-Jazyk said on 8 minutes ago:

TvR and Seabrook were exactly opposite, the worst Corsi dman pairing in the entire NHL....

There's no doubt that Kempny's a better D-man than TvR but there's also no doubt that Seabrook's a better player than he was last year too.

I really do like what I've seen from Kempny though!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Edited by hsbob