The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Modry-Jazyk

Michal Kempny D

It is a ton of one or two season forgetful players since Bob Murray. Some others: Hendry, O'Donnell, Kucera, Kukkonen, Eriksson, McKinnon, Côte, Ulanov, an many many more.

I don't know if he was the best but Lou Angotti was definitely my favorite #6!

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

#CapFriendly CONFIRMED Michal Kempny #Hawks 1 yr ELC - $700,000 cap hit + $225,000 GP bonuses + $212,500 'A' bonuses

That sounds awesome, and I'm excited about this guy. I don't think he'll have the impact of Panera, but as long as he can fill in for Oduya, I think it's a win/win. Remember here, the guy can skate very well, and I think he fits the Hawks system!!!

That sounds awesome, and I'm excited about this guy. I don't think he'll have the impact of Panera, but as long as he can fill in for Oduya, I think it's a win/win. Remember here, the guy can skate very well, and I think he fits the Hawks system!!!

Sounds like he could be better than Oduya, JO was around the same age when he finally made the NHL, but he panicked a lot in his own zone, got caught chasing a lot, and provided zero offense, I think Kempny can do better from what I noticed.

somehow I believe Bryan C. and this boy Kempny are missing pieces to complete next SCF run

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

somehow I believe Bryan C. and this boy Kempny are missing pieces to complete next SCF run

I'm betting you're right. And if Kempny can step up, B.C can keep sliding down the ranks as he heads towards retirement. Strong D wins Cups!!!

• Upvote 2

Campbell is a huge piece -- agree with you there.

However, we are still missing a piece: the one that Brandon Saad once played. We had him in 2015; we had Bickell (say what you want, but you can't deny it that playoff year) in 2013; we had Buff in 2010. We thought Ladd could fill it last playoffs (he couldn't). We need someone to fill in that piece, and I'm hoping that person is Vesey.

However, we are still missing a piece: the one that Brandon Saad once played. We had him in 2015; we had Bickell (say what you want, but you can't deny it that playoff year) in 2013; we had Buff in 2010. We thought Ladd could fill it last playoffs (he couldn't). We need someone to fill in that piece, and I'm hoping that person is Vesey.

yes, it's true about Saad.I meant missing pieces affordable in salary cap limits.Will be intersting with all those young players.

It's nice to hear about Runblad agreeing to terminate his contract. He was never gonna crack the lineup here, especially now with Soupy and Kempny in the fold. Kempny has basically made the likes of Runblad and a couple others deadwood now. I know he's still yet to play, but I'm sure he's better than Runblad, and a couple others that have seen time on the Hawks bottom pairings!!!

It's nice to hear about Runblad agreeing to terminate his contract. He was never gonna crack the lineup here, especially now with Soupy and Kempny in the fold. Kempny has basically made the likes of Runblad and a couple others deadwood now. I know he's still yet to play, but I'm sure he's better than Runblad, and a couple others that have seen time on the Hawks bottom pairings!!!

Agreed, but I'm going to be purposely obtuse here:

Runblad has been deadwood for awhile now--the arrival of Kempny didn't make Runblad deadwood.  Goose, Svedberg, & even Rosie made him deadwood.  Kempny made him...uh...deaderwood?

I get your point though.  Kmpny was the nail in his coffin even though his coffin should have been nailed shut and encased in concrete a long time ago.

Edited by LordKOTL

Agreed, but I'm going to be purposely obtuse here:

Runblad has been deadwood for awhile now--the arrival of Kempny didn't make Runblad deadwood.  Goose, Svedberg, & even Rosie made him deadwood.  Kempny made him...uh...deaderwood?

I get your point though.  Kmpny was the nail in his coffin even though his coffin should have been nailed shut and encased in concrete a long time ago.

That's probably the word that comes to my wife's mind when she sees me coming out of the shower ... brrrrm te!

• Upvote 1

I hope Stan isn't placing all his 1LW eggs in the Vesey basket because that interview he gave the Boston guy a couple weeks ago sure sounded like he wants to play in his home town Boston. It would be nice if he signs with the Hawks but I'd say the odds are pretty slim.

jersey #6......

reg fleming........what a character.......

gary suter..........

len frig...............lol

ivan droppa.......lol

mike

Call me a bloody ray of sunshine here, but if the 'hawks can spread out the legitimate night-in/night-out scoring threats to more than one line they should be fine.  We basically had Panarin and Kane last year. If the rumors of Hossa/Kruger are true that should give Toews a lot more room to work.

The 'hawks don't have to have the same teams as 2010, 2013, or 2015.  All of those teams were different from each other. We need a team that works as is more balanced than last year.  So far this offseason took a lot of steps in that direction IMHO.

Call me a bloody ray of sunshine here, but if the 'hawks can spread out the legitimate night-in/night-out scoring threats to more than one line they should be fine.  We basically had Panarin and Kane last year. If the rumors of Hossa/Kruger are true that should give Toews a lot more room to work.

The 'hawks don't have to have the same teams as 2010, 2013, or 2015.  All of those teams were different from each other. We need a team that works as is more balanced than last year.  So far this offseason took a lot of steps in that direction IMHO.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree.

No doubt we are much more balanced on D with Campbell, even if Kempny doesn't pan out for whatever reason. One huge void filled. One huge void still remains though, as I said before. I really don't see a scoring balance yet.

I don't see how moving Hossa off of Toews line gives Toews "more room to work," especially if you are planning on keeping the second line in tact. Right now, we still technically only have "one line," just like we did last year. Toews is on an island in this scenario. Panik won't change that.

The second line will have to be split in my view, but even then, I still don't think the lines are balanced offensively (at least, where the lineup currently stands). We also have gained zero speed in the forward core from last year.

I view this year as a tough year for the Hawks coming up. THere will be some huge growing pains, literally and figuratively, with all the youth that will be relied on. There's no doubt the Hawks are nowhere near as deep as they were last year, so to say they are more balanced than last year is somewhat of a contradiction, at least a a whole.

Toews is gonna be stuck with at least one rookie. Either Schmaltz, Motte, or if they end up getting Vesey. And Panik will be on the other side. That's they way she's probably gonna go. I'm sure Hossa will want top line minutes, and I'm sure he'll get them. Probably not for the whole year though!!!

Eh, I'm not sure I agree.

No doubt we are much more balanced on D with Campbell, even if Kempny doesn't pan out for whatever reason. One huge void filled. One huge void still remains though, as I said before. I really don't see a scoring balance yet.

I don't see how moving Hossa off of Toews line gives Toews "more room to work," especially if you are planning on keeping the second line in tact. Right now, we still technically only have "one line," just like we did last year. Toews is on an island in this scenario. Panik won't change that.

The second line will have to be split in my view, but even then, I still don't think the lines are balanced offensively (at least, where the lineup currently stands). We also have gained zero speed in the forward core from last year.

I view this year as a tough year for the Hawks coming up. THere will be some huge growing pains, literally and figuratively, with all the youth that will be relied on. There's no doubt the Hawks are nowhere near as deep as they were last year, so to say they are more balanced than last year is somewhat of a contradiction, at least a a whole.

More balanced with Campbell?  More like significantly deeper.  He can QB the powerplay--I would even daresay better than Keith.  He can bring rookies along.  He still has wheels, is good on the transition, and is not a liability in the backend.  Granted, this is on paper but the 'hawks D just got a major shot in the arm. 

The O might be more shallow, but Toews should get more room.  For one with Kruger there and the indication the he and Hoss will anchor a line means they'll likely take over shutdown duties--relieving Toews of that burden.  After all, on paper Kruger and Hossa should be able to give any opposing line fits--like the old Ladd/Bolland/Havlat line.  Further, I don't think the opposition is going to put their primary shutdown line on Toews.  Why would they?  They'd concentrate on Kane and Panarin who are bigger threats.

Even with being stuck with rookies (something Toews should be able to handle), he should have more room.  Kruger and Hossa should handle the heavy defense aspect and no coach in their right mind would give Kane, Panarin, or Both on the same line their 2nd string shutdown guys. 

• Upvote 1

There will be no tired excuses this year. Toews got the fat contract and needs to produce regardless of whos on his line thats the reality of it. I'm looking forward to some young guys stepping up and showing what they can do

There will be no tired excuses this year. Toews got the fat contract and needs to produce regardless of whos on his line thats the reality of it. I'm looking forward to some young guys stepping up and showing what they can do

The difference between an excuse and an explanation is perspective and this team needs no excuses.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 4

There will be no tired excuses this year. 

can you quote one of those tired excuses  from last season?

Edited by galaxytrash
  • Upvote 2

More balanced with Campbell?  More like significantly deeper.  He can QB the powerplay--I would even daresay better than Keith.  He can bring rookies along.  He still has wheels, is good on the transition, and is not a liability in the backend.  Granted, this is on paper but the 'hawks D just got a major shot in the arm. 

The O might be more shallow, but Toews should get more room.  For one with Kruger there and the indication the he and Hoss will anchor a line means they'll likely take over shutdown duties--relieving Toews of that burden.  After all, on paper Kruger and Hossa should be able to give any opposing line fits--like the old Ladd/Bolland/Havlat line.  Further, I don't think the opposition is going to put their primary shutdown line on Toews.  Why would they?  They'd concentrate on Kane and Panarin who are bigger threats.

Even with being stuck with rookies (something Toews should be able to handle), he should have more room.  Kruger and Hossa should handle the heavy defense aspect and no coach in their right mind would give Kane, Panarin, or Both on the same line their 2nd string shutdown guys. 

"More balanced" and "Significantly deeper" -- same difference, really.

I still don't see how Toews has "more room." Toews' line was never in a "shutdown role" ever, so I don't really get your point. Moving Hossa to the third helps that line in terms of being a shut down line -- yeah -- but doesn't necessarily "give Toews more room" or alleviate anything for Toews/his line. We saw this past year that other teams put their main focus on the 2nd line -- that didn't help Toews.

If anything, being "stuck" with rookies will not alleviate Toews' responsibilities (particularly in the D-zone, but also in the attack zone), but only increase them.

"More balanced" and "Significantly deeper" -- same difference, really.

I still don't see how Toews has "more room." Toews' line was never in a "shutdown role" ever, so I don't really get your point. Moving Hossa to the third helps that line in terms of being a shut down line -- yeah -- but doesn't necessarily "give Toews more room" or alleviate anything for Toews/his line. We saw this past year that other teams put their main focus on the 2nd line -- that didn't help Toews.

If anything, being "stuck" with rookies will not alleviate Toews' responsibilities (particularly in the D-zone, but also in the attack zone), but only increase them.

Yes he was.  With Kruger being down for most of the year Toews & Hossa were effectively in the shutdown role.  Anisimov couldn't win a faceoff if his life depended on it.  Beyond Anisimov out center depth was shallow.  You could trust Toews & Hossa (plus the also-ran) to shut down guys like Crosby, Ovi, etc. 

Moving Hossa & Kruger into the shutdown role means Toews doesn't have to take all of the lopsided against starts. Hossa/Kruger can do it. 

And IMHO more balanced doesn't mean the same as significantly deeper. More balanced would mean Q splits up Keith and Hjammer giving us at least one effective defensive vet on the top-2 pairings and we gamble with Seabrook's pairing--if he improves over last year, great.  If not his paring is used sparingly.  Significantly deeper adds an effective vet who can not only help the defensive side of the game by giving 3 effective D-anchors.  The same effective vet also give the ability to carry and develop rookies, QB a PP better than any of our current D-pieces, and if Seabrook improves it makes the D that much more formidable--if not the 'hawks are still much improved over last season.