The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Modry-Jazyk

Michal Kempny D

I'm not gonna lie, I had an awfully tough time understanding the translate. It sounded at first that he was going back to Avangaard, then it sounded like it was another team, then it sounds like the Hawks got him. So I'm gonna take Barry Smiths word and just say that we got him. Good signing for us..... But does this mean that we have to sign Roszival again to help smooth his transition? Hahahahaha. I hope not!!!

OK, I am not much better than google translator but I'll try.He said :

"I think it will be official soon, but I don't want to comment it now.But it's sure, that I will NOT play in Russia."

"There is one team, which was most interested on me and this is the team I will choose.They know how I play from A to Z.When I you feel such interest on you, there is no reason to hesistate.If it is Chicago I don't confirm yet (he smiles)"

"I don't know if my performance on Worlds helped me (to get contract) but they followed/watched me entire season and they know what they can expect from me"

As for Rozsival, Kempny doesn't need him, slovak and czech language are similar, we understand them, they understand us very well, so ie Panik could be Anisimov for him..

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 2

So it sounds like he's chosen our Hawks. I think with the Hawks little to no physical style, he'll replace Oduya, and that's exactly what we need. I'm pretty excited for this guy. He may need some time to acclimatize, but it'll be worth it!!!

So it sounds like he's chosen our Hawks. I think with the Hawks little to no physical style, he'll replace Oduya, and that's exactly what we need. I'm pretty excited for this guy. He may need some time to acclimatize, but it'll be worth it!!!

His stature is similar to Oduya, hopefully he's better in his own end with the puck and doesn't run around like Oduya did, and he seems to have more offensive upside.

from Twitter :

Jay Zawaski @JayZawaski670 3h3 hours ago

The Hawks signing Kempny is huge. One of the best d-men at the Worlds and pursued by several teams. Immediate starter, possible D4.

HabsLaughs @HabsLaughs 3h3 hours ago

The Hawks signed Kempny? That's the dude that Plekanec said Bergevin should sign.

Second City Hockey @2ndCityHockey 3h3 hours ago

You might get a top-four defensemen out of Kempny. You might get a bottom-two guy or nothing. I'm guessing the price is worth the risk.

General Fanager @generalfanager 3h3 hours ago

Michal Kempny's deal with #Blackhawks would be entry level so a 1-year deal with a cap hit somewhere between $575,000 - $925,000.

Mark D. Mahler @MGoose37 7m7 minutes ago

In the never ending search to get another defensemen Q won't play, the Hawks signed Michal Kempny. #Blackhawks #OneGoal

Mark Lazerus :

"The Hawks have had success mining Europe for affordable, NHL-caliber players. This past season, Artemi Panarin came over from the KHL to post 30 goals and 47 assists, and Erik Gustafsson went from Sweden to the Hawks blue line. Dennis Rasmussen also played 44 games for the Hawks after being signed out of Sweden two years ago. Both Panarin and Rasmussen were undrafted late-bloomers. The Hawks hope Kempny can be the same. The 6-foot, 174-pounder will be 26 when the season opens. He had five goals and 16 assists in the KHL this past season, his first year in Russia after six seasons in the Czech Republic. He had two assists in eight games and was a plus-7 at the just-completed World Championships."

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 2

In case not already posted. Kempny now is a Hawk as per CSN

Salary between 575 and 925k. TBA

Edited by cdnhawkfan

Hey, hope it turns out to be a good start.  After seeing Parayko for the Blues, as the new d man, and what he could do for them, I hope that Kempny can be the equivalent.  The Hawks need a lot of help in the d corps.  It is a start in the rebuilding effort. 

Glad the Hawks got this done as there is really no downside with this signing...though I wish it was for more than 1 year.

Yes, 2 would be better.I might be wrong but in his age (25 ) rules directly say about 1year ELC, one year less as at (24)..

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

from Twitter :

Jay Zawaski @JayZawaski670 3h3 hours ago

The Hawks signing Kempny is huge. One of the best d-men at the Worlds and pursued by several teams. Immediate starter, possible D4.

HabsLaughs @HabsLaughs 3h3 hours ago

The Hawks signed Kempny? That's the dude that Plekanec said Bergevin should sign.

Second City Hockey @2ndCityHockey 3h3 hours ago

You might get a top-four defensemen out of Kempny. You might get a bottom-two guy or nothing. I'm guessing the price is worth the risk.

General Fanager @generalfanager 3h3 hours ago

Michal Kempny's deal with #Blackhawks would be entry level so a 1-year deal with a cap hit somewhere between $575,000 - $925,000.

Mark D. Mahler @MGoose37 7m7 minutes ago

In the never ending search to get another defensemen Q won't play, the Hawks signed Michal Kempny. #Blackhawks #OneGoal

Mark Lazerus :

"The Hawks have had success mining Europe for affordable, NHL-caliber players. This past season, Artemi Panarin came over from the KHL to post 30 goals and 47 assists, and Erik Gustafsson went from Sweden to the Hawks blue line. Dennis Rasmussen also played 44 games for the Hawks after being signed out of Sweden two years ago. Both Panarin and Rasmussen were undrafted late-bloomers. The Hawks hope Kempny can be the same. The 6-foot, 174-pounder will be 26 when the season opens. He had five goals and 16 assists in the KHL this past season, his first year in Russia after six seasons in the Czech Republic. He had two assists in eight games and was a plus-7 at the just-completed World Championships."

Thanks for the updates on Kempny MJ,I'm pretty excited myself. None of us have seen this player step on NHL ice yet but his type of game has translated well in the past and playing with any of the Hawks top three guys won't hurt either.

I don't know who Mark D Mahler is because I don't tweet I guess but I got news for him..........

Q played TvR,Daley,Gustafsson,Svedberg,Ehrfoff and Scuderi.........he even played Rundblad against the Blues for Christ's sake!

He just wasn't happy with most of them but ALL were brought in by Stan Bowman and all of em got a shot.

GO HAWKS!!!!! 

I'm cautiously optimistic about Kempny. People (i.e. the beat writers, etc.) always over-hype new acquisitions.

• Upvote 3

the reason why I am optimistic is that as he said, Hawks followed him the entire season, so they don't buy "cat in a  sack".(It seems you'd say "pig in a poke".)

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

I'm cautiously optimistic about Kempny. People (i.e. the beat writers, etc.) always over-hype new acquisitions.

No reason not to be. ;)

Very excited about this, dont want to get my hopes to high, however from what I have read and hear he will certainly help out our battered defencemen.

Sign a vet d-man as well the Hawks should be looking good next season.

Go Hawks Go!!!

Edited by hawkinmontreal

Yes, 2 would be better.I might be wrong but in his age (25 ) rules directly say about 1year ELC, one year less as at (24)..

You are correct, I just saw that today in an article.  

Hopefully he shows more skill and longevity than the vast majority of 'Hawks that wore #6. It is kind of a dreaded number for the team.

Babchukaspx-1.jpg

Pfftt......

Edited by Puckjim

Hopefully he shows more skill and longevity than the vast majority of 'Hawks that wore #6. It is kind of a dreaded number for the team.

Time will tell if he is better than the great Remi Royer...

I'm with you on your assessment of MJ's post: what stuck out to me was that he doesn't get rattled with the puck in his own end...if he can do that for the Hawks he's right to 4D.

• Upvote 1

Just relying on memory....Kucera? Spacek?