The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Modry-Jazyk

Michal Kempny D

This is good news. We need something like this. If he can take minutes from the big 3, that helps. Let TvR develop at his own pace and on to the next Cup!!!

I wonder if there'll be an arrangement similar to Panarin's, with an out if he doesn't make the big club.

I wonder if there'll be an arrangement similar to Panarin's, with an out if he doesn't make the big club.

I'd bet you're right. It protects both parties. I think this is the way the Hawks have to go for a while. This way we can trade draft picks and prospects, cuz we basically got em elsewhere!!!

This is good news. We need something like this. If he can take minutes from the big 3, that helps. Let TvR develop at his own pace and on to the next Cup!!!

Definitely good news, hopefully we are able to find another "diamond in a rough" like Panarin.

24 year old KHL'er apparently going to sign in the NHL and the Hawks supposedly near a deal with him.  Multiple teams show interest in the blue liner.  Looks like he had a solid year in Russia as one of the leading defensemen in scoring in the league.  Could he maybe be another Panarin for us if he is signed here??

24 year old KHL'er apparently going to sign in the NHL and the Hawks supposedly near a deal with him. Multiple teams show interest in the blue liner. Looks like he had a solid year in Russia as one of the leading defensemen in scoring in the league. Could he maybe be another Panarin for us if he is signed here??

I doubt he'll be as big of an impact as Panera. Let's be real here, Panera was a rare find, he's top 10 in the NHL in scoring. Those types of finds are probably generational. If Kempny can step in and be what Oduya was, it's a home run. If he gives more, it's like finding a wallet full of money!!!

• Upvote 2

^ Agree. Honestly, I'm really not all that pumped for these D signings. It's true, I wasn't all that pumped for Panarin either, but like you say, that's rare.

I just feel like these guys aren't going to solve the plethora of problems on our back-end and that they're somewhat of a "best we can get with our (cap) situation" type signings. I hope I'm wrong.

^ Agree. Honestly, I'm really not all that pumped for these D signings. It's true, I wasn't all that pumped for Panarin either, but like you say, that's rare.

I just feel like these guys aren't going to solve the plethora of problems on our back-end and that they're somewhat of a "best we can get with our (cap) situation" type signings. I hope I'm wrong.

One thing to keep in mind, is that if Kempny can do what Oduya did, we now have a solid top 5, and not a solid top 3. Slotting TvR properly helps the team immensely. He needs a solid year or two back on the 3rd pairing. TvR was decent as a #4, and he got good experience this year, but he'd be better off playing against the less talented guys for a while, rather than face a #1 unit out there.

I know that sounds crazy, but I feel we were only one dman away from repeating!!!

• Upvote 2

^ I agree, and I have that hope too, but that's a big "if" isn't it? I don't know anything about Kempny, admittedly.

One thing to keep in mind, is that if Kempny can do what Oduya did, we now have a solid top 5, and not a solid top 3. Slotting TvR properly helps the team immensely. He needs a solid year or two back on the 3rd pairing. TvR was decent as a #4, and he got good experience this year, but he'd be better off playing against the less talented guys for a while, rather than face a #1 unit out there.

I know that sounds crazy, but I feel we were only one dman away from repeating!!!

Good post T, and I agree.  Even though Kempny has never played in the NHL he is still a veteran professional and will hopefully be able to make a seamless transition into the NHL.  Being able to allow TVR to continue his development without being asked to do to much too soon will pay dividends down the road.  

^ I agree, and I have that hope too, but that's a big "if" isn't it? I don't know anything about Kempny, admittedly.

Stan and co are numbers guys, and he must have decent numbers for them to wanna sign him. From the 2 games I seen, he looked like a top 4 in the world championships. He looked good for the Czechs. I think he'll be a good addition!!!

Sign em 3 yr/ .750k per

Veteran player with 8 seasons played, who were Top 10-20 in most of stats in KHL among dmen would not take 750K contract if other three NHL teams besides Hawks were interested on him.

But his contract is already defined by the rules, he can sign only ELC/1 year contract (925K).

USA defeated Czechia today in QF (SO) so now Kempny can sign his first NHL contract.As all teams can offer him only same ELC + bonuses, it's all about his preferences and based on those articles it seems Hawks are his #1 choice.As Stan Bowman is there too, they may have some speak right there.

it looks other teams chasing Kempny are Canucks and Sabres, so it's easy choice for him.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/05/18/report-canucks-chasing-czech-defenceman-michal-kempny/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Blackhawks Breakdown @HawksBreakdown 4h4 hours ago

Tyler Motte and Michal Kempny spending some quality time together during USA's win today.

Ci1_xutUgAEIBWI.jpg

Jay Zawaski @JayZawaski670 8h8 hours ago Chicago, IL

Kempny though, even after just a handful of shifts, plays with a lot of poise and confidence. When he's on the ice, he's in charge.

Scott Powers observations on Kempny are very positive  :

https://theathletic.com/2016/05/17/blackhawks-michal-kempny-defense/

some quotes if ypu aren't subscriber and article is already locked for you :

* The first play I saw him make was impressive. He began skating with the puck out of the defensive zone and encountered a single forechecker. He spun around with the puck, avoided the defender and prepared for another breakout. He then carried the puck out of the defensive zone and into the neutral zone. As he approached the blue line, he pulled his stick back and was going to dump the puck. Instead he saw a teammate making a cut across the blue line, and Kempny quickly hit him with a short pass. His play recognition was noticeable throughout the day.

* Kempny never seemed rattled or uneasy when there was pressure on him with the puck in the defensive zone. There were times when he used his skating ability to avoid the forecheck, and others when he found an open teammate to get it to. He also seemed to understand that sometimes it’s best to just clear the puck out of the zone to avoid a turnover.

* He has a strong shot and can get it off while moving laterally. He was often the lone defenseman on the point for the Czech Republic’s power play. On a power-play goal against Switzerland, he skated across the point from right to left while always ready to shoot. He was patient and finally released a shot that was redirected at the net for a goal, recording the primary assist. He has two points in seven tournament games and has averaged a little more than two shots on net per game.

* Kempny was aggressive a few times getting up in the play, but he was mostly mindful of his defensive responsibilities. I don’t recall any odd-man rushes occurring while he was on the ice at even strength. He’s a plus-7, which is tied for the team lead, so he’s obviously on the ice for more goals for than goals against.

* The defenseman can skate. He’s not a speed demon, but he can get around. He wasn’t challenged much in one-on-one scenarios, so it’s difficult to gauge his gap positioning and speed getting back.

* At 6-foot and about 190 pounds, Kempny can skate. He wasn’t extremely physical, but he also wasn’t being tossed around. He played on the penalty kill and worked to deny the opponent’s net-front presence.

* Kempny wears an “A” for the Czech Republic, which has been one of the surprise stories at the Worlds. The Czech Republic won five games in regulation, one in overtime and lost once in overtime to accumulate 18 points in pool play. The roster includes only four NHL players.

* Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has been in St. Petersburg with Team USA, so he hasn’t seen Kempny in person during the tournament yet. That will change Thursday when the U.S. plays the Czech Republic in a quarterfinal game.

* Here’s what Bowman said of Kempny on Sunday: “He’s a mobile defenseman. He’s got that mixture of offense and defense. I would call him a really well-rounded guy. He can defend well in his own end. Mobility, he’s a good skater. He can transition the puck. He can sort of play a well-rounded game, which I think as a defenseman, you’ve seen our team play a lot, you have to be able to defend for our coaches to be able to rely on you. He’s got that ability to sort of play both ways.”
Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 2

you can also look at all Hawks stats on IIHF Worlds, it looks pretty impresive for Kempny, he looks like perfect fit for puck possesion team : (blackhawksbreakdown already consider him as Hawk lol)

here is the post: http://fans.blackhawks.nhl.com/community/topic/39172-2016-iihwc-in-russia/?p=1597278

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 2

* Kempny never seemed rattled or uneasy when there was pressure on him with the puck in the defensive zone. There were times when he used his skating ability to avoid the forecheck, and others when he found an open teammate to get it to. He also seemed to understand that sometimes it’s best to just clear the puck out of the zone to avoid a turnover.

All of this post was extremely encouraging, but this especially made my mouth water. This was a huge problem with the D core this year, especially the rookies.

Technically, he hasn't signed yet, correct?

you can also look at all Hawks stats on IIHF Worlds, it looks pretty impresive for Kempny, he looks like perfect fit for puck possesion team : (blackhawksbreakdown already consider him as Hawk lol)

here is the post: http://fans.blackhawks.nhl.com/community/topic/39172-2016-iihwc-in-russia/?p=1597278

I focused on him yesterday while watching the game and I have to say I was very impressed by what I saw.  Reminds me alot of Brian Campbell.  

• Upvote 1

According to Barry Smith, the Hawks have signed him. Yesterday it was "very close" today it's "Stan Bowman and co have tabled an offer, which he is going to accept".

So look for this to be complete by the end of the weekend. I'm sure he's gonna at least mull over the other offers. We have to wonder if his representation is talking to him about the Hawks cap space and they probably won't be able to afford him going forward? But Chicago is a world class city, and I'm sure guys like Hossa ( I know he's a Slovak) have reached out to him, or Panera (cuz he played in the same league as him, and found success in Chicago).

Let's hope Barry is right!!!

• Upvote 3

According to Barry Smith, the Hawks have signed him. Yesterday it was "very close" today it's "Stan Bowman and co have tabled an offer, which he is going to accept".

So look for this to be complete by the end of the weekend. I'm sure he's gonna at least mull over the other offers. We have to wonder if his representation is talking to him about the Hawks cap space and they probably won't be able to afford him going forward? But Chicago is a world class city, and I'm sure guys like Hossa ( I know he's a Slovak) have reached out to him, or Panera (cuz he played in the same league as him, and found success in Chicago).

of course those players want play long season and win SC, besides money it's their highest priority.In this case, when he can get only same 1 year ELC with bonuses from a team, SC chances are second  difference maker and there is no team in the NHL better than Blackhaws to chose.Even other things on list are great, the city, team class and history, fans, etc, I never doubted he makes same decision as Panarin did.Also it's good for Hawks, they could get good dman for cheap money/cap with zero risk (as 925K can be buried in AHL or Europe w/o cap penalty).

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he is right

I'm not gonna lie, I had an awfully tough time understanding the translate. It sounded at first that he was going back to Avangaard, then it sounded like it was another team, then it sounds like the Hawks got him. So I'm gonna take Barry Smiths word and just say that we got him. Good signing for us..... But does this mean that we have to sign Roszival again to help smooth his transition? Hahahahaha. I hope not!!!

I'm not gonna lie, I had an awfully tough time understanding the translate. It sounded at first that he was going back to Avangaard, then it sounded like it was another team, then it sounds like the Hawks got him. So I'm gonna take Barry Smiths word and just say that we got him. Good signing for us..... But does this mean that we have to sign Roszival again to help smooth his transition? Hahahahaha. I hope not!!!

I hope not as well, not sure how Rozsival eases someone's transition when they have to cover for him after his many turnovers or just plain getting beat.

I really hope old Barry is right and Stan got this guy, the limited time I seen him I was very impressed.

I'm sure he'll have the same clause as Panarin, that if he doesn't make the team he can go back overseas. Which I doubt will happen.

Even if Stan doesn't get a top 4 damn, which he should though, the D looks OK with the big 3 refreshed with a long break, TVR, Gustafsson and Kempny.

Q will do the opposite but I'd go with-

TVR/Kempny-Keith

Seabrook-Gustafsson

TVR/Kempny-Hjalmarsson

Campbell, Hamhuis, or Russell would be a nice addition on D though, much better veteran D then Rozsival.