The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Modry-Jazyk

Around The League - Other Teams' News

yesterday Dallas, St.Louis and Minnesota, all win, now of course Nashville defeated San Jose 2:1 ....

so far

Central Division : gp62 - 39-18-5  

Pacific Division  : gp66 - 26-33-7 

The Blackhawks with six wins out of nine games currently hold only the second wild card while  Winnnipeg Jets are out of playoff spot but would be 2nd best team in Pacific Division...

This playoff format is IMO unfair, only top or top two teams in each division should make first group in the playoffs and remaining 4-6 spots should be wild cards for highest-placed teams in the conference regardless of division.

well, two important games just ahead of us...

As long as winning the division is rewarded w/home ice against non-division playoff entrants I am fine.

i wouldnt be fine with it if chicago finished 8th in the conference in points but missed the playoffs because of the 3 spots allotted to the pacific division. its a flawed setup.

hopefully this doesnt happen.

• Upvote 1

i wouldnt be fine with it if chicago finished 8th in the conference in points but missed the playoffs because of the 3 spots allotted to the pacific division. its a flawed setup.

has it happened yet? I mean, that the top3 of each division actually finished 9th and below in the conference? just wondering. I read somewhere that mathematically and the way the games are scheduled against division/conference team, that the top3 of each division is near impossible to finish lower than 8th, conference overall.

has it happened yet? I mean, that the top3 of each division actually finished 9th and below in the conference? just wondering. I read somewhere that mathematically and the way the games are scheduled against division/conference team, that the top3 of each division is near impossible to finish lower than 8th, conference overall.

i dont think it has, but its entirely possible to lose a home ice advantage, or at the very least to play a higher seed than a team with less points than you.

for example, if the playoffs started today, we would be the second wildcard playing the number 1 seed nashville, even though we finished ahead of 2 other pacific teams. it just seems messed up to me.

now, if it were to work to chicagos advantage, you wouldnt hear a peep out of me.

:D

• Upvote 1

All setups are flawed in some way, shape, or form.

If they has a pure top-8 of the conference as the playoff seeding it's possible and likely that all but 1 team in the west, or all teams in the east of a particular division make the playoffs.  Since the Central again looks like the Alpha-division, that would mean that the entire. west. coast. loses out on the playoffs.  That's a lot of ratings and advertising revenue lost, which hurts the league and makes the divisions irrelevant yet again.

Top 4 in each division just exacerbates the problem as it is now.  LA, Vancouver, and AZ would be seeded higher than CHI (as they are now), But SJ would take their playoff spot.

Honestly, I think either the system as it is now is best, or move to the top-2 in the division make it and there are 4 wildcards.  Either are about the best balance you can have at keeping the divisions relevant and making sure the top teams get in.

Besides, we're early in the season.  Stuff is going to change especially when we play in-division opponents more.

• Upvote 2

All setups are flawed in some way, shape, or form.

If they has a pure top-8 of the conference as the playoff seeding it's possible and likely that all but 1 team in the west, or all teams in the east of a particular division make the playoffs.  Since the Central again looks like the Alpha-division, that would mean that the entire. west. coast. loses out on the playoffs.  That's a lot of ratings and advertising revenue lost, which hurts the league and makes the divisions irrelevant yet again.

Top 4 in each division just exacerbates the problem as it is now.  LA, Vancouver, and AZ would be seeded higher than CHI (as they are now), But SJ would take their playoff spot.

Honestly, I think either the system as it is now is best, or move to the top-2 in the division make it and there are 4 wildcards.  Either are about the best balance you can have at keeping the divisions relevant and making sure the top teams get in.

Besides, we're early in the season.  Stuff is going to change especially when we play in-division opponents more.

I would not mind a pure top 8 as long as there are no divisions (like Basketball has done), and each team NEEDS to play each other an even amount of times home and away...and there is not East/West division by having teams from both coasts and in-between within each conference to reduce the "travel distance" gripe.

M-J,

The Central will be better but as we've seen some teams pace themselves; others do not. The league allows teams to get away with this tactic and the Hawks do it the best.

I would not mind a pure top 8 as long as there are no divisions (like Basketball has done), and each team NEEDS to play each other an even amount of times home and away...and there is not East/West division by having teams from both coasts and in-between within each conference to reduce the "travel distance" gripe.

Apply that strategy to baseball and you do not have the NY Mets. A team that has proven it is the best team in the NL by making moves at different parts of their season.

Division play matters. Structure the league to have teams play harder night after night so a premium in on getting points and winning the division you sit in.

These guys get paid big money; make them earn it.

i dont think it has, but its entirely possible to lose a home ice advantage, or at the very least to play a higher seed than a team with less points than you.

for example, if the playoffs started today, we would be the second wildcard playing the number 1 seed nashville, even though we finished ahead of 2 other pacific teams. it just seems messed up to me.

now, if it were to work to chicagos advantage, you wouldnt hear a peep out of me.

your gripe about home field is accurate. but I do think that when 82 game season is over, the top3 of the division wouldn't finish below 8th overall in the conference. I cant find the article where I read it from. I had the same thought, when the new divisions were announced, until I read it

I know its way too early and alot of things can happen - but my bf is a Pens fan and so I watch a lot of their games. They have the same record/points as the Blackhawks and are sitting in a wildcard position right now - while we are out. And we have more points than 3rd in Atlantic and Pacific. 

Again, its a long season and I'm not panicking - but it does irk me. 

But the boys can and will pull it together and get in the playoffs. My little red and black Blackhawks heart fully believes that. 

But the boys can and will pull it together and get in the playoffs. My little red and black Blackhawks heart fully believes that.

now im in a tizzy,

i always imagined your heart as white as the driven snow.

• Upvote 1

your gripe about home field is accurate. but I do think that when 82 game season is over, the top3 of the division wouldn't finish below 8th overall in the conference. I cant find the article where I read it from. I had the same thought, when the new divisions were announced, until I read it

well said. no sense bitching about it now.

like you posted, after 82 games, the sands and the sediments should settle the way theyre supposed to.

still....

Hawks were robbed by refrees with quick whistle at least 2x in close games.It's difference 2-4 pts Hawks could have had.And those 4 pts its difference between 1st and 6th place in Central D.

Refrees should use whistle more carefully in such goal situations, this is not pond hockey.A questionable goal can be disallowed later after video review, but quick whistle makes whole thing irreversible.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 3

M-J,

Breaks usually even out for the good teams. The argument for point totals deciding who makes the playoffs or for home ice/field advantage doesn't hold water for any number of reasons.

Enroth only had to stop 20 last night in StLou,Fiddy has to be rockin his Turris jersey somewhere and Boston willingly traded away a young,genegational talent..........last night put an exclamation point on that! 

DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!!!!

I see Dallas is still spotting the other team 3 goals a game. They are a good team - but how sustainable is it for the rest of the season for them to score at least 4 goals a game to win.

Seguin is a beast. Everytime I see people yell trade Kane - I  always think about how Boston traded 2 pure goal scorers in Kessel and Seguin. A hatty against your former team has to feel pretty darned good.

Maybe the Leafs will do us another solid tonight and beat the Jets :D

• Upvote 1

:D Getzlaf

I know its petty - and whatever - but that made me smile.  B)

Also, speaking of the Ducks. There is a show called Hockey Wives that I watch. Jason Labarbera - who was the Black Ace goalie for the Ducks revealed on the show's opener that during game 6 of the WCF that all the press box people got so excited when Stoner made it 3-2 and they were so convinced that they were gonna win that they all left the pressbox. Which granted - he did make it 3-2 with like 18 minutes left in the 3rd and they hadn't lost in regulation the entire playoffs - so meh - I get it - but I thought it was interesting that he was like - we just knew we were going to win so we all left the press box and went downstairs. They never lead a second in that game - so that was a strong belief. 

Edited by ATNBlackhawksFan
  • Upvote 1

I see Dallas is still spotting the other team 3 goals a game. They are a good team - but how sustainable is it for the rest of the season for them to score at least 4 goals a game to win.

Seguin is a beast. Everytime I see people yell trade Kane - I  always think about how Boston traded 2 pure goal scorers in Kessel and Seguin. A hatty against your former team has to feel pretty darned good.

Maybe the Leafs will do us another solid tonight and beat the Jets :D

Maybe the Stars are the 80's Oilers in Back to the Future super sequel.
  • Upvote 1