The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

The cost of winning championships, the same thing happens in all sports, athletes want to be paid after bringing home the top prize, its how management deals with it that keeps the team moving forward. There is not a team in all pro sports that has dealt with the loss of players, cap issues that the hawks have and they still continue to move forward. Yes there is a lack of depth in the back end and its a reason to be concerned however the hawks will have to either let the kids live amd learn or make a blockbuster trade to free up cap space and make the backend stronger.

For a team that has no cap space we have Bickell, Fleichmann, Erhoff not playing, still paying Scuderi, had Trevor Daley, get Ladd and Weise at the trade deadline (cap still counting), Kruger never on the LTIR (I think), etc.

So plenty of room. We'll be fine !

The cost of winning championships, the same thing happens in all sports, athletes want to be paid after bringing home the top prize, its how management deals with it that keeps the team moving forward. There is not a team in all pro sports that has dealt with the loss of players, cap issues that the hawks have and they still continue to move forward. Yes there is a lack of depth in the back end and its a reason to be concerned however the hawks will have to either let the kids live amd learn or make a blockbuster trade to free up cap space and make the backend stronger.

It is the price of success. As much as I would love T&K to have a less cap hit, the reality is what those two have done for the team and league is huge. The salary matches what has been accomplished thus far.

It is the price of success. As much as I would love T&K to have a less cap hit, the reality is what those two have done for the team and league is huge. The salary matches what has been accomplished thus far.

McD would have been burned in effigy if he let any of 2/4/7/19/88 walk.  The footprints for the statues are probably already planned.  He is a marketing guy first, and he realizes that when he was brought in by Rocky that the brand is most important.  They brought back player ambassadors that his Dad banished and we love him for it.  I will never complain about what any of those players make - they've earned it 10x over.  

But the cap and success do not mesh well and it's a patchwork to maintain.  They've done a tremendous job - look at the turnover since 2010, but just like the Wings who Papa Bowman knows inside and out, the Hawks have to balance FA/trades and building from within.  They really swung for the fence to repeat this year, but ran out of bullets with that 4D position.  That and the TDL acquisitions just didn't put them over the hump.  They gave it their all though

• Upvote 2

any team that has Rundblad and E Gustaffson on defesne in game 7 has problems.

we can thank our GM for that

the D- for the Sharp trade given on last page was generous

he compunded it by giivng away Daley and garbutt

• Upvote 2

I think the salary matches what the cap was expected to rise to at the time because of the rogers deal and not expecting the free fall of the Canadian dollar.

Guys I'm scared. I'm scared that we have a stretch of first round exits because we continue to have a gapping hole. Before Anisimov/Richards there was no 2nd line center for Kane. Now we have no one to help with the top 3 Dmen. I think TvR will pan out okay, but I have a bad feeling it's going to continue to be a revolving door for the bottom pair and It's going to hinder the Hawks when there is no cap space

Think of this, Hawks trade Shaw, TT and Bickell to the Oilers for Eberle.

Shaw 2 million, TT 1.2, Bickell 4 million. That's 7+ million, Eberle is at 6 million. We save a million. And bring up Motte.

Eberle Toews Motte

Kane AA Panera

Hossa Kruger Panik

Desi Kero Hartman or whoever.

That is a highly possible lineup. And maybe with some tinkering, a UFA dman!!!

Losing Daley was one thing; getting only Scuderi back was worse. And THEN he went back to L.A.

Did not see the benefit in losing Garbutt and Danault...and adding chaff like Ehrhoff who was a pylon in Vancouver.

It's not the Kane/Toews deals that hurt teams as much as the Huet/Bickell ones. I love Dave Bolland to pieces, but FLA's deal w/ him is going to weigh that team down, unless he comes back 100%. And even then his deal is still quite steep for what he can provide.

Edited by WesIsaLeo
  • Upvote 1

David Kaplan on CSN just said he has a source that says they want to get long-term extensions done with Panarin and Hjalmarsson done soon.

That Anisimov and Kruger will likely be dealt.

David Kaplan on CSN just said he has a source that says they want to get long-term extensions done with Panarin and Hjalmarsson done soon.

So the 2LC hole is back! and throw in a 3LC hole! Anisimov did a lot of dirty work on that line.  

Unless Desi is the new 3LC? 

Not sure why the need to extend Hjammer at this point - he has years left on his contract

Edited by GV4186

Interesting in dealing both Ani and Kruger. Guess centers are over rated and the new plan is to have nothing but wingers to confuse the opposition.

Anisimov and Kruger? And SB dealt Danault? Are we going to play with centers next season?

So the 2LC hole is back! and throw in a 3LC hole! Anisimov did a lot of dirty work on that line.  

Unless Desi is the new 3LC? 

Not sure why the need to extend Hjammer at this point - he has years left on his contract

He's a free agent in 2 years but that doesn't mean they can't extend him soon before he reaches the market. It wouldn't kick in until 2018-19 season anyways. But they'd need to start clearing cap space and forward thinking things.

Anisimov and Kruger? And SB dealt Danault? Are we going to play with centers next season?

Yeah I don't quite get it. Unless the plan is to fully put Teravainen at center which I think is a mistake of epic proportions. Kero is a center. Maybe they get one back in a deal.

I know that 2nd line had a great season and Anisimov exceeded my expectations but I'm still not a big fan of his. I also do love Kruger's game for what he is but we overpaid him on the extension.

I think that's a mistake, and I doubt it'll happen. I don't see where you can get a 2nd and 3rd line center for 7 million?

I still feel that Bickell will be dealt, I'd hope with TT. I personally feel TT will become a solid player elsewhere, but not sure he fits in well with the Hawks. But, then again, is almost impossible to not fit in on Kane's line. But TT weakens the hell out of that line.

I can see Kruger goin, but AA I think is a good guy to keep around!!!

• Upvote 2

I can understand moving MK. I can't understand AA...even as bad as he is at the dot. We have FINALLY added a center who CAN be a #2 when Panarin and Kane are on his wings. I wouldn't touch that line with a ten foot pole.

Move MK and add Kero. Ask Bergiven for a mulligan and get back Danault.

• Upvote 1

Panarin-AA-Kane = 2015-16 bread and butter line

Panarin-TT-Kane = potential 2016-17 Charmin line...no way...way too soft

Can't move AA.

• Upvote 1

If the cupboards are getting bare, and staniel trades AA, and allows TT to be 2nd line center, he's on a race to the top of the unemployment line!!!

• Upvote 2

I hope that's true, AA played solid but he's terrible at faceoffs and not consistant on offense. Kruger provides very little offense for 3mill but is great on the PK and faceoffs. Those are two forwards that could help the young Oilers squad.

And the Hawks get a skilled top 6 winger.

• Upvote 1

Highly doubt AA is dealt, Kruger I could see getting moved along with TT(maybe somehow Bickel goes with) if that's the case I think Hawks could sign shaw and maybe add a good Vet D man on a one year chance to win deal. Reality is that 2 or 3 of the kids in Rockford are gonna have to step up: Hartman, Motte, Schmaltz,McNeil, Pokka, etc. Also TVR needs to take a step foward,i think he will in the next year or two, seems like a sharp kid and wasn't awful despite being thrown to the wolves by bowman&Q as a top 4 d guy. Crawford has really grown on me and I'd hate to see him go but he could yield a decent return and free up cap space. I think Hossa has two decent years left IF, his workload is controlled and gets at least 9/10 games off a year.

I would not be shocked to see Kruger dealt but moving AA absolutely would shock me. I just don't see Stan breaking up what was very clearly the best line in hockey for the majority of this season.

Just because Stan made good on his promise to give Kruger an extension does not guarantee that said contract was going to get paid by the Hawks. Kruger did the Hawks a solid and in return they did the same for him in getting his "big money" deal done, but I'm not convinced that all of, if any, of that deal is played out in Chicago. He will carry value to a team in need of experience and defensive help.

• Upvote 2