The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Gagner for Oduya and Pirri.

1. Don't want Gagner

2. Don't want to trade Oduya

The Blackhawks are a better team with Oduya in the line-up, he stays. If you're looking at Gagner for the 2C roles we at least have some stop-gap options (Shaw, Versteeg, Kruger, Handzus). But who takes Oduya's minutes? Leddy isn't ready and the 3 guys the rotate in the 6D role aren't a realistic option.

• Upvote 5

#bringbackfraser

^ #DoesDallasStillHaveBurishLockedUp

#eager

LOL

but seriously, anyway they can pry Santorelli from Vancouver? cheap useful guy that can play 2C

• Upvote 1

IF!! and I mean a big IF!! the hawks do decide to look for a 2C this season, i think Leddy is the biggest bargaining chip. i would suggest the islanders Leddy + ?? for Frans Nielsen and Andrew Macdonald. it solves the 2C and the spot Leddy would be leaving. Islanders will get their puck moving D and a young high potential prospect.

There's no cap space to acquire a legitimate second line centre. It's possible if Stan trades Brookbank and the other team retains salary but that could be costly for us (pick or prospect wise).

trade our overpayed 4M bottom line forward and create space for more important 2C.

Shaw/Kruger are not 2C solution and 3rd line without Shaw or 4th line without Kruger are much worse.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

#eager

LOL

but seriously, anyway they can pry Santorelli from Vancouver? cheap useful guy that can play 2C

Santorelli may be the ideal 2C rental, great stats and low cap hit ($550K). But for these reasons Vancouver wouldn't want to part with him. The only hope we'd have is that they want to go another direction next season so they decide to trade him for one of our mid-level prospects (i.e. Pirri).

I said this at end of last season, with Bolland on the team his wingers would change every season yet every season his line would be a great checking line, contribute on the score board and then come the playoffs he would step to another level.

• Upvote 4

The fourth line center is property of the Hawks right now. The Hawks need defense: smart on the outlet, crease clearing, defense.

and naturally since CC sucks they're in need of a goalie.

Edited by Babinich

trade our overpayed 4M bottom line forward and create space for more important 2C.

Shaw/Kruger are not 2C solution and 3rd line without Shaw or 4th line without Kruger are much worse.

Yes, because the list of teams who want Bickell is so long and the Hawks would get so much in return.

• Upvote 1

I'm amazed at how much topics like this are engaged, without any attempt to even define the parameters first (which would pre-empt 99% of the posts here).

At the risk of bursting the fantasy GM bubble, the only possible addition to 2LC this season will be TT.

Reasons

1. Zus, the guy who scored two of the biggest goals in last season's playoffs - (the tying goal in game 6 in Detroit & the opening goal in game 4 in Boston, a shortie at that on a 2 on 1 break with Saad) and contributed to the PK despite a hand injury, will be counted on again. He played 2C between his countryman Hossa & Sharp & could do so again, depending on what line combos are to Q's liking a the time - could have Shaw at 2C like he has recently between Kane & Saad, or he could have TT there if he gets the call after his FEL season is over (as I expect he will) & impresses. As a coach, not surprisingly, Q loves to have as many options available to him & I expect he'll get a close look.

2. Capgeek lists the hawks as having $1,114,156 in cap room now & at the deadline - even if they were looking for a 2C (which I don't think they are given Zus, Shaw & TT), they couldn't afford one under the cap

In fact they can't afford adding any significant salary & the only guy Stan has ever dealt from a contending team is Cam Barker (a 3rd overall pick who was the hawks 5th or 6th dman who Fletcher stupidly thought had big upside into a top 4 but couldn't get the opportunity in Chicago & offered Leddy in return). There are no Barkers on the hawks roster this season to move so don't expect any subtractions from a contending roster again this season.

The only potentially significant "deadline" addition Stan can (& I expect will) make is bringing TT & his $925K salary over from Finland.

• Upvote 2

Yes, because the list of teams who want Bickell is so long and the Hawks would get so much in return.

I think 4M more cap space would be enough in return ... with cap increase it would be enough room to acquire ~5M 2nd line center for next season.Maybe Florida could use him with expected 8M cap floor increase.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

I'm amazed at how much topics like this are engaged, without any attempt to even define the parameters first (which would pre-empt 99% of the posts here).

At the risk of bursting the fantasy GM bubble, the only possible addition to 2LC this season will be TT.

Reasons

1. Zus, the guy who scored two of the biggest goals in last season's playoffs - (the tying goal in game 6 in Detroit & the opening goal in game 4 in Boston, a shortie at that on a 2 on 1 break with Saad) and contributed to the PK despite a hand injury, will be counted on again. He played 2C between his countryman Hossa & Sharp & could do so again, depending on what line combos are to Q's liking a the time - could have Shaw at 2C like he has recently between Kane & Saad, or he could have TT there if he gets the call after his FEL season is over (as I expect he will) & impresses. As a coach, not surprisingly, Q loves to have as many options available to him & I expect he'll get a close look.

2. Capgeek lists the hawks as having $1,114,156 in cap room now & at the deadline - even if they were looking for a 2C (which I don't think they are given Zus, Shaw & TT), they couldn't afford one under the cap

In fact they can't afford adding any significant salary & the only guy Stan has ever dealt from a contending team is Cam Barker (a 3rd overall pick who was the hawks 5th or 6th dman who Fletcher stupidly thought had big upside into a top 4 but couldn't get the opportunity in Chicago & offered Leddy in return). There are no Barkers on the hawks roster this season to move so don't expect any subtractions from a contending roster again this season.

The only potentially significant "deadline" addition Stan can (& I expect will) make is bringing TT & his $925K salary over from Finland.

I agree, 100%. The 2C dilemma will only be resolved from within. I think Shaw will hold down the fort until TT is ready with Zeus playing on the 3rd line. Stan may look externally for help on the 4th line, maybe Santorelli, Garbutt or Fraser.

I agree, 100%. The 2C dilemma will only be resolved from within. I think Shaw will hold down the fort until TT is ready with Zeus playing on the 3rd line. Stan may look externally for help on the 4th line, maybe Santorelli, Garbutt or Fraser.

3rd line changed from solid scoring line to almost useless line with limited TOI after Shaw was moved to 2nd line.I don't think Shaw as 2C is solution.Same applies for Kruger as 2C and 4th checking line quality .

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

3rd line changed from solid scoring line to almost useless line with limited TOI after Shaw was moved to 2nd line.I don't think Shaw as 2C is solution.Same applies for Kruger as 2C and 4th checking line quality .

You are correct, while Shaw and Kruger bring nice qualities to the table neither is a long term solution to the 2LC problem.

You are correct, while Shaw and Kruger bring nice qualities to the table neither is a long term solution to the 2LC problem.

Relistically we have 2 good options to fill the 2C, 3C, and 4C spots. Barring a trade and until TT is ready that means one of the lines will have to suffer with Handzus. The 4th line has been solid so let's leave Kruger there, so that means Q has to choose which line suffers, the 2nd or the 3rd.

Relistically we have 2 good options to fill the 2C, 3C, and 4C spots. Barring a trade and until TT is ready that means one of the lines will have to suffer with Handzus. The 4th line has been solid so let's leave Kruger there, so that means Q has to choose which line suffers, the 2nd or the 3rd.

I think best solution for near future would be recall healthy Pirri for 2C spot ASAP and then move Shaw back to 3rd line to make it worth line again.

For playoffs and/or next seasons to try acquire proven, veteran, skilled 2C.I know fans are talking about TT as much as they were talking about Pirri during past 2 years, but I guess SB will try make trade.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

I think best solution for near future would be recall healthy Pirri for 2C spot ASAP and then move Shaw back to 3rd line to make it worth line again.

For playoffs and/or next seasons to try acquire proven, veteran, skilled 2C.I know fans are talking about TT as much as they were talking about Pirri during past 2 years, but I guess SB will try make trade.

Why Pirri? Prior to his injury he wasn't playing well in Rockford. Most nights Pirri was centering Rockfords 3rd line.

If Mills was healthy he'd be playing in Chicago, but I think the next best choice would be Nordstrom to centre on of the bottom 2 lines.

Honestly, Shaw, Kane, and Saad have looked good together. Shaw gives that line some snarl and netfront presence.

The 3rd line has been playing like the 4th line anyway, and vice-versa, so I don't think we're in dire straights.

Besides, all of these sites spouting off trade rumors? If you keep going to those sites, they will continue to exist. Please, think of the children and ignore JJ, Ecklund, et. al.

Edited by LordKOTL
  • Upvote 2

Why Pirri? Prior to his injury he wasn't playing well in Rockford. Most nights Pirri was centering Rockfords 3rd line.

If Mills was healthy he'd be playing in Chicago, but I think the next best choice would be Nordstrom to centre on of the bottom 2 lines.

i agree. i think nordstrom may earn the call up after sochi while handzus rests a bit...

DK, my read on that is that Rockford might have been tasked with improving Pirri's checking/defensive capabilities. Hence the assignment to the "checking line" as opposed to the first line. Of course, that assumes that the Rockford 3rd line is a checking line.

Oh Princess, where art thou? We need your input here.

• Upvote 2

Leddy for a #2...

bring Clendening up for the rest of the year...sound good?

now who to acquire?

Frans Nielson of NYI...

he's 29 yrs old to Leddys' 22...

they both make $2.75 illion per, but Nielson is signed for one more year...

we have Clendening, Dahlbeck, Svedberg and soon Johns to fit in...

Nielson is a 50%ish faceoff/top six forward...

do it Stan!

• Upvote 1

Where Bickell had a hot playoffs last year, a few teams may make offers for him to bolster their team for the playoffs. The odds are certainly against it though. I would think that SB would jump all over it though if offers for Bickell did start coming in.

• Upvote 1