The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Hawks biggest bargaining chip ?

I'd have to say Kane. I bet we could lure out a conditional pick from Anaheim for Kaner.

Unfortunately, I would say Pirri. He played fairly well earlier from what I recall. Offensively, he appeared to belong in the NHL. The coaching staff had their issues with him and he was sent back to Rockford. Getting hurt a second time hasn't helped the guy at all either. However, one would think he does deserves another shot, perhaps, though, not with the Blackhawks. Maybe he fetches a 5th rounder that turns out to be another Andy Shaw-type long shot!

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I would say Pirri. He played fairly well earlier from what I recall. Offensively, he appeared to belong in the NHL. The coaching staff had their issues with him and he was sent back to Rockford. Getting hurt a second time hasn't helped the guy at all either. However, one would think he does deserves another shot, perhaps, though, not with the Blackhawks. Maybe he fetches a 5th rounder that turns out to be another Andy Shaw-type long shot!

that would be awesome^- hawks drafting in the late rounds have been fruitful. (byfuglien is one)

regarding Pirri, if i was him, i'll finish the season and then re-sign for a 1-2 yr contract maybe around 900k-1mil+. Handzus is retiring and the hawks capcrunch begins. He will be basically slotted in as a cheap center. I doubt there are any other FAs out there as cheap and as good as him.

I was thinking Toews would the biggest bargaining chip. You can probably get a bunch back in a trade.

Rumour is. They've been shopping Toews. They started premature contract talks with his agent. And apparently. He wants the 25% of the cap for his salary. And it's better to see what you can get while he still has a year left.

And I hope you're not believing a word of that. I thought I'd prove your point by showing how valueable he just it!!!

Throw in a 1st round pick with Toews and they might be able to get Turris!

How about Toews and Kane to WIN for Ladd, Buff, and Frolik. It would make all the people on this board with man crushes happy.

• Upvote 4

I would not want to see Leddy go. Only 22 with too much upside, and not much of a cap hit. As someone said previously, at least let him play out his contract. I'm happy with the team as it is currently constructed. Not flawless, but still as much of a chance to win the Cup as any other team. IMHO, the Blues are the Hawks biggest competition for the Cup this season, but I believe are up against the cap and will have to shed some valuable players in the offseason. A 2LC would be nice for the Hawks, but would rather wait til TT gets an opportunity next season to solidify that position instead of shipping off Leddy or someone else on the current roster.

so it would seem the annual Blackhawks are in the market for a 2nd line centre have sprung up again. a few sites are pointing to our blueline depth. who should the hawks target a pure rental or do we go after someone on a longer contract what with the cap going up. thoughts?

There's no cap space to acquire a legitimate second line centre. It's possible if Stan trades Brookbank and the other team retains salary but that could be costly for us (pick or prospect wise).

Which is why I would bet that any TDL moves will be towards a defensive fwd/role player.

That's all I'm expecting...a 4th line centre is what we need. If cap space is required Kostka can go the other way.

Edit: Stan did his big move by getting Versteeg in November. I would be really shocked if Stan did anything more than a minor move.

Edited by DarthKane

The only type of player Bowman needs to look at acquiring would be a decent 4th line penalty killer. Penalty killing has been their weakest link this year. Getting a 4th line center good at penalty killing and decent at the faceoff dot would allow Shaw to stay at 2nd line center and Kruger as 3rd line center.

Rental would be the way to go with Toews and Kane's contracts on the near horizon, but what's really out there? And moreover, what is actually realistic for Bowman to attain (without getting fleeced on top of it)?

Thornton, Joe »

Stastny, Paul »

Legwand, David »

Grabovski, M. »

Jokinen, Olli »

Roy, Derek »

Santorelli, Mike »

Koivu, Saku »

Garbutt, Ryan »

Goc, Marcel »

Mitchell, John »

Ott, Steve »

Vitale, Joe »

Winchester, Jesse »

Bolland, Dave »

Handzus, Michal »

Boyle, Brian »

Fiddler, Vernon »

Smith, Trevor »

Malhotra, Manny »

Moore, Dominic »

MacKenzie, Derek »

Halpern, Jeff »

Carter, Ryan »

Regin, Peter »

Gomez, Scott »

McCormick, Cody »

McClement, Jay »

Kearns, Bracken »

Lewis, Trevor »

Hall, Adam »

Jones, Blair »

Konopka, Zenon »

Fraser, Colin »

Newbury, Kris »

Many on this list belong to teams that most likely would never deal with us (Conference/Division foes). Grabovski jumps out, but Washington isn't out of the playoff hunt yet. Marcel Goc sticks out, but I can't say how he'd fare as I haven't followed Florida closely enough. Jokinen's out there -- a player that's been suggested in the past around here; with a trading partner who's been willing in the recent past and whose team won't make the playoffs this year -- but Winnipeg might want too much in their effort to rebuild.

Edited by Granada

Rental would be the way to go with Toews and Kane's contracts on the near horizon, but what's really out there? And moreover, what is actually realistic for Bowman to attain (without getting fleeced on top of it)?

Thornton, Joe »

Stastny, Paul »

Legwand, David »

Grabovski, M. »

Jokinen, Olli »

Roy, Derek »

Santorelli, Mike »

Koivu, Saku »

Garbutt, Ryan »

Goc, Marcel »

Mitchell, John »

Ott, Steve »

Vitale, Joe »

Winchester, Jesse »

Bolland, Dave »

Handzus, Michal »

Boyle, Brian »

Fiddler, Vernon »

Smith, Trevor »

Malhotra, Manny »

Moore, Dominic »

MacKenzie, Derek »

Halpern, Jeff »

Carter, Ryan »

Regin, Peter »

Gomez, Scott »

McCormick, Cody »

McClement, Jay »

Kearns, Bracken »

Lewis, Trevor »

Hall, Adam »

Jones, Blair »

Konopka, Zenon »

Fraser, Colin »

Newbury, Kris »

Many on this list belong to teams that most likely would never deal with us (Conference/Division foes). Grabovski jumps out, but Washington isn't out of the playoff hunt yet. Marcel Goc sticks out, but I can't say how he'd fare as I haven't followed Florida closely enough. Jokinen's out there -- a player that's been suggested in the past around here; with a trading partner who's been willing in the recent past and whose team won't make the playoffs this year -- but Winnipeg might want too much in their effort to rebuild.

#bringbackfraser

• Upvote 1

^ #DoesDallasStillHaveBurishLockedUp

San Jose gave him a ridiculous deal, he has $1.85 million left for this season and 2 more.

The only type of player Bowman needs to look at acquiring would be a decent 4th line penalty killer. Penalty killing has been their weakest link this year. Getting a 4th line center good at penalty killing and decent at the faceoff dot would allow Shaw to stay at 2nd line center and Kruger as 3rd line center.

Wouldn't Handzus be the 4th line center if Shaw and Kruger moved up permanently?

Gagner for Oduya and Pirri.

Let's face it. People on these boards want Gagner because he's Kaner's buddy.

Gagner's $4.8M/3yrs doesn't work with the Hawks long term cap management. Even with Oduya's $3.4M/2yrs coming off the books.

I agree with most of the other people, most likely anybody coming over in a trade is a rental player on the last year of their deal. Anybody with more years is going to need to have a $1-2M cap hit, tops.