The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

...Is Nick Leddy. The guy has been a defensive liability but overall, an excellent offensive defenseman. His game has slipped a bit lately and he's been on the decline on the PP. This team has a log jam at defense and he's the one young asset that can be used to fix the 2LC spot once and for all. He can be packaged with a prospect or pick for Gagner. EDM needs major help on D and more mobility in that area which is exactly what Leddy provides. Thoughts???

• Upvote 3

That's a type of move that's done in the off season. But I agree that Leddy could be dealt, the only challenge is replacing him as the 5th D man. None of Roszival, Brookbank, or Kostka are the answer. I don't think Clendening is ready, Dahlbeck has been impressive so he may be ready to go. If we were to deal Leddy I'd like to get a cheap veteran D back, not a star obviously but somebody who can play regularly on the bottom unit (in addition to a young forward).

Edited by DarthKane
  • Upvote 1

Other than Keith, who carries the puck up from the back end with speed? Oduya? Hjammer?

Leddy is still young. He has improved a ton since he was picked up by SB. Keith and Seabrook were allowed to grow together in an empty UC.

I don't understand the frustration with Leddy. The Hawks are a +43 goal differential with the 3rd or 4th most points in the league. I agree that 2LC is still an underwhelming position, but disagree that it's time to ship the only other puck-moving defenseman they have.

If they have chips, it's Pirri, Morin....etc.

• Upvote 7

...Is Nick Leddy. The guy has been a defensive liability but overall, an excellent offensive defenseman. His game has slipped a bit lately and he's been on the decline on the PP. This team has a log jam at defense and he's the one young asset that can be used to fix the 2LC spot once and for all. He can be packaged with a prospect or pick for Gagner. EDM needs major help on D and more mobility in that area which is exactly what Leddy provides. Thoughts???

Leddy ($2.7M) and a non-roster prospect/pick for Gagner ($4.8M) wouldn't leave enough cap space for the Hawks to fit him. And it's highly unlikely EDM would eat any part of Gagner's salary since they are nowhere near the cap floor. (they are already retaining Dubnyk's). And even if they did, at best it would only leave the Hawks room for a 22-man roster. That's what they're carrying now but it's by choice. They do have the room to call-up another player.

Also, with Kane and Toews' contracts expiring, the Hawks can't afford to pick up multi-year, expensive contracts.

Plus, I don't know how Leddy helps EDM. They have too many offensive minded players on their roster. That seems to be their problem.

Edited by vegarover
  • Upvote 1

I'd keep Nick Leddy! I know a few D prospects are gettin' penciled-in to line-up but none of em have seen ANY big league action yet,that's why penciles have erasures !

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 3

I agree with GV, Pirri would seem to be the best offering the Hawks could part with this TDL, especially if Quenneville has little interest in the reigning AHL scoring leader. It is a shame but it is what it is. (Not sure if there is an Addams Family reference right there?).

while i agree that leddy is a big bargaining chip, leddy for a rental 2C would be a big mistake. i say let leddy run out his contract here and re-evaluate then

Not Gagner. But perhaps someone like Hanzal.

The Hawks need a top six guy with some size.

hanzal would be nice, but i dont think they would ask for Leddy. they have enough leddy-type dmen. Pirri for hanzal, somehow it doesnt make sense to me (just IMO), maybe a couple of picks for Hanzal?

Why would the Coyotes trade their top line Center for a 5/6 D man ? or for picks when they're battling to be in playoff contention?

Pipe dreaming and I like it, but it makes ZERO sense for PHX, especially when he's a 3.1M for the next 3 years.

If Gagner is your target (and I like it), you have to free up cap space. He's a 4.8M/yr through 15/16. Oduya or Hjammer would be going the other way (don't think it's worth it)

Edited by GV4186

Strange the OP says he is a defensive liablility, or his game has slipped, I have not see it. He is a +10 all while having rotating D partners. His Speed and rushing ability more then make up for his lack of Size or crease clearing abilities. He is not, nor will he ever be a Physical D-man. I'd take leddy over any others teams 3rd or 4th D-man, let alone 5th or 6th as hes currently slotted here.

We are very fortunate to have the depth on D the hawks have.

• Upvote 6

If we are to keep 2 of Oduya, Leddy, and Clendening to have a puck mover on each d-pair (Keith is obviously on the top pairing), I would move Clendening. His stock is relatively high and I just see Leddy being a better complete player (now and once he has fully matured) than Clendening is now and may ever be. And although Oduya is the player (besides Bickell) who gives me fits game in and game out (makes errant passes, rarely wins board battles, can't clear the zone), there is something to be said about the Swede connection with Hjalmarsson that maybe has contributed to Hammer finally maturing into a solid defender for us. So of blueliners, Clendening is our biggest bargaining chip IMHO.

For forwards, assuming Teravainen is our 2LC whether by season's end, next year, or the year after, then Pirri is our biggest bargaining chip as far as forward prospects go. Given his skill set and given that Toews has 1LC locked up pretty much until he retires, it's 2LC or bust for Pirri. I don't think he would thrive at all as a checking center. With that said, if Teravainen is at 2LC, Pirri has no spot. I like Pirri a lot and hope he would make the starting roster in the near future, but I just don't see it happening due to whatever qualms Q has with him.

Morin is also a bargaining chip.

Unlike Keith or Kane, Leddy doesn't have an own goal this year. IMHO that says a lot about how much of a liability he really is.

• Upvote 2

I'm not knocking Leddy. I like him as much as the next guy, but in order to attain someone of any value to this team you must give value back. We have an abundance of defensemen that are offensive minded and fast to move the puck, but we desperately need and do not have a scoring threat up the middle on that second line. Kane's lack of production lately is a direct example of that. Leddy is a nice player, but he's expendable at this point in time...more so than a Bryan Bickell, Johnny Oduya, or enter another name here.

The three biggest goats on the team right now are Bickell, Zeus, and Oduya IMHO. Who we can get for them+Leddy+a prospect will not likley equal the loss of Leddy and the prospect.

I'm not knocking Leddy. I like him as much as the next guy, but in order to attain someone of any value to this team you must give value back. We have an abundance of defensemen that are offensive minded and fast to move the puck, but we desperately need and do not have a scoring threat up the middle on that second line. Kane's lack of production lately is a direct example of that. Leddy is a nice player, but he's expendable at this point in time...more so than a Bryan Bickell, Johnny Oduya, or enter another name here.

Desperately need?

30-8-11 +42 goal differential

I would be against trading Leddy unless it makes the Hawks get better now and it works with the salary cap - now and in the future.

To me, Gagner is very similiar to Pirri - good enough offensively to play in the NHL, not a great skater, and not good defensively. With Q's reluctance to play Pirri, my guess is he wouldn't want to play Gagner for basically the same reason - not big, not good defensively and not a good skater.

The question of trading Leddy is an interesting one though because the Hawks are in kind or a dilemma. With Hjalmarsson's and Crawford's new deals kicking in next season and the Hawks needing to re-sign Raanta, they may need to offload some salary and there has been speculation that Oduya ($3.4M) might be the guy shipped out and Leddy would move up to the 2nd d-pair. But then Leddy would be in a better position to demand a higher salary when his current deal is up after the 2014/15 season. By trading Leddy and keeping Oduya, the Hawks free up $700K less on the Cap, but then end up with a D-man 10 years older than Leddy and lose that future they would have with Leddy.

I say keep them both if you can, but if you have to trade one of them - I would rather keep Leddy and trade Oduya. More upside and 10 years younger.

Edited by EbonyRaptor
  • Upvote 3

I would be against trading Leddy unless it makes the Hawks get better now and it works with the salary cap - now and in the future.

To me, Gagner is very similiar to Pirri - good enough offensively to play in the NHL, not a great skater, and not good defensively. With Q's reluctance to play Pirri, my guess is he wouldn't want to play Gagner for basically the same reason - not big, not good defensively and not a good skater.

The question of trading Leddy is an interesting one though because the Hawks are in kind or a dilemma. With Hjalmarsson's and Crawford's new deals kicking in next season and the Hawks needing to re-sign Raanta, they may need to offload some salary and there has been speculation that Oduya ($3.4M) might be the guy shipped out and Leddy would move up to the 2nd d-pair. But then Leddy would be in a better position to demand a higher salary when his current deal is up after the 2014/15 season. By trading Leddy and keeping Oduya, the Hawks free up $700K less on the Cap, but then end up with a D-man 10 years older than Leddy and lose that future they would have with Leddy.

I say keep them both if you can, but if you have to trade one of them - I would rather keep Leddy and trade Oduya. More upside and 10 years younger.

Honestly, Leddy has not played well with lefty D-men in the past. I would think the smart move is to keep Seabs, Keith, Hammer, and Leddy. fill the R positions for pairings 2 and three with either righties or lefties who can play righty and see if anything sticks at a low cost.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, Leddy has not played well with lefty D-men in the past. I would think the smart move is to keep Seabs, Keith, Hammer, and Leddy. fill the R positions for pairings 2 and three with either righties or lefties who can play righty and see if anything sticks at a low cost.

the hawks had that before and it was a disaster until Oduya came in and solidify the top 2 pairing. not saying leddy is expendable at this point, but the bolded top 4 wasnt as good as the top 4 now.

I'd have to agrue that Pirri and Morin have good return value in a trade...remember neither of them were moved in the Versteeg deal...if those guys put up half decent numbers on the Hawks then any of the other 29 teams would love to have them...TT isn't going anywhere...

leddy and oduya would quite possibly be have the same caphit or close. unfortunately "there can only be one" (reference?!) but yea, as much as i hate to see it, OD will be on his way out. for some reason, a young high potential who obviously is not a shutdown dman, is just hard to compete against.

no gagner please...i would rather wait until tt comes over next year. if we make a move for anything right now, imo, it should be for a power forward to play on the second line. i would pass on giving up on leddy as well. the kid is in his fourth nhl season and he is 22 frickin years old...