The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
I-miss-Wis

The Crawford Thread

Wow! You guys will be very surprised after next two weeks... The Issue is that now Raanta will take his place as a number 1 goalie just a little bit earlier than anyone expected. CC should be worried about his rank after the injury. =)

Considering his numbers in the Finnish elite league last year and how he was the MVP and led his team in winning the playoffs, I don't think anyone who follows hockey will be surprised if he steals the number one spot but until Crow proves otherwise, he's the man.

I seriously doubt they are relaxed with Crow in the net all the time. Hawks can be doing great and Crow lets in a softy and there goes momentum, happens too many times to be relaxed. Someone said in the thread if Hawks had an elite goalie they'd be unstoppable, I almost think the same, other than when they don't "show up" for a few games. After watching Raanta play he needs work, but that's to be expected. I think everyone forgot how BAD Crow was when he first came up from the minors, he's still average. Yeah Yeah he won a cup, but not single handedly. Can you imagine him on any other team,say Islanders or Columbus?

I wouldn't go wasting Pirri for a band-aid goalie. Q might not want him, but I think he has tons of potential. Raanta will do fine, softy here and there, but we should all be used to that by now anyhow.

Have you not watched this team for the last 6-7 years? It seems to be the D's M.O. more often than not. They go about 5-6 games with a *known" quantity in net before they slack off a bit, then the goalie gets switched, they play strong until the other goalie is "known". Wash, Rinse. Repeat.

The times that pattern has been broken is when we've done good--namely 2010 and 2013.

Karlsson wasn't loaned to Skellefteå. He signed there after the Hawks didn't re-sign him this off-season. The Hawks have zero rights to him.

As for Carruth, this is his first year as a professional. Simpson is in his second. That's why Simpson is ahead of him on the depth chart.

http://blackhawks.nh...ge.htm?id=47390

It's been awhile since I've seen Simpson and Carruth duel each other diecrly on the ice for Everett and Portland, respectively, but between the two I'd choose Carruth based on the eye-test.

However, Simpson does have the extra time at the AHL level, so pulling him up was indeed the smart move. Hopefully this pushes Carruth forward in the A.

Man, are we spoiled. We old guys compare current goalies to Hall, Espo, and Eagle. The new guys compare current goalies to Niemi. Crawford and Raanta are both solid NHL goalies. If I were emperor of the Hawks, I'd ride them. Since Crow is down for a bit, let's see what Raanta can do over the next couple of weeks. BTW, I used to go to a lot of Sharks games, and Greiss is pretty darn good. Depending on what Phoenix would be looking for, he might be a guy to try and get if Crow is down for too long and if - only if - Raanta tanks. But having seen Raanta in person last Friday at the U.C., he looks quick, confident, and has good poditioning. The shootout was just sucky, but the whole team looked pretty disinterested. Just my $0.02.

Only thing I disagree with is Raanta has a tendency to lose his net, but overall I agree--both Crawford and Raanta have looked "good enough" when our D is playing up to their salary level. I don't see how anyone could be dissapointed in either.

I feel Raanta will do just fine in Corey's absence, he has shown promise in his first few starts. I'm just slightly shocked with all the negativity towards Crawford. Guys! He's played well. He has grown a lot over the last few seasons and has proven himself to be a starting goaltender; yet we still see some people ready to throw him under the bus at any given moment.

We should be happy that we have a good goalie behind him developing to step in when need be (not like Khabby?).

Get better soon Crow!

Stick around a while and you'll get used to it!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

from twitter

- Crawford out 2-3 weeks

- Quenneville, on whether Kent Simpson is a long-term solution with Crawford out 2-3 weeks: "We'll see. He deserves a chance."

I seriously doubt they are relaxed with Crow in the net all the time. Hawks can be doing great and Crow lets in a softy and there goes momentum, happens too many times to be relaxed. Someone said in the thread if Hawks had an elite goalie they'd be unstoppable, I almost think the same, other than when they don't "show up" for a few games. After watching Raanta play he needs work, but that's to be expected. I think everyone forgot how BAD Crow was when he first came up from the minors, he's still average. Yeah Yeah he won a cup, but not single handedly. Can you imagine him on any other team,say Islanders or Columbus?

I wouldn't go wasting Pirri for a band-aid goalie. Q might not want him, but I think he has tons of potential. Raanta will do fine, softy here and there, but we should all be used to that by now anyhow.

ignorance... don't cha just love it?

yeah, you and he don't agree so he MUST be ignorant. LOL at the arrogance in this forum.

Are you ignorant of the definition of ignorant? He isnt ignorant because he & I disagree--he is ignorant because he obviously has no clue as to how Crawford performed "when he first came up from the minors". He said, and i'll quote again "I think everyone forgot how BAD Crow was when he first came up from the minors." Note the emphasis on the "BAD". Only a person ignorant to Crawford's early performance would make that statement.

If "first came up from the minors" is defined as his first NHL start after playing more than 1 season in the "minors", would you call a shutout against the defending Stanley Cup champions "BAD"? How about his next start after that against the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Red Wings where he only gave up 2 GA on 46 Shots for a .957 SV%?

Maybe he was talking about Crawford's first 10 game played in after he completed his first season in the "minors". If so, i dont know how a .917 SV% could be called "BAD"...

Of course, he could have been talking about Crawford's official rookie season in 2010/2011, but then again, Crawford posted a .917 SV% that season as well. So probably not that either.

How about Crawford's first playoff series--could he have been calling that "BAD"? Not unless a .927 SV% qualifies... I wouldnt think so.

In summary, I called the guy ignorant becasue he proved himself to be ignorant, not becasue I'm somehow arrogant for knowing the facts. And you, sticking up for him without checking the actual history to see what indeed transpired, also proved to be ignorant.

If you, or others, dont want to be called ignorant, try educating yourselves before you come onto a public forum & post nonsense in the form of facts.

• Upvote 8

LA (2)

Colorado

Vancouver

St. Louis

Nashville

I'm fine with Raanta until then. No need to go try and get someone.

I would rather they not rush CC back. Groin injuries are just nasty and coming back early is a recipe for a lengthier stay on the shelf.

Go Hawks

LA (2)

Colorado

Vancouver

St. Louis

Nashville

I'm fine with Raanta until then. No need to go try and get someone.

I would rather they not rush CC back. Groin injuries are just nasty and coming back early is a recipe for a lengthier stay on the shelf.

Go Hawks

agreed. let him heal up strong. no need to rush him back in december.

from twitter

- Crawford out 2-3 weeks

- Quenneville, on whether Kent Simpson is a long-term solution with Crawford out 2-3 weeks: "We'll see. He deserves a chance."

So let me get this straight, Q thinks that Simpson, who has put up garbage numbers in the AHL (6-7-0, 3.38GAA, .900 SV%) deserves a chance while Pirri, last seasons AHL scoring champ who is a PPG player there this year AND has performed well for the Hawks does not deserve a chance to fill the other glaring hole in the Hawks lineup. Using Q's logic Pirri just needs to stop producing (or cut his PPG production to .5, the same as Nordstrom who got another chance) and then he will be called back up.

• Upvote 1

So let me get this straight, Q thinks that Simpson, who has put up garbage numbers in the AHL (6-7-0, 3.38GAA, .900 SV%) deserves a chance while Pirri, last seasons AHL scoring champ who is a PPG player there this year AND has performed well for the Hawks does not deserve a chance to fill the other glaring hole in the Hawks lineup. Using Q's logic Pirri just needs to stop producing (or cut his PPG production to .5, the same as Nordstrom who got another chance) and then he will be called back up.

Comparing skaters to goalies is like comparing apples to oranges. Besides, Q has multiple player options already on the NHL roster that he can use instead of Pirri. Where when it comes to who's backing up Raanta there's only 2 options in the entire organIzation. Simpson or Carruth.

What's Q gonna say about Simpson? "Oh man we're screwed!"? lol

• Upvote 1

Comparing skaters to goalies is like comparing apples to oranges. Besides, Q has multiple player options already on the NHL roster that he can use instead of Pirri. Where when it comes to who's backing up Raanta there's only 2 options in the entire organIzation. Simpson or Carruth.

The only thing funnier than your hypothetical comment that Q could have made was if you had him follow that up with a question to the media about they thought he should do.

I think there is no need to bring a fourth goalie via a trade if CC can come back after 3 weeks. Hopefully Raanta will perform well enough to become the official back up once CC returns.

I am more concerned by the fact that he may fail and then we'd be stuck with Khabby (injured or not) than by the few games the Hawks may loose during CC injury (they are on top of the league and there will be plenty of time to recover a better position if needed)

No. Im just Finn who knows how good goalie he is. I've been around Hockey app. 48 years. I started to play hockey when I was 6.

This guy's been around hockey 48 years and played when he was 6. He says Raanta is better than CC. After 4 games or so.

I say we get in touch with Stan, and demand that he's hired on as an advisor. Hell, maybe just have him run the entire show.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

I don't know, Raanta is good but I haven't seen much of him (only as a Blackhawk and A game as an Icehog), but Crawford last season/ last playoffs and parts of this season has been remarkable! Remarkable enough to get a lot of mentions in a Canadian Olympic roster. Raanta is a solid goalie though, that I have no problem with in net for Crawfords absence. I'm also all for throwing Simpson in the net any given night on a game time decision to see how he does.

Where in time is carmen cristolbal huet? hahaha while we're at it maybe jose three or more ;). All jokes aside im amped to see Raanta at #1 and testing Simpson.

This guy's been around hockey 48 years and played when he was 6. He says Raanta is better than CC. After 4 games or so.

I say we get in touch with Stan, and demand that he's hired on as an advisor. Hell, maybe just have him run the entire show.

Thoughts?

I'm Canadian and I've been playing over 30yrs, maybe I can run things lol hell I'll be the water guy.

Here's a question, let's say Raanta goes 8-2 during Crawford's absence with a 2.20 gaa and .928 save %. Goalie controversy?

No, for two very important reasons 1.) Crawford has already proven himself when it matters the most, and that is the SC playoffs and 2.) he just signed a big contract extension. I hope Raanta puts up those numbers and helps the Hawks keep up their current pace as well as the fact that it will make him an extremely valuable trade chip down the road to fill other needs on the roster.

Here's a question, let's say Raanta goes 8-2 during Crawford's absence with a 2.20 gaa and .928 save %. Goalie controversy?

Only if when Crawford comes back he struggles. People seem to have a short memory about Crawford. About 2 weeks ago Crawford was near the top of the league in most stat categories for starting goalies except shutouts. Since then I think the amount of games Crawford has played started to catch up to him. I believe he played in every game for about a month straight, either as a starter or relieving Khabby.

Even if Crawford does struggle, there's a big difference between a goalie controversy in the fan-base/media, than in the organIzation.

Edited by Grimreaper23
  • Upvote 2

I agree with you that comparing skaters to goalies is apples and oranges, but in this case I have an issue in how he worded his answer and how that applies to the other decisions he has made recently, specifically regarding Pirri. Simpson does not "deserve a chance" as Q stated, his numbers have bent terrible in Rockford, maybe a better choice of words should have been "he is getting a chance".