The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
I-miss-Wis

The Crawford Thread

No doubt, its the kids first year in North America and he is clearly still adjusting yet people will always point out negatives.

He's 3-0-1 and like CI pointed out, 2.16gaa and .922 save %, Not bad considering he's playing on a new team, different continent and different culture.

+1

im worrying about the back-up. Raanta can handle himself as a no1 for a week or 2, but when you look at the schedule, 2 straight back-to-back games. the back-up probably will play. is Simpson ready? or Q would play Raanta 4 games in a row? (assuming CC is out the next week)

Who knows, this may inspire the D and the PK to tighten the ship a bit. Maybe they got a little too relaxed with Crow in net and this will refocus them. This team tends to come out of adversity even stronger.

I seriously doubt they are relaxed with Crow in the net all the time. Hawks can be doing great and Crow lets in a softy and there goes momentum, happens too many times to be relaxed. Someone said in the thread if Hawks had an elite goalie they'd be unstoppable, I almost think the same, other than when they don't "show up" for a few games. After watching Raanta play he needs work, but that's to be expected. I think everyone forgot how BAD Crow was when he first came up from the minors, he's still average. Yeah Yeah he won a cup, but not single handedly. Can you imagine him on any other team,say Islanders or Columbus?

I wouldn't go wasting Pirri for a band-aid goalie. Q might not want him, but I think he has tons of potential. Raanta will do fine, softy here and there, but we should all be used to that by now anyhow.

• Upvote 1

I seriously doubt they are relaxed with Crow in the net all the time. Hawks can be doing great and Crow lets in a softy and there goes momentum, happens too many times to be relaxed. Someone said in the thread if Hawks had an elite goalie they'd be unstoppable, I almost think the same, other than when they don't "show up" for a few games. After watching Raanta play he needs work, but that's to be expected. I think everyone forgot how BAD Crow was when he first came up from the minors, he's still average. Yeah Yeah he won a cup, but not single handedly. Can you imagine him on any other team,say Islanders or Columbus?

I wouldn't go wasting Pirri for a band-aid goalie. Q might not want him, but I think he has tons of potential. Raanta will do fine, softy here and there, but we should all be used to that by now anyhow.

ignorance... don't cha just love it?

• Upvote 4

Wow! You guys will be very surprised after next two weeks... The Issue is that now Raanta will take his place as a number 1 goalie just a little bit earlier than anyone expected. CC should be worried about his rank after the injury. =)

• Upvote 4

Stop yourselves with the talk of bringing in a #1 goalie from another team. LOL The Hawks are a million dollars under the cap. Miller makes over 6 and Thomas makes over 2. Not going to happen.

If the Hawks traded someone off their current roster, that would free up space. Not to mention teams can retain salaries like what happened in the Versteeg deal. So if the Hawks really feel the need to go out and get another goaltender, they can make it work.

However, I'm not as concerned about Raanta being the #1 goalie while Crawford is out as I am concerned about Simpson being the #2 goalie during that time. The Hawks have a bunch of back-to-back games coming up which means the #2 WILL play. And from all the prospect reports I have read/heard over the past couple of years, it doesn't sound like Simpson is anywhere near ready.

Going after a big money #1 goalie is completely out of the question, but there are quite a few #2 goalies out there who could be a good fit and even be the #1 if Raanta wasn't up to it. Here's some guys I can think of...

MacDonald-CGY (currently in AHL, played well last year on a bad team)

Peters-CAR (although with Khubodin hurt they might want to hold onto him)

LaBarbera-EDM (same deal as above with Bryz hurt)

Greiss-PHO

Lindback-TB

Lack-VAN (would have been in the NHL years ago if not for Schneider/Luongo mess)

Not to mention all the good #2s in the Central division, but I doubt those teams would deal with the Hawks this early into the season.

Wow! You guys will be very surprised after next two weeks... The Issue is that now Raanta will take his place as a number 1 goalie just a little bit earlier than anyone expected. CC should be worried about his rank after the injury. =)

Just made a slight correction to your post...

Edited by BucksNBlackhawks
  • Upvote 2

If the Hawks traded someone off their current roster, that would free up space. Not to mention teams can retain salaries like what happened in the Versteeg deal. So if the Hawks really feel the need to go out and get another goaltender, they can make it work.

However, I'm not as concerned about Raanta being the #1 goalie while Crawford is out as I am concerned about Simpson being the #2 goalie during that time. The Hawks have a bunch of back-to-back games coming up which means the #2 WILL play. And from all the prospect reports I have read/heard over the past couple of years, it doesn't sound like Simpson is anywhere near ready.

Going after a big money #1 goalie is completely out of the question, but there are quite a few #2 goalies out there who could be a good fit and even be the #1 if Raanta wasn't up to it. Here's some guys I can think of...

MacDonald-CGY (currently in AHL, played well last year on a bad team)

Peters-CAR (although with Khubodin hurt they might want to hold onto him)

LaBarbera-EDM (same deal as above with Bryz hurt)

Greiss-PHO

Lindback-TB

Lack-VAN (would have been in the NHL years ago if not for Schneider/Luongo mess)

Not to mention all the good #2s in the Central division, but I doubt those teams would deal with the Hawks this early into the season.

I agree with everything you said here Vega, but especially the part about Simpson. His stats in Rockford have been absolute garbage and after looking at his stats throughout his career at all stops he has been really no more than pedestrian. I have seen him play a couple times up in Toledo and honestly there is nothing in his game that screams he will be an NHL goalie, especially right now.

I feel Raanta will do just fine in Corey's absence, he has shown promise in his first few starts. I'm just slightly shocked with all the negativity towards Crawford. Guys! He's played well. He has grown a lot over the last few seasons and has proven himself to be a starting goaltender; yet we still see some people ready to throw him under the bus at any given moment.

We should be happy that we have a good goalie behind him developing to step in when need be (not like Khabby?).

Get better soon Crow!

• Upvote 6

Just a curious question...what is Karlsson's status right now? I know he was loaned overseas, but can the Hawks recall him on an emergency basis? I know the Hawks still own his rights, but I am unsure of the rules when you loan a player overseas. Maybe someone better versed (Cap or Rob?) would have an answer to this.

Anyway, I highly doubt that they will go outside the organization for another goalie. They have Mac Carruth in Rockford (I would prefer to see him as Raanta's backup honestly), and they also have Karlsson. With them being tight to the cap, I just don't see them going outside to bring another tender in.

Just a curious question...what is Karlsson's status right now? I know he was loaned overseas, but can the Hawks recall him on an emergency basis? I know the Hawks still own his rights, but I am unsure of the rules when you loan a player overseas. Maybe someone better versed (Cap or Rob?) would have an answer to this.

Anyway, I highly doubt that they will go outside the organization for another goalie. They have Mac Carruth in Rockford (I would prefer to see him as Raanta's backup honestly), and they also have Karlsson. With them being tight to the cap, I just don't see them going outside to bring another tender in.

Karlsson wasn't loaned to Skellefteå. He signed there after the Hawks didn't re-sign him this off-season. The Hawks have zero rights to him.

As for Carruth, this is his first year as a professional. Simpson is in his second. That's why Simpson is ahead of him on the depth chart.

http://blackhawks.nh...ge.htm?id=47390

Edited by vegarover

I think this wakes up the defensive part of our team game, it is absolutely essential. That's how an above avg goalie, can win the cup with this team without being an "elite" goalie.

I question Q's comment that Crawford's injury wasn't that serious....a guy unable to put weight on his leg & needing help off the ice looks pretty serious to me - especially a goaltender...it was simply too early to make such a determination or to downplay it - we should know more in the coming days....perhaps moreso from the move(s) the hawks make than an injury report on Crawford.

Raanta will be ok for a couple of weeks, which may be enough time for Khabi to get back into the lineup....and I suspect that is Plan A.

If Khabi & Crawford remain out for an extended period (another 4 weeks), or Khabi comes back & gets shelled, it may force Stan's hand...tho I expect he'd only make a depth move - acquire a backup with NHL experience who won't cost a lot - i.e., no one off the current roster & no top prospect - perhaps a mid-level 3rd or 4th round pick...

The guy that may be available is Justin Peters of Carolina - he was called up to fill in for Ward & Kudobin when they went down & has down quite well for a 3rd string guy....playing another solid game tonight in Vancouver....Kudobin is still out but close to returning & when he does, Rutherford will have a decision to make...if he tries to send Peters back down to the AHL, he'd have to clear waivers first & with teams looking for goaltending help (Islanders, Edm, Calg, etc) Peters clearing is likely not to happen.

Due to their cap situation & place in the standings, Rutherford is unlikely to keep 3 goalies up...so a deal is the most likely course of action - there are reports that Carolina wants to move some salary - in particular one of the guys they extended a couple of seasons ago - Ruutu and/or Gleason....perhaps with Peters included....I doubt Stan goes for that, but perhaps offering a 3rd rd pick might get him some cheap backup insurance...

Don't see Thomas or Miller as realistic options even tho they may be the best goalies available - the price for a rental would be way too steep.

I think this wakes up the defensive part of our team game, it is absolutely essential. That's how an above avg goalie, can win the cup with this team without being an "elite" goalie.

I was coming here to post essentially the same thing. It's a bit of a silver lining thing but maybe this forces the Hawks to focus a little more on the defensive side of their game. They're the leading scoring team in the league but part of that is the style they play with their d-men pinching so much - which also results in more odd man rushes against that often turn into scrambles in the d-zone if they don't score right away on the rush.

I was coming here to post essentially the same thing. It's a bit of a silver lining thing but maybe this forces the Hawks to focus a little more on the defensive side of their game. They're the leading scoring team in the league but part of that is the style they play with their d-men pinching so much - which also results in more odd man rushes against that often turn into scrambles in the d-zone if they don't score right away on the rush.

i agree. this might be just what they needed to focus in on playing some better team d....

Let Raanta plays for 10-15 games and Crow rests...

Raanta will get a lot of experience, I think there is no need actually to trade for a backup.

Furthemore, Raanta's stats are really good, .922 saves and 3-0-1 for a rookie it's not so bad...Let him get experience and then we will see...it could be a great opportunity