The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
I-miss-Wis

The Crawford Thread

I honestly thought Raanta looked bad last night. His rebound control is non existent and he doesn't have the best positioning. I hope the defense can step up their play to not hang this poor fella out to dry.

Raanta has played well enough to win/get at least 1 point in his games so far, so how about we give him a chance and see how it goes before worrying about making a move. If CC is going to miss an extended period of time, go ahead and start looking for someone else, but for now I think Raanta will be able to handle it.

• Upvote 1

What does it matter if Raanta played the games as the number 2 goalie or number 1? He won the games and his numbers are better than Crawfords. I think the Hawks will be fine with Raanta in the net for a couple of weeks. As far as the shootout, he overplayed the shots and admitted as much after the game. He will be much better next time. I've seen him in a couple of shootouts with Rockford and he was outstanding. The prospect of Simpson in the net does scare me a little. From what I've seen in Rockford he is not ready. He is good enough on the initial shot but is very slow to react after that. ie- he will have problems with rebounds. Any goalie they get will just be a rent-a-player for a couple of weeks. Bring Karlsson in from Europe and then send him back. You don't have to give up a top prospect like Pirri for a rent-a-goalie.

• Upvote 1

Raanta has played well enough to win/get at least 1 point in his games so far, so how about we give him a chance and see how it goes before worrying about making a move. If CC is going to miss an extended period of time, go ahead and start looking for someone else, but for now I think Raanta will be able to handle it.

The problem with that strategy is that if you wait and then find that Raanta cannot handle it, the asking price for any contingency will go through the roof as other teams will know you are desperate and ask for much more in return knowing we will have to pay it. I would not be surprised at all if Stan has someone else on the roster in a week if it appears Crawford will be out awhile.

Stop yourselves with the talk of bringing in a #1 goalie from another team. LOL The Hawks are a million dollars under the cap. Miller makes over 6 and Thomas makes over 2. Not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

So I will ask a question that nobody has asked yet, what is the status of Khabby. He obviously was terrible before he got injured but honestly I would rather have him backing up Raanta then finding someone else for a couple reasons. I don't like the idea of a guy with 0 NHL experience (Simpson) backing up a guy with like 4 games of NHL experience, Khabby is already on the payroll and is at least a veteran who can provide some support for Raanta, and most of all you don't have to give up anything for just a stopgap. If Crawford is going to be out long term then you make a move, but if we are talking a couple weeks at most then I could live with Khabby as the backup if he is healthy as it won't cost the organization anything extra.

I know I am going to get blasted for this because even I was extremely critical of Khabby before he got injured and quite honestly didn't ever want to see him playing another game for us. But given the situation the Hawks are in now it is at least a short term fix that comes at no expense of draft picks or prospects to the Hawks.

• Upvote 1

I read today that khabby is not even skating yet. It didn't say when he would be back but I wouldn't think it would

be real soon.

I was up all night thinking about the ramifications of potentially losing Crawford for substantial time -- 15-20 games say. (Actually, I was plowing snow and grading pit roads at da mine midnight shift!). Is there enough confidence to ride it out with a goalie who has minimal experience on NA ice as the starter? From what I've seen of Raanta, both in the preseason and these past few games, he has a lot of upside and could fill in as THE guy if it is only for two weeks or so.

However, if there is any chance that CC is sidelined for a longer stretch, one possibility I thought of was a deal with Philly. They have struggled all season but still are hanging around in the East. They did just lose Lecavalier for a number if weeks so maybe they might have interest in another center. They are spending a ton of money on their blue line already but here goes...

Pirri (not exactly Quenneville's favorite) and Rozsival (Kostka should be ready for a 6-7 dman role) for Emery and a second rounder. Similar to the Florida deal that brought Versteeg back to Chicago and allowed for Hayes and Olsen to get playing time in the NHL, a deal like this one could benefit both clubs. As good as Rozsival has been, there are guys in the system that should be replacing him IMO. Kostka, and Johns before the season is done, and Clendening next year. Pirri seems to be the logical choice to have earned a permanent spot as one of the top 4-5 centers on the Hawks but Q seems to think otherwise. Longer term, Danault and Teravainen may supplant him anyway. Emery was great last year and solid this season. He could fit right in again.

Obviously, the Hawks should be monitoring Crawford's injury, realizing he is their number one goalie for a long time. To rush him back, would be a poor idea. To go with Raanta and another farm hand might backfire big time. Weighing options in light of the Cap, it may behoove them to make a deal and go for another Cup run. Just a thought, anyways.

A problem with that...Rosie is the *only* negative on the team at this time who sees any semblance or regular icetime. Plus, he's on a NMC. Rosie is not going anywhere. Brookbank would bring back more in a ttrade.

So I will ask a question that nobody has asked yet, what is the status of Khabby. He obviously was terrible before he got injured but honestly I would rather have him backing up Raanta then finding someone else for a couple reasons. I don't like the idea of a guy with 0 NHL experience (Simpson) backing up a guy with like 4 games of NHL experience, Khabby is already on the payroll and is at least a veteran who can provide some support for Raanta, and most of all you don't have to give up anything for just a stopgap. If Crawford is going to be out long term then you make a move, but if we are talking a couple weeks at most then I could live with Khabby as the backup if he is healthy as it won't cost the organization anything extra.

I know I am going to get blasted for this because even I was extremely critical of Khabby before he got injured and quite honestly didn't ever want to see him playing another game for us. But given the situation the Hawks are in now it is at least a short term fix that comes at no expense of draft picks or prospects to the Hawks.

Honestly, I think Khabi is going to be out until the TDL or longer.

On the general topic, I think *if* Dr. Craw broke down, now is the best time to do it. Our offense has been strong all year, but as of right now, Seabs and Keith went from being even and negative in the +/- category to being the best d-men in terms of +/- and near he top of the team. Thus the D is shored up and you can see it in their play. Both are not turning the puck over nearly as much, nor firing it on our own net.

Over the last 6 or so years our D has the quirk of playing stronger when an unknown or new presence is in net. This also bodes well.

I'm not saying Raanta will have an easy time, but with the way the D has been in general since the beginning of the Circuis trip, Rannta/Simpson have as good of a chance to succeed as he would on any other roster.

Being forced to use Raanta will prove that this team can win with almost anyone in net.

With a true stud in goal we would be close to unbeatable..

• Upvote 1

Stop yourselves with the talk of bringing in a #1 goalie from another team. LOL The Hawks are a million dollars under the cap. Miller makes over 6 and Thomas makes over 2. Not going to happen.

Thomas would fit under the cap easily if Crawford was out until after the TDL.

Let's not go thinking that Crawford is the best in shoot-outs. Sometimes he is great, other times, not so much. The last couple of games Crawford played before the injury didn't get to a shoot-out cause he couldn't stop the puck from going in the net in regulation. Let's see how Raanta does before we trade away more young talent.

Any team with whom Stan decides to talk regarding a goalie will know that the Hawks would be dealing from a position of self-perceived desperation. That is not a good point to begin negotiations, and could easily lead to the loss of Pirri (not that Q would care, I guess), or even draft picks.

Because of all of that, I am hoping that Crawford's injury heals quickly, because I hate the thought of giving up anything significant for a third-tier goaltender. I would look for a deal happening soon if the injury looks long-term. This is not a team going forward with two rookies in net, nor is it one that will hesitate when it knows the price will increase with every loss.

Get well soon, Crawford.

Then what do you do with him when Crow is back?

They would have banked cap space from the 1m which would then be pro-rated at an higher cap space for March & April and that would give them the ability to have them both on the roster when Craw returns. "Hypothetically" if Crawford was on LTIR until the TDL.

This situation reminds me of what the Bears went through a couple years ago. Their #1 Cutler went down and the job was turned over to Hanie the #2. Hanie then lost 5 of the last 6 games of the season and it cost Angelo his job after the season because he did not plan well for contingencies if Cutler got hurt. We have now lost our #1 in Crawford as well. Raanta has done good not great for us. But now Raanta has been elevated to fill the #1 shoes and I don't believe just being 'okay' will cut it long term. We pretty much have all our eggs in the Crawford basket so he better heal up in a hurry.

Edited by I-miss-Wis

Raanta and Simpson will do just fine in Crawford's absence, no need to go out and get anybody. And like Q said Crawford's injury more than likely isn't serious and will probably be back in, in a couple of games. I'd argue that any goaltender in the AHL is sufficient to at least go .500 over several (e.g. 6-10) games on a team like the Hawks.

Edited by MusicChief1212

Why would Florida trade Thomas? They are so below the cap and their other 2 goalies (Clemmenson, Markstrom) have a combined 3.56 GAA. Thomas is their horse and the only tender in the system capable of playing NHL minutes, it makes zero sense for them to trade him.

• Upvote 2

I personally don't think there will be a difference. The only thing I would worry about is if Raanta can't handle the workload without getting tired. Other than that I think he is just as good as Crawford, who is an average tender.

Edited by weazel-1

This is the first time I've seen a goaltender with a 2.16 gaa and .922 save % get dumped on. If only Crawford had those stats!

No doubt, its the kids first year in North America and he is clearly still adjusting yet people will always point out negatives.

He's 3-0-1 and like CI pointed out, 2.16gaa and .922 save %, Not bad considering he's playing on a new team, different continent and different culture.

• Upvote 3

Who knows, this may inspire the D and the PK to tighten the ship a bit. Maybe they got a little too relaxed with Crow in net and this will refocus them. This team tends to come out of adversity even stronger.

• Upvote 1

Considering what we're paying Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, Oduya, Hossa, Sharp, and Toews, we should only need a "good enough" goalie to get us by in terms of the team D they can bring.

In all of their defense, all of them recently have been playing awesomely.