The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
I-miss-Wis

The Crawford Thread

So your opinion is that he should not have taken Crawford out in the first game after that brutal display. And they came back and won the game in big part to Darling making some huge saves. Not sure I can agree Buff. He did come back with Crawford the next game and it was even worse. It wasn't only 20 bad minutes. It was 20 bad minutes and a full game. We are in the playoffs so how many games do you give Crow before you make a move?

You don't figure out in game 1 and 2 of the playoffs, who your best goalie is.You've made your decision. If you don't know it by then, you're a moron. If you have to revoke your decision after 20 minutes, you're a bad coach.

It just goes to show you that even Q didn't think he had a good year. I know I know, the numbers. His Jennings. That was more of a result of the team. You wanna see how good a goalie is? Look at their shutouts. Good goalies get them.

Q hasn't had much confidence in him for a while, and that's why they were shopping him last summer. From what I heard, that's why Leighton was brought in. To fight for the starters job with Raanta and The Darling. I think this will push CC out the door if a trade comes up, He'll accept it!!!

T, you know alot about hockey, that is clear. But I find it very hard to believe that Q has no confidence in Crawford when you have him riding Crow a ton after the TDL with excellent results proves otherwise.

Has it really come to comparing Crawford and freaking Leighton??? Come on T, you and I both know that there is no way in hell you actually believe what you typed in those last couple of sentences.

• Upvote 3

It just goes to show you that even Q didn't think he had a good year. I know I know, the numbers. His Jennings. That was more of a result of the team. You wanna see how good a goalie is? Look at their shutouts. Good goalies get them.

Q hasn't had much confidence in him for a while, and that's why they were shopping him last summer. From what I heard, that's why Leighton was brought in. To fight for the starters job with Raanta and The Darling. I think this will push CC out the door if a trade comes up, He'll accept it!!!

I for one would be relieved if we got rid of Crawfords contract.

• Upvote 1

It's not inconceivable that the Chicago Blackhawks might need a big game or two from Corey Crawford before this whole saga ends.

There's a ways to go yet.

Edited by Icaddiedforstosh
  • Upvote 3

There's a whole lot of irrational thinking in here. He is simply playing the hot hand, I don't know why this is confusing to some. Look around at the rest of the playoff series', there is a lot of goalie juggling going on.

I would say that Darling had the benefit of the Blackhawks playing much better in front of him yesterday than they played in the previous two games though.

Edited by weazel-1

and if they're still losing despite

There's a whole lot of irrational thinking in here. He is simply playing the hot hand, I don't know why this is confusing to some. Look around at the rest of the playoff series', there is a lot of goalie juggling going on.

I would say that Darling had the benefit of the Blackhawks playing much better in front of him yesterday than they played in the previous two games though.

and if they're still losing despite all the juggling, you can always go golfing....

T, you know alot about hockey, that is clear. But I find it very hard to believe that Q has no confidence in Crawford when you have him riding Crow a ton after the TDL with excellent results proves otherwise.

Has it really come to comparing Crawford and freaking Leighton??? Come on T, you and I both know that there is no way in hell you actually believe what you typed in those last couple of sentences.

Think about it though, he had to get CC into a groove, and it never happened. CC was kinda meh for the last half of the season. Q rode him to see what he needed to see. Now he has no choice but to put in The Darling. Stan was well aware that it was a possibility, as the rest of the coaching staff knew.

Q gave him every chance. But now that it's for all the marbles, there's no chances, just results!!!

• Upvote 1

Think about it though, he had to get CC into a groove, and it never happened. CC was kinda meh for the last half of the season. Q rode him to see what he needed to see. Now he has no choice but to put in The Darling. Stan was well aware that it was a possibility, as the rest of the coaching staff knew.

Q gave him every chance. But now that it's for all the marbles, there's no chances, just results!!!

This is an interesting point. Thinking back, maybe that was the true reason behind the seemingly rapid move to bring Darling up (for more NHL work), send Raanta down and sign Darling to an extension...

It had seemed a bit random at the time, but maybe it wasn't....

• Upvote 1

So the Hawks win the Cup this year with Darling, Crawford is dealt away and the new guy is given a long term extension with a $5.5M raise per at some point this summer...

• Upvote 1

Going with the hot hand which is Darling right now. If Darling stays hot then you ride him all the way to Lord Stanley and have one helluva Cinderella local boy story for the 2015 Hawks. Perhaps he falls back down to earth opening up the door again for CC to either be unstoppable a la 2013 Conn Smythe quality goaltending or he proves to us that he needs to move during the offseason by getting lit up again. Of course if they both fall flat on their faces we're out of the playoffs anyways...

So the Hawks win the Cup this year with Darling, Crawford is dealt away and the new guy is given a long term extension with a $5.5M raise per at some point this summer...

Why? Darling makes somewhere in the 600K salary and is signed for another two years. There is no way he gets close to $5.5 mil in the summer even if they win the cup. Why would any team do this?

Why? Darling makes somewhere in the 600K salary and is signed for another two years. There is no way he gets close to $5.5 mil in the summer even if they win the cup. Why would any team do this?

actually, they can't do that until a year from this summer...and even if they could, i agree HFT, they wouldn't.

Wait a minute........Crawford didn't really have a good season and the team won the Jennings?

"I told you so" is always petty but it's the only route the haters can take since the "you can't win a cup with Crawford" stance was so wrong!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Wait a minute........Crawford didn't really have a good season and the team won the Jennings?

"I told you so" is always petty but it's the only route the haters can take since the "you can't win a cup with Crawford" stance was so wrong!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Sorry hsbob but who is this directed at? Who said that Crawford did not have a good season? And what does this have to do with CC struggling in the playoffs? Thanks

as long as the winning continues, CC stays on the bench for this round. Not looking past anything, but a second round matchup against Either Minn or St. Louis is gonna be a really tough draw. He beat both last year, so maybe Q goes back to him. Either way, it's a better problem to have right now than both goalies faltering.

as long as the winning continues, CC stays on the bench for this round. Not looking past anything, but a second round matchup against Either Minn or St. Louis is gonna be a really tough draw. He beat both last year, so maybe Q goes back to him. Either way, it's a better problem to have right now than both goalies faltering.

This is exactly how I see it. Ride Darling as long as you can and if Crow has to go back in so be it.

T, I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree with this statement. After Kane went down Crawford was arguably the biggest reason this team stayed afloat when the offense could barely find the net...and the results bare this out.

• Upvote 5

T, I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree with this statement. After Kane went down Crawford was arguably the biggest reason this team stayed afloat when the offense could barely find the net...and the results bare this out.

Here's the problem I have. And yes, I have talked to some scouts and people close to the team. Everything people like you say on here. Is the exact opposite that I hear from the few that I know within the NHL circle. Everyone here says that he had a good year. Scouts say he had a meh year and the Hawks have buyers remorse of his contract. And when CC got hammered, and sprains/breaks ankle. They ARE NOT happy at all about that.

Say what you will. But a lot of NHL people feel that CC had decent numbers because of the team.

I actually hope that you and others get your wish. And we lose Sharp and Seabrook. I really do. Just so that you guys can see what a team is. I think you guys know some hockey. I don't doubt it. But to think that Crawford is everything you guys say, gets suspect. I think your fandom is getting in the way of your hockey knowledge. I read your posts. And they're good reads. And I'm not just saying that. I'd LOVE for you to sit with a few pro scouts that used to play, and they'd tell you the exact opposite of what you guys say. And now, Q is following suit, why?

Again, I'm not doubting you know the sport as well or better than I. I just think that you're letting your feelings about the player cloud your judgement. And this is NOT a personal attack at you or others. I just find it hard to believe that you can be sooooo spot on in every other thing we discuss on these boards, except this. I know you're seeing the same things I am!!!

• Upvote 1

Crow is a good GT he can be solid, but he owes some of his success to the team in front of him. All things aside we need to be grateful for Darling as I don't think Raanta could have done what he is doing.

If there's a team that wants Crow in the off season, and none of the other tradeable players are getting any serious attention, I think they should deal him. I know what he has done for this team but whether he has to go, or not is just the business.

• Upvote 2

Here's the problem I have. And yes, I have talked to some scouts and people close to the team. Everything people like you say on here. Is the exact opposite that I hear from the few that I know within the NHL circle. Everyone here says that he had a good year. Scouts say he had a meh year and the Hawks have buyers remorse of his contract. And when CC got hammered, and sprains/breaks ankle. They ARE NOT happy at all about that.

Say what you will. But a lot of NHL people feel that CC had decent numbers because of the team.

I actually hope that you and others get your wish. And we lose Sharp and Seabrook. I really do. Just so that you guys can see what a team is. I think you guys know some hockey. I don't doubt it. But to think that Crawford is everything you guys say, gets suspect. I think your fandom is getting in the way of your hockey knowledge. I read your posts. And they're good reads. And I'm not just saying that. I'd LOVE for you to sit with a few pro scouts that used to play, and they'd tell you the exact opposite of what you guys say. And now, Q is following suit, why?

Again, I'm not doubting you know the sport as well or better than I. I just think that you're letting your feelings about the player cloud your judgement. And this is NOT a personal attack at you or others. I just find it hard to believe that you can be sooooo spot on in every other thing we discuss on these boards, except this. I know you're seeing the same things I am!!!

this may be the saddest (most sad?) post I've seen here in a long time...and it justifies my assumption that there are a handful of posters in here that want nothing more than to be right, and prove their superior hockey knowledge over the rest of us, even especially if it means the Hawks have to lose.

I get it man, you know more about hockey than I do...and i don't care! What I care about is this organization being successful, even if it means that I look like a fool on some silly message board that means literally nothing to most here....

Lets assume for a second that I would rather see Seabrook go than CC, which by the way is not true, but lets say I did....my only intention is that I truly believe it would make the organization better...not only now but more importantly in the long run. If it worked out that it happened and it actually hurt the organization, I'd come back and admit my thinking was off...unfortunately, I'd also get barraged with "hahaha, I was right" or "see, I told you so".

So anyway, a lot of people in here know a lot more about hockey than I do...I've stated that many times, I have no problem with it even although that doesn't stop a few from continually trying to throw it in my face...

What I can say is my primary objectives in coming are are; I enjoy this hockey team immensely, I enjoy this community (for the most part)...even the sparring at times, and I have (and hope to continue to) learn(ed) a great deal from many of you. It is not so I can prove others wrong....,,

Edited by Hawkey1
  • Upvote 3

We've always gotten along well in all the other theads but in this one it seems I have to walk on eegshells around you but I have to say this post appears to be gloating and you're better than that!

Cheers!

GO HAWKS!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand why it is so important to say or try to prove that Crow is a bad goalie. He is a good goalie and if it were not for the cap I have no problem with him being the Hawks goalie. The only issue is that the Hawks can't afford to pay any goalie $6mil. I don't care what other teams are paying their top goaltenders. The Hawks do not have that luxury due to the way that this team is built.

I know where a lot of fans are coming from, and I respect that. Before Stan started loading up on goalies during the off season, I was where all of you are. The fact is the Hawks now have perhaps four goalies if Carruth continues to improve as he has that Can play at the NHL level.

Here's the scenario. MacTavish calls Stan interested in CC. He offers Stan Yakupov straight up, you make the deal. You save salary you don't have a log jam of goalies. You replace one of the forwards we may also lose in the purge.

It's not about whether CC is good, whether he's worth six million. Sentimentality aside hockey is a business and must be viewed as such.

Wow, i hope none of those scouts work for the Hawks, because they werent watching the same games that i saw.

While im sure they werent happy with his injury, this was by far his best season... nothing meh about it except maybe the couple weeks after his injury..

I dont want to lose Seabs either, but some players will be moving next season, thats what the cap is all about.

It may be Crow as well, nobody will know until all this plays out..

• Upvote 1

I love CC and I think he had a great year but if the Hawks pass the preds with Darling in the net, I think CC is gone this summer whatever happens after the preds series. With what Darling has proven so far (first OT win in Nashville, third game, second OT win in Chicago) and with a year as starter, he seems to have the potential to bring the Hawks to a cup.

I am not saying CC cannot or will not, but with a more than 5 millions cap dollars difference, it may worth a shot.